No More ILLINOIS F.O.I.D. ?

PDA

charliemopic
January 30, 2006, 12:43 PM
My wife applied for her IL. Firearms Owners ID (FOID) in August 2004 and recieved it within 3 weeks. I applied for my IL. FOID on Nov. 22, 2005 and havn't heard anything!
We've been shooting regularly for the past 3 years, I shoot about 3 times a month depending on the weather. I shoot on my mother in law's farm which is a 20 minute drive on semi-rural roads and sometimes I will leave my guns there but there are times when I do transport my gun(s) to & from the farm for cleaning,ect. When I do transport I do it in my 1994 4door 4x4 S10 Blazer which has no trunk and I try to do it right with the bolt removed from my bolt action rifle and the slide removed from my auto pistols with a trigger lock or cable lock on all stored in a lockable 'gun' case. Ammunition, Shoot & See targets, rifle bipod and other range necessities are stored away from the guns and none of it within ez reach of passenger seating. I also keep a copy of the sales reciept in the gun case. All this should indicate responsible firearms ownership.
Now that I have introduced a few friends to 'responsible' gun ownership and 'safe' shooting we would like to go to an indoor pistol range but this requires an IL. FOID for all Illinois residents. Even worse, I just found out it is a FELONY for IL. residents to transport any firearm in IL. without a FOID! 'I' am not a criminal and have every desire and intention to be lawful but geez-maneez whats it gonna take to become lawful?
~Does anyone have any information on the issuance or non-issuance of new IL. FOID cards?
Nowdays when you're pulled over for a traffic stop the officer will ask if there are any drugs, guns or other things he/she should know about and I would have to say "yes" to the gun part of that question. I live in Will county, IL. and our officers aren't bad at all when compared to some of the small town cops around here but I would stilll expect to go to jail.
~Any thought or comments?
Thanks.
Angelo B. New Lenox, IL.

If you enjoyed reading about "No More ILLINOIS F.O.I.D. ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dmftoy1
January 30, 2006, 01:04 PM
There was an article in the paper about 2-3 week ago about the State Police being 60 days behind on issuing FOIDS. It's supposed to take 30 days max. From what I understand Blago made cuts in the State Police in the department that issues FOIDS. I was talking to the people who run the large local gunshop and they said that issue has since been corrected with some new hires, but I don't know if that's true or not. I suspect you'll be receiving your card soon.

Regards,
Dave

DonP
January 30, 2006, 02:27 PM
I'm up in Frankfort, an escapee from Crook County for the last 15 years.

The FOID foolishness is supposedly in the process of getting fixed, so you should be seeing your card in a few weeks, if not sooner.

It's kind of a waste though, since it was put in before the Instant Background Checks. But heaven forbid the idiot governnor ends any program that generates revenue and gives him and Daley the names of every Illinois gun owner.

If you are looking for a nice range that is fairly close and don't want to pay the ISRA fees for their range in Kankakee try Willow Slough across the border in free Indiana. 25, 50 and 100 yard ranges with very nice covered bench rests as well as a trap range. All free to use.

Pretty good fishing at the lake too I hear.

Canuck-IL
January 30, 2006, 02:33 PM
A friend had the same predicament on a renewal...he called and was told that the card had been issued 3 weeks earlier but not yet mailed out...they do them in batches (only in IL!!)...card showed up 3 days later.
/B

scout26
January 30, 2006, 03:38 PM
Charliemopic,

I went through the same thing last year for my renewal in . 2 days before my FOID card expired, I carefully went through my car and made sure that all the loose rounds ( .270 ??? Where did that come from ??? I've never owned or even fired a .270 ???). Told my wife that all the guns in the safe, in case anyone asked, were hers (as her FOID was still good for another 2 years), but that she could not sell them. :evil: Then the card expired. I technically became a felon when three weeks later I took the guns out of the safe for their quarterly wipe-down and oiling. It took 5 weeks after mine expired to get the renewal even though I had sent mine in the Saturday after I got the renewal notice in the mail. (roughly 9 weeks total !!!!)

No Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand or Sporting Clays during that time. :( :mad: :fire: :cuss: Not even so much as plinking with a .22.

IANAL, but I seriously advise against driving around with any firearms and no FOID card. It only takes one cop having a bad day or an over zealous states attorney to end your 2A rights. That's why my 12 year old daughter has a FOID card (which surprisingly only took 3 weeks, go figure.)

