Laser Max sights

PDA

Offwhite
January 25, 2006, 05:15 PM
I had a chance to play with one of these at a gun show this past Sunday but I've never shot a gun with one installed. I am thinking of purchasing one for one of my Glocks but I was curious as to everyones opinion about them or simply laser sights in general or maybe there is a better one out there that I do not know about.

If you enjoyed reading about "Laser Max sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cacique500
January 25, 2006, 11:20 PM
Depends what you're going to use it for. If it's self defense, go with Crimson Trace...the CTC grip is instinctive activation, which means it comes on when you grip the pistol.

A couple of things I've heard/experienced about the Lasermax...

Gets dirty after ~50 to 100 rounds because it replaces the guide rod and the powder residue coats the lens which then requires cleaning.

Replaces internal components. This will bother some people and not bother others. Check your warranty though...if you install one and something goes wrong, it may violate the warranty.

For a self defense situation, you have to remember to reach up and turn the laser on for the Lasermax...and in a SD situation most people will not remember to do that.

The lasermax is constant 'ON' once the switch is flipped, until you turn the unit back off (by pushing the switch on the other side)...the CTC grip can be momentary on/off, by relaxing your grip slightly or by covering the diode with your trigger finger to block the beam.

The lasermax uses a 'pulsing' red dot which they claim is easier to see. I hate the pulsing...YMMV

CTC uses a steady dot which is readily visible and doesn't give you the disco-strobelight headache.

CTC uses CR2032 batteries which are cheap and very easy to get your hands on...the Lasermax uses LMS-392 which are not as common and more expensive. CTC also offers a 'batteries for life' program in which CTC will send you a new set of batteries once a year by calling them.

Lasermax runs approximatlely $40 to $50 higher than the CTC grips.

One potential drawback of the CTC grip is there is no master on/off switch for the glock models - so if you want to train with the laser 'off' you'll need to get a small piece of tape and cover the diode. You can also remove the grips if this is an issue for you...takes literally 30 seconds to pop the pin, slide the grip off, and replace your factory pin. I prefer the tape method.

Lasers are excellent tools, especially in low light and SD situations. Remember to keep training with your iron sights though...nothing works better than good fundamentals!

Father Knows Best
January 26, 2006, 11:46 AM
I have a Glock 26 with the Lasermax sight on it. I bought it used with the Lasermax already on it. Cacique covered the advantages/disadvantages pretty well. I don't mind the need to depress the switch to turn it on, but I dislike the inability to toggle it on and off quickly and easily -- there's no "momentary on" ability. Once your turn it on, it is pretty much on, as turning it off is awkward. In a low light situation, it is a pulsating beacon that also makes me nervous as it provides a clear target to an attacker.

I think that a good set of tritium night sights, and plenty of good practice at practical shooting, are worth a whole lot more for most people. The people who would probably benefit from it most are people who are unwilling to train/practice much. In that case, the ability to just put the dot on the bad guy and press the trigger, without having to worry about sight alignment, can be a big plus.

I haven't used CT grips, but if I was buying a laser sight for a new gun, I'd probably lean toward them over Lasermax because of the instant on/off function.

geekWithA.45
January 26, 2006, 11:52 AM
My friend's got a glock with the lasermax in it. It has a tendency to turn itself on and off during the firing cycle. (Yes. ON and OFF. I'm not talking about the blinking)

IMO, CT grips are a better design, providing superior features.

Optical Serenity
January 26, 2006, 12:03 PM
I fully believe the Lasermax is the best laser solution out there for handguns. It allows you to use any holster you like, and is very durable.

Also, I find its more of an intimidation device than really a tool to help with shooting. Perhaps it would help with point shooting, but I don't ever want to rely on anything but my own skills for shooting technique.

Father Knows Best
January 26, 2006, 12:05 PM
Also, I find its more of an intimidation device than really a tool to help with shooting.

That kind of thinking makes me nervous. Frankly, if a BG isn't intimidated by the .45 caliber hole staring at him, I don't think that a little red dot is going to make a difference.

