F,B,I. issue sidearm???

PDA

Furncliff
January 23, 2006, 07:08 PM
My daughter and I were at the home range yesterday, when she asked what handgun was issued to FBI agents?

Anyone know?

Tom

If you enjoyed reading about "F,B,I. issue sidearm???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KriegHund
January 23, 2006, 07:11 PM
Just taking a random guess here-

.40 cal glocks?

Devonai
January 23, 2006, 07:13 PM
The FBI issues the excellent Sig P228 9mm.

kahrcarry
January 23, 2006, 07:33 PM
Read this thread, got on the phone to a friend who is a Special Agent, and found out that he was issued a .40 S&W Sig. He also said that they use 10mm HK MP5s, and Remington 870 shotguns.

denfoote
January 23, 2006, 08:05 PM
What did they do with all their Glocks???

Ala Dan
January 23, 2006, 08:40 PM
H.R.T. members are issued Springfield 1911 TRP's~!:cool: :D

jungle
January 23, 2006, 08:57 PM
Here is the current list.

Issue - G22

Approved for purchase and duty-G17,19,21,22,23,26,27 SIG 228,226,229 in .40

Longarms include- M-4, 870, MP-5/10mm and a few other more specialized

SWAT/HRT-Springfield 1911 customized

Some of the SIGs are left from earlier buys and the MP-5/10mm looks like it is being replaced gradually with the M-4.

jungle
January 23, 2006, 08:59 PM
ND

choochboost
January 25, 2006, 05:04 AM
Got a friend who's a special agent...he carries a Glock 22.

Devonai
January 25, 2006, 07:21 AM
Wow, thanks Jungle, I had no idea our agents had so many choices these days!

Optical Serenity
January 25, 2006, 10:23 AM
Most of the agents I've worked with (I'm not in the bureau, but as a State LEO I have worked with them) carry a Glock 23 and a H&K MP5 10mm.

Universal
January 25, 2006, 11:48 AM
Last I knew the GLOCK 22 was indeed the issued sidearm of the FBI. I knew they had a list of other approved weapons but not that it was so extensive.

neoncowboy
January 25, 2006, 11:53 AM
Wow, thanks Jungle, I had no idea our agents had so many choices these days!

heh...yeah right!

Inline_6
January 25, 2006, 11:59 AM

Issue - G22

Some of the SIGs are left from earlier buys and the MP-5/10mm looks like it is being replaced gradually with the M-4.
Exactly correct. :cool:

Read this thread, got on the phone to a friend who is a Special Agent, and found out that he was issued a .40 S&W Sig. He also said that they use 10mm HK MP5s, and Remington 870 shotguns.
Can you ask him please when he was issued this? Is it a 229? I thought the Bureau went straight from the 226 in 9mm or 220 in 45ACP to the G22 in the mid-90s. :confused:

STAGE 2
January 25, 2006, 02:27 PM
Whats the reasoning for allowing the g21 but not the p220?

Black Majik
January 25, 2006, 02:42 PM
H.R.T. members are issued Springfield 1911 TRP's~!:cool: :D

Yup, the TRP Professional :)

jungle
January 25, 2006, 04:11 PM
My understanding is that the few SIG 220s issued in the late '80s showed a propensity to crack frames, I understand this has been fixed but may have soured (Sauered?)them on it.

The Glock 22 has been standard since '98. They went from .357 revolvers through 9mm SIGs to 10mm S&W to get there in a little over a decade. Seemed like a different pistol/caliber every few years for a while.

Creeping Incrementalism
January 25, 2006, 04:26 PM
Does anyone know when they dropped the 10mm pistols? Is the MP5/10mm a holdover from the same "era"?

jungle
January 25, 2006, 04:35 PM
The SIGs were a rapid response in 9mm right after Miami, then they did a study and decided 10mm was the ultimate and got Smith to build the SIG -like decocker version of their 10mm in stainless. It was going to be the uber gun. Didn't work out that way for a number of reasons. I think they dropped the 10mm in the early '90s, within a year or two after adoption. Back to SIG during the next search, which got them to Glock.
The MP-5/10mm was a product of the 10mm is best years of the mid eighties to early'90s. H&K no longer produces that 10mm variant and as far as I know no other buyers for it other than the FBI in any numbers to speak of. The price they paid for their special MP-5 was eye -watering. They bought about 1,400.

raz-0
January 25, 2006, 05:12 PM

Issue - G22

I'd have to go with this, as the best answer I got when I looked into it was a subset of that with the caveat that you'll find a mishmosh of weapons and calibers because agents aren't necessaril;y forced to change to the new issued arm.

