Assault Type Weapons (A&E Dallas SWAT)

PDA

-C4-
January 27, 2006, 04:00 PM
I was watching SWAT and heard the ever famous "Assault Type Weapons". I was wondering if anyone could explain what exactly a "AK-47 Assault Type Weapon" (direct quote from the show) as compared to the non-assault type? YAY for Anti-Gun TV.

-C4-

If you enjoyed reading about "Assault Type Weapons (A&E Dallas SWAT)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
January 27, 2006, 04:03 PM
No offense to the LEO's here, but most cops don't know a whole lot about guns, and even less about the politics surrounding them.

Their exposure is from the media and the slang used by people they take guns away from, the same people that shoot at them by the way.

Red Dragon
January 27, 2006, 04:35 PM
Could look at it this way. By him referring to it as an "assault type" weapon instead of an assault weapon, it puts him at least one step ahead of many. He may have been using that terminology to referance that the weapon is a semi-auto version of the AK. It's kind of like when someone refers to a person who wears really thick glasses as "blind-ish" instead of "blind":D

benEzra
January 27, 2006, 11:47 PM
I was watching SWAT and heard the ever famous "Assault Type Weapons". I was wondering if anyone could explain what exactly a "AK-47 Assault Type Weapon" (direct quote from the show) as compared to the non-assault type? YAY for Anti-Gun TV.
An "assault type weapon" is any long gun that doesn't have a straight wooden stock straight out of the late 1800's, OR a gun that DOES look traditional but has an 11-round magazine. :banghead:

Hkmp5sd
January 28, 2006, 01:11 AM
Last week they were talking about a "SKS assault type weapon" that could "penetrate any body armor we have." They also whined about an infamous and super deadly, accurate, holds-a-million-bullets, cop killing, never misses, armor piercing "Tec-9" they managed to get off the streets.

Optical Serenity
January 28, 2006, 04:08 AM
No offense to the LEO's here, but most cops don't know a whole lot about guns, and even less about the politics surrounding them.

Their exposure is from the media and the slang used by people they take guns away from, the same people that shoot at them by the way.

No offense taken, but as a whole the most high speed individuals I come across gun wise are all cops or ex-cops. Maybe its just Georgia, but almost every cop I know around here, obviously myself included, are huge gun guys...

marshall3
January 28, 2006, 06:53 AM
If I assault you with something, it is an assault weapon. If I hit you with a hammer, it is an assault hammer. If I stab you with a knife, it is an assault knife. If I hit you with my shoe, it is an assault shoe. Every rifle used to shoot a person is an assault rifle. Every handgun used to shoot a person is an assault handgun. What the anti-gun folks really want to do is take ANYTHING dangerous out of everyone's hands. Your mom used to tell you "don't run with scissors!" Same thing. They want to be your mom, and take all sharp objects (bullets at high speed are just sharp objects) out of your hands. The real anti-gunners even want to take guns away from the police, because they might hurt some poor criminal! ALL assaults are forbidden, even self-defense assault on a bad guy. When kids fight, remember Mommy punishes the fellow defending himself right along with the aggressor. Mommy and the mommy State wants a bunch of pacifists. So what is an assault weapon? Just about anything.

Creeping Incrementalism
January 28, 2006, 07:09 AM
No offense taken, but as a whole the most high speed individuals I come across gun wise are all cops or ex-cops. Maybe its just Georgia, but almost every cop I know around here, obviously myself included, are huge gun guys...
In your case, probably it is just Georgia. I once landed a small airplane at the Waycross airport in the fall of '97, and heard gunshots in the distance as I went looking for the fuel truck driver. When I got back home that night in Florida, I mention it to my neighbor, who grew up in a rural part of northern Georgia. He said, "That might be strange in California, but at least here, we aren't shooting at people."

Anyway, this is what I've come to conclude. There's a certain percentage of cops who are the coolest guys around and know a lot about guns. Then there's the other 85% who're no different from every other arrogant schmuck. The coolest cop I know retired a bit early after his department initiated ticket quotas.

jerkface11
January 28, 2006, 09:51 AM
Last week they were talking about a "SKS assault type weapon" that could "penetrate any body armor we have." They also whined about an infamous and super deadly, accurate, holds-a-million-bullets, cop killing, never misses, armor piercing "Tec-9" they managed to get off the streets.

Imagine how much safer the world would be if they just gave every criminal a tec9. They'd be too busy clearing stove pipes to shoot anyone.

akodo
January 28, 2006, 01:43 PM

Yes, but you are not the guys that appear on TV!

