Rebarreling a Carcano

PDA

.45Guy
January 31, 2006, 06:02 PM
I'm currently looking to convert my Carcano to 7.62x39. However my usual smith won't touch this project with a ten foot pole:( Does anyone know of a brave soul willing to take this project on? All it should take is a rebareling, case head diameter is pretty much the same.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rebarreling a Carcano" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mete
January 31, 2006, 06:15 PM
He won't do it for good reason - the Carcano is designed for 38,000 psi max pressure , the 7.2x39 is higher than that!!

.45Guy
January 31, 2006, 07:22 PM
There is a difference in the working pressure of a crtridge, and the max tolerances of an action. Although I always like to hear from the Carcano's are worthless crap camp:)

Sunray
February 1, 2006, 03:46 AM
Even if it isn't worthless crap, you're looking at a custom barrel. Likely cost you more than the rifle is worth.
"...7.2x39 is higher than that..." Nope. It's 33,600 to 40,900 CUP, depending on the powder with a 125 grain bullet. 39,300 to 42,500 CUP, again depending on the power with a 150 grain bullet. There are 160 grain loads too.
The Carcano (an M38 right?) has been converted to use a reduced load 8mm Mauser. I doubt you'd have any pressure concerns converting to 7.62 x 39, but it wouldn't be cheap to do.

.45Guy
February 1, 2006, 04:16 AM
I have a line on the barrel, I just don't want to do it myself.

mete
February 1, 2006, 12:33 PM
According to my search, max pressure for the 7.62x39 is 45,000 [SAAMI] .

Jim K
February 1, 2006, 07:55 PM
Pressure is measured in pounds per square inch or copper units of pressure, which is not quite the same thing, but is the same idea.

But when dealing with a rifle, the pressure on the bolt face is not the overall pounds of pressure but the pounds times the number of square inches of the rear interior of the cartridge. IMHO, a conversion to 7.62x39 would be well within the capabilities of the Carcano action, but the conversion would cost far more than the rifle is worth. I don't know how well the 7.62x39 will work through the Carcano clip, as it is quite loose, and the bolt face and extractor would have to be altered. With the needed alterations, plus the cost of the barrel and the gunsmith work, you would end up with the most expensive Carcano around, and a mediocre rifle at best.

(FWIW, some Carcanos were rebarrelled by the Germans to use full power 7.9 military ammo, not reduced loads, as last ditch rifles; they held up OK, but it was like a proof load every shot.)

Jim

Cosmoline
February 1, 2006, 07:59 PM
You're better off getting one of those tack-driving CZ carbines.

.45Guy
February 2, 2006, 01:08 PM
You're better off getting one of those tack-driving CZ carbines.

I certainly would love a new CZ, however....... While I can't really justify the trouble or expense of this project rationally, I can say this is what I want to do. Seems like a good enough reason. Maybe I have odd tastes. Hell, I've always thought the V8 Gremlin was the epitome of "cool" car design as well;)

Essex County
February 2, 2006, 02:39 PM
I have a soft spot for the old Carcano. My cousin purchased one in the late '50's and did a fine job making an ineepensive sporter out of it. 9.95 from hunter's lodge. It took more than a few deer and woodchucks. I still have a couple I paid 15.00 the pair for. I used to reload and still have a set of C-H dies packed away somewhere...........But they aren't worth messin' with. Not really scopeable, split reciever ring, need the stripper clips, etc. Hang the old girl on the wall....as a hard working battle rifle she deserves it. Essex

.45Guy
February 2, 2006, 02:50 PM
I'm not really attempting to make a sporter per se. I have that 6.5 terni action laying around. I'm thinking fixed sights and original stock. Like I said I have odd tastes.

Sunray
February 2, 2006, 03:01 PM
"...what I want to do. Seems like a good enough reason...." Yep. "I want it..." is reason enough.

Carl N. Brown
February 2, 2006, 03:30 PM
The last I checked, the only cartridges that would work with the
Carcano magazine and clip system were 6.5 Carcano, 7.35 Carcano,
.35 Remington and 6.5 Mannlicher-Schoenauer IF the overall length
of the loaded cartridge was kept equal to the 6.5 Carcano.