Master Blaster
January 25, 2006, 05:14 PM
I stand at the bus stop every morning with an FBI agent who works organized crime in the Philadelphia office, He's on the SWAT team, philly doesnt call it HRT. His children and mine are at the same elementary school.

He was issued a G22 Glock in .40 S&W. He carries an MP5 when on SWAT duty. He also was issued the Springfield TRP which is carried along with the MP5 on raids. He told me that although the SWAT team members are issued the TRP, they wonder why they have them, since they all feel that the G22 does its job well.

I told him if he did not want the TRP I would take it:) He laughed.

Inline_6
January 25, 2006, 05:48 PM
I stand at the bus stop every morning with an FBI agent who works organized crime in the Philadelphia office, He's on the SWAT team, philly doesnt call it HRT. His children and mine are at the same elementary school.

He was issued a G22 Glock in .40 S&W. He carries an MP5 when on SWAT duty. He also was issued the Springfield TRP which is carried along with the MP5 on raids. He told me that although the SWAT team members are issued the TRP, they wonder why they have them, since they all feel that the G22 does its job well.

I told him if he did not want the TRP I would take it:) He laughed.
HRT is the national team based out of Quantico. Think Army Delta, but for CONUS problems.

Each field office has a SWAT team that does everything from serving high risk warrants, to helping HRT on national problems (and if HRT cannot get there quickly enough, may be responsible for a hasty raid).

cidirkona
January 25, 2006, 06:39 PM
I stand at the bus stop every morning with an FBI agent who works organized crime in the Philadelphia office

I may just be from small-town Tucson... but why is an FBI agent taking the bus? I would think our finest of the finest would be paid a bit more than that...

"We need you on SWAT, be here ASAP"

"Let me check my bus schedule...."

-Colin

Rob1035
January 25, 2006, 06:42 PM
occasionally, public transit makes a lot more sense than private autos. Think washington, DC:cool:

kahrcarry
January 25, 2006, 07:53 PM
Inline 6,

He said that he was issued the Sig when he first got on, and that would have been 6 years ago. He has apparently had the opportunity to switch to the Glock, but it wasn't mandated, so he didn't. He also said that there have been rumblings of another possible switch. All of the usual suspects were included in the rumblings, but there has been no firm front-runner. According to him, if there is indeed a switch, he's guesing that it will be to HK.

Inline_6
January 25, 2006, 08:52 PM
Inline 6,

He said that he was issued the Sig when he first got on, and that would have been 6 years ago. He has apparently had the opportunity to switch to the Glock, but it wasn't mandated, so he didn't. He also said that there have been rumblings of another possible switch. All of the usual suspects were included in the rumblings, but there has been no firm front-runner. According to him, if there is indeed a switch, he's guesing that it will be to HK.
It was a 229 he was issued? Odd, but cool.

I have heard the same. The Glock contract is up soon and RUMINT says they will go the same direction that DHS did (dual contract for Sigs and HKs). I'd take either over a Glock any day. :D

Master Blaster
January 26, 2006, 10:02 AM
I may just be from small-town Tucson... but why is an FBI agent taking the bus? I would think our finest of the finest would be paid a bit more than that...

"We need you on SWAT, be here ASAP"

"Let me check my bus schedule...."

Hmm I guess I wasnt clear in my post.

Neither He nor I ride the Bus. The Bus stop is for the School bus that our children ride to elementary school each morning. He has a government issued car he drives to work.
I drive my mini van to work, after the big yellow bus picks up our children.:)

isp2605
January 26, 2006, 10:02 PM
You'll find that agents in the offices like NYC and WDC often take the bus or public transportation or if lucky enough to pal with another agent who did swing a G-ride then some will car pool. Not every agent gets a G-ride and there's no public parking around some of the offices for personal vehicles. It's quicker and easier to get in using public transportation. They ain't in Tucson.:p That's life in the big city.

If you enjoyed reading about "F,B,I. issue sidearm???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!