Just Signed Up!

PDA

Hoshua1
January 27, 2006, 11:23 PM
I just signed up to this remarkable resource. The number of brains and opinions we're talking about here constitutes quite a force. Any way I posted a couple inquiries regarding the purchase of a lightweight, field rifle. Something I can tote and shoot with confidence while in the elements. Does wood hold up? Bolt Action all the way. .243, .270 Magazine. Punch Accuracy, light weight, good trigger. Good scopes? $400 or less. Possible?I'm embracing a new future as an aspiring survivalist so any advise on reliable small game food sources and areas in Wash state that I guy can adventure out and disappear for a couple weeks. Quick field dress tips and general theory appreciated on any topics please. i.e. How long after a kill can the meat be eaten?
THNX

If you enjoyed reading about "Just Signed Up!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ryder
January 28, 2006, 12:23 AM
I've taken a lot more game with 22s and shotguns than centerfire rifles.

In a survival scenario I'd go with my 22mag. Pinpoint accuracy out past 100 yards and it's real easy to carry. Ammo is not only significantly less expensive than centerfire but there are a lot more shots per box.

Welcome :)

Oh and I've hung critters for as long as two weeks. Improves the taste. :D Depends on the weather. Warm temps bring flies. If it's cold enough to keep the flies away I wouldn't worry about spoilage. You'll still need to worry about other critters though.

KriegHund
January 28, 2006, 12:25 AM
Greetings, newbling!

I kid, i kid, welcome. Im still a newb meself.

Smokey Joe
January 28, 2006, 03:02 AM
Glad to have you on board, Hoshua1!

The collective brain of THR is the better for yr presence.

For yr survival gun, you ask Does wood hold up? IMHO, if you're going to be dragging this firearm around in the wet and cold and mud, etc, you'd be better served by a laminated stock than a solid wood stock, if the "wood look" is what you're after. Synthetics, of course, are even less affected by the elements than are laminates. And then there are price issues, and so on, and so on.

For serious surviving, I agree, a .22mag might be yr best bet. But check the local laws out--in some areas there are legality questions re hunting large game with any rimfire or any .22. And game wardens don't accept surviving as an excuse. One time in my area, there was a squad of military personnel practicing being from a downed aircraft, waiting behind enemy lines for pickup. The wardens nailed every one of them for hunting out of season and without a license!

El Tejon
January 28, 2006, 07:54 AM
Welcome to THR!:)

Hoshua1
January 30, 2006, 03:50 PM
I've taken a lot more game with 22s and shotguns than centerfire rifles.

In a survival scenario I'd go with my 22mag. Pinpoint accuracy out past 100 yards and it's real easy to carry. Ammo is not only significantly less expensive than centerfire but there are a lot more shots per box.

Welcome :)

Oh and I've hung critters for as long as two weeks. Improves the taste. :D Depends on the weather. Warm temps bring flies. If it's cold enough to keep the flies away I wouldn't worry about spoilage. You'll still need to worry about other critters though.

:) Thanks for your input. try this scenario on though. First day out and we've got 5 more days, camp is all dug in, fire wood, scouted around, I'll get my rifle out and track down some small game. So first of all, are there species that can be harvested year round that are good eats? How long after a kill is meat edible? Can I hunt and camp like that in Wash. State?

My wife grew up in Cor Delaine and we talk about moving back. If I owned a good patch of land what is a species to look out for that is abundant and can stand to be hunted semi regularly including seasonal permits? Rabbits/Hares, birds, deer? Whats the next caliber or model of bolt action rifle that will out perform a 10/22 in terms of humane kills up to a 30lb animal, light weight, adjustable trigger, small mag at least, .243? .270? ,durable in the elements. Sorry I'm long winded but my wheels are turning and I like to conceptualize things like this before I act on anything.

Also a rec on a defensive rifle as far as living in the woods would be appreciated. Are bears a worry in a lodge style house?

Firethorn
January 30, 2006, 04:50 PM
Rabbits/Hares, birds, deer? Whats the next caliber or model of bolt action rifle that will out perform a 10/22 in terms of humane kills up to a 30lb animal, light weight, adjustable trigger, small mag at least,

I don't know about models, but I'd tend to think .223 would fit your bill. It's available in bolt action rifles, is commonly available, and we call it them 'poodle shooters' for a reason ;)

How long after a kill is meat edible?

Immediatly? Heh, I think you're asking about duration. It depends immensly on the ambient temperature and how fast you get the animal gutted. getting the inside of the rib cage exposed to air for faster cooling helps.

If the temperature is under 40 degrees, it can be good for up to two weeks, for example.

Increase temperature to 50, and I'd be iffy after 2 days.

Increase to 80, and you're talking about hours.

Below freezing: up to a year.

Of course, this depends on a healthy immune system and thorough cooking.

Also a rec on a defensive rifle as far as living in the woods would be appreciated. Are bears a worry in a lodge style house?

Bears can be a worry pretty much anywhere. They're strong enough to break windows and cheap doors. If they've figured out that they can, of course.

p35
January 30, 2006, 10:01 PM
The Department of Fish & Wildlife puts out a book of hunting rules yearly. Generally available free at any sporting goods store, including Wally World. That's where you're going to find the details on what you can & can't hunt at what times of the year. Not much worth eating is open year round IIRC.

BTW it's spelled Coeur d'Alene. Not to be picky, but why sound like a !@#$ Californian?

Hoshua1
January 31, 2006, 01:34 AM
Damn Cali's. I'm from Chicago too. Even worse. I knew when I spelled it I should check it. Sorry for the party foul.:o

Nematocyst
January 31, 2006, 06:35 AM
Ah, another survivalist colleague from the pac nw.

How's SEAtown treating you?

Welcome to THR.

Yeah, .22LR rules, me thinks (even as I search for the deer rifle, probably a .308, i suspect if push came to shove - no, wait, WHEN push comes to shove, i'll probably have the CZ 452 closer by than the .308.

Or will it be the 870?

No doubt, the 9mm will be along.

As for meat, I agree with Firethorn: depends on "healthy immune system and thorough cooking" {and how hungry you are :D }

Nem

Hoshua1
January 31, 2006, 03:57 PM
Fellas, come on, all I'm asking for are the rules of thumb. Do different species require different prep and treatments? Basic rules of thumb acroos the board.
THR is certainly a resource to recon with. I appreciate your input.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just Signed Up!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!