Knob Creek ENTRY "protocol"?

PDA

Logistar
April 10, 2003, 04:51 PM
I am anxious to get to my first machine-gun shoot this weekend! I know that any weapons would have to be "tied", etc.

I was just wondering about parking and what you have to go through to enter....

If I drive a car that has little ground clearance would I be in trouble? Should I really try and take a truck? Is it easy to get back to your vehicle if you need anything or should I put everything I need for the day in a backpack?

My Dad swears that in order to enter you must provide ID and a FINGERPRINT???????? He usually doesn't joke around much. Is he SERIOUS?

Thanks! (Can't wait!)

Logistar

If you enjoyed reading about "Knob Creek ENTRY "protocol"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Russ
April 10, 2003, 05:01 PM
You should PM Bogie, Oleg or Runt. I know they have all been there before as I'm sure many others on this board have. I drive by the turnoff on 65 twice a day but I have never been there. Maybe I will go if it ever stops raining. You could probably call Knob Creek and ask them if the roads are paved and accomodating of low-riders.

SDC
April 10, 2003, 05:04 PM
If it's anything like when I went, you might seriously consider taking a truck (which might have its own downside); to get into the range you have to cross a Bailey bridge that looks like it's made of rust holding hands, and once you're in, if it's wet, you'll have to look for some high ground so you can climb out and paddle over to the firing line. The ground there IS sort of "hilly" so it's possible you might get "high-centered" in a car with low ground clearance. I personally DIDN'T have to show ID, but that was 3 years ago, and it might have changed since. Have fun, and fire a burst for me :)

mpthole
April 10, 2003, 05:18 PM
to get into the range you have to cross a Bailey bridge that looks like it's made of rust holding hands, and once you're in,
... that's IF you can even drive in from the main road. When I went this past fall, we had to park on the road out past the main grounds entrance, then walk the rest of the way. I think the only way you can drive in is if you're either camping, on the firing line, a vendor or work there. Lots of folks had cars but I was much more comfortable driving my truck into the ditch for parking.

I was never IDed or fingerprinted to get in the gate or walk around the grounds. If you want to rent a full-auto to shoot then I'll bet you'll need to show some sort of ID. But fingerprinting?! I don't think so.

Have fun! Sure wish I could be there this weekend. Durn head/chest cold! :banghead:

Mosher Gun Shop
April 10, 2003, 05:34 PM
You should be able to drive down from the main road. The only reason sometimes your not allowed is because of the rain. When there is too much rain they shut off the parking because they usually have to tow out too many vehicles. I am leaving shortly for the shoot and will be camping. It is not supposed to rain so it should be a good show. Also no id or fingerprint to enter. Guns must be tied and inspected and you may be searched for weapons at the gate. Other than that have a good time and remember the hearing protection.

Brandon
Mosher Gun Shop

CRUSHER
April 10, 2003, 06:34 PM
A 4 whell drive is an asset !
You`ll need to get there early to get to drive anywhere close, like get there before daylight.
See ya there!

Betty
April 10, 2003, 07:26 PM
A vehicle with good ground clearance would be ideal. When we went in the fall, we took Oleg's Honda Accord. We were parking in the campground area and got stuck in the mud.

Nope, no fingerprinting or ID'ing when we went.

I took a small backback with goodies like granola bars, water, etc. There is an eatery & porta-potties there.

There's a cool night show with tracers! :cool:

Logistar
April 10, 2003, 07:27 PM
Doesn't sound too bad guys. Thanks for all the advice. I have been to Knob Creek to shoot but that has only meant parking next to the building and walking out to the firing line.

The machine gun shoot might be a LITTLE more crowded than what I am used to. ;)

It will drive me nuts but I think I might leave all weapons behind. It sounds like bringing them might be more trouble than it is worth. I don't need to fire any of them this weekend I suppose. I just feel kinda... you know... "lost" without them.

Logistar (Knob Creek bound!)

Kcustom45
April 11, 2003, 12:19 AM
When I went to Knob Creek in 1999 (I think) I didn't have to show any kind of ID and there was definitely no fingerprinting. I was in high school at the time and I even rented a M16 and didn't have to show any ID. Things might have changed since then, but I hope they haven't.

cordex
April 11, 2003, 11:15 AM
The only scary bit of KCR entry protocol that I've ever been through is when an older gentleman who claimed to be a bigwig in their security force - and a police officer to boot - pointed a loaded handgun at me.
This was a year ago (not last show, but the show before) and he was standing at the entry putting the cable-ties on guns. While one of the people I was with was getting his gun tied, he accidentally engaged in some light conversation with the security officer which somehow quickly turned into a conversation of what the security-person would do if I (that's right, me ... the fellow standing off to the side completely uninvolved in the conversation being my own polite and unthreatening self) tried to take his gun. He showed how he would slap his strong arm over his primary to keep the gun secure and drew a little, old revolver from his weak pocket, casually pointing it at me, all the while going on about his handcuffs and his work in the sector of public safety.

Needless to say, I was miffed and quickly moved out of the way of the barrel which subsequently covered some people behind me, but my primary concern was immediate survival at the time.

We moved on quickly.

He seemed like a nice guy, if just a little dotty and unfamiliar with the fundamentals of firearms safety. But since he's a cop, no one can teach him about how to be safe, eh?

No fingerprinting and no ID required to get in, YES to all wheel drive and high ground clearance if you can swing it.

I'll be wearing my TFL Alumni shirt and my Molon Labe hat and my usual KCR spit eating grin. Say "Hi" if you see me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Knob Creek ENTRY "protocol"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!