PDA

WKemper
January 27, 2006, 01:40 AM
My uncle has got me wanting a 1911 45. But I don't know a lot about them like which one are better than others. And I am only looking to spend $500.00 at the most for on. Would like to know what I should look for.

Thankz, Willis

If you enjoyed reading about "1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Majik
January 27, 2006, 01:42 AM
Springfield GI or Milspec.

www.1911forum.com

all your 1911 needs. Good luck, you chose a great platform. Be aware, this wont be your last 1911 so start saving early. :)

ETA: btw, welcome THR.

boldkharma
January 27, 2006, 01:42 AM
Look for a used Springfield Mil spec. But a lot of ammo, and shoot the hell out of it!!!!!!

MatthewVanitas
January 27, 2006, 01:55 AM
The Springfield GI is a pretty close copy of the standard 1911 carried in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.

The Mil-Spec has a few more extra frills at a higher price.

Me personally, I like the old-school features, and like to save a buck or two, so I vote Springfield GI. Don't know how prices are around Kentucky, but if you call around or hit a large gunshow, you should be able to come in easily under your budget.

Wal-Mart sells 100-round packs of .45ACP for about $19. That's about as cheap as you'll get for new brass-cased ammo.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/a1/PW9108L.jpg

el44vaquero
January 27, 2006, 01:56 AM
+1 for the GI

progunner1957
January 27, 2006, 02:08 AM
+1 for anything that has "Springfield Armory" rollstamped on the slide.:D

Ala Dan
January 27, 2006, 06:29 AM
+2 for Springfield and their most excellent G.I. replica~!:cool: :D

Kramer Krazy
January 27, 2006, 11:45 AM
I would go for a Springfield, probably, myself, but having four Colts, I'm glad to have my RIA as my throw-around, shoot-the-hell-outta 1911. I have no sentimental value to it and don't care a whole lot about what happens to it (it is my test mule for reload recipes before going in a Colt). I'm amazed as how well it shoots and how reliable it has been (about 500-600 rounds). If you wanted to go the RIA route, you can get them for about $300, and with the leftover $200, you can buy 1000 rounds of WWB from Wally World.

wally
January 27, 2006, 11:18 PM
+1 to RIA. I've 5100+ rounds on mine. Link broke at about 3500 rounds. After careful inspection and finding no other dammage, I put in a $5 replacement Wilson link and have 1600+ problem free rounds after the repair. I've been taking down and cleaning to inspect for abnormal wear or cracks after every outing. After a few thousand more rounds I'll conclude I just got a link with messed up heat treating that failed.

--wally.

IndianaDean
January 28, 2006, 12:33 AM
I vote for the GI.

Snowdog
January 28, 2006, 03:43 AM
Though I already have a so-called "high-end" 1911 (Kimber), I find the Rock Island Armory 1911A1 (aka Twin Pines) to be a heck of a deal right now. With the money you'll save purchasing this model, you can slap on some nice cocobolo grips and invest towards a single stage press, dies and reloading componants which is something I've recently done.

WKemper
February 7, 2006, 12:53 AM
Thankz for all the info it was a big help.:)

MatthewVanitas
February 7, 2006, 01:14 AM
Ah, so what did you decide on? Be sure to come back and let us know when you buy your first 1911!

-MV

1911 guy
February 7, 2006, 05:35 AM
If you want to stay under 500, look for good deals on Springfields or get something by Armscor. Armscor makes the RIA and Charles Daly pistols. I own a Springer, a Para Ordnance (just got it and working the bugs out) and two CD's, one of which is my dedicated carry gun. Has never hiccupped once in many thousand rounds.

WKemper
February 25, 2006, 11:55 PM
I attended National Gun Day in Louisville, Ky and bought a springfield 1911 champion. For $500.00 which was right at my limit. I want to thank everyone who replyed to my posts you all were a big help.
Thankz Willis

Dusty Rusty
February 26, 2006, 01:58 AM
I have a Rock Island that I got for $300.00 and I love it. I use it in competition and it's very accurate. In fact, I was at the range today and they were having a CCW class. Several of the people watched me shoot it first with both hands, then strong hand and weak hand. Had several wanting to but it but I will not part with it. NIce gun at a good price.

U.S.SFC_RET
February 27, 2006, 11:37 AM
+1 for Springfield Armory, downside to the GI version is that they only eat ball ammo. Springfield Armory is high quality for the money period. RIA (Armscor) makes a couple of models to choose from but you run the risk of finding bugs and problems with them. Blackdragon on M1911.org will back up anything that goes wrong with them, he works for the company. RIA has a lifetime guarantee on it's pistols and you can't go wrong there. Their quality of workmanship gets mediocre scores but you get what you pay for. I have an RIA that I worked out the bugs on and it shoots like the dickens and eats anything that I will feed it. Dead on accurate. I suspect that the Slide and other parts aren't as hardened as I want them to be.

Lennyjoe
February 27, 2006, 12:35 PM
Congrats on the Champion. Welcome to the 1911 family.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!