Hkmp5sd
January 28, 2006, 03:31 PM
Maybe its just Georgia, but almost every cop I know around here, obviously myself included, are huge gun guys...

Not where I live. Other than their service weapons, most cops around here gained their firearms knowledge watching the A-Team.

Skunkabilly
January 30, 2006, 03:43 PM
"Assault type weapons" = "patrol rifles".

Azrael256
January 30, 2006, 03:49 PM
I watched a bit of Texas SWAT last night. The officers were doing an entry on an apartment reported to contain a couple gangbanger types with an SKS. The narrator kept calling it an "assault weapon" or a "dangerous assault weapon," while the officer on camera kept calling it an SKS. I found that interesting.

Thain
January 30, 2006, 04:00 PM
Actually, calling a civilianized AK-47 an assault-type weapon isn't that inaccurate. The AK-47 is an assault rifle, the semi-auto model is an assault rilfe like weapon.

But, then agian, my buddy's Jeep Wrangler is a "military style land vehicle" and my GE microwave is "potentially harmful nuclear device" :rolleyes:

Sad truth is, the writers and the on-screen cops got their firearms education from TJ Hooker reruns.

MD_Willington
January 30, 2006, 04:04 PM
civies get "pattern" rifles, military or tax stamp payers get the real deal...but the FD & H are not supposed to know this... :D

adaman04
January 30, 2006, 04:17 PM
There are a lot of pro-gun cops, but then again, there are those that think the only people that need guns at all are them because they wear a badge. Guess who gets on TV?

mordechaianiliewicz
January 30, 2006, 09:04 PM
There are a lot of pro-gun cops, but then again, there are those that think the only people that need guns at all are them because they wear a badge. Guess who gets on TV?

I know many pro-gun cops. In fact most street cops in any area other than the major Northeast and West coast urban areas are quite progun as a general rule. It's not tough to find. Now your telling me in Texas they couldn't find a progun cop? No, it's about an agenda. I agree very much w/ that statement.

g56
January 31, 2006, 01:13 AM
Most street cops aren't anti gun, but as I watch Dallas Swat I am astounded at the almost complete lack of knowledge among the Swat members they talk to, one idiot showed a sawed off shotgun to the camera, said that thing will go right through a bullet proof vest!!!!!! Now I won't say that's the most stupid thing I've heard, but it definitely was the most stupid thing I have heard on that show, those guys are clueless!
:cuss:

Optical Serenity
January 31, 2006, 01:41 AM
I've watched most of those shows too (Dallas SWAT and Texas SWAT) and I tell you what. The producers will never do "ATLANTA SWAT" or "GEORGIA SWAT" because we'd be saying stuff like "Everyone should carry an UZI!"

And I guess we'd know too much. Most every cop around here has had several dozen guns long before getting a badge. In fact, I can't think of any departments around here that really hire anyone that already doesn't have a large amount of gun experience.

Zen21Tao
January 31, 2006, 02:44 AM
An “assault type weapon” is any weapon that is born of the fires of hell and delivered to conservatives for the sole purpose of killing babies. It can be identified by its black finish that is especially designed to absorb the blood of its victims, which of course it lives on. You have to be very careful around these weapons as they posses an evil will of their own which imbues them with enough life force to jump up and kill all those around them. One also has to be mindful of the powerful hypnotic powers they posses and use to take control of all those that hold them in order to force them do their bidding, which again, is to kill poor little babies.

On the other hand the “non-assault type weapons” can be identified by their fuzzy soft pink finish. Also, rather than actually shooting bullets they shoot magical rays of sunshine that fills their target with peace, love and a welfare check. These guns are great because they are bought and paid for by tax dollars and are entitled to anyone that feels the need to dictate others behavior to make the world a better place.

DBR
January 31, 2006, 03:11 AM
An "assault weapon" is historically defined as a light weight long gun that is capable of full auto fire. The modern concept evolved from the Germans in WII with the idea of close range suppressive fire from a weapon carried by an individual solder who could also use the weapon as a semiauto in close quarters combat. Accuracy was secondary to utility.

I do not have the historical facts to site the model numbers of the German weapons, but Kalashnikof (sp) got his concepts for the AK47 from WII German weapons.

No "assault weapon or machine gun" has been legal for civilian possesion (except CIII) since the "National Firearms act" which I think was enacted in 1934.

AK47, AR15,FAL, HK91,HK93 etc are all available in semi-auto civilian models which are used for many sporting purposes but they have their military counterparts which only adds to the confusion.

I was going to say more but why add documentation to the ignorant and uninformed?

