para p 10 45

PDA

dam8
January 28, 2006, 12:02 AM
I've always liked the looks of this little 45. I am in the market for my first 1911. I like the size, but am concerned that such a small gun will want to jump out of my hand! question: can I put a compensator on the P 10? and is there a 22 conversion for it? and does anyone have some feedback on this guy? good? bad other? Thanks guys
Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "para p 10 45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
January 28, 2006, 12:06 AM
I think its a pretty poor choice for a first 1911. If you can find mags that are reliable enough it could be a good carry gun. Mine's basically a safe queen.

--wally.

orionengnr
January 28, 2006, 12:12 AM
but I have owned several Paras.
The Warthog is an aluminum-framed, (lighter, easier carrying, probably harder shooting) version of the P-10.

Probably not for the new shooter, but I am looking forward to buying one. Depends what you want it for. As a range or home defense high-cap 45, there are larger Paras that will handle better and carry 12+1, 13+1, 14+1.

For a CCW I really like my LDA C-6; "only" 6+1 and about the same height/length as the P-10 but much narrower and lighter.

Myself, I am waiting for an LDA Warthog, preferably in polymer frame...:rolleyes:

MICHAEL T
January 28, 2006, 12:14 PM
Not for a first 1911 Recoil is a little more that regular 1911 least was my feelings. Send mine back wouldn't work they rebuilt and was 95 % after that . Seem to have mag troubles and need wolff springs . Their are much better 1911's for that kind of money. Why not get a Colt Commander 4 1/4barell and is a much better pistol and fits hand better also Carries just as easy and a better gun.

Not if you want cheap Llama has a sub compact model that is a clone of the Para.P-10 I had one and swaped parts just to see. Use wolff mag springs for the Para and polish the feed ramp. I still have mine I don't have the P-10 Can be had for 250 bucks.

mosttoyswins
January 28, 2006, 01:04 PM
I have a P10 .40 that is my primary carry weapon and I love it. Nice wieght, 10+1 of .40 in a small package.

It eats anything I feed it and the recoil is very manageable. No failures of any kind with about 1000 rounds through it.

Based on my experiences with the .40, I would have no problem buying the .45.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c394/jstaudt/IMG_1008.jpg

wally
January 28, 2006, 01:31 PM
Based on my experiences with the .40, I would have no problem buying the .45.

Based on my experiences with Para double stack mags I'd have trouble recommending any gun that uses the .45 Para double stack mag tubes (Kimber BP, Springfield & Armscor widebodies, etc.) for defense since the mags are very prone to having the rounds bind at the single to double stack transition causing a "nose up jam" (aka "ride over feed") where the base of the cartridge fails to get up into position in time and the slide catches the extraction grouve or higher instead of the cartridge base. One of the most time consuming of feed failures to clear.

Keeping the mags clean and using stronger Wolf springs helps, but if your threshold for reliability worries with a carry gun is lower than mine I'd not suggest any Para mag tube based .45 for anything other than a range gun. I've no experience with the STI/STV guns (out of my price range for what I'm willing to spend for a handgun) which I believe use a different mag tube.

The smaller diameter of the .40 S&W rounds may be all that is needed to solve the problem. My Para (and Mec-Gar) P18 9mm mags have been as reliable as anything with the factory springs and don't need any extra cleaing compared to other double stack 9mm magazines.

I love the widebody .45s, they are a major sub-set of my collection. I have Para P14, P13, & P10, Springfield Micro (a P12 clone), Kimber BP in 5", 4" and 3" barrel lengths, and an Armscor 1911-A2 (P14 clone). Great range guns, but I'd not trust my life to any of them strictly because of the mag issues.

--wally.

cpermd
January 28, 2006, 01:36 PM
Try one before you buy.

That tiny grip is too small for many people.

CP

mega1quake
February 22, 2006, 11:03 AM
just bought one...being send as i type this its the 45acp SS..payed 599.00 for it :barf: sweating bullets now that ive read this post :banghead:
sure hope u guys are wrong about this.....just found out also that clarks custom guns doesnt work on them ither...:fire: because of the wide body
they work on all the other para's just no this one.. omg

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/
some of the finest arms i got are tweaked and custom built from theses local folks..:o jsut lucky i guesss (beware they take 3 months to work on but worth every min..)

man i got some bad luck

Hawkmoon
February 23, 2006, 02:24 AM
just bought one...being send as i type this its the 45acp SS..payed 599.00 for it :barf: sweating bullets now that ive read this post :banghead:
sure hope u guys are wrong about this.....just found out also that clarks custom guns doesnt work on them ither...:fire: because of the wide body
they work on all the other para's just no this one.. omg

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/
some of the finest arms i got are tweaked and custom built from theses local folks..:o jsut lucky i guesss (beware they take 3 months to work on but worth every min..)

man i got some bad luck
Try Bob Hunter of Hunter Custom Guns. He is an excellent gunsmith, and he knows Paras inside and out because he builds his own for competition.

If you enjoyed reading about "para p 10 45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!