FNP-9 <-- any good?

PDA

gotime242
January 26, 2006, 03:19 PM
I just got back from the range/gun store. I shot a rented G17, but then browsed around looking for canidates for my 1st pistol purchase ever.

They actually had the new taurus PT909b that i thought i wanted..but in person it didnt appeal to me so much. I then saw a beeaauuuttiful gun, that turned out to be a FNP-9 w/SS slide. The price looked good...the gun looked good, but are they good weapons? I did some searching on this forum, and i didnt get all that much feedback.

So...are FN's good? Is this a reliable gun? Does FN have good build quality...and customer service?

Thanks a lot!

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/7876/fn1bf.png

^and yeah i know that says browning, but its the same gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "FNP-9 <-- any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Azrael256
January 26, 2006, 04:12 PM
I don't know about that pistol, but FN is good stuff. They make lots of Browning stuff... actually, I think they make all of it. Our M16s are FN. They're good.

middy
January 26, 2006, 04:59 PM
It's a sleeper. From everything I've read about it, it's a great pistol, just hasn't caught on commercially yet.

sigma 40ve
January 26, 2006, 08:52 PM
I have been looking at them for awhile now. The first show I seen them at there were about 4 available. Now that I want one I can't find one at a show. The stores around here have the Browning, but I prefer to save about $100 and get the FN. I don't care that it isn't a stainless slide, other than that it is the same as far as I know.

modifiedbrowning
January 26, 2006, 09:45 PM
I haven't heard anything bad about the Pro-9, it just never seemed to catch on. I considered buying one myself at onetime.

gotime242, I just recently discovered the Taurus 909, I've never been too excited about Taurii but the 909 looks like one that I could actually consider buying. What didn't you like about it?

gotime242
January 26, 2006, 10:49 PM
Honestly, modifiedbrowning, my dislikes were pretty cosmetic. In the pictures it looked good, but in person the proportions just seemed off to me. No one i have talked to has any experiance with it...which also kind of sets me off since i wouldnt have much support with it. I didnt get a chance to mess with it either. So maybe if you handel/see one you would think differently?

To all- Thanks a lot for the help! Keep it commin! Ill be keeping my eye on it...but so far it looks like its in top position for next purchase.

Shipwreck
January 26, 2006, 11:35 PM
Go here: http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=480551&highlight=fnp

Long discussion on the gun

1911user
January 27, 2006, 01:05 AM
I've fired about 300 FMJ rounds through mine with no failures. The single action pull is light and the double action pull is about average but smooth for a DA auto. The sights have white dots and are large enough to see quickly but shouldn't snag easily. The frame (not the slide) is a little wider than you might expect but not bad. The 3 sixteen round mags that came with it work well and seem durable.

The pistol can be completely setup for left or righ hand operation. The decocker is on both sides already and the mag release can be reversed. The changable backstraps (2) are easy to swap.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the pistol except the grip seems a little wide for my short fingers, but most double-stack pistols don't fit me well. I prefer a narrower grip (hence the primary use of a 1911 45auto), but I also bought a new-generation sigma in 9mm and it fits my hand better while still holding 16 in a mag. I'll probably keep the sigma and sell the FNP-9 even though the FN has a better trigger pull and better sights.

Shipwreck
January 27, 2006, 10:18 AM
Keep a Sigma. Good god man, what are you smoking? :p

Seriously - Go check out a SW99 or Walther P99 (the DA/SA versions, not the new DAO version). The ergonomics are awesome.

1911user
January 28, 2006, 02:50 PM
Keep a Sigma. Good god man, what are you smoking? :p

It's not that bad and it forces me to use good trigger technique.:D I kind of hate to sell the P9 but it just doesn't fit me well and the sigma does. Anybody need a well cared for FNP9 with 3 full-cap mags?

If you enjoyed reading about "FNP-9 <-- any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!