Gun historian needed !

PDA

Bonker
April 10, 2003, 11:07 PM
I am trying to figure out 3 guns to add to my collection.

I need the caliber, make/model, and color (finish):

What type of gun did Jack Ruby use to kill Oswald?

What gun killed President James Garfield?

What gun killed President William McKinley?

I'd REALLY appreciate any links to the info if anyone knows!

Thanks! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun historian needed !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bostonterrier97
April 10, 2003, 11:46 PM
Oswald ALLEGEDLY killed JFK with a Mannlicher Carcano Model 91/38 Carbine (serial Number C2766), chambered in 6.5x54mm. He used 160 grain RNMJ bullets. His rifle had a fixed 4X scope attached to it.

President McKinley was killed with a Iver Johnson revolver chambered in .32

President Garfield was shot and killed By a British Bulldog Revolver (Model 1878) Made by Webley and Scott chambered in .44 caliber

DeltaElite
April 11, 2003, 12:01 AM
I heard Ruby used a Colt Agent in 38 on Oswald.

Lone Star
April 11, 2003, 07:12 AM
I'm pretty sure that Jack Ruby had a Cobra, not the shorter-butted Agent. And I think it had a hammer shroud, one of those screw-on units that Colt used to sell.

How do I know it wasn't a Detective Special? Saw an article or two on it a few years ago.

Lone Star

simon
April 11, 2003, 11:44 AM
Ruby's revolver,whichever it was, DID have a hammer shroud.I remember that much.It was supposed to make it easier to pocket carry and quick draw with out the hammer catching on something(clothing)keeping him from getting the shot off.

Brian Williams
April 11, 2003, 12:12 PM
I was wondering if you also have a percussion derringer like G.W. Booth killed Lincoln with???

Bonker
April 11, 2003, 04:49 PM
JW Booth used a 44 cal philidelphia derringer to get lincoln. I don't have one but I'd love to find an inexpensive reproduction someday.

ANd thanks for the replies guys! VERY helpful!

Lone Star
April 11, 2003, 05:48 PM
I did an MSN search under the heading, "Jack Ruby's Gun". It produced a number of links. Several that I checked all said that the gun was a .38 caliber Colt COBRA. It was selected for Ruby by a Dallas cop, whose assistance Ruby had asked. It sold at that time for $62.50.

If you 'll look at the famous photo of Ruby actually shooting Oswald, the butt of the gun is too long in his hand to be an Agent.

I believe that Dixie Gun Works sells or has sold a repro Booth Deringer. By the way, Henry Deringer spelled his name with one"r". Generic "derringers" usually are referred to with two "r's". Of course, if the gun is a true Deringer product, the "D" needs to be capitalized, too.

Lone Star

Standing Wolf
April 11, 2003, 05:49 PM
What gun killed President James Garfield?
What gun killed President William McKinley?

Not to quibble, but guns don't kill people: people kill people.

Gabby Hayes
April 11, 2003, 05:49 PM
Ruby used a hammer-shrouded .38 Special Colt Cobra originally purchased for $62.50.

Lone Star
April 11, 2003, 05:54 PM
Check the time on the last three posts here. Wow: a minute apart. Same time on the last two!

Lone Star

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun historian needed !" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!