Taurus 66
January 31, 2006, 03:21 AM
I never refer to any gun as an "assault weapon". Any firearm, archery equipment, bludgeoning instrument, or edged blade could be part of an assault pending the holder's motives. If PC were really PC, it is the "assaulter", not the instrument used you should label "assault". A single shot break action rifle (or shotgun) can assault someone too! And besides ... the label "assault weapon" is so '80ish like Miami Vice. We should have outgrown this 16 years ago. A civilian AR or AK rifle (examples) with semi automatic rate of fire is a "semi auto", not "assault".

There are politicians wanting us to continue the legacy of this black labeling. It helps their cause and hurts ours. There are cheap, subtle, mind control tactics in place here. If you control the language, you control the people.

Matthew748
January 31, 2006, 07:47 AM
I have heard about that show, but have avoided watching it. I do not need another thing to raise my blood pressure.

As far as an "assault weapon" goes, is that something semi-sentient like the Terminator? None of my guns do anything until I load and fire them. Maybe they are defective.

-C4-
January 31, 2006, 10:19 AM
Most street cops aren't anti gun, but as I watch Dallas Swat I am astounded at the almost complete lack of knowledge among the Swat members they talk to, one idiot showed a sawed off shotgun to the camera, said that thing will go right through a bullet proof vest!!!!!! Now I won't say that's the most stupid thing I've heard, but it definitely was the most stupid thing I have heard on that show, those guys are clueless!
:cuss:

Where can I buy one of those shotguns? :what:

TexasRifleman
January 31, 2006, 10:23 AM
Now your telling me in Texas they couldn't find a progun cop? No, it's about an agenda. I agree very much w/ that statement.

Actually in Dallas there are not as many as you would think.
The city officials are more anti than you would expect. Houston too.
Dallas really doesn't count as part of Texas however.....

Black Dragon
January 31, 2006, 11:15 AM
If I add an baynet lug, a pistol grip and a 50 round mag to a .22, I know have
an "Assault Type Weapon".
An "Assualt Type Weapon" are just words the media uses to get a reaction
from non-informed people to get them to watch a show.

tommygunm1a1
January 31, 2006, 11:59 AM
I have read a couple of statements here that I thought I could clear up, so here goes.
I hear people use the term assualt rifle, or assualt pistol, or even worse, "semi automatic assualt pistol with 25 round banana clip"
It is absolutely true that most cops know dick about firearms. I suppose that is ok, as long as the human waste they deal with daily know even less. A swat cop that can work his mp-5 is like my wife knowing how to drive her car, she knows nothing of how the transmission works, or the engine etc.
For a rifle to be an assualt rifle it must meet certain criteria. Most of you all know this, but indulge me.
First off, it's shoulder fired, air cooled and an individual weapon, meaning not crew served. It is light weight, something under 10 pounds, and fired from a large capacity, detachable magazine, NOT a friggin clip! Just what large capacity means has always been subject to debate, but generally agreed to 20 or more rounds.
It must fire an intermediate cartridge, not a pistol cartridge, then it would be a subgun, and not a fullsize cartridge like .308 or 30-06, that would make it a battle rifle. and finally it must be select fire. So, any rifle that does not meet ALL of these items is NOT an assualt rifle.
A semi only AKM is not an assualt rifle, it can't be.
A semi only FAL is not an assualt rifle.
A select fire FAL is not an assualt rifle.
And now on to my pet peeve.........
There has never been any such thing as a Romanian ak-47 ! You cant get one on gunsamerica, even though they advertise some forsale.
Egypt, also has never made an AK-47.
The Soviets stopped making AK-47's by 1962 :confused:
This subject will be tommorow's lesson...... :rolleyes:
Finally, I read earlier in this thread that it has been illegal for civillians to own machineguns since the NFA 34 except c3. Not true. C3 is a type of FFL, you don't need an FFL to own a NFA weapon. You only need to live in a location that it is legal, and you must pay the tax (stamp). There is no license, etc. If you can legally own a firearm, and you live in a state that allows them, you can own a machinegun.

Jimmy in Houston

buzz_knox
January 31, 2006, 12:06 PM

It depends on the individual more than the area. Some of the cops I've met and/or trained with in Tennessee and Virginia knew nothing about weapons, even the ones they carried. And some were sufficiently uninformed about guns that they were selling high cap mags during the Ban. By contrast, some cops in non-gun friendly areas are switched on either due to interest or professionalism.

tommygunm1a1
January 31, 2006, 12:29 PM
Just to clarify, most states allow private ownership of NFA weapons. Most, but not all, I bet you can guess some that don't........
Jimmy

If you enjoyed reading about "Assault Type Weapons (A&E Dallas SWAT)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!