Kimber TLE II vs. Springfield PX9109L

PDA

OF
April 11, 2003, 08:55 PM
I've pretty much made my mind up at this point, but I'm not about to buy a gun without asking the peanut gallery for opinions. :)

The PX9109L is the 5" parkerized Loaded with Novak tritiums.

Feel free to throw out other options, but I need to keep the whole rig under a grand, and that has to include holster, 6 Wilson mags and 4 mag pouches.

- Gabe

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber TLE II vs. Springfield PX9109L" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
OF
April 11, 2003, 11:36 PM
(btt)

My God, they're speechless.

- Gabe

cratz2
April 11, 2003, 11:43 PM
Springfield man here...

Skunkabilly
April 12, 2003, 01:38 AM
Get a Glock.

I'd go for the Kimber for the grip checkering and aesthetics, and I'd go for a Springfield if it were absolutely mandatory it be a Series 70.

If i had to decide, I'd wait until the Kimbers start coming with external extractors then get the TLE. Then it would go off to Novak's for a new set of sights, reliability job and trigger job (maybe, but Kimbers have awesome triggers out of box).

10-Ring
April 12, 2003, 02:39 AM
I voted Springfield ;)

Cal4D4
April 12, 2003, 03:48 AM
Don't know about Springfields, but my son got the TLE II with Mepros I believe (out the door for about $850 in Kali) and has run about 500 rounds thru it in the last few weeks. Nice trigger, no bobbles and so very accurate.

NIB
April 12, 2003, 08:17 AM
I held a Custom II a few weeks ago, same as the TLE II minus the checkering and nite sights. I got to say it was pretty damn nice. I don't know what it was but it felt better than my SA TRP and I might be getting one soon. I had to send my TRP back to SA before I even fired the first shot.

Boats
April 12, 2003, 10:58 AM
It seems with every new iteration of Kimber, they get more non-standard. As one of the appeals to me of having a 1911 is the ability to detail strip it and do all of my own light gunsmithing or parts swapping, I will probably never own a Kimber.

Schwartz safety (which requires removal of the rear sight to detail strip the slide?), external extractor--the Kimbers are becoming "The 1911A1 For Dummies," i.e. if you don't want to be able to look under the hood very easily, go fo it, but otherwise there are much better choices for a purer 1911.

I have Colt's and Springfields. Kimber is off the menu and I have never even seen a Dan Wesson in the metal.

OF
April 12, 2003, 11:05 AM
Another factor is that I can get the TLE-II for $760 and the Springfield is only $600.

Right now I'm planning on the Springfield. The internal mechanics are superior, 30 lpi checkering is no big deal as I'd rather have Heinie's scallops and would get that done relatively soon. The Springfield has the tritiums, two mags and no Schwartz safety and a lifetime warranty (1 year for Kimber).

All the TLE-II has going for it in the plus column is the checkering and a rep for a better out-of-the-box trigger (but I also plan on a trigger job, and the $160 price difference facilitates that). Although something about the TLE is more pleasing to the eye (excepting the hideous stocks), but I can't figure out what it is.

And I can't wait Skunk :) , I'm selling my Glock 29 rig to make this rig happen.

- Gabe

Skunkabilly
April 12, 2003, 12:27 PM
The Springfield has the tritiums, two mags and no Schwartz safety and a lifetime warranty (1 year for Kimber).

I thought the TLEs came with nightsights, tho I prefer the Novaks on the Springy?

meathammer
April 12, 2003, 01:00 PM
Springfield

OF
April 12, 2003, 07:40 PM
You're right, Skunk. It does. My bad. I like the look of the rear sight on the TLE better, too. Still not enough to overcome the $160 price difference.

- Gabe

Skunkabilly
April 12, 2003, 11:36 PM
IMO, think of the $160 going towards the checkering...is it worth it to you? Personally, I like it, but then I prefer the SA Trijicon/Novak (if I'm not mistaken) sights better.

spacemanspiff
April 13, 2003, 06:41 AM
my TLE should be delivered to ffl on monday.

i ordered it from elliot smallarms in jefferson, la.

Elliots Smallarms
3008 Jefferson HWY
Jefferson LA 70121
(504)833-3140,

ask for David.

price: $699 + shipping.

PCRCCW
April 13, 2003, 11:06 AM
My absolute favorite no holes barred 1911 was a SA Loaded Champion....with 30 LPI Checkering on the front strap.......
They had a demo at a store that was just like described for around 700$....had some SA Custom Shop stuff done to it.....
Way nice.....
But I ran across a Kimber Custom 2 for better than a song.
Sometimes life throws good little curves at you.........I didnt duck.
Shoot well

OF
April 13, 2003, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the lead Spiff. Be sure and write up that TLE when you get it. If you get the TLE and I get the Springfield, we'll have the whole thing covered :)

- Gabe

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimber TLE II vs. Springfield PX9109L" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!