How much for an entry-level safe?

PDA

Telperion
January 29, 2006, 04:39 AM
What's the next level up, in security, from an RSC? What should I expect to pay for something that can hold a dozen long guns with some space for handguns?

If you enjoyed reading about "How much for an entry-level safe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
a1abdj
January 29, 2006, 06:49 PM
How much for an entry-level safe?

If by "safe" you mean any container with a combination lock, then you can get uninsulated safes starting at around $300, and insulated safes starting around $400+.

What's the next level up, in security, from an RSC?

There are many safes that are not rated which may or may not be better than an RSC. The first level of UL burglary ratings over RSC is a TL-15, which will have a 1 inch solid steel body (or composite equal), and a 1.5 inch solid steel door (or composite equal).

As far as insurance companies go, a "B Rate" safe is the lowest level of safe. This safe will most commonly have 1/4" steel walls, and 1/2" steel door. A "C Rate" will most commonly have 1/2" steel walls, and a 1" steel door.

What should I expect to pay for something that can hold a dozen long guns with some space for handguns?

Anywhere from $500 to $7,000, depending on the type of safe you want.

Jenrick
January 29, 2006, 07:03 PM
So roughly the same line of questioning: What would I be looking at price wise for a gun safe for maybe one to two longarms, and 3-5 handguns. Same question for just the 3-5 handguns?

What would you recommend in terms of ratings for a gunsafe (RSC, TL-15, etc. )? What features would you recommend? I'm looking for a home safe, that doesn't need to be quickly acessible, just safe and secure.

Thanks for the info,

-Jenrick

Telperion
January 29, 2006, 07:04 PM
So the ordering of ratings is RSC < B-rate < C-rate < TL-15 ?

I'm planning on a safe as the first thing to add when I buy a house, and I wanted to get a rough figure on the cost. You and CB900F have clued me (and others) in to the limitations of RSCs. What level do recommend for people who are willing to pay substantially more for security than what an RSC offers?

a1abdj
January 29, 2006, 07:31 PM
Most UL burglary rated safes are overkill for your normal household use, but a lot of that depends on what you're keeping in your home. I have installed bank quality vaults inside of homes before.

Any rating is just a third parties opinion regarding the minimum performance of the safe. The minimum time to keep somebody out of an RSC is 5 minutes. Some safes with an RSC label may be breached in 5 1/2 minutes, whereas other RSCs may keep somebody out for 20 minutes.

Same goes for burglar rated safes. There are some TL-15 rated safes which are less expensive and less secure than others with the exact same rating.

The biggest problem with any safe that's secure, yet large enough for guns, is the weight. The thicker the steel, the heavier the safe. Once you get to a certain point, you can't put it in your house. As for smaller safes, there's a lot available that isn't really that pricey.

It's all a balancing act. You have to look at what you want to protect, and to what extent. You can get more security, but it will cost more money and add weight.

My very first question to a customer is "What are you looking to protect (and from what), and what is your budget".

If you enjoyed reading about "How much for an entry-level safe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!