Single Point sling

PDA

rbernie
January 24, 2006, 11:41 PM
I'm contemplating a single point sling for field use (stalking) on a few hunting rifles. I carry my rifles by the receiver much of the time that I'm on foot, but I also like having a carry strap to allow my hands to be free from time to time. I find that a traditional hasty sling/carry strap often catches on brush and generally gets in the way when I'm carrying the rifle in hand.

Do y'all think that a single-point sling might work for me? Anyone got a recommendation on which to try?

If you enjoyed reading about "Single Point sling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
modifiedbrowning
January 25, 2006, 12:34 AM
A lot of people seem to like this one.
http://www.jtrusty.com/ASP sling (http://www.jtrusty.com/)

stevelyn
January 25, 2006, 08:37 AM
I have a single point sling from The Wilderness on a GG&G adaptor for my duty 870. Generally I like it.
However, one slight drawback is that it allows the gun to hang too low for walking or climbing so you have to keep a hand on it to avoid having the barrel banging into your legs.

NMshooter
January 25, 2006, 09:32 PM
My CAR-15 rides on a wilderness single point sling (with GG&G adapter, that is the brand the wilderness stocks, and it is a nice one), and I must say it is the only way to go for a handy little carbine.

Long and muzzle heavy works better with a three point, which keeps it from banging into your knees.

Coltdriver
January 26, 2006, 01:05 PM
I have made slings for my hunting rifles that allow me to carry like a conventional sling or to carry with the sling over my left shoulder and under my right shoulder.

I can walk or climb hands free with the rifle across my chest and stomach at about a 35 degree downward angle to the left.

I can grab the rifle from this position and shoulder it to shoot.

This sling was copied from a commercially available version. They cost less than $10.00 to make from parts I got a REI.

I'll post some pictures later but you basically attach the sling at the front like a normal sling then run it back through the rear loop and then forward again. You attach the front on a slide that is captured at the top by the front loop and allowed to slide rearward about 10 to 15 inches where it is stopped from more rearward movement by a buckle or strap keeper. The pic makes it easier to understand.

The advantage to this over a single point sling is that the rifle remains in a constant position when you are hands free. No swinging around. I have used it on a Savage, a Model 70, an 870 Shotgun and on an Encore.

If you enjoyed reading about "Single Point sling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!