*spits beer on keyboard* UK home defense

PDA

beerslurpy
February 4, 2006, 08:42 PM
This is awesome. Very gladiatorial. Saw it on a visit to DU to see why they were visiting our boards.
http://www.jamesmcadam.co.uk/portfolio_html/sb_table.html

http://www.jamesmcadam.co.uk/images%20_scenarios/sb-table-no-man.jpghttp://www.jamesmcadam.co.uk/images%20_scenarios/shield_club_stand.jpg
http://www.jamesmcadam.co.uk/images%20_scenarios/S_B_Table_in_use%5Bfw%5D.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "*spits beer on keyboard* UK home defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ElTacoGrande
February 4, 2006, 08:55 PM
The UK has a higher rate of violent crime than the US in all categories except murder, apparently.

sm
February 4, 2006, 09:18 PM
Putting aside the politics...

I notice some things :

-Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

-Mindset, Willingness to Survive, Determination...Training with what one has.

Not a new concept, the reality is throughout history folks , even now, are not afforded Firearms, or types of firearms, or other weapons.

I realize THR / TFL is Global, hey we have folks in various juridictions that just cannot have what others do.

I mean having a certain type of gun, ammo or training is great...then again here in the States we have folks that cannot have certain types of weapons, ammo, and they have to Improvise, Adapt, Overcome and get trained up with what they can.

Same in other Countries.

Baseball bat in a college dorm, beats nothing. Cue stick in a classroom used as a pointer or to adjust overhead projection works...7 iron or putter in a daycare for the adults while the kiddies play with plastic ones at play...

Neat idea, Reminds me of the "Fish Whacker" that was popular a few years back...noticed a few adults had these handy...still do.

No, not everyone can strap on a AR15 and Glock sidearm and attend college, I do not think a AR15 would "fly" as being a pointer or projection adjusting tool.

Canes seem universally accepted tho'. I don't need a cane...I use one tho'

Some folks cannot have repeating shotguns in their countries, single or two bbl works...

Putting aside the Politics, neat idea.

s

Don Gwinn
February 4, 2006, 09:22 PM
People will do whatever they can, apparently.

Byron Quick
February 4, 2006, 09:26 PM
I'm certainly glad to live in a place saner than that.

CAnnoneer
February 4, 2006, 09:39 PM
What is next? Spork-Fu?

Old Dog
February 4, 2006, 09:44 PM
Just remember ... never bring only a bedside table to a gunfight.

geekWithA.45
February 4, 2006, 09:45 PM
I'm actually concerned that the socket on the arm side of the shield would serve as a fulcrum to bruise or break the defender's arm.

I'm sorta doubting that they field tested their gear under realistic conditions.

Nonetheless, I give them BIG POINTS for their big spirit.

The world needs more guys willing to defend their homes, even if only with a cudgel and a garbage can lid shield.

Car Knocker
February 4, 2006, 09:46 PM
Here's a previous thread on this subject:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=170896

Standing Wolf
February 4, 2006, 09:47 PM
I'm sure it beats dialling 999. Personally, I think it makes more sense to click 44 or 357.

Mad Chemist
February 4, 2006, 10:08 PM
I'm actually concerned that the socket on the arm side of the shield would serve as a fulcrum to bruise or break the defender's arm.

I'm sorta doubting that they field tested their gear under realistic conditions.

Nonetheless, I give them BIG POINTS for their big spirit.

The world needs more guys willing to defend their homes, even if only with a cudgel and a garbage can lid shield.

The 1st pic seems to be the prototype. Here's a newer model.

I want one.:evil:

JH

Gatman
February 4, 2006, 10:19 PM
I feel that even IL is somewhat saner than that. But I see a lot of tableleg related deaths in Chicago soon enough...

Kim
February 4, 2006, 10:53 PM
Yes but do you need a license,registration,safe storage and governmental inspection. Do you have to show the great governement a need? Calling it a beer can and remote control table probably would not pass the test in that free country. They will probable tax it at about 200.00 pounds a year. :neener:

Lucky
February 5, 2006, 04:07 AM
Yes, it's creative, and you could complement the inventors on their spirit of resistance.

But the reality is that this 'table', like anything else, will simply be banned. A stroke of the pen, and then 5 or 10 years more research will come up with some other ingenious defence solution, which will be promply banned.

It's not the particular items that are banned that is the problem, it is the mechanism that allows items to be banned. Everywhere, that is the problem.