"No officer, those aren't my guns in the back, they're my daughter's, here's her FOID card." :what: :neener: :D :rolleyes:

She also had to "buy" the bag of wads and a bag of shot I tried to buy at Gander Mountain while my card was expired. I figured that since I "didn't" have a FOID card, that I couldn't buy Primers or Powder, the stuff that goes bang, but geez, 25# of lead and bag of plastic requires "Offical Government Approval".

Two years ago, a buddy of mine just sat around at Deer Camp, because his FOID had expired, even though he had sent in his renewal early.

Yep, It's a stupid law, but it's still the law.

Johnnybgood
January 30, 2006, 03:42 PM
a bill to repeal the FOID card act. Bill# 2963. I think the man wants to be our next Governer.:)

tulsamal
January 30, 2006, 03:54 PM
Yep, It's a stupid law, but it's still the law.

So was the one that required German Jews to wear yellow stars on their clothes. Look how well that one ended up!

Every time I hear stuff like this I have to shake my head. It doesn't even seem possible. Like they say, "You can't make this stuff up!"

Gregg

scout26
January 30, 2006, 04:39 PM
Tulsamal,

Interesting analogy. I do resent the fact that I have to have a "permission slip" from the state government to exercise my RTKABA, but I am working to change the law. We are law-abiding gun-owners.

Maybe when I'm 90, I'll volunteer to be the test case. Unless someone else
wants to step up and risk their 2A rights before then.........but then this is the state that produced the infamous Morton Grove decision....

alan
January 30, 2006, 05:41 PM
An article in 10 Feb issue of Gun Week told about how the Chicago Tribune is pushing for a significant increase in the FOID Card Fee, saying that even with doubling or tripling the fee, it would still be "affordable".

Strikes me that the question of "affordability" is beside the point, for a 1943 USSC ruling, Murdock v Pennsylvania I believe, appears to say that the state charging a fee for the exercise of a constitutional right is a "no-no". Seems that this is exactly what this FOID Card and it's attached fee does. Of course, I'm rather less than expert in constitutional law in particular, or in the law in general. I wonder if the above mentioned ruling has ever been overturned?

I also believe, not certain about this, that the present governor, how did he get elected had, at one time, opined that the fee might/should be raised to $100 or thereabouts. How does the following sound. The power to tax is the power to destroy.

What with one thing and or another, might it be that Illinois politicos are trying to destroy the right to keep and bear arms? Perhaps something for some to think about.

Standing Wolf
January 30, 2006, 07:58 PM
An article in 10 Feb issue of Gun Week told about how the Chicago Tribune is pushing for a significant increase in the FOID Card Fee, saying that even with doubling or tripling the fee, it would still be "affordable".

Hey, if it keeps even one commoner from buying a gun...

isp2605
January 30, 2006, 09:34 PM
Here's the deal on why the cards are backlogged.
3 yrs ago the governor put the edict to all state agencies under his control that all contractual workers were to be off the state payroll by the end of 2004. Contractual workers are employed by a temp agency who then work for the state. It's a substantial savings for the state. Contractuals get paid maybe $10/hr, sometimes less, sometimes a dollar more. The savings is the state doesn't have to pay retirement, insurance, work comp, etc. Flat out cost to the state is the hourly rate. The plan was to replace some of the contractuals with hiring full time state employees. The reason for terminating contract employees and hiring state employees to replace them I'll leave to others to speculate.
State agencies had to terminate the contracts with the temp employees. The State Police was granted an extension until 2005 however until that time contractuals were gradually terminated. Most of the FOID processing was done by the contractual so when the they were removed there were no other persons left to do the processing. Some of the processing was contracted out to a private vendor which is why one may hear of "batch" issuances.
It's not just FOID where you're going to see reduction in state services, altho FOID is what people on these boards are interested in so that gets the attention. If you are getting any service from any agency under the governor you would have seen a reduction in timeliness compared to when contractual employees were on the job.
So it's no conspiracy on FOID. It's all of state services that are affected. There's nearly 1/4 mil FOID cards renewed every year. I don't know what the backlog is right now but it was about 25,000 cards. Some contractual help has been hired. It will take a while to catch up the backlog and also continue with renewal of the normal 1/4 mil received plus any new applications.
Reference the cost for those not in IL or those in IL who don't know. FOID costs $5 for 5 yrs. $3 of that goes to conservation. $2 goes to administering and issuing the card. This cost was set in 1968. However, issuing costs are now about $7 per card.

scout26
January 31, 2006, 12:28 PM
Reference the cost for those not in IL or those in IL who don't know. FOID costs $5 for 5 yrs. $3 of that goes to conservation. $2 goes to administering and issuing the card. This cost was set in 1968. However, issuing costs are now about $7 per card.

