An introduction and question

PDA

safado
April 10, 2003, 02:22 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself, say hello, and ask a few questions. I came across this incredible site several days ago after it was highly recommended to me and I've been reading non-stop for 3 days!

I used to target shoot alot in my younger days but when I went off to college and focused on my career I rarely had the opportunity to shoot. Now that I'm firmly established in my career I've had the desire to resume my passion from my youth.

I've been reading and researching like mad and I'm going to be paying a visit to a local gunstore to feel and handle as many handguns as possible. Then I'll be visiting a local range to try as many as I can.

My question is when looking at manufacturers and a particular model of gun (for example the H&K USP line) is it fair to assume that if the .45ACP USP is highly recommended than the other calibers within the same model would be as well? Or are there instances where a .45ACP in X model of Z manufacturer might be highly recommended but the 9mm in that same model would be poorly reviewed?

Thanks for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "An introduction and question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jesse H
April 10, 2003, 02:29 PM
Hey there and welcome to THR.

I can't recall any instances of where a certain caliber of the same line of pistols would be regarded as a better gun. In my opinion, the caliber decision is up to you.

take care

synoptic
April 10, 2003, 02:31 PM
Welcome!!! Hope you enjoy the board, there is a TON of stuff to learn here.

Others can answer your question better than I, but I'll give it a shot...
Different calibers in the same line of models can be a little different. The .45 version may be great, but the 9mm version may have a lot of muzzle flip. Or the opposite, the 9mm may be great, but the .45 may be too powerful for the gun causing breakage and damage over time (taurus had this problem with their millenium series)...The USP line is great btw, my friend has the 45 and loves it. Like I said, this will get answered better then I can do...

edited for spelling

Double Maduro
April 10, 2003, 03:30 PM
safado,

Welcome to the site and may your God have mercy on your soul. LOL

Many have entered, few have left.

Felonious Monk
April 10, 2003, 03:47 PM
iBienvenidos, Safado!

I'm going to say that each MAJOR caliber is going to have a "defining" style or best gun, so you might be going the wrong direction to think that "as long as I buy a Colt, it's ALL going to be great".

With Semi-Autos, A Browning High Power or CZ pretty much defines what a 9mm should be. Some quality flavor of 1911 does the same for the .45acp. Maybe a Makarov for 9x18, and a CZ-83 or Walther for a .380.

The above is very sketchy info.
What little I know, I blame on having learned it here.
Many will do a better job filling in the holes of what I am trying to get across.

I'll just say: Welcome!
Su primera cerveza esta sin carga. :p

voilsb
April 10, 2003, 04:21 PM
Welcome to the board, safado! where in oregon are you at? there's a few of us sounding off at http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17583 right now. pipe up, and be welcomed!

I can't completely answer your question, but I've never heard of someone saying "Company's .45 is awesome, but their 9 is crap!" Most of what I've heard has been along the line of "I really liked their .40, so I decided to check out their .45 and really liked it, too!"

Ebbtide
April 10, 2003, 04:30 PM
Welcome!

You may run into situations where a firearm designed for a particular caliber (like the 1911) may not work as well in 9mm, 10mm etc. in some salesman opinion. But remember they are trying to sell what they have.

If you like this site and have been reading for three days, check out the now defunked www.thefiringline.com This is where most of us came from and there is three years of searchable info on that site.

Hope this helps answer your quesations,

ehenz

10-Ring
April 10, 2003, 04:34 PM
Hi & welcome! ;)

As for your question...the answer I'd give is...sorta. In some cases (as in manufacturers w/ reputations for quality) all models w/in the line could be recommended...ie. HK, SIG, Beretta etc.

Really tho, have a realistic budget, rent & shoot a variety of guns & buy the one(s) that suit you best! Good luck on your quest ;)

safado
April 10, 2003, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the advice, links, etc. it's much appreciated.

voilsb: I'm located in Portland, westside. Thanks for the link--I've posted over there with questions about dealers and ranges.

DM: what's your favorite cigar??

FM: obrigado!! :D

I've currently got my eyes on H&K, SigSauer, Glock and Ruger though I'm aware there's lots of other guns to be held and tested! If I like the grip and action I'm strongly leaning to the H&K USP .45ACP for my first purchase---with many more to come! :D

Edit for another question: Can't believe I forgot this one but I'm also looking for a good handgun safe. Do they make any biometric (fingerprint) safes yet?

Double Maduro
April 10, 2003, 06:09 PM
Safado,

non cuban, Padron Anniversary Principe Maduro.

ISOM, Monte Christo 5.

The handle comes from the Hoyo de Monterey Rotschild double maduro. Also one of my favorites.

For those of you not in the know, isom stands for Island South Of Miami.

What's your favorite? Some friends and I are thinking about getting together at Cascade on 82nd monday night for a cigar or two, a drink or two and some conversation, if you are interrested let me know.

I agree with most of the posts here, even the one about Taurus. They have fixed the problem and I am thinking of getting a PT145 for carry. It feels so good in my hand that I can hardly make my fingers open up and let go of it.

blades67
April 10, 2003, 06:13 PM
Welcome.:)

I think you will find that there are some companies, such as SIG Sauer, Glock or Heckler & Koch, that you could say that is true., Other companies, such as Smith & Wesson, Taurus, Springfield or Colt (and some .40 S&W Glocks), have had QA/QC problems with some models, so you have to be careful when choosing a used, and sometimes a new, gun.

Hawk
April 10, 2003, 06:42 PM
Based solely on what I've read in GunTests magazine, the 1911 pattern may not be a good choice when chambered in .40SW

Guntests tried .40's from three different 1911 manufacturers and had issues with all.

There's a "teaser" partial review at http://www.gun-tests.com/pub/14_6/features/5012-1.html

Cheers.

cool45auto
April 10, 2003, 07:06 PM
Welcome to THR!:D

Feanaro
April 10, 2003, 07:23 PM
Welcome to the boards. I can't remember any multi-caliber gun getting worse reviews for a certain caliber, unless someone just didn't like that caliber.

If you enjoyed reading about "An introduction and question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!