Spiggy
February 5, 2006, 04:10 AM
what a waste of beer...

now I wonder what they can do with a chair *imagines*

Iain
February 5, 2006, 08:13 AM
Hmmm. Inventive but unnecessary. Gray Nicholls sell a particularly British anti-burglar implement. Also useful for driving fours through extra cover off the leg spinner.

.22-250
February 5, 2006, 09:25 AM
The UK has a higher rate of violent crime than the US in all categories except murder, apparently.

more than twice the rate actually ElTacoGrande and that`s just for England and Wales. In 2004/05 there were 1,165 offences using a firearm in Scotland, in England and Wales the figure is 11,160 and that excludes air weapons, 4,500 of those offences involves handguns. A British Crime Survey carried out in 2001 put the number of rapes of females at a minimum 47,000.

I`ve been compiling these figures as i`ve been typing this post, this country is a s**t-hole. :(

TABLE 1: NOTIFIABLE FIREARMS OFFENCES BY CATEGORY OF FIREARM, 1996-1998/99

All weapons
excluding air
All weapons weapons handguns
1996 13,876 6,063 3,347
1997 12,410 4,904 2,648
1997/98 12,805 4,903 2,636
1998/99 13,874 5,209 2,687

Source: Home Office Criminal Statistics, 1998 (Cm 4649).

So much for a handgun ban eh?
Nigel.

Kodiaz
February 5, 2006, 10:52 AM
Man Iraq might be safer than Britain:neener:

shermacman
February 5, 2006, 11:06 AM
Imagine if they would take that creativity and get out of their centuries old "I am a serf" mentality. Then they could repeal the gun legislation that forces them to come up with idiotic ideas like table shields.

gunsmith
February 5, 2006, 03:24 PM
for the criminal who can bring a lawsuit and claim now they can't "work" anymore. England has become worse then a clockwork orange.

progunner1957
February 5, 2006, 03:30 PM
The Washington Times
www.washingtontimes.com

As the maple leaf turns
By Arnold Beichman
Published February 1, 2006

Canada has just held a national election. A minority Conservative government has come to power. Prime Minister-designate, Stephen Harper, to be sworn in Feb. 6, will confront serious problems if he tries to fulfill campaign promises.
Before him lies an imposing task: coalition-building. However he is fortunate in that one problem will not weigh heavily on the new Canadian government: good relations with the U.S. Unlike his defeated anti-American Liberal Party predecessor, Paul Martin, who went out of his way to antagonize the White House, relations between the two countries will stabilize. However, Mr. Harper faces one big problem: the stagnant economy. Why?
Canada has "one of the highest tax rates on incremental investment in the world, which discourages the investment critical to improving productivity," according to the Fraser Institute, a leading Canadian policy institute. Its findings:
• Canada ranks 18th among 24 industrialized countries for average labor productivity growth over the last decade.
• Gross domestic product (GDP) per person has declined from 87.9 percent of that in the U.S. in 1985 to 84.7 in 2004.
• Average after-tax income per person has decreased from 80.4 percent of that in the U.S. to 66.9 percent in 2004.

But Canada has another problem the new government must address. It is little realized in the U.S. that, far from being a peaceful utopia, Canada has an extraordinary crime problem, according to the Second Amendment Foundation's Alan Gottlieb in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:
•Canada's overall crime rate is now 50 percent higher than that of the United States.
• In 2003, the violent crime rate in the U.S. was 475 per 100,000 people, in Canada 963 violent crimes per 100,000.
• Sexual assault in Canada per 100,000 people was more than double that of the U.S., 74 for Canada as opposed to 32.1 for the United States.
• The assault rate in Canada was more than twice that of the U.S.: 746 to America's 295.
"Moreover, this shift in crime rates," says Mr. Gottlieb, "between the two countries has occurred while dozens of U.S. states have adopted 'right-to-carry' and 'shall-issue' handgun laws. During the same period, Canada's gun laws have gotten more restrictive, with the national gun registry being implemented."
Crime will be a top item on the new government's agenda and perhaps Mr. Harper should consult New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg. But about the economy all the prime minister need do is to adopt the Fraser Institute recommendations:
•Reduce federal corporate income tax rate to 12 percent from 21 percent.
• Reduce provincial corporate income tax rate by 30 percent. (What we call "states" Canada calls "provinces.")
• Eliminate corporate capital taxes entirely at both levels of government.
The question then is this: Will Mr. Harper have the courage to press forward on such a program?