Logistics
January 26, 2006, 12:08 PM
Playing on an everyday basis with nearly all types of lasers / lights and laser light combos available for anyones handgun.....I'd have to say go with night sights and a flashlight. If you just must have a laser I would go with the Crimson trace lasergrips because they do not add parts to the internal parts count of the gun. Lasermax does break at a somewhat frequent pace if you plan shooting ALOT with it. It's NOT for target practice, it's for defense and the more parts you have in a defense gun the more prone to breakage you will have over time. Also you are NOT able to adjust a Lasermax for windage/elevation except in their 1911 model. If you are going to just scare someone or use it for up close and personal, out to say 20 feet tops then you are fine. But there is NO way the bullet is going where that laser is, it just won't happen. It ain't the movies! Get a flashlight and go shooting more often!

Good luck!

Father Knows Best
January 26, 2006, 12:12 PM
Also you are NOT able to adjust a Lasermax for windage/elevation except in their 1911 model. If you are going to just scare someone or use it for up close and personal, out to say 20 feet tops then you are fine. But there is NO way the bullet is going where that laser is, it just won't happen. It ain't the movies! Get a flashlight and go shooting more often!

As you point out, the Lasermax in my Glock 26 is not adjustable. At 5 yards, though, POI with 9 mm Hydra-Shok JHP is about two inches above and right of the flashing red dot. That's close enough for defensive work.

As I said earlier, though, I agree with your general recommendation. The night sights and a flashlight are worth a whole lot more. I don't plan on adding a Lasermax to any other gun.

Offwhite
January 26, 2006, 01:51 PM
I already have night sights on my Glock 30 (thats my CCW) but I was thinking about doing something on my Glock 23. Thats more of my "fun gun."
And I do go to the range about twice a week, more if time permits, to practice. So its not an issue of me being lazy or a bad shot. Like I was saying I just thought that it was interesting.

So the CT seems to be winning in the overall vote of things, but how does it holster? And is it pretty tough? Just curious...

f4t9r
January 27, 2006, 04:36 PM
have them on SIG P220 they work real well, easy to turn on/off
if alot of rounds shot might have to wipe off lense ,no big deal and you can not even tell they are there. they are cool :D

LASERMAX GUY
April 21, 2006, 12:42 PM
Glad to see everyone in such a spirited debate. Heres my take... we test every new product design to at least 10,000 rds before it has been put on the market. If it doesnt work or breaks we start over again, some models have over 20,000 for military testing. As far as the activation goes when you use universal cover mode for ( LEOS) or indexing mode as the military calls it, you finger does not go onto the trigger guard until you are ready to fire, your finger should be outside the trigger guard along the frame of the weapon just where our activation button is, so yes you can toggle it on and off as necessary. We drop test our Lasers inside the weapons they are intended for from 6 feet to a concrete floor from 6 different angles we have broken more weapons and weapons parts with this process but our lasers stand up. Why we dont need adjustments is we are so closely alligned with the bore. Our point of aim point of impact stays the same no matter what period. you never have to worry about being out of alignment. or how many times you have banged it around since your last range firing ect, You always get first shot confidence from a Lasermax. Our models are tested to 66 feet under water. there as tough as your weapons system.

Coronach
April 21, 2006, 01:38 PM
That kind of thinking makes me nervous. Frankly, if a BG isn't intimidated by the .45 caliber hole staring at him, I don't think that a little red dot is going to make a difference.Yes, but it is true. I have seen (not heard of, actually witnessed) two situations where a BG was being covered by a gun-armed LEO (carrying, actually, a .45). BG was thoroughly unimpressed. Another LEO drew a Taser (the BG had a knife and was not advancing, but not putting it down) and put the dot on his chest. BG looked down, saw the red dot, and instantly dropped the knife. When asked about why he dropped the knife when the Taser was pointed at him, both guys gave some variation on "What's a Taser? I just didn't want to get shot!" :scrutiny:

I agree that relying on such a reaction is like racking a shotgun to scare a burglar. I also agree that it is somewhat counter-intuitive. However, if it happens to work, it's a bonus.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Laser Max sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!