[Question Mark]Mosquito or Mark III or P22

PDA

TrafficMan
January 29, 2006, 11:02 AM
I came real close to ploppin down the $250.00 bones on a Ruger Mark III yesterday, but just couldn't make up my mind.

I have owned a Mark II, so i'm familiar with the Ruger .22 autos -- I love the looks of the Sig Mosquito, but from what I have read on the web about accuracy, I am having second thoughts...plus that little pistol is more expensive to boot. Still haven't handled a P22, but I like the looks and the accuracy reports seem promissing.

seriously fellas, I feel like I'm doing this right now. :banghead: HELP ME DECIDE DAMNIT! LOL!

If you enjoyed reading about "[Question Mark]Mosquito or Mark III or P22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jonnyc
January 29, 2006, 01:57 PM
Get the Buckmark.

phorvick
January 29, 2006, 02:03 PM
If you like the look of the Mosquito, take a look at the CZ Kadet. It is the same look, feel etc. of the CZ75, but shoots .22lr...very nice accurate gun...superb for training new shooters.

CAnnoneer
January 29, 2006, 02:03 PM
Mk III is very nice and 250 sounds like a steal deal.

TrafficMan
January 29, 2006, 03:24 PM
Mk III is very nice and 250 sounds like a steal deal.

yeah, it's about 120 bucks cheaper than the Sig. Price was $254.95 on the Ruger MarkIII. So probably around $300, give or take a few dollars, out the door...from what i have read, the Mosquito isn't a real accurate pistol, which is kind of disconcerting.

+1 on the Cadet, I like the CZ brands, but i'm not sure it's on the California DOJ approved list...of course I could order the kit for my CZ75BD, which is my primary SD weapon. Just not wild about having 1.5 pistols.

I'm gonna find a P22 before I make this purchase, I have yet to handle one...
I like the looks of them, and from what I have read, they seem to be solid little pistols. Starting to lean toward the Ruger though...considering I am familiar with them....might even have to handle a 22/45, which I believe are cheaper than the Mark III's? Am I wrong?

thorazine
January 29, 2006, 03:34 PM
If I were in the market for a twenty two pistol,

First choice - SIG
Second choice - Walther

Pilot
January 29, 2006, 04:04 PM
The Sig and Walther .22 's are not on par with the Ruger Mk II's and III's and Buckmarks. They are not even in the same league. The CZ Kadet Kit is great if you already have a CZ-75 variant, but it more expensive than the Ruger or Buckmark if you buy it as a dedicated .22.

45R
January 29, 2006, 04:43 PM
Of the three choices I would go with the Ruger MkIII. Its accurate, reliable and you have plenty of aftermarket choices.

Reap23
January 29, 2006, 06:15 PM
I have 2 Ruger MKII's 5 1/2 bull and a MKIII 22/45. I was just looking two weeks ago for a new .22 pistol, and deciding between the Buckmark and a P22. I had read so many bad posts on the Walther and good on the Buckmark, that I had thought Browning all the way. I have several Browning rifles and shotguns by the way, and I do plan on getting a Buckmark sometime, but when it came to the moment, I chose the Walther.
I ABSOLUTELY love the gun. Over 1200 rounds through it, still no FTF's or FTE's. I'm not cleaning it until I have a problem. :D I am usually the type to clean immediately, but want to see how this thing performs.
I appreciate everyones thoughts and opinions on the forums and I read them daily, but they are just that... opinions. Pick what you like, if you don't like it... trade it in on another. It's just a pistol.

ewb45acp
January 29, 2006, 06:52 PM
I've had a MKII for many years, and I love it lots. So when the MKIII hunter became available, I ran right out and got one. What a pretty gun! And, it balances great in the hand. The trigger was terrible for a single action .22. After 1000+ rounds, there wasn't much improvement.
I'm only guessing it was because of the magazine disconnect they've added.

Everyone's different. You may get one and love it.

Trashman43
January 29, 2006, 07:51 PM
I have a couple of Mark II's and the accuracy in great. I also have a P22 and it won't come close to the Rugers. I haven't had the chance at a Buckmark, but know those that have them rave about them. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend, doesn't it...

atblis
January 29, 2006, 09:54 PM
I'll take any of the others mentioned first.

I have a CZ Kadet, and it is great. I've shot the Rugers and they're good. Haven't got my hands on a Mosquito yet. The trailside is a wonderful little pistol.

runninmike
January 30, 2006, 08:21 PM
I think the BUCKMARK is the best for the money. They certainly have the smoothest triggers of the inexpensive .22s. Ruger MKII or III a close 2nd.
Best-MC

pauli
January 31, 2006, 03:20 AM
mosquito or mkiii or p22? save for a trailside.