As a single shot, however, there are more choices.

Simply put, though, it does not pay to rebarrel a Carcano.
If the gun is in original military configuration, it will eventually
be worth more as a military collectible than as a shooter anyway.

I own a 91/38 rifle and reload 6.5 and enjoy shooting it.

Jim K
February 3, 2006, 10:16 PM
Back in the 1950's, a young man I knew became friends with a teen age boy. This was before such a friendship automatically led to evil thoughts, and they really were just friends. The teenager was just getting into shooting and the older guy had several guns and let the kid shoot them.

Now the kid was the son of one of the top master engravers in the Washington, DC, area. So the engraver, who knew nothing about guns, suggested that he could do a little engraving on the friend's guns. The guy brought him a Model 1917 Enfield, and the old man put on a few scrolls that really looked good. He did the same with a .22 rifle. When he asked if the young man had any other guns, the guy brought in his only other gun. The old man knew that his son was really friends with the gun owner and decided to do a super job on the rifle.

It is the only fully engraved, gold and silver inlaid Carcano I have ever seen.

Jim

Onmilo
February 4, 2006, 03:23 PM
Don't waste your time asking a gunsmith to rechamber a Carcano.
All you will get out of the idea is a gunsmith who tells other gunsmiths humorous stories about you,,,,,,,,

.45Guy
February 4, 2006, 09:10 PM
Don't waste your time asking a gunsmith to rechamber a Carcano.
All you will get out of the idea is a gunsmith who tells other gunsmiths humorous stories about you,,,,,,,,

Whatever gents, sorry to see I wasted my time asking. And wouldn't said gunsmith be a complete jackass for passing up such an expensive proposistion?

db_tanker
February 4, 2006, 10:21 PM
someone already said that if its what you want to do then by God git-r-done.

And don't feel like the odd one out here, 45guy...

I have a #1 Mk3 Enfield that I am getting ready to have a 'smith recut the chamber in, cut and crown, and lastly drill and tap for a scope mount. He has looked over it and said no prob.

Why have all this done?

Well...because I want to. I think it has somthing to do with me always wanting to be DIFFRENT...

One thing you haven't been asked yet is that are you planning on reloading the x39 for that rifle or plan on shooting off the shelf ammo?

Onmilo
February 4, 2006, 10:25 PM
Whatever gents, sorry to see I wasted my time asking. And wouldn't said gunsmith be a complete jackass for passing up such an expensive proposistion?

No, the gunsmith would be a complete jackass for accepting the job, doing the work, overcharging the customer, and returning a potentially unsafe firearm back to the owner.
Common sense overules greed in the eyes of a professional.

backbencher
February 4, 2006, 11:13 PM
.45 Guy,

Behind you all the way - this thread was worth it just for Jim Keenan's story about the inlaid Carcano. I laughed 'til I cried. That one should be in the annual Gun Digest Art of the Engraver pages.

"Lit'l" (6'+) brother says this conversion used to be not unheard of for this action, wonders why to do so now that ammo's gone to $8/box? Perhaps the cheapest way would be to use a chamber adapter?

http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

Only question is actual bore vs. bullet diameter, 7.35 is kinda narrow for .311 bullets, you'll have to make that decision.

Gig 'em,

backbencher

PS - my mistake, you said you had the 6.5 & a source for the bbl. Chamber adapters don't magicly squeeze 7.62 down to 6.5, but boy, we'd have all kinds of fun if they did!

.45Guy
February 5, 2006, 01:30 AM
No, the gunsmith would be a complete jackass for accepting the job, doing the work, overcharging the customer, and returning a potentially unsafe firearm back to the owner.
Common sense overules greed in the eyes of a professional.

