Checked out a SW MP today

PDA

atblis
January 24, 2006, 03:09 AM
I kinda like it. It definitely has more "soul" than a Glock. The wavy serrations things actually kinda work. The trigger is okay.

If it were a bit cheaper I'd probably buy one to try it, but when I can get CZs for less, why would I bother?

Dealer price was $535 (he had a bunch of them). $435 and I'd probably bite but... Well see.

The grip doesn't seem that much better than a Glock (still have to cock my wrist). Didn't try any of the backstraps though. Those might be nice. They definitely make the Sig Pro fit me better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Checked out a SW MP today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
usp9
January 24, 2006, 10:04 AM
Just looked at one yesterday, but the store owner was asking a hefty $800!!!:what: At that price I'd prefer another HK. I think if I saw a M&P for around $500 I would think seriously about it.

Rob1035
January 24, 2006, 10:23 AM
i played with one as well, and was wholly unimpressed. The grip didnt seem much better, the slide release(s) were all but impossible to operate, and the price, well, whatever. Shooting one would be the real test I guess, but on paper, i'll stick to my glock.

Onmilo
January 24, 2006, 10:55 AM
Did you happen to see any in 9mm??

Shipwreck
January 24, 2006, 11:16 AM
Did you happen to see any in 9mm??

They will not be out for another couple of months

Browns Fan
January 24, 2006, 02:56 PM
What caliber(s) does it currently come in?

Coronach
January 24, 2006, 07:42 PM
The M&P is currently offered in .40S&W. It will eventually be offered in .45ACP and 9mm as well, and I've heard rumours of .357Sig also. Baby versions of each are supposed to be offered as well, which will be better geared for CCW.

The trigger is actually very good for a duty gun, far superior to any Glock I've shot. S&W wants you to slingshot the slide a la the Glock, so that explains the hard to reach slide release. I don't like it, either. As to the grip, be advised that the gun comes with three, so if you don't like one, try the other two.

Complaints that I've heard from testing so far:

1. Slide release. They're going to either redesign it or offer an optional extended one.

2. Light primer strikes. S&W supposedly is aware of the problem and has a fix.

3. I've also heard that the mag floorplate can come loose. While troubling, a redesign would seem fairly simple and easy to execute.

So, it seems good, but it will all hinge on how it hangs in the durability department. Of the problems currently extant, I'm most concerned about the light strikes. If unresolved, that's a serious problem. If the fix messes with the trigger, well...we'll see.

Mike

gudel
January 24, 2006, 11:00 PM
$800? that's too much than I'm willing to pay for.
I'll let you guys debug the gun, then maybe I'll pick one up if they're in the $400-$500 range.

Coronach
January 24, 2006, 11:29 PM
I think that is an artificially high price due to the It's New! factor and the fact that S&W seems to be gearing its current production towards filling big LE orders.

The price should fall to sane levels in a few months. Hopefully the teething problems will be done by then, too.

Mike

atblis
January 25, 2006, 12:01 AM
There were two stacks of them in the case and this was immediatelt after a gun show.

Hopefully we'll see some prices come down. We have several decent pistols competing in the same market (you could argue that it should be just polymer).
Hk
Glock
Sig
XD
S&W
CZ
etc.

Hk seems to rely on their snob appeal, and lowering their price would conflict with this so...

boing
January 25, 2006, 01:03 AM
Boring on paper, but much nicer in person. Egronomic grip (especially considering the capacity), points well, and has a more solid feel than Glock, HK, XD, Kahr. The trigger was kind of glitchy, but light enough, especially for the LEO marketing target. No front serrations, either. ;) I might have one in a CCW size, if the price were right.

Rob1035
January 25, 2006, 02:09 AM
the one here was marked at $560 at a usually overpriced shop, so i'd expect about ~$525-550 once it settles in (blind guessing actually)

Are they planning on a compact version?

Coronach
January 25, 2006, 07:14 PM
Define "glitchy"? I'm always curious if I'm seeing a fluffed and buffed gun, or a production gun when I see an example for eval.

Mike

boing
January 25, 2006, 08:15 PM
It had...artifacts. Not gritty, but I could feel the mechanism "doing things" inside during the trigger pull. Someone else who was there also commented on it, or I might have said it was just me.

It felt like it may have been the mag disconnect, but I don't know if that's possible with the M&P, as it is with the BHP.

Rob1035
January 25, 2006, 08:37 PM
it reminded my of a lightened slightly shortened SW9VE trigger, lots of stuff going on. It could have been simply that i'm not used to the hinged trigger or something...

Coronach
January 26, 2006, 03:52 AM
Gotcha, and I know what you mean. It's not "clean," which is unfortunate, but it is fairly light and steady, or at least mine was. It was not at all hard to shoot.

The one I shot also had several thousand rounds through it by the time I had a crack at it, so it might have smoothed out. Or been hand polished by an eager rep.

Mike

IndianaDean
January 26, 2006, 04:10 AM
I looked at one two weeks ago at the Indy 1500, and I have to say it's the first gun I can ever recall that felt completely unnatural and uncomfortable in my hand. I love S&W's, but not that one.

Coronach
January 26, 2006, 06:51 AM
:D

I gotta say, that is the first S&W auto that does feel natural in my hands. :p

To each their own!

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Checked out a SW MP today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!