And if we eliminate the FOID card the cost is then $0. But in the meantime, until we find someone willing to a) risk their 2A rights and b) make sure that it'll be a slam dunk for our side (again, I point to the Morton Grove case, in which we lost and lost badly, when everyone thought that it would be a slam dunk for our side.), we have to obey the law, while we work to change it.

Mongo the Mutterer
January 31, 2006, 01:07 PM
The reason for terminating contract employees and hiring state employees to replace them I'll leave to others to speculate. How about AFSCME?
:scrutiny:

isp2605
January 31, 2006, 03:50 PM
How about AFSCME?
:scrutiny:

I'm not commenting. Surmise as one wishes.

(AFSCME endorsed the current guv for election in 2002.)

Don Gwinn
January 31, 2006, 07:11 PM
He's trying to give you as much information as he can. Don't try to get him into trouble for doing that, OK?

Gatman
January 31, 2006, 08:07 PM
At one point $500 was suggested. They said we should raise the cost to $7.00 to meet the cost. Wouldnt it make more sense to end this useless program?

Thundercleese
January 31, 2006, 08:24 PM
Note : A year or two ago they passed a law which made it legal for someone without a FOID card to go shooting as long as they are with someone who has a FOID. So you can take your buddies with you as long as you're using your guns and you have a FOID.

But yeah, screw this state anyway. :)

Mongo the Mutterer
January 31, 2006, 08:49 PM
He's trying to give you as much information as he can. Don't try to get him into trouble for doing that, OK?OK.

Just glad Granny left Jerseyville about 1900...

oneshooter
January 31, 2006, 11:29 PM
Shore am glad I live in TEXAS!!!:D

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas

Houndawg
January 31, 2006, 11:44 PM
I'm not commenting. Surmise as one wishes.

(AFSCME endorsed the current guv for election in 2002.)

And now they're supporting Topinkavich in the primary.

isp2605
February 1, 2006, 12:04 AM
And now they're supporting Topinkavich in the primary.

Yes, but the inquiry was about why all the contractual people were being removed with the intent to replace some with new hired state employees.

Don Gwinn
February 1, 2006, 12:22 AM
Just glad Granny left Jerseyville about 1900...
Yuh huh. How are those permits to buy handguns working out for ya?
;)
Illinois politics suck, but Missouri is not exactly utopia.

Houndawg
February 1, 2006, 12:38 AM
Yes, but the inquiry was about why all the contractual people were being removed with the intent to replace some with new hired state employees.

Because the new hires broke out the checkbooks. The same way we are getting Majors and Wardens at the prisons that are hired off the street with no corrections experience.

Mongo the Mutterer
February 1, 2006, 09:49 AM
Yuh huh. How are those permits to buy handguns working out for ya?
;)
Illinois politics suck, but Missouri is not exactly utopia.Permits work fine, PITA waste of time though. My favorite gun dealer says they (we) are going to try to get a law through next year to get rid of the Permit to Purchase (for those non-Missourians, we have to go to the sherriff's office to apply for purchase of a handgun, and take the paperwork to the dealer.)

At least I don't have to show a FOID card everytime I buy ammo. Just bought 500 rounds at Wally World in Chesterfield Friday. "Here's my cash... here's your ammo".

isp2605
February 1, 2006, 09:58 AM
(for those non-Missourians, we have to go to the sherriff's office to apply for purchase of a handgun, and take the paperwork to the dealer.)

You have to apply for a permit from the sheriff everytime you buy a handgun? And you think FOID is a hassle???:rolleyes:
No thanks. As little as a FOID card does, choosing between FOID and MO's process, I'll stick with FOID.