Potentially dangerous, I laugh everytime I hear that. Of course in the same breath you would no doubt laud the strength of an Ishapore .308. But like I said, if a smith is some sort of commie that doesn't believe in turning a profit, I certainly feel no loss for him not taking my money.

gringobaba
February 5, 2006, 01:54 AM
But like I said, if a smith is some sort of commie that doesn't believe in turning a profit, I certainly feel no loss for him not taking my money.

.45 Guy:

You might try talking to Mark Skaggs (http://www.skaggsgunsmithing.com/) in Oregon. I've never used him, but he seems from things he's said like he builds what the customer wants.

Sounds like you're planning to use a new barrel? In that case, as long as you use an appropriate diameter - some people get .308 to work, but .311 is probably better - you should be fine as far as firing goes, but feeding would be an open question. While the case head diameter on 7.62x39 should be close enough to the 6.5 and 7.35 Carcano rounds, they're all about .44"-.45", the 7.62x39 is a lot shorter and has a lot more case taper, so who knows how it will feed. Also, as someone else mentioned, ammo cost may be a concern given the short supply of 7.62x39, but let's hope that's temporary.

As to whether or not you should do it, I vote yes, but only if you can afford to take the loss if it turns out less cool than you thought it would be when you planned it.

Jim K
February 6, 2006, 11:30 PM
.45guy,

If you find a gunsmith who will take on that job, don't be offended if he asks for a big deposit. Over the years, I did several of those "off the wall" jobs and after I put time and money in the job, the customers told me they had lost enthusiasm for the idea and that I could keep the gun for my trouble. Since in your case the gun would be about worthless, I would expect the gunsmith to ask for close to 100% up front.

Jim

.45Guy
February 7, 2006, 12:19 AM
Problem solved, I found a gentleman on Gunboards that is selling one.

Jim K
February 7, 2006, 02:02 PM
Good for you. (I wonder why he is selling it?)

Jim

.45Guy
February 7, 2006, 02:39 PM
I suppose because he's getting on in years and liquidating his collection.

Onmilo
February 8, 2006, 09:42 AM
I didn't say potentially dangerous, I said potentially unsafe.
Why would I laud an Ishapore .308 rifle?
I have heard of no issues in the mettallurgy of that action.
You are asking people about the feasability of converting a rifle made anywhere up to fifty years prior to the Ishapore to a caliber it was never intended to be and then you are getting angry and insulted when a working gunsmith tells you it is an idiotic idea.

Mister, I spent six years in the service, ( United States Army) commited to preventing anything 'commie' from ever coming onto these shores, I'll feel no loss not taking your money either.

.45Guy
February 9, 2006, 05:46 PM
No, I'm not getting offended or angry. I was merely posting for information on a conversion that has been done quite a bit. However all I recieved in reply were opinions on the action based on personal prejudice, which aren't exacly helpful. But on the same tangent, would you give the same advice to the rebarreling of a Gewer 98 action? I've seen quite a few produced well over 90 years ago in calibers they certainly weren't originally chambered in. And yes, the Ishapore is newer, and was "originally chambered" in .308. But the fact remains that the Lee action is weak, and you're telling me Indian metallurgy is superior to that of the Italians, who consequently were paying royalties to the Czechs. So again, are all those VZ-24's out there constructed of inferior steel? Anyway, I don't want to start a pi##ing contest here, but I also spent six years in the service. Four years in the Marine Corps, and two in the Army. This thread has now run it's course. Mods, please delete.

.45Guy
February 9, 2006, 05:58 PM
Good for you. (I wonder why he is selling it?)

Jim

BTW, here's the rest of the collection he just parted with:
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/uploaded/Arditi/20062723129_CarcanoRifles.jpg

Story
July 30, 2007, 04:15 PM
.45Guy,
How did your conversion work out?

For the rest,
7.35 Carcanos were rechambered to 7.62x39 when the Italian rounds were completely unavailable. During WWII the Australians also converted some captured Carcanos to .303 British, for use by the Free Dutch. The .303 British has the same profile, albeit longer by 17mm, as the 7.62x39.

yhtomit
July 30, 2007, 05:05 PM
.45Guy: Yes, how did the rifle turn out for you?

