Small FTE problem with my Ruger 22/45

PDA

Capital Punishment
January 31, 2006, 07:52 PM
Hey folks,

Today while i was in the woods behind my house, i took a shot at a squirrel with my ruger 22/45 .22 handgun (i missed :rolleyes: ). After clearing the magazine, i went to eject the round in the chamber and it failed to eject it. I had to pull the bolt back again and it ejected on the second try. This is the second time this has happened to me.

Normally since its just a .22 it wouldnt concern me too much. However this is the gun that sits by my nightstand and goes with me when i venture out into the woods, lets my dog outside, etc. In other words its my self defense gun. (For those concerned, in a SHTF situation i would use this gun to fight to get to my .223 AR15 :p )

Its not an old gun at all and really doesnt have that many rounds through it. Any ideas on how to resolve this problem? Im concerned about the safety aspect of this FTE. The first time it ever happened i had 'cleared' the chamber (or at least i thought i did) and put it into storage. I went to go pull it back out some time later and checked the chamber as i usually do whenever i handle a gun, only to have a .22 bullet fly in my face. :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Small FTE problem with my Ruger 22/45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
January 31, 2006, 07:55 PM
May I suggest - get you a Volquartsen extractor. I had some extract issues with my 22/45 early on and this cured it.

The cut on the claw is just a shade sharper and maybe angle better too - it is perhaps one of the best tweaks to do IMO on that Ruger .22 series. I think you'll be well pleased. I bought two so as to keep a spare.

I forget link right now but it's a place selling all sorts of add-ons for .22's - do a search and I expect you'll hit lucky.

ktd
January 31, 2006, 08:00 PM
you could also try cleaning the extractor, breechface, and chamber face. It is very common for .22 cases to stick like that, especially when things are a little dirty. I have a friend who blew apart a matchbox car because he thought he cleared the chamber but did not actually look.

Capital Punishment
January 31, 2006, 08:02 PM
Thank you very much for the quick replies.

I took your advice and searched - looks like one of the local gun stores near me, 'On Target', can order one for me.

Since i had just cleaned and lubed the gun prior to this FTE, I guess i'll go ahead and buy this extractor. Thanks much.

Capital Punishment
January 31, 2006, 09:17 PM
Oh, forgot to mention;

Dont be an idiot like me. When you go to clear the chamber, dont forget to OBSERVE the chamber and make sure you actually ejected the round. :rolleyes:

strambo
January 31, 2006, 11:00 PM
Yes, a sharp claw extractor. The .22 rim is rounded, not sharp like centerfire pistol cartridges. The sharper extractor will help, a .22 however, will not ever be as reliable as a centerfire though IMHO. In addition to extraction issues, they seem to have more primer misfires too. Anybody know if one ammo brand is more reliable than others when it comes to primers?

osteodoc08
January 31, 2006, 11:20 PM
Yes, a sharp claw extractor. The .22 rim is rounded, not sharp like centerfire pistol cartridges. The sharper extractor will help, a .22 however, will not ever be as reliable as a centerfire though IMHO. In addition to extraction issues, they seem to have more primer misfires too. Anybody know if one ammo brand is more reliable than others when it comes to primers?

I've NEVER had a problem with CCI Mini-mags in any of my 22 firearms past and present.

wally
January 31, 2006, 11:26 PM
Might try a different brand of ammo. One of my three Ruger .22 pistols has ejection problems with Federal Champion, but not anything else I've tried. The others work fine with the Federal, but one of those only feeds Remington Golden Bullet when clean -- failure to return to battery become too common once its had a few hundred rounds thru it.

--wally.

Capital Punishment
February 1, 2006, 12:32 AM
Yea i forgot to mention what ammo i was using. Recently ive been trying to shoot up this big box of remington ammo ive had forever. I dont know how old it is exactly but its definitely not new. Its the remington stuff in the green and yellow boxes.

As a side note, i also have a walmart value pack brick of Federals - i never had a problem with them.

Do you think a big part of it might just be the old remington ammo?

P95Carry
February 1, 2006, 12:40 AM
For misfires yeah - probably that ammo - I too have had poor results from the same. Others have found it OK it seems, well if fresh perhaps.

Most of time my Fed bulk box stuff has been pretty fair - heck I have about 6,000 rounds in stock still!!

I do find tho when pin shooting with 22/45 - best results are using Fed Champion - the bulk stuff is not 100% tho OK in my Marlin 60.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/22-45_dot_s.jpg

CajunBass
February 1, 2006, 10:39 AM
Run some CCI Mini Mags through it and see if you still have the problem. CCI's are the best 22 ammo I've ever used in anything. My Ruger 22/45 will feed and eject anything I put in it, but my wife's Bersa Firestorm is 100% only with the CCI's. She shoots whatever at the range, but keeps the mags loaded with CCI's for "serious stuff."

OH25shooter
February 1, 2006, 10:51 AM
I agree. I'd try different ammo before you start dropping cash into every little part one could order for a 22/45. I always shoot the Federal 550 bulk box ammo you buy at Walmart. CCI mini-mags as well. I clean her after every range visit of 100-200 rounds. I can remember only one FTF. The 22/45 is a rough/tough little 22.

strambo
February 1, 2006, 08:16 PM
I'll try the CCI minimags. I usually shoot the Remington as well. No extraction problems, just occasional misfires. I dig that low scope mount P95, looks great.

If you enjoyed reading about "Small FTE problem with my Ruger 22/45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!