Question about 9 mm rounds

PDA

NIMBY
January 26, 2006, 11:45 PM
I've gotten in an argument with someone and need more ammo ('cuse the pun, plz) for the argument.

I say the 9x19 is a different round than the 9x21. I reload and have stuck with 9x19 cases; he says the 9x21 is the same thing and are interchangable.

Whadda y'all think? Appreciate your comments.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about 9 mm rounds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mattw
January 26, 2006, 11:52 PM
I've gotten in an argument with someone and need more ammo ('cuse the pun, plz) for the argument.

I say the 9x19 is a different round than the 9x21. I reload and have stuck with 9x19 cases; he says the 9x21 is the same thing and are interchangable.

Whadda y'all think? Appreciate your comments.

the case might be the same but the bullet itself is verydifferent. the 9x21 is 2mm taller than the 9x19 mm

atblis
January 27, 2006, 12:08 AM
I believe it is 2mm longer than 9x19. Yeah, that's about right. I believe that thing about rimless pistol cartridges headspacing off of the mouth might be kinda important. I don't think the brass is interchangeablle.

Perhaps something to do with some countries having laws regarding owning firearms chambered for the same round as military weapons (In europe I believe).

jonnyc
January 27, 2006, 01:05 AM
Atblis is right, they originated in Italy. The case is 2mm longer, thus not a military caliber. The overall length of the round still matches the standard 9x19. Minimal chamber reaming is needed to convert an "illegal" weapon into a "legal" one.

benEzra
January 27, 2006, 01:16 AM
Definitely not the same. 9x21 brass will not chamber in a 9x19 gun. They will feed from the same magazines, though.

runninmike
January 28, 2006, 12:18 AM
I would tell him to not try 9x21 in a 9x19 as it will feed but should not go into battery and fire, but if fed in a low quality gun or one that has had it's disconnector and or sear messed with, it may make an awful loud bang and he'll end up looking like Elmer Fudd or Daffy Duck after sticking their finger in the shotgun muzzle! Poof!
Seriously though, they are different in case length by 2mm.
Best-MC

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about 9 mm rounds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!