Thoughts on Baby Eagle 9MM Wanted

PDA

D-Man
January 31, 2006, 11:21 AM
I am a potential new gun owner looking for something to practice at the range and keep at home (no concealed carry or anything like that). I like the feel of the full-sized models, and the local shop has a Baby Eagle 9MM that feels great in the hand.

What do people think about these models, especially in relation to somebody who has never owned a handgun before?

Unfortunately, I havent' had the chance to shoot this since none of the local ranges use them, but all the comments I've already read say that it is a very stable and has low recoil.

The price of it is $480, which is a bit on the high side for me, and higher than other prices I see online. But I only have one local shop, and they have given me a lot of help over the past few weeks, so I don't necesarily mind paying a somewhat higher price, as long as I'm not getting ripped off by them.

The only other model I really liked (and have shot) was the Beretta 92FS, but that is about $40 more. The Taurus 92 felt just as nice, and would be cheaper, but doesn't feel as substantial as either the Eagle or Beretta to me. I shot a few Glocks, and while they felt decent, the lack of external safety rules those out.

I appreciate any comments about this, and I'll go ahead and do more searching of the archives to see what I might of missed (already read a bunch).

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts on Baby Eagle 9MM Wanted" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911user
January 31, 2006, 04:04 PM
I've fired the 45 auto version of the baby eagle and liked it; very nice ergonomics. You should try to handle a CZ-75 since it's based on the same frame as the baby eagle. $480 certainly isn't a bargain, but probably not over MSRP either. If you plan to buy the baby eagle, dry fire it some before purchase just to see how the trigger pull feels. You will not hurt it by dry-fire in spite of what old men at gunshops say.

If the sights work for you and the grip and trigger pull feel good, then you should probably buy it. Reliability should be fine with the heritage of the design. When a firearm fits "just right", it is much more fun to shoot and you should take it home if you have the money. You'll likely keep it longer and shoot better with it.

atblis
January 31, 2006, 04:58 PM
when they were cheaper (I can remember $350 NIB). Now that the prices have climbed... There are other choices that are better (Like a CZ75B which can be had for <$400 NIB).

The Baby Eagles are basically made by Tanfoglio. The internals are identical to the Witness.

As said above, dry firing will not hurt it (what is it with gun dealers?).

Definitely look for a CZ75B.

tomkatz
January 31, 2006, 05:00 PM
Like 1911 user said, try a cz-75 before you buy.....the baby eagle is a good gun but it has that slide mounted safety while the cz has the frame mounted safety.....I just prefer frame mounted as do alot of others, well actually I prefer no safety lever since I like Glocks;) :D
....tom

D-Man
January 31, 2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.....I had been interested in the CZ-75 models, but nobody around here has them in stock, and price-wise, I don't believe they were that much cheaper.

I did call Magnum Research, and they mentioned that the MSRP price did go up $50 this year, and I'm assuming that means they are now $549, since the last listing I saw was $499 on their site (which is not the greatest, or appear current).

The new models do come shipped with 2 magazines, which is nice.

Also, while there is only a 1 year official warranty, it sounds like they will stand by their product if a mishap occurs after this period ends. Of course, you never know until something bad happens.

atblis
February 1, 2006, 12:32 AM
Magnum Research is not known for good customer service. EAA has a lifetime warranty. You can forget about them honoring it. CZ has a five year warranty. They'll actually honor it.

While the BE may be a decent gun, it is most certainly not worth 550 bucks.

I will say that they are probably a good beginner gun (especially in 9mm). I say this because of their mass. The steel frame keep the recoil pleasant, and allows you to develop good shooting habits. Simply put, heavy guns shoot better. Light guns are intended for carrying, not shooting.

Where do you live? You realize that you can buy a gun from just about anybody, as long as you have it shipped to an FFL? You should be able to find an FFL in your area who will do a transfer for less than 20 bucks.

trueblue1776
February 1, 2006, 12:39 AM
I like the Baby Eagle, I love the CZ 75 but want a full length frame without forking over a grand. Plus, when it comes to guns, Israel hasn't gotten it wrong yet. I trust guns made by the desert people as much as I trust HK or Sig.