Also, what a collection -- must have taken a long time to assemble. And is that a rifle-shaped lamp-stand, or is it just leaning against a conventional lamp-pole?

timothy

Carl N. Brown
August 7, 2007, 02:10 PM
rifle shaped lamp stand
I recall decades ago that some outfit actually did make
and sell lampstands made out of old military rifles.

By the way, I have heard that the Carcano can be
rebarreled or rechambered to just a few cartridges
and still use the clip-fed magazine un altered:
6.5x52 Carcano
7.35x52 Carcano
6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schonauer (sp)
.35 Remington
Carcano actions have been used to make single shot
bolt actions in a number of medium centerfire calibers.

Carcanos made at Terni arsenal under Beretta control
are actual fairly well made guns.

Shortly after acquiring my first Carcano, I acquired
a Lee Loader kit and prefer to load my own.

Carl N. Brown
August 7, 2007, 02:14 PM
.... 7.35 Carcanos were rechambered to 7.62x39 ....
7.35 Carcano is about .300" whereas most sources say
7.62x39mm rounds are loaded with .310" bullets. Ouch!
Tight fit.

lathedog
August 9, 2007, 08:15 PM
I like the idea in general although would also have concern over the pressure issue. I have had this caliber change bug many times and end up buying Lee dies in the original caliber and reloading. A box or two is plenty to shoot in a milsurp bolter and should last for many reloads if you stick to moderate power loads.

My recommendation would be to get a box of ammo from Graf's or wherever and give the rifle a whirl as is before commiting to an expensive project. I didn't see much detail in your original post as to whether you have shot it before, etc. You should get a feel for the rifle's feel from this.

Try a search at gunboards.com on the carcano forum for rebarreling projects. I have read several on there. Some guys used the single stack WASR mags in a detatchable mag conversion as well. Intriguing. I think the best way this would all work would be on a gun that Bubba already got to, saving good original condition rifles for the collectors. I'm not extreme on that; it's just a general inclination on my part.

Carl N. Brown
August 27, 2007, 05:39 PM
Apparently you can use a .303 barrel to make a 7.62x39 barrel for the
Carcano; the front of the .303 brit chamber matches the 7.62x39
cartridge, just shorten to fit.

45Guy later posted this:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=200776

So we have revived a thread that was re-threaded.

the gunboard link on the subject of 7.62x39 Carcano conversion is:
http://forums.gunboards.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=214330

TEDDY
August 28, 2007, 07:17 PM
there was a magazine article on carcanos in which it stated best check steel was used in carcano.I have a 6.5 carcano.and no I am not afraid to shoot it
conventional wisdom is not always right.check the 6.5 jap recambered for 30/06 with out rerifling shoot 7 deer but kicked.turned out it was stronger than any rifle made.the 7.62x39 would be fine. --:uhoh:--:confused:

Clark
August 28, 2007, 07:19 PM
The guy that owns this website is an engineer, Andy, who has experimented on Carcanos.
IIRC, he thinks they are strong.
http://www.8x63swedish.pridham.ca/load_data.html

SKSs are not strong, and the firing pin blows out of them.

OK, I found him.
Here is Andy talking about converting a Carcano to 7.62x39mm:
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132310&page=3&highlight=carcano

.45Guy
October 6, 2007, 07:54 PM
Wow, I never noticed the relatively recent posts to this thread. Here are some older pictures. 1,000+ rounds downrange and I'm yet to have her KB.:neener: She's everything I hoped for and a tad more.:D
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/aguy123/100yd1.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/aguy123/100yd13.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/aguy123/100yd16.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/aguy123/100yd14.jpg

brasskeeper
October 6, 2007, 08:36 PM
Awesome! glad to finaly see something positive come from a carcano.

.45Guy
October 6, 2007, 08:59 PM
Eh, I look at it this way. Carcanos flooded the market 40+ years ago much as Mosins are today. But due to the prejudices of the masses prices are still on par. As a Carcano fancier, I'm pretty dang pleased.

