British Army sidearm

PDA

Dannyboy
April 10, 2003, 03:31 PM
What is the standard Brit pistol? I saw a clip on FNC this morning and a British soldier in Basrah had what looked to be a stainless pistol on his hip. Now, I know it could have been some Spec Ops guy but the reporter said he (the reporter) was with the Irish Guards. They soldier was also carrying an SA-80, further evidence that it wasn't a Spec Ops guy, if you ask me.

If you enjoyed reading about "British Army sidearm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nightcrawler
April 10, 2003, 03:42 PM
I believe it's the Glock 17, that replaced the Browning HI-Power, but don't quote me on that.

xsquid
April 10, 2003, 04:33 PM
From what I've read so far, the British still use the Hi-Power as their standard issue side-arm.

Lone Star
April 10, 2003, 04:59 PM
As far as I know, they still issue the Browning Hi-Power generally, with the Walther PP .32 for generals and the PPK for aircrew. The Walthers also seem to be used by Field Security and intelligence personnel, which is why they're so prominent in Jack Higgins's books. The SAS and possibly other special ops people have the SIG-Sauer P226 and P228.

Anyone know more? This is a good question, and, "The American Rifleman" doesn't do those reviews of foreign small arms that they once did.

Lone Star

George Hill
April 10, 2003, 05:04 PM
Why would they need to replace the Hi-Powers?:confused:

Lone Star
April 10, 2003, 05:10 PM
They were becoming dated and worn, had safety issues, as with all SA autos, and don't stand up especially well to the very hot Brit service 9mm loads.

London Metro police went to Glocks, which they say endure better than M-35's, which tend to crack the slides right behind the chamber cut-out. Mk. III guns have improved metallurgy and a wider slide just below the chamber, but are probably not British issue.

Lone Star

Zip06
April 10, 2003, 10:40 PM
I thought that the SAS replaced their High Powers with the SIG 226 (a step down IMHO). Perhaps the line troops are also shooting SIG's also.

megatronrules
April 11, 2003, 02:15 AM
I heard the british use the browning hi power as thair side arm and even read that the sas still uses hi powers.

Number 6
April 11, 2003, 03:07 AM
Here are some links that talk about the SAS but not the regular infantry. They say the SAS still uses the Hi-Power, Sig 226, and PPK's.

http://www.specialoperations.com/Foreign/United_Kingdom/SAS/Weapons.htm

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/special_force/

Landfeldmesser
April 11, 2003, 08:04 AM
Why would they need to replace the Hi-Powers
Why did we need to replace the 1911?:(

Brian Williams
April 11, 2003, 08:14 AM
Rumour has it they want a bull pup Glock but have had trouble with FTF.

M1911
April 11, 2003, 08:25 AM
Why did we need to replace the 1911?IIRC, we had not bought any 1911 frames since WWII, so by 1980, they were pretty well worn out. While I might argue about the caliber and gun they chose, the 1911s in service at the time needed to be replaced.

Pappy John
April 11, 2003, 08:28 AM
Thanks, perfessr, for another coffee on the keyboard moment!

Landfeldmesser
April 11, 2003, 08:31 AM
I meant the 1911 in general.

MolonLabe416
April 11, 2003, 12:40 PM
The only sidearm I've noticed in use by the British forces in Iraq is the P-35 Browing HiPower. I'm sure they use other things as well, just haven't seen any footage yet.

BTW, there are no safety issues with the HiPower. Those NDs were caused by operator error.

John G
April 11, 2003, 03:01 PM
Thank you MolonLabe416, I was just about to say that. One could argue that the Glock has "safety issues" resulting from lack of a traditional external safety. They would be wrong, of course.

It comes down to training, and being smarter than the pistol.

SodaPop
April 11, 2003, 10:52 PM
London Metro police went to Glocks

I hung out with an SAS sniper teacher last summer and he told me the majority of his counterparts preferred Glocks.

Stevie-Ray
April 12, 2003, 09:36 PM
Perfessr, ROFL:D

If you enjoyed reading about "British Army sidearm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!