Quick AR question.

PDA

DevLcL
February 4, 2006, 02:18 AM
How hard is it to drop a bolt and carrier in an upper receiver? Also, how hard is it to put a standard 16" barrel, gas tube, etc. on an upper?

Just caught the black rifle disease.

Thanks,
Dev

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick AR question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MinMAN
February 4, 2006, 02:31 AM
Depending on if your going to use M4 handguards, or free float tube. Either way, you need a couple of vise pads, and a AR multi-tool/barrel tool. If your buying a new "drop-in" 16" barrel with the gas tube, and an entirely new bolt and carrier assembly. That's all I see in it. 1 hour job.

boing
February 4, 2006, 02:33 AM
Bolt and carrier should drop in no problem, assuming they and the barrel are of reputable manufacture and within tolerance for headspace. Not a bad idea to have headspace checked, regardless.

Barrel change requires a receiver block and a barrel nut wrench, both available from www.brownells.com. Moly grease for the barrel/upper threads is probably a good idea, too, if you plan on removing the barrel again in the future. And a small pin punch for the pin that retains the gas tube.

It's really simple.

DevLcL
February 4, 2006, 02:45 AM
Would I be better off just buying a complete upper?

Maybe I could use the experience tho :confused:

-Dev

MinMAN
February 4, 2006, 02:48 AM
Buy whole gun.:D

DevLcL
February 4, 2006, 02:56 AM
Buy whole gun.:D

Lol. Yes. Well, right now I have a complete lower, ready to accept an upper. :D

-Dev

MinMAN
February 4, 2006, 02:58 AM

-Dev

Oh.:banghead:

El Rojo
February 4, 2006, 05:42 AM
For your first build, just get a complete upper. I know this guy who is currently selling uppers in California. Check out his website. www.tenpercentfirearms.com/uppers.htm. :evil:

DevLcL
February 4, 2006, 04:52 PM
LOL... WES! Your not fooling anyone.

Here's the deal. I have about $250 to my name. Im not really sure how soon I will be getting more cash so I'm tempted to buy an upper reciever and bolt carrier and charging handle for about $210 @ del-ton. If you got something better going on please by all means let me know, I just don't have enough for a complete upper... I'm struggling here, lol.

-Dev

Bartholomew Roberts
February 4, 2006, 08:41 PM
It is easy enough to add a barrel if you have the right tools; if you don't have the right tools then you will need some punches, a barrel wrench, action block and vise at a minimum.

If you plan on building more than one AR or doing a fair amount of work, the investment in tools may be worth it. If you don't, then it is probably better from a financial and practical standpoint to buy a complete upper already assembled.

f4t9r
February 4, 2006, 08:48 PM
Would I be better off just buying a complete upper?

Maybe I could use the experience tho :confused:

-Dev
buy the complete upper you will get plenty of expierence shooting , cleaning , takin apart , ect......

DevLcL
February 4, 2006, 10:29 PM
Barrel change requires a receiver block and a barrel nut wrench, both available from www.brownells.com.

Is that the Hammer Drop Block or the Flipper Vise Block?

Nevermind I found it, its neither of those. lol

-Dev

Houndawg
February 5, 2006, 12:53 AM
Is that the Hammer Drop Block or the Flipper Vise Block?

Nevermind I found it, its neither of those. lol

-Dev

Receiver blocks (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=22385&title=AR-15%2fM16+UPPER+%26+LOWER+RECEIVER+BLOCKS)

mrmeval
February 5, 2006, 02:42 AM
300+S&H it's a 16" C.A.R.

http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=UCE160&storeid=1&image=u16carpre.gif

-Dev

backbencher
February 5, 2006, 04:32 AM
Devlcl,

You don't need no stinkin' gas tube or forward grips - that costs money! Get you a used bbl - I just got a used 24" HBAR off AR15.com for $45, you'll want a used upper & a used bolt as well. Plug the gas port under your FSB (Front Sight Block) or just take the FSB for now, & you have a straightpull bolt action. Pretend you're Swiss 'til you have money for the gas bits.

Gig 'em,

backbencher

DevLcL
February 7, 2006, 12:15 AM
Is there somewhere online that I can find an instruction manual for putting on a barrel? Maybe a .pdf or something?

Thanks,
Dev

boing
February 7, 2006, 01:02 AM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

DevLcL
February 7, 2006, 02:14 AM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Thats perfect... cheers!

Don't Tread On Me
February 7, 2006, 02:34 AM
How hard is it to drop a bolt and carrier in an upper receiver?

Piece of cake. Takes about 10 seconds if you're slow. General concensus says that this is OK so long as the barrel and bolt are relatively both new. If one or the other is well-worn, headspace issues *might* come into play, although rare.

Also, how hard is it to put a standard 16" barrel, gas tube, etc. on an upper?

It isn't hard, but that's a relative term. It takes at least 2 special tools, and little bit of caution and know-how. At the bare minimum, you'll need a special AR wrench for the barrel nut, and a vise block made for AR uppers. This should cost $50 or a little less for both. The other things needed would be a pin punch for the gas tube roll pin and some moly grease. Preferably the kind that can take extreme heat. Handguard tool is helpful, but not needed. I got one because getting the handguards off on some rifles can be a serious PITA.

If the barrel/bolt are new, do not worry about headspace. It isn't something you can control. Headspacing is done when the barrel is made. During that time, the barrel extension (the part where the bolt locks into) is adjusted for headspace onto the barrel. All of this is done in conjunction with the drilling of the gas hole so that they are aligned. The only time headspace might become an issue is when an old bolt is used from a different gun. This is because as the rifle is used, parts wear together. Kind of like how some barrels on pistols have wear marks in slightly different places compared to a different pistol of the exact same make/model. You cannot alter headspace yourself. It is a job for an equipped knowledgable gunsmith. Best you can do is check it, but it's pointless really. I don't think I've heard a single instance of someone building an AR and finding out the headspace is bad. The only things that can cause that are 1] the barrel was manufactured wrong, ie the barrel nut was never set right 2] the bolt is machined wrong.

Each is a major, major defect. Haven't seen it happen myself (yet)

DevLcL
February 8, 2006, 02:37 AM
Don't Tread On Me,

Thanks for the info, seems like I wouldn't have a hard time. Now I just need to the soldi. :evil:

-Dev

If you enjoyed reading about "Quick AR question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!