Monkeybear
February 1, 2006, 01:31 AM
I saw somewhere on this forum or on the firing line that the baby eagle can be found at academy for 469.99. you might want to check that out. not all store carry the same firearms, some do even carry handguns but call around.

LoadedDrum
February 1, 2006, 10:56 AM
Everybody I let shoot mine wants to get one of there own. That to me speaks for it self. The thing I like about the gun other than its insane accuracy for something so cheap, is the low bore axis compared to other popular guns like SIG's, XD's, and HK's. Between this and the mass, it makes follow up shots so much faster.

atblis
February 1, 2006, 11:31 AM
The Galil wasn't such a hit (Not a bad gun though).

The baby eagle isn't actually an Israeli gun. A good portion of it is actually made in Italy (by Tanfoglio). I am not sure the Israelis make any of it (They might do some finishing work). FWIW the Israelis no longer use it. They've since moved on to SIG and Glock. If you like the BE, then you'll probably like the Witness. They can be had for very cheap ~$300.

The BE is still on my wish list. When I find one at a price I like, I'll probably buy it.

If you want a full length frame then a CZ75 SP01 is worth a look. I just bought one for $450 NIB.

http://www.filebox.vt.edu/users/atblis/sp01.jpg

rde
February 1, 2006, 01:06 PM
I have 3 all steel models. No failures of any kind. All are very accurate...probably the most mechanically accurate models (of many) that I own. Heavy weight reduces recoil significantly making them very pleasant to shoot, practice, develop good shooting skills. That weight can be a negative point for people that want something lighter and more comfortable to carry concealed though that is not an issue for me. If I start anticipating recoil and or flinching with something else I switch over to something heavier (such as the Baby Eagle's) to get back under contol. I like them and recommend the 9mm all steel models without hesitation.

ezypikns
February 1, 2006, 10:56 PM
Excellent pistol. Accurate right out of the box. It's a heavy all steel weapon. Very stable. I would look at the EAA Witness pistols though. It seems that I read that Tanfoglio (EAA manufacturer) actually makes the Baby Eagle pistols in Italy, but then ships them to IMI (Israel Military Industries) for final assembly and fitting. I may be wrong about this. Do your own investigation.
The comment has been made that the Baby Eagle is a more refined (better fitted) pistol than the EAA pistols, but the Baby Eagle sells for over 500.00. CDNN has full sized steel EAA Witness pistols for as little as 249.00.

Check it out.

www.cdnninvestments.com

atblis
February 1, 2006, 11:22 PM
from CDNN. They have the polymer left (for good reason).

D-Man
February 2, 2006, 02:31 PM
I appreciate all of the great follow-up regarding the Baby Eagle.

The full-length 9MM model should be at the shop by Saturday for me to look at, and determine if it's what I want.

But another potential choice popped up today at the shop - the Beretta PX4.

Comparing them against eachother in look/feel, they both seem great to me. The Eagle is a bit larger and heavier, but that's not a major concern for me. The purpose of the gun is for the range, so the weight/length of the Eagle would be an advantage, but the PX4 isn't that much lighter, and should be accurate enough for me.

Pricewise, they are pretty much even, and come with the same amount accessories too.

So, why would you pick one over the other?

Monkeybear
February 2, 2006, 02:51 PM
I have had almost the exact same delima as you. The only reason I would lean twords the Beagle would be that the Beretta PX4 is a new and unproven design. We will all know how good the PX4 is in a year or two.

GoLambo
February 2, 2006, 08:02 PM
I've owned two (first one was stolen :( ) Jericho/Baby Eagle handguns, put over 2000 rounds downrange with no cleaning at all, zero malfuctions. I think that says enough right there. Egronomics are another factor however, and thats going to be the real selling point. Most people like frame safties, I personaly dont use safties so the slide mounted ambi decocker is all I need, and the fact that im left handed makes this the obvious choice for me. The grip is slightly different from the CZ-75, so if that's what it comes down to thats where id see which you prefer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts on Baby Eagle 9MM Wanted" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!