Kurt_M
January 31, 2006, 03:40 AM
Get the Ruger. The Mosquito is overpriced and the grip is too small for the average male hand. The P22's grip is also tiny and it isn't built very well at all. The MK III will outlast your grandkids, is incredibly accurate and best of all has a full sized grip. Normally I just advise going with whichever you prefer, but the MK III is head and shoulders above the other two you mentioned. Compare them side by side as I have and you'll see.

atblis
January 31, 2006, 12:58 PM
for $300 bucks. Though be advised they are only selling them with one magazine (But will gladly sell you an extra mag for $40).

The Rugers are great (I would look for a Mark II though). You can get aftermarket parts for them.

ArmedBear
January 31, 2006, 01:05 PM
Remove the magazine disconnect if it's a problem.

The Mark III, 22/45 and Buckmark are serious .22 pistols. They're designed as such. You may or may not like their looks, but they're great guns in their own right.

The P22, Mosquito, etc. are big-boy-toy guns, .22 pistols made to resemble centerfires. There's nothing wrong with that, and that doesn't mean that they're not reliable, well-made, or accurate (to a degree). They might even be more effective for low-cost training. I've shot next to a local SEAL who uses his P22 5" for just that.

But the Ruger and Browning will be more reliable, well-made, and accurate, for less money. And the Ruger can be hotrodded as much as a 10/22 if that's what floats your boat.

BTW if you have real money to spend, the S&W Model 41 is an INCREDIBLE .22 competition gun that's fun as anything to shoot wherever, however. It's just not cheap.

Trumpet
January 31, 2006, 02:21 PM
The Ruger waaaay outclasses the sig and the walther. The skeeter and P22 look cool, but the quality of materials just isn't there. Better yet, get a Buckmark.

atblis
January 31, 2006, 03:10 PM
you mean the Mosquito. The Ruger definitely does not out class the Trailside.

Trumpet
January 31, 2006, 03:12 PM
Yeah. The original poster made no mention of the Trailside, so I wasn't including it. I have heard on rimfirecentral of numerous problems of cracked trigger guards though :scrutiny:

ArmedBear
January 31, 2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah. The original poster made no mention of the Trailside, so I wasn't including it. I have heard on rimfirecentral of numerous problems of cracked trigger guards though :scrutiny:

While the Trailside is (was) the best target gun for anywhere near the price, the Ruger does outclass the Trailside as a genuine plinker and/or first pistol.

I'd hand my Ruger to any reasonably responsible kid because it can be safely dry-fired. It's hard to hurt it. This is not true of the much more delicate (but match-grade) Trailside. It can easily be unintentionally trashed by a neophyte shooter; I wouldn't use it to teach someone.

AK103K
January 31, 2006, 03:30 PM
I have a P22 and its a fun little gun. I've got a couple of thousand rounds through it at this point without a lick of trouble. Its also plenty accurate.

I also have a SIG "skeeter" on the way, so I'll let you know. If its anything like all the other SIG's I have, I dont think I'll be disappointed.

I also have owned a couple of Ruger's .22 autos. They were also good shooters and well made, especially if you consider "weight" to be important in that description. If you do get a Ruger, take the course on how to get it back together. If you dont, get a bottle of whiskey, a couple of Quaalude's, and a bib, cause your gonna need them. :)

ArmedBear
January 31, 2006, 03:50 PM
If you do get a Ruger, take the course on how to get it back together. If you dont, get a bottle of whiskey, a couple of Quaalude's, and a bib, cause your gonna need them. :)

Or just RTFM because if you read and follow directions, it takes about 45 seconds and is really easy.

I've done the cussing, and I've done the reading. The reading turned out to be easier.:p

Mizzle187
January 31, 2006, 03:54 PM
Ive got a P22 and havent had one problem with it. I do clean it everytime I use it though. I have two buddies that have P22's and love them. I dont care for the way the Rugers look but they shoot nicely and Im lookign forward to shooting the Mosquito and the Cadet!

atblis
January 31, 2006, 05:11 PM
the Ruger will in the long run be more durable than the Trailside.

In general though, I've found the Trailside to be more accurate and have a better trigger (Though the Ruger trigger is fixable).

I've also found the Rugers to vary somewhat. Sometimes they are tack drivers, and other times not so much.

I don't hesitate even slightly to call the P22 an utter piece of crap. I've shot three of them, they all jammed, and were inaccurate. I would buy one for $50 bucks, simply because I know I could resell it for more.

AK103K
January 31, 2006, 05:32 PM
Or just RTFM because if you read and follow directions, it takes about 45 seconds and is really easy.