Mongo the Mutterer
February 1, 2006, 10:19 AM
You have to apply for a permit from the sheriff everytime you buy a handgun? And you think FOID is a hassle???:rolleyes:
No thanks. As little as a FOID card does, choosing between FOID and MO's process, I'll stick with FOID.Yep it is a PAIN, but it may be going away...

We don't have a statewide hit list of gun owners, as Illinois has. Oh, and Brady lists MO as a D+ (not good enough, but we are trying). Illinois is a B+.

charliemopic
February 4, 2006, 12:32 AM
Given the ultra slow process time for IL. FOID I wonder how many LEOs are out there with expired FOIDs waiting on their renewals?

Houndawg
February 4, 2006, 01:15 AM
Given the ultra slow process time for IL. FOID I wonder how many LEOs are out there with expired FOIDs waiting on their renewals?

It doesn't matter for them. They don't have to have FOIDs to carry at work.

Gatman
February 4, 2006, 01:32 AM
It doesn't matter for them. They don't have to have FOIDs to carry at work.

What about off duty? :evil:

Houndawg
February 4, 2006, 01:35 AM
What about off duty? :evil:

If their department allows it, then their creds will cover them. If not, then their creds will still cover them. Who's gonna bust a cop for carrying or having guns in the house?

PCGS65
February 4, 2006, 01:57 AM
No thanks. As little as a FOID card does, choosing between FOID and MO's process, I'll stick with FOID.
You mean there's a state worse than(anti every right)Illinois for buying/owning firearms? That's hard to believe? Is Missouri run by democrats?

Don Gwinn
February 4, 2006, 02:33 AM
Honestly? No, it's not worse. It's not perfect, but that's all I was saying.

Illinois still sucks more. But we'll always have Da Bears.

Jeff White
February 4, 2006, 05:50 AM
Houndawg,

The police do have to have a FOID card to carry at work. That law was changed at least 10 years ago.

BTW, there are many states with worse restrictions of firearms then Illinois. As Don said, in Missouri you have to get a permit from the local police to buy a handgun, every time. Other states have restrictions on so called assault weapons, longer waiting periods etc.

Jeff

PCGS65
February 4, 2006, 06:26 AM
Hey Don, Jeff isn't there only four states in the country that doesn't allow CCW? With Illinois being one of them, and wisconsin another. To me that would be the four worst states for 2A rights.

charliemopic
February 4, 2006, 01:27 PM
If their department allows it, then their creds will cover them. If not, then their creds will still cover them. Who's gonna bust a cop for carrying or having guns in the house?
I've tried to read and comprehend the Illinois firearm statues but it is confusing and seems to contradict itself.
Do you need a FOID to simply posses (not shoot) a firearm on your Illinois private property, in your dwelling, your home?
I shoot outdoors on the in-law's 200 or so acre farm in Will county,IL. I have a makeshift range set up no less than 100 yards from the state gravel road and about 70 yards from the house. I shoot away from any structure, house, barn, whatever at a downward angle into a pit or bullet catch so if a bullet does get past the pit it will strike the earth shortly thereafter.
The father in law is not a hunter and does not have a FOID. He does however carry an old tube fed Remington .22LR semi-auto rifle loaded with CCI Stinger .22LR ammo with him in the combine during harvest not for protection but for cayote and certain nuisance birds that he shoots. He sees cayote regularly but never took one.
Could he technically get into big trouble for this?
We don't own nor shoot any centerfire rifles.
Thanks
BTW, I am going to get the father-inlaw a FOID application and try to talk him into sending it in.

sctman800
February 4, 2006, 01:37 PM
Illinois is near the bottom of the barrel on gun rights but I think there are more things to consider than being one of the four non CCW states. It is my understanding that Hawaii and New Jersey both have CCW laws but just try to get one. In Mass. a loaded mag is treated as a loaded gun, while we at least have "fanny pack" carry.
Of course if the present proposed Illinois AWB would pass then that would pretty much put us on the bottom. Jim.

Don Gwinn
February 4, 2006, 01:58 PM
Do you need a FOID to simply posses (not shoot) a firearm on your Illinois private property, in your dwelling, your home?
Yes, you do. Sorry. Same for ammunition. There's an exception for shooting with someone else who has a valid FOID, but I believe that's a newer thing.

Your father-in-law is breaking the law. Whether he gets caught is of course up in the air, but yeah, he's certainly taking a risk. He's better off with the FOID.

