Stainless steel barrel vs. steel barrel

PDA

sfrost1s
April 11, 2003, 12:28 PM
Other than corrosion and cost, what are the major pros and cons between a stainless steel barrel and a steel barrel?

If you enjoyed reading about "Stainless steel barrel vs. steel barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
April 11, 2003, 02:33 PM
i don't know if it applies to handguns, but stainless rifle barrels are supposed to be more accurate and wear better...more consistent?...at least that's what armalite said when i ordered my M-15T

CZ-75
April 11, 2003, 03:38 PM
They also cost more, so think about that when someone is selling you a gun.

9mmepiphany
April 11, 2003, 04:19 PM
they also lend themselves better to being fluted, coated with teflon and then polished. the colored/filled flutes contrasting with the polished stainless steel is very :cool: ... especially on an ar with a colored/vented/floating handguard

Standing Wolf
April 11, 2003, 05:56 PM
I'd like stainless steel a lot better if it could be blued. I don't mind it too much in a carry gun, since a.) it's fairly practical, and b.) it's supposed to be concealed, but blued steel always looks better to my eye.

JohnKSa
April 11, 2003, 09:02 PM
You see a lot of stainless steel barrels on benchrest guns...

It's not because they are cheaper.

dakotasin
April 12, 2003, 12:41 AM
what i have heard, but do not personally know for fact:

stainless barrels are more accurate and provide longer life.
stainless barrels do not handle extreme cold weather as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stainless steel barrel vs. steel barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!