Best all purpose shotgun for a new shotgunner

PDA

zookrider
January 28, 2006, 11:19 AM
I'm thinking about getting into shotgunning and I'd like to start with a gun that will be suitable for HD, sporting clays, and possibly a bit of turkey hunting. Suggestions? BTW, I'm not rich, I'd like to stay under $1000 for the gun, a case, and whatever chokes I might need. Thanks in advance for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best all purpose shotgun for a new shotgunner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
STiTkacik
January 28, 2006, 11:51 AM
Remington 870 12 guage.

/thread

HSMITH
January 28, 2006, 12:33 PM
With $1000 to spend you have a lot of choices.

Head down to the gun shop and look at Beretta 391, Winchester SuperX2/3, Browning Gold, and anything else that my catch your eye.

BozemanMT
January 28, 2006, 03:58 PM
Agreed, with 1000 bucks you have lots of choices. Wander around the shops til you find one that fits you well.
You kinda need to decide do you want a pump, an O/U, a SxS or a semi-auto
and there are good choices in all of those in that price range (ok, maybe used in O/U and SxS) and there are a lot of great guns out there.
What kind of clays?
What kind of hunting?
I KNOW :rolleyes: this forum is more than willing to give lots of opinions, but we need you to be more specific.
Oh yeah, shotguns are really addictive.;)

Preacherman
January 28, 2006, 07:37 PM
Before spending a cent on your own shotgun, I'd strongly advise the following:

1. Read all you can on this and similar forums. Dave McCracken's "101" threads are a great place to start. Click on the word "Search" in the title bar of the forum, and then click on the words "Advanced Search" that appear below it. In the keyword area, enter "101": in the "User Name" area, enter "Dave McCracken": and in the "Search In Forums" area, click on "Shotguns". Do the search, then scroll through the pages that result, looking for (and at) the threads by Dave with the word "101" in the title. This will keep you busy for an hour or two... :D

2. Find a local shotgun range or club. Pay a visit, explain to the members that you're an absolute beginner needing advice, and talk to them. Many will be friendly enough to offer to let you shoot their shotguns, or take you through an initial round of trap or skeet, or just sit and bat the breeze with you. Accept any invitations you get to shoot, and offer to buy a box or two of ammo, so that they feel you're an asset rather than a liability. That way, you'll probably get to shoot pumps, semi-auto's and doubles, and get a good feel for what works best for you.

3. Once you've done all this, then you can start to think about what you'd like to buy for yourself. You'll probably be able to start another thread here, detailing what you've learned and experienced, and asking more specific questions based on those experiences. For example, if you're looking for a shotgun to use for turkey hunting, or home defence, or whatever, you could post here asking for THR members in your area who use a shotgun for that/those purpose(s) to advise you on where and what to shoot, and could probably set up a meeting sometime at a local range where they could bring their shotguns out for you to try. Given that you're in San Angelo, there are sure to be members in cities near you, or within a couple of hours' drive, who will be glad to get together with you.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the wonderful world of shotgunning!

USMC Tanker
January 28, 2006, 07:58 PM
You can NEVER go wrong with the Remington 870...EVER! Whether you're an experienced shooter or a novice, the 870 the always serve you well and suit any purpose that you would want for it. With interchangeable barrels, you could go shoot trap, hunt in the morning with a long barrel and then swap in 18 inch barrel for home defense. Can't go wrong...plus, there's an almost unlimited supply of accessories available for them.

EghtySx
January 28, 2006, 08:01 PM
I started with an 1100. Less kick than an 870. I was 8 at the time and could shoot it all day.

Wags
January 28, 2006, 09:30 PM
Best all around shotgun for every need would be the Remington Mod 870.

9mmMike
January 29, 2006, 12:13 AM
Remington 870 12 guage.

Concur... and then spend the extra dough (and there'll be mucho) on ammo and practice.

f4t9r
January 29, 2006, 12:19 AM
HARD TO BEAT A 870
WITH A 1000 DOLLAR BUDGET i WOULD GO BROWNING OR BENNELLI SEMI AUTO

Gordon
January 29, 2006, 12:57 AM
Cherry pre J lock 870 Wingmaster magnum, Tubed 28" Vent rib barrel($400or so) AND a new (from Cabelas for $200)Remington rifle sight 20" barrel with the 2 chokes it comes with. That is $600-700 for everything . Then you got $300-400 worth of ammo!:)

coyote204
January 29, 2006, 03:51 AM
Remington 870 Express Magnum, extra chokes, a slug barrel, and lots of shells.

Nematocyst
January 29, 2006, 04:54 AM
Zook,

I echo Preacherman's excellent suggestions. See also my user name for my recommendation of a shotgun. :D

And let us know if ... no, when you've got more questions.

Nem

PJR
January 29, 2006, 09:00 AM
I love the 870. It was the first shotgun I owned and I've always had one but it's not what I'd recommend.

The trouble with one gun for everything is the need to compromise. A pump gun is not the best choice for a new clay target shooter. You've got enough to think about without having to remember to pump the gun on doubles.

I'd suggest a Remington 1100 or a Beretta 3901 with a 28" choke-tubed barrel as a good all round shotgun at a reasonable price.

Paul

guard99999
January 29, 2006, 04:18 PM
i am a new shootguner been shooting shotguns for about 1 year and i talked to a lot of people and a lot of sporting clay shoters and beretta always came up so i started looking. the beretta 3901 is what a got and is a grat gun. i shoot skeet trap and 5 stand and sporting clays with it and have taken it hunting it is a grate all around gun for under 1000 here is the web site to look at it the 3901 american

http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_field_guns_main.htm

New_geezer
January 29, 2006, 09:17 PM
$1000 is a pretty good chunk of change just to find out if shotgunning is something you're going to like. For starting out you can't be a good pump and there are several to choose from and you'll spend less than $500. Pumps are just basic and reliable and for that reason are the usual recommendation for HD. For the same reasons they also serve well for hunting. Except maybe a special trap model Wingmaster, you don't see a lot of pumps among serious, hardcore clays shooters but for casual clays shooting they're perfectly fine. Remington 870s, Express (inexpensive) or Wingmaster (fancy and more expensive) are classic pumps. As is the Mossberg 500. Express and 500s are both available in combo packs with both a short HD barrel and a longer 28" barrel with simple wood or synthetic stocks. There are also a bunch of accessories available for each of these. Another, newer pump is the Bennelli Nova which people seem to either really love or really hate but is still a solid gun. There is also the Winchester 1300 but it is not especially popular. There is enough difference in how each feels to make them all worth checking out to find which fits you best.

If you care to consider a used gun, most shotgunners I know consider the Winchester model 12 the finest pump ever made. It was made in several models and grades for about 70 years. I own a simple field gun made in 1947 and it is wonderfully balanced and smooth operating. It was also not terribly expensive. There are many other used guns that are worthy of consideration.

Odds are if you find you like shotgunning you will want another gun, perhaps a semi-auto, Over/under, or side-by-side. It is just about inevitable. However, if on the off chance you find shotgunning is not for you, then the basic pump, which did not cost you a bundle, will still be just about the best HD weapon you can own.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best all purpose shotgun for a new shotgunner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!