Big Az Al
October 6, 2007, 11:13 PM
Like he says you can do almost anything to a firearm as long as it is not unsafe but, you might ask why.

That said do you have the barrel, I have access to a 7.62X39 reamer.

PM me we talk

phishisgroovin
February 22, 2009, 04:01 PM
giving the pressures on the bolts and recievers, how would one fair if rebarreled to a smaller caliber as the 25-06?
they arent much bigger or smaller than the 6.5mm?

rcmodel
February 22, 2009, 04:18 PM
The 25-06 has a different case-head size which would be difficult to adopt the clips too make it feed.

The Carcano action was rated by McFarland to safely handle 37,750 PSI.
De Haas says 38,000, but that they can probably safely handle 40,000 - 45,000 safely.

The 25-06 is loaded to 63,000 PSI.

Bore size of the 6.5 Carcano is supposed to be .256", with .268" grooves.

rc

phishisgroovin
February 22, 2009, 04:42 PM
whic round would securely fit the reciever/bolt and safely and accurately shoot in a smaller coyote caliber?
Even a bull barrel would be excellent!

rcmodel
February 22, 2009, 05:15 PM
Not to distract from .45Guy's most excellent work & shooting.

But there are any number of mil-sup rifles & actions better suited to conversion to a long-range coyote rifle.

The Carcano's split-bridge receiver makes mounting a scope difficult & awkward.
And there are no good after-market triggers or safety's made for them.

The goofy case-head size of the cartridge pretty much limits it to the original caliber, or the 7.62x39, if you want to be able to use the enblock clips for repeat shots.

Any other caliber more suitable for coyotes is running to much pressure for the action to safely handle.

The money spent on converting one would be better spent on reloading equipment for the 6.5 Carcano round.

You can load a .264", 100 grain varmint bullet to 2,500 FPS safely, and it would be a good coyote load to the effective range of the iron sights.

rc

.45Guy
February 22, 2009, 05:20 PM
I never expected to see this one come back from the dead. BTW, I wish I had that Carcano back. Or the ones my ex pawned for that matter. *SIGH*

Carl N. Brown
February 23, 2009, 05:05 PM
Mannlicher Carcano.

1911Tuner
February 23, 2009, 05:21 PM
Unable to provide any helpful information, but wanted to comment that I've always thought that a light, handy bolt rifle chambered for the Russian short .30 was a neat idea.

Maybe something on the lines of the Ruger .44 Magnum action, with an 18-inch barrel and the rotary magazine giving the shooter the ability to carry spares for a quick reload.

Keep the empty weight at around 5 pounds...add a low-powdered scope, or maybe even a Scout setup. I think it'd go.

Nice idea with the Carcano. Hang the cost vs the rifle's value. Let us know if you can bring it together.

.45Guy
February 23, 2009, 11:52 PM
Tuner, mine did come together. The amazing tale can be seen here: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=200776

Maybe if things ever start improving I can do something with the Beretta action I have collecting dust.

anchorman
October 4, 2010, 11:25 PM
so I am going to try this too. I am getting an SKS barrel with no gas porting done yet and my friend and I are going to thread it to go into this bubba'd carcano I just picked up. if the barrel is too narow to thread, I will braze or thread a bushing onto it and thread that into the action. somehow or another me and a lathe are going to make this happen.

the 7.62x39 carcano, however, seems a proven deal, just need to finish acquiring all the bits and pieces to make it happen. the cool thing is that you could load some special extra long bullets for subsonic in the 7.62x39 case and drop them into the carcano, which has about .75" extra space in this action over a standard loading. this maybe is sheer foolishness and a waste of time, but regardless it ought to be fun.

hopefully I will get everything soon and have the time to get started.

one thing I am not sure about his headspace gages for this caliber. are there any differences between the actual 7.62x39 that the russians spec and what we spec for this caliber here? I know in the past there has been a lot of misinformation about bullet sizes, but wasn't sure if there is any conflict about case size/shape between the east-bloc specs and ours. also, is there anywhere you would recommend where I can get headspace gages for this cartridge that are good *and* inexpensive?

