Colt Magazines

PDA

mec
January 24, 2006, 10:01 AM
I've just seen a post on another board saying that Colt gets their 1911 magazines from Mec-Gar. Does anybody know if this is true?

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911 guy
January 24, 2006, 10:31 AM
I've got some of both (colts and mec-gars) and they feel different. My colts are blue and mec-gars are stainless, but they have a definate difference to them.

Ken Rainey
January 24, 2006, 05:11 PM
Unless they just changed vendors, which would be doubtful, Colt's magazines are made by Metalform. There is usually an "M" stamped on the bottom in the corner. My stainless Colt mag has a "M" in the top corner and an "S" under it...behind the prancin' pony and the "Colt 45 Auto" stamping.

mec
January 24, 2006, 06:11 PM
I hope they're made by Metal Form- at one time they supplied the Wilson Combat mags. My colt magazine from 10-15 years ago and the one's from this year have a prominent "C" Stamped on the upper rear corner of the base plate. No "M"s anywhere. Pony and Colt .45 Auto 8 Round. All have shooting star type followers, are apparently seamless and have the base plates attached by identical spot welds.

My old series 80 enhanced stainless came with a 7 round magazine and an eight round spare marked " Shooting Star" on the follower and otherwise, unmarked except for an "S" on the base plate. This one has a prominent seam.

I notice people on the 1911 board giving high marks to MecGar but a few years ago they were lumped right along with USA and Pro Mag for out of the box badness and early demise.

1911 guy
January 25, 2006, 11:01 AM
I can't say anything about the older MecGar mags, but I've got a few newer ones (last couple years) and my pistols go 100% with them. The only mag I still have that's not up to snuff is an old (maybe 10 years) "shooting star" mag. 8 rounds in a 7 round mag with modified follower. Works fine with 7, nose dives with 8.

mec
January 25, 2006, 11:17 AM
Sounds like a lot of what I'm hearing. I'm starting to re-examine my prejudice against M/gar.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!