The Illinois FOID Card Act (http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapAct=430%26nbsp%3BILCS%26nbsp%3B65%2F&ChapterID=39&ChapterName=PUBLIC+SAFETY&ActName=Firearm+Owners+Identification+Card+Act%2E&Print=True) is available online at www.ilga.gov where you can search all Illinois laws, legislators' information, and proposed legislation.

The relevant part for this discussion says:

(430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83‑2)
Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.
(a) (1) No person may acquire or possess any firearm,

stun gun, or taser within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
(2) No person may acquire or possess firearm

ammunition within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.
So we check under "sentence" and find this:
(430 ILCS 65/14) (from Ch. 38, par. 83‑14)
Sec. 14. Sentence.
(a) A violation of paragraph (1) of subsection (a) of Section 2, when the person's Firearm Owner's Identification Card is expired but the person is not otherwise disqualified from renewing the card, is a Class A misdemeanor.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (a) with respect to an expired card, a violation of paragraph (1) of subsection (a) of Section 2 is a Class A misdemeanor when the person does not possess a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card, but is otherwise eligible under this Act. A second or subsequent violation is a Class 4 felony.
(c) A violation of paragraph (1) of subsection (a) of Section 2 is a Class 3 felony when:
(1) the person's Firearm Owner's Identification Card

is revoked or subject to revocation under Section 8; or
(2) the person's Firearm Owner's Identification Card

is expired and not otherwise eligible for renewal under this Act; or
(3) the person does not possess a currently valid

Firearm Owner's Identification Card, and the person is not otherwise eligible under this Act.

So I think, in my little layman's brain, that the first offense will be a misdemeanor. The second would be a felony. That only applies if he's "qualified" to get a FOID when they check, though. If he has some disqualifying factor like a criminal record it goes straight to a felony, I believe.

Onmilo
February 4, 2006, 02:13 PM
If you live in Illinois and need to have your FOID renewed do so at a gun shop that processes FOID applications.
Ask for a receipt, most will give you one anyway, have the shop list on the receipt that you are reapplying to renew your current card.
Keep the receipt wrapped around your old card until you receive your new card.
90% of the law enforcement in Illinois realize you are not at fault for the state taking so long to send your new card and will honor the receipt as proof of a valid right to transport and use your firearms while you are waiting for your new card.
Should your card expire before you receive your new one, you will not be able to buy ammunition or firearms until you receive the new card but you will not go to jail for taking your firearms to the shooting range or out hunting.

This applies to areas south of Interstate 80,
I make no guarantees for what can happen to you if you live or travel through the Chicagoland area.

charliemopic
February 22, 2006, 09:50 AM
It has been 3 full months since I have applied for my first IL. FOID.
I wonder if anyone knows of anyone who has recieved an IL. FOID during the past few months?
Has anyone seen any evidence that Illinois FOID cards are in fact still being issued to non-LEOs?
If an administration wanted to curtail the state's population from legal firearm ownership real clever like this would be one way to do it.

Kingcreek
February 22, 2006, 05:14 PM
I can only suggest you try what I did when my renewal app was delayed. I called my state rep and state senators offices, I called the ISRA, I called the ISP firearm division (they process the FOIDs), and I called the governor's office. all this was during one afternoon a few days before mine was to expire. I protested that I did not violate any state laws- even tho I disagreed with them! I kept calling and made myself a pain in thier springfield butts until the director of the ISP firearm division called me personally and said they were expediting my app.:evil:

whm1974
February 22, 2006, 10:20 PM
No person may acquire or possess any firearm,

stun gun, or taser within this State without having in his or her possession a Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act.

What does IL considers a stun gun? Would a device that uses a 9 volt battery count? I have one and have shocked myself with it. While it hurts , it wouldn't "stun" anyone. Come to think of it, it doesn't hurt all that much.

-Bill

Zundfolge
February 22, 2006, 10:46 PM
(for those non-Missourians, we have to go to the sherriff's office to apply for purchase of a handgun, and take the paperwork to the dealer.)You have to apply for a permit from the sheriff everytime you buy a handgun? And you think FOID is a hassle???:rolleyes:

LOL

If you'll indulge the Godwin, I'm picturing a German Jew and a Russian Jew arguing over who's better, Hitler or Stalin. :neener:

Huntzman
February 22, 2006, 11:39 PM

I agree with ISP on this one. Coming from NYC, you have no idea what a pleasure the FOID card is. I'm not saying it's perfect, but compared to what you have to go through in NYC, you'd being doing cartwheels !!:what:

Autolycus
February 23, 2006, 03:02 AM

I agree. However at least in MO they can CCW. I would rather deal with the hassle and the ability to CCW than less hassle and no CCW.