.45Guy
November 11, 2010, 04:20 PM
Let me know how it comes together! If you ever decide to get rid of it you can have the pick of my collection in trade!

anchorman
November 11, 2010, 05:50 PM
finally got all my goodies here, just need to find the time to make it. I haven't worked out yet how I am going to feed this little beast. I don't like the mannlicher clips, want something with a removable magazine. looking at finding a 10 round ak or better yet, VZ-58 magazine for this. I will probably adapt it to the vz-58 mags I already have and then go from there about getting a smaller one. have to figure out how this whole feed thing works, since apparently on the carcano, it does not work like normal bolt guns. you can't just put one in the chamber and close the bolt or you end up with broken extractors, or so I was told.

.45Guy
November 21, 2010, 01:04 PM
There is enough play for the extractor to snap over a chambered round with the Carcano. If you're dead set on a magazine conversion I'd stick to the Romanian single stacks to keep things as easy as possible. If you'd like I can scan and send the machinists drawings so you can get the breeching correct.

anchorman
November 21, 2010, 02:05 PM
yes please. drawings are always welcome. send me a pm for my email if it is too hard to post them here.

anchorman
May 14, 2012, 10:29 PM
But the feed is finally done. Last weekend, a friend oversaw my novice machining skills and helped me figure out how to accurately hold the barrel for threading.

I had a cheap chrome lined press fit sks barrel that was already chambered. After learning how to make receiver and barrel wrenches, I managed to get the old barrel out of the receiver. I used some of my Ed's red gun cleaning oil/solvent as penetrating oil, which seemed to help. Bunch.

I cut the barrel off and left enough of a stub so that I could grab it with a barrel wrench and tighten the stub back into the receiver. This was the threaded with a 3/4x16 tap, using the lathe to hold the work and the tail stock to center the tap from behind. Next cut threads onto the barrel using the lathe. If you have never done this it is surprisingly satisfying. Made a locking nut out of some 4140 (or maybe it is 4130???) steel bar stock that I had laying around, again using the lathe to line everything up. The barrel was a bit of a tight fit in the receiver stub and the lock nut, so the next day I set it up again and managed with no oversight to pick up the threads and cut them just a tiny bit smaller. From there everything went together like a charm. The locking nut is for two reasons, one the barrel is not big enough to have a shoulder to stop on, and two, it allows it to be easily headspaced.

I ended up head spacing by taking the firing pin out of the bolt and using live rounds to check. I did it up so that the bolt closed snuggly. Then tried instead of wolf steel with some MFS brass that I bought a number of years ago. This stuff was really tight, so I backed it off just enough that the bolt was able to be opened without using a lot of force. I read that the SAAMI specs for the round are not the same as the original Russian nor the CIP chamber specs, so I decided to save my money on buying gauges that would give me false readings anyway. I doubt I'll ever use any ammo other than the Russian steel cased or the MFS brass, but if I do, I can always adjust a bit if it is still too tight. Since its not an auto loader, I'm not worried about it getting hot or the chamber getting dirty and causing jams...

Today I went out in the country to my friend's farm where he had a good backstop, and strapped the thing to a table. Got a long piece of string and hid behind a tree for the first round. Wasn't really worried, but better safe than dead. The bolt turned beautifully, and the extracted case looked just fine, as did the bolt and the rest of the rifle. I put a second round in and shouldered it this time... Almost no felt recoil, not half as hard as a 6.5 carcano round out of a cavalry carbine. It might have been because I was so excited to finally be firing off a gun that I built, even if I did build it from mostly existing parts. Now all I need are sights and/or a scope or red dot, maybe pretty up the stock a bit. But not too much, since I'd it's too nice I probably won't take it out and use it.

Next up I want to get a 9mm bbl and chamber with a 7.62 reamer. I have a couple more of these carcani that I can work with, and want to see if I can fire form and then reload as 9x39.

Jim Watson
May 15, 2012, 12:47 AM
Glad it worked for you. Got pictures?