I've done the cussing, and I've done the reading. The reading turned out to be easier.
Its been awhile, but I dont remember the manual being all that clear on putting it back together, perhaps they had some complaints and addressed that. ;)

Once you get the knack down, its no problem at all, its just getting there without Yoda and the force. :)

atblis,
I guess you have some bad luck when it comes to P22's. Maybe they sense your dislike of them and they are just being contrary to piss you off. :)

As for Ruger triggers, the first thing you need to do on any Ruger, be it rifle or pistol, is send it out for a trigger job. I've had a number of both and to a one, they had to have their triggers done. My pistols always seemed to be worse though.

TexasRifleman
January 31, 2006, 05:36 PM
Ive got a P22 and havent had one problem with it. I do clean it everytime I use it though. I have two buddies that have P22's and love them.

Same here. I just bought one last week for my 10 year old and he put close to 400 rounds of the cheap-o Federal bulk stuff from Wal Mart through it over the weekend and it had not one single hiccup other than one piece of brass fell back in and stopped it. The ejector was a bit too long so I took the tiniest amount off and now it's fine.

All these horror stories about the P22 and from what I've read lead me to believe that there has been a design change sometime in the last year or so that has fixed whatever problems there were. Everyone I've talked to that shot a new one recently has given glowing reports.

atblis
February 1, 2006, 12:37 AM
They used to sell like crazy around me. Most of the gun dealers don't cary them anymore. I know one guy who has sent his back three times, and the dumb thing still doesn't work right. He just puts up with obligatory jam per mag now.

thunder
February 1, 2006, 06:07 PM
For those that OWN the p22, how's the accuracy? To be honest, I'm not to impressed with my 22/45's...

Quickdraw Limpsalot
February 1, 2006, 06:31 PM
Ruger, or consider a Buckmark. They both outshoot the others choices listed every day in MY hands.

[edit]regarding P22 accuracy in the post above... Some people are going to tell you that the P22 is super accurate, but I won't be one of them.

AK103K
February 1, 2006, 06:48 PM
For those that OWN the p22, how's the accuracy? To be honest, I'm not to impressed with my 22/45's...

I think mines accurate, at least I usually hit what I point it at. At 15 yards I can put most of a 50 round box into a hole about the size of a silver dollar with a few fliers opening things up to the bottom of a pop can or so. Works for me. I really dont remember my Rugers doing a whole lot better, but it has been awhile since I had one.

browningguy
February 2, 2006, 12:38 AM
In .22's the current stash includes :
Ruger standard model, pre mk II
Sig Trailside standard model
High Standard Military HD
Beretta 70S
Beretta 76
and the newest addition Walther P22

And over the years I bought and gotten rid of several more (including Browning and Pardini), I'm sort of a .22 pistol whore.

The Rugers are a good plinker, but as already mentioned none come from the factory with a decent trigger, I think they have a crappy trigger policy for all firearms. But there are lots of extra gadgets you can buy for them to turn them into absolute tackdrivers. Actually you can buy enough bits and pieces to make them cost almost as much as a Pardini or Morini.

The Trailside is decent (now), although it had to have some repairs done due to FTE issues(I bought mine the first month or two they were available). I really like mine, but it may not be for everyone. My opinion, not backed up by any facts are that it isn't as "tough" as a Ruger, for instance. But since I don't abuse my firearms it's not an issue for me. It's more accurate than any of the stock Rugers I've shot over the years, but keep in mind I have not shot a MKIII.

The Beretta 70S is the short barrel model and is really a lot of fun. It must be some wierd Euro idea of a small bore carry gun, a nearly full size/short barreled pistol in 22. Accurate and reliable with a decent trigger.

Beretta 76, if you can find one of these used buy it, an excellent trigger, not a true target trigger like a Pardini but close. Every one I see is around $450-550 used though.

The High Standard is simply the cream of the production gun crop. Mine is vintage 1948 and will still shoot with any current production gun, by far the best trigger of the bunch, and the most accurate.

The Walther is quite a surprise, I tried one when they first came out and it made the Ruger seem like a match quality trigger, absolutely horrible, long, heavy and gritty. But about a month ago I was in my local shop playing with various pistols and tried one, now they have a pretty deccent plinking trigger, definately not target grade but better than most factory Rugers I've tried.

It seems reliable with Stingers, Minimags and Eley Pistol and Match ammo, accuracy is decent but definately not on par with the Trailside/Beretta 76/ High Standard. The grip is a little narrow for my taste, but the daughter loved it. You can also unload it, apply the safety and dry fire to your hearts content.

I didn't like the Browning standard model I had, but do like the target models, all I have shot were reliable and good accuracy. A friend bought a Neos and it seems to be a reasonable plinker, not terribly impressed with the trigger , but fairly accurate.

Just one mans opinion, yours may vary.

If you enjoyed reading about "[Question Mark]Mosquito or Mark III or P22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!