AG opinion on CCW in VA colleges

PDA

Slateman
February 5, 2006, 12:45 AM
and here is the linkage (http://www.vaag.com/media%20center/Opinions/2006opns/05-078.htm)

I'm a student at GMU and I have a Concealed Handgun Permit. I'm frankly, kind of confused by the opinion.

Ok, so according to the conclusion, because I'm actually enrolled at GMU, I can't carry. Whereas, if I dropped out on Monday morning, I could carry . . . .? That seems . . . . odd to me.
Furthermore, if I go to another school, say my exgirlfriend's university, Christopher Newport Universtiy (incidentally, she IMed me a couple weeks ago wondering why I hadn't come down to visit and "talk" with her. ***!?!?!), than I can carry all I want?

One other thing, does this actually count as law? Would it be a defense in court, say if I were arrested or something? What about if I'm carrying at another VA school?

If you enjoyed reading about "AG opinion on CCW in VA colleges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WvaBill
February 5, 2006, 12:56 AM
I'll print that for my next trip to Harrisonburg.

Thanks.

One other thing, does this actually count as law? Would it be a defense in court, say if I were arrested or something?

Maybe in court, but probably won't help keep you in school.

Standing Wolf
February 5, 2006, 01:14 AM
I guess college kids' lives are of very limited value in Virginia.

GruntII
February 5, 2006, 02:43 AM
The opinion basically sezs the Universities have the ability to regulate behavior of employees and students but not over ride the right of a parent for instance who is legally licensed to carry . I dont' believe you could be charged with ccw if you had a license and were an employee , most likely you would be fired or disciplined. Same with a student you enter into a contract when you go to the school to follow their Charlie Sierra regulations and rules to go to their schools. That's way you can't carry at your school but can at another seperate school. Your status decides how the law views your relationship.

If you enjoyed reading about "AG opinion on CCW in VA colleges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!