Arnold Beichman, a Hoover Institution research fellow, is a columnist for The Washington Times.

hksw
February 5, 2006, 08:41 PM
I gotta say I found that Viking table/shield-club pretty funny. If they would just put a loop on the base, you can use it as a breastplate or a sporran.

C. Rabbit
February 6, 2006, 01:24 AM
Pah! I've got a better setup at home (not at college unfortunately :barf: can't even have airsoft guns). A nice metal pipe and large wooden shield, thick enough to stop knives. Ah, the bounty of too much free time. :)

• In 2003, the violent crime rate in the U.S. was 475 per 100,000 people, in Canada 963 violent crimes per 100,000.
• Sexual assault in Canada per 100,000 people was more than double that of the U.S., 74 for Canada as opposed to 32.1 for the United States.
• The assault rate in Canada was more than twice that of the U.S.: 746 to America's 295.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, for Canadians) Canada records even what is classified as minor assault in their violent crime rates. The USA does not, only including aggravated assault, not minor/simple assault. Taking the minor assault out of Canada's rate (I think they make up 58%) would make the rates roughly even.

So while this isn't great refutation of Canada as a utopia, it does sort of demistify their perfect society.

CR

AZRickD
February 6, 2006, 01:54 AM
If that table and post were used against an unarmed burglar, it would be a chargeable offense since the Elite in GB would consider it a disproportionate use of force.

That it is advertised for the purpose would allow the prosecutor to use that to convince the court that the victim (no, the *other* victim) intended to use the table parts for ill.

Read Joyce Lee Malcolm's book:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0674016084.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Rick

iapetus
February 6, 2006, 04:43 PM
Imagine if they would take that creativity and get out of there centuries old "I am a serf" mentality. Then they could repeal the gun legislation that forces them to come up with idiotic ideas like table shields.

I'm not sure that we do have a "centuries old" serf mentality.

We used to be quite a rebellious lot, and our folk heroes included numerous outlaws (Robin Hood is the only one really remembered now, but there were others).

Many of the problems you are commenting on, and I am living under, seem to be quite a recent change. Someone in another thread suggested that after the Empire crumbled, the British government "colonised" its own country - I've been thinking that that could well be the case. (Attempts to avoid a repeat of, and fix the problems revealed by WWII probably also had a role).

Byron Quick
February 6, 2006, 04:54 PM
I don't think fixing problems revealed by WWII was one of the driving factors. After all, one of the big problems revealed by WWII was that Britain didn't have enough firearms.

Mk VII
February 7, 2006, 01:45 PM
the 'big problem' was that two world wars within a single generation separated by a depression had bankrupted the Treasury. We finished WW2 bankrupt, exhausted, and a pensioner of the United States.

shermacman
February 7, 2006, 02:33 PM
You mean that you, as a country, decided to become a pensioner of the US. Much as you, as a country, decided to leave yourselves dependent on the US for your military security.

Coronach
February 7, 2006, 08:48 PM
1.) All topics and posts must be related to firearms or civil liberties issues.
2.) Multiple user registrations are prohibited.
3.) As a family-friendly board, we ask that you keep your language clean. If you wouldn't say it in front of your dear old Grandma, you probably don't want to say it here.
4.) Spamming, trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are prohibited. You can disagree with other members, even vehemently, but it must be done in a well-mannered form. Attack the argument, not the arguer.
5.) We cannot provide a comprehensive list of "Things Not To Say".Posts that are contrary to the above policies, or to the mission of The High Road, may be edited or deleted at our sole discretion. Membership may be revoked if such a step is deemed necessary by us. We're a private venture enabled by an all-volunteer staff. Please treat this venue as a polite discussion in a friend's home and respect the wishes of the hosts.We have noted that the civility of L&P has been plummeting of late. Correlated with this is yet another resurgence of political posts that do not meet the criteria as outlined in the rules of conduct. Just because a post is 'political' does not mean it belongs here. It must address firearms issues or civil liberties issues directly. "Civil liberties are in danger because Bush lied, people died!" and "we will lose all of our guns becuase Hillary has anger issues!" will not cut it. Post directly, not obliquely, about how a given topic has an impact on RKBA or civil liberties.

Thank you,

Staff at THR

If you enjoyed reading about "*spits beer on keyboard* UK home defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!