s & w mod 59 history

PDA

davieboy
January 26, 2006, 07:45 PM
A few weeks ago I picked up a smith wesson mod 59 at a show, I finally got to shoot it yesterday (awesome). My friend who has many years of gun knowledge under his belt pointed out the lanyard ring on the butt of the pistol and said that it may have been used by law enforcement or the military. does anyone know if this could be true?

If you enjoyed reading about "s & w mod 59 history" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M.Kalashnikov
January 26, 2006, 10:56 PM
You need to go to http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/ for more in depth info. I do have a cop trade in 5904 and love it and at 295.00 and at 15 shot's you can't go wrong buying American!!!

isp2605
January 26, 2006, 10:57 PM
They all came with the lanyard ring as part of the butt frame.
The 59 was not a US military sidearm.

mete
January 26, 2006, 11:05 PM
I remember the first time I saw the M59 . Someone from S&W was carrying it at a gun show --6 months BEFORE it was on the market !!!

albanian
January 26, 2006, 11:16 PM
I had an old nickel S&W 59. Can't say that I liked it but it was reliable and I was able to hit with it at speed. Reminded me of my Ruger P-95 in some ways.

It was the first of the "wondernines" and deserves a place of mention when talking about the key handguns in history. There were DA pistols and there were hi-cap pistols but the 59 was the first of the successful wondernines. It is kind of funny that we really have'y advanced all that much since the S&W 59. Look at a SIG or a Beretta, they are not much more than a S&W 59 when you get right down to it. A Glock is a new animal but I am not sure it is really a better gun than a Beretta or a SIG so I will withhold judgement.

isp2605
January 26, 2006, 11:27 PM
The first time I saw a 59 was right after S&W announced they were out altho dealers said they couldn't get them. They were bringing scalper's prices. Not unusual for them to be double list.
It was in the early 70s. I was working for a federal alphabet agency then. The head of that agency was an old timer who had the belief that only the bad guys carried autos and his agents were to only carry revolvers. An agent came to the office carrying 2 Mod 59s in a double shoulder holster. He was on the fugitive apprehension squad from a large east coast office. He was looking for a Top 10 by the name of Bell. Charles Bell if I remember his first name correctly. Bell was an enforcer with a certain black power group that was popular back then. I forget how many murders he was wanted for. Anyway, the agent was carrying the pair of 59s even tho they weren't approved for carry. Several months later the agents tracked Bell to NYC where they got into a gun fight. Bell was armed with a pair of Browning HP. I heard that the agent put down cover fire with his 59s while others were able to close and take care of Bell.
The 59s still weren't authorized and a few months later, still early 70s. Another agent in a quiet mid-west town usually carried a 2.5" Mod 19 on duty but never carried off duty. He was a pretty decent shot but never thought he needed to carry off duty since nothing ever happened in the town he was stationed. Murders were extremely rare and robberies almost as rare. One Saturday morning he had his 2 young daughters with him as they went to a local drug store. When he walked up to the door a guy came out and held to door for him and his daughters. He went inside he found 4 people who had just been beatened with a hammer. At least 1 died, forget what happened to the others. The guy who had held the door opened for him was the guy who had beat the people with the hammers. Had the agent and his daughters gotten to the drug store just a few minutes earlier there might have been 7 people beaten. The agent bought a 59 soon after. I remember he paid $400 for it new which was scapler price back then. He carried his approved Mod 19 and also his 59 after that.

If you enjoyed reading about "s & w mod 59 history" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!