Ruger .22 Pistol: Can I get it dated?

PDA

Deer Hunter
January 30, 2006, 09:39 PM
I've got some serial numbers on my Ruger .22 (Mark II or something, I don't really know the names of rugers). Story behind this one is that my Grandfather, way back in the day, went to Mexico. While there, he purchased a .22 pistol for mexican prices. After my grandfather passed away of cancer, my father took the pistol and gave it to me. I shot it a few times, and was pleased with it (I was 15 and I wanted a .45, but this was my paw paw's and I was happy to have it, along with his Marlin 30-30). The magazine might hold ten, but I can only fit nine in it. I tried cleaning it a bit on the inside with a q-tip and some bore solvent, but I'd like to strip it down and clean everything about it.

Anyone know if there's a site where I can find out how old this is? Like I said, I've got the serial numbers, but not a clue what to do with them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger .22 Pistol: Can I get it dated?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gc67
January 30, 2006, 09:44 PM
you can try the guys at www.rugerforum.com

Sistema1927
January 30, 2006, 09:45 PM
You can find out when it was made by serial number here:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/SE-CalSerialHistory.html

If it is a Mark I (or Standard Model) it will only hold 9 rounds in the magazine.

Deer Hunter
January 30, 2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the information, and I just got some information on it. It wasn't purchased in Mexico, the holster was. I was under a false understanding.

Thanks again for the sites. Looks like it was made in 1950. And indeed, it's a mark 1. Looks like I should stop trying to force in that tenth round :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger .22 Pistol: Can I get it dated?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!