People come up with a lot of interesting ideas on the Internet but most of them would be way too expensive to pay a pro for. If you can't DIY, you should probably not get mixed up with such stuff.

anchorman
May 15, 2012, 02:42 AM
here's two pictures of the rebarreled action.

anchorman
May 15, 2012, 02:49 AM
and two more, of prep for the first test shot. I stood behind the tree at the right of the picture just in case, though I was pretty sure it wasn't going to blow up. my only concern was that it seemed the firing pin may stick out a little far, but it didn't rupture the primer. I'm going to compare to some other guns I have and show the fired cases to my friend who has been reloading for at least 40 years just to get a second opinion.

I don't know if it was just the excitement at shooting the first gun I put together, or if it was how it was, but it felt like less recoil than any of my 7.62x39 autoloaders, which weigh a bit more than this thing does.

I just need to decide on some sights and see how well it really shoots.

I probably would do a few things different if/when I make another one of these. The barrel retaining nut is maybe 3/4 inches longer than it needs to be, for one. but I'm more interested in function than looks on this thing at the moment.

anchorman
May 15, 2012, 02:53 AM
The choice of the hex shaped barrel retaining nut was because I happened to have about 400 linear feet of the stuff on hand, and it is not mystery steel, unlike a lot of the other material I have laying around the shop. I was going to turn it round, but I couldn't be bothered to make a spanner wrench to use to tighten it.

anchorman
June 19, 2013, 12:13 AM
I finally got around to figuring out a rear sight for this thing. A friend picked up a williams peep sight for a .308 bolt action he had from way back. I've always shot better with peep sights than open, so I decided to research this route.

I ended up finding a number of the cheap on gun broker and flea bay, so not knowing exactly what I would need, I bought a few of them to try out. the first one I got was a FP (fool proof) sight of some model or another. it had a 70 stamped on the bottom, and the curvature of the sight base fit the front of the receiver almost perfectly with no additional fitting needed. I ended up having a bunch of 6-40 taps on hand, but no 6-48, which is what the sight came with. Brownell's had them for $2.50 or so each, so I got one each of taper, plug, and bottoming.

I used a carbide 1/8" bit to break the surface as the outside of these seems pretty tough. Followed up with the appropriate sized tap drill to actually do the hole. the hole towards the front of the receiver ring couldn't be done all the way through, so I was very happy to have the bottoming tap for that.

Now I have a rather handsome rear sight that has micrometer click adjustment of windage and elevation, all for $25 plus some tools that I got cheap and will surely use again.

for posterity's sake, the FP sight that was marked "krag" on the bottom had a very similar curvature and looked like it would work well with a bit of sanding.

I now am looking for an adequate front sight. most are too short, and the one I got from an AK is ridiculously tall. BUT, with the aperature disk I have installed, it was very easy to sight a target across the yard using the post on the AK sight and the peep that is now installed. I need something between 1" and 1-1/8" to mount to the front of the barrel (measured from the centerline). I'll probably end up having to make something, but given that the williams has full adjustments, it can be a relatively simple piece of metal, I would think.

if anyone has thoughts on scopes/mounts for these I'd be interested to see, though I think I'm gonna be very happy with this peep sight arrangement.

ApacheCoTodd
June 19, 2013, 12:43 AM
Problem solved, I found a gentleman on Gunboards that is selling one.
How does his feed? Single shot?

DaveyMG
June 21, 2013, 10:16 PM
I'd do it for ya. Price would be fair, as I'm fairly new to 'smithing (not new at all to machining) but it all depends on your geographical location. If you could pull the original carcano barrel, and got the 7.62 barrel already, you could mail them both to me, and I could make the 7.62 barrel to match the action by replicating the carcano barrel. Reaming the chamber will be the hard part without the action to apply gages to. And the action cannot easily be shipped. But if you lived within a couple hundred miles of me I'm sure we could make something work out. I'm in SW Idaho...

EDIT, wrote that after only seeing the first page. I see now that it is already a working prototype...

If you enjoyed reading about "Rebarreling a Carcano" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!