Hk91 Fan
February 23, 2006, 03:03 AM
They got together today and passed this law for you, Charlie! By the way, I love New Lenox. My good friend lives there. Great place place to be!

Last Action
Date Chamber Action
2/22/2006 Senate Placed on Calendar Order of First Reading February 23, 2006

Statutes Amended In Order of Appearance
430 ILCS 65/10 from Ch. 38, par. 83-10

Synopsis As Introduced
Amends the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. Provides that when the Department of State Police fails to act upon an application for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card within 30 days after receipt, or if the application was wrongfully denied, the applicant may seek relief from the circuit court in writing in the county of his or her residence. Provides that the applicant is entitled to recover any costs, attorney's fees, damages, and not less than $100 per day nor more than $500 per day for every day past the 30th day in which the Department failed to act. Effective immediately.

NukemJim
February 23, 2006, 04:48 AM
However at least in MO they can CCW. I would rather deal with the hassle and the ability to CCW than less hassle and no CCW.

+1
NukemJim

Matthew748
February 23, 2006, 06:59 AM
Here is a story for you. On 2-11-06 I sent away for my Pennsylvania non-resident CCW permit. Since I was in visiting my folks in Illinois, I asked my dad when his FOID card expired. He said he had a month or two on it. Being the good son that I am, I got the renewal form from the IL state police site and had him fill it out. It was sent the same day my PA CCW application went out. I got my PA permit yesterday. My dad is still waiting on his FOID card. Its funny that Pennsylvania moves so fast for folks that are not even residents while Illinois stalls and dawdles when it comes to issuing FOID cards to residents of the state.

charliemopic
February 23, 2006, 02:24 PM
Hk91 Fan...I'm not sure what what all those words mean but I thank you for bringing it to our attention.
It sounds like if I cannot get a FOID due to the state's slow processing and I loose money, pay, income or whatever as a result of the slow processing I may be able to recoupe some of that.
-or-
if i am arrested or otherwise suffer some sort of a lose bcuz of the slow processing i may be able to get some legal fees back but these are just guesses.
Anyone care expond on Hk91 Fan post?

mp510
February 23, 2006, 02:38 PM
Hk91 Fan...I'm not sure what what all those words mean but I thank you for bringing it to our attention.
It sounds like if I cannot get a FOID due to the state's slow processing and I loose money, pay, income or whatever as a result of the slow processing I may be able to recoupe some of that.
-or-
if i am arrested or otherwise suffer some sort of a lose bcuz of the slow processing i may be able to get some legal fees back but these are just guesses.
Anyone care expond on Hk91 Fan post?

Neither right now:uhoh:
That was just read for the first time today. It would help you if they wrongfully denied your ap. or delayed it beyond the prescribed time period. You would stll be breaking the law, and that would not protect you.

LawDog
February 23, 2006, 03:12 PM
You have to apply for a permit from the sheriff everytime you buy a handgun? And you think FOID is a hassle???

I'll stay in Texas, thankyewverrymuch.

LawDog

alan
February 23, 2006, 04:11 PM
charliemopic:

Just a couple of thoughts re yur post, to some extent perhaps applicable to some others also. Whom did you vote for?

Secondly, and this is purely reflective of MY OWN THOUGHTS, you included a list of guns you own, at the end of your post. I have seen others do the same thing. While it is entirely your business, are you sure that you want to post, on an OPEN SITE, this sort of information?

Best of luck in your battle with state bureaucracy.

Hk91 Fan
February 23, 2006, 05:00 PM
Sorry to hihjack this post friends,

I usually dont post too often, but I thought that this was important. I read it as saying that if your FOID card application is not processed in a timely fashion, the state police are to be penalized in the form of fines. Essentially, this law is an attempt at fixing the type of problem that you are experiencing. I hope it does fix this problem, yet, I doubt that it will as government fixes tend to backfire at times. However, we can all have hope. The link is enclosed below so that those of you who better understand the law can look over it. Good luck, Charlie!

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=4529&GAID=8&GA=94&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=22821&SessionID=50

alan
February 24, 2006, 12:24 AM
Hk91 Fan:

From what one finds at the link provided, thank you, a very interesting proposal. More important than that is the following.

1. What is the likelhood of it being enacted?
2. What is the likelhood of an avowedly anti gun governor signing it into law?

asknight
February 24, 2006, 02:02 AM
You mean that Illinois is completely ignoring HR218 and requiring LEOs to have a FOID and concealed carry permit?

http://njlawman.com/Articles/Article%2018.htm

WASHINGTON - Today, in a Roosevelt Room Ceremony the bill which we have come to know simply as H.R. 218 was signed into law by President George W. Bush.

- on duty, off duty, and retired.

dmftoy1
February 24, 2006, 01:34 PM
Just got my FOID back. (Sent in January 25th) I can't complain. (other than the fact that the program exists)

Have a good one,
Dave

isp2605
February 24, 2006, 06:30 PM
"You mean that Illinois is completely ignoring HR218 and requiring LEOs to have a FOID and concealed carry permit?"

IL does not issue any kind of carry permit. There is no CCW in IL. FOID does not authorize any kind of carry. An IL resident has to have a FOID to possess or buy guns and ammo.

Roz
February 24, 2006, 11:33 PM
Charlie,

I moved here from Texas in September of '05. Applied for FOID in September, received it in JANUARY!!! Finally got to transport my firearms/ammo from my cottage in MI, to IL the middle of January. Couldn't believe how long it took to get the FOID.

Good luck to you, and call the ISP or state rep and complain.

isp2605
February 25, 2006, 07:49 AM
"Couldn't believe how long it took to get the FOID.
Good luck to you, and call the ISP or state rep and complain."

Go back and read post #11 on page 1 and you'll see the reason it took 4 months for you to get your FOID and who caused the delay. The ISP and the state rep aren't who you need to be calling to complain.

Roz
February 25, 2006, 09:28 AM
I fully understand what happened to cause the delay, however, unless you voice your complaints, no one will care. Regardless of whether or not the ISP or your state rep have power over the issue, if you complain enough, your voice will be heard.

There have been several cases, where enough pressure was placed on the rep's office, that the card approval was moved through quicker. Check over on illinoiscarry.com.

Luckily I'll hopefully only have to be in this God foresaken state for another 6 months or so. If I have my druthers, I'll move back to either Texas or MI. Hopefully not OH, but that's been bandied about a few too many times for my liking.

isp2605
February 25, 2006, 09:58 AM
"Regardless of whether or not the ISP or your state rep have power over the issue, if you complain enough, your voice will be heard."

The complaints should be made to the entity that caused the delay. The others will listen to the complaint but are powerless to fix it. Go to the source.

alan
February 25, 2006, 02:38 PM
FOID card problems appear to be a direct result of games played by anti-gun Governor, former anti-gun Congressman Balgovich and his administration. Complaints likely should bve directed to the origin of the problem, above mentioned. Of course, given his well known record, one might wonder as to how he came to be elected governor, but that is a question of Ilinois Politics, about which I know next to nothing.

The state does seem to have a long history of anti gun administrations and make-up of the state legislature, which leads to the following question. Do anti gunners constitute a large majority of Illinois voters? If this is not the case, do we see here another example of Gun Owners Being Their Own Worst Enemies?

Of course, Pennsylvania, where I reside these days also has problems, one of them known as Philadelphia, which might here be the equivalent of Cook County, sometimes known as CROOK COUNTY, (Chicago). People in PA were never saddled with anything akin to this FOID card foolishness, and PA is also a SHALL ISSUE STATE, which makes a very large dfference.

Was it Thomas Jefferson who suposedly said something to the effect that People Usually Get The Sort of Government That They Didn't Vote Against?

larry_minn
February 25, 2006, 04:57 PM
The wife does not even ask why I won't buy a THING in IL. I fill up with gas before and will drive thru before stopping to buy ANYTHING.
Heck I am worried a ticket (I didn't buy it so no choice in matter) lays over in Chicago. I am considering sending my gun to my home.

If you enjoyed reading about "No More ILLINOIS F.O.I.D. ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!