Burris Tactical a good scope for the money?

PDA

Jeff
February 5, 2006, 01:39 AM
I plan on purchasing a Rem 700 LTR .308 within the next 6 months (after I have the money saved up :rolleyes: ). I would like a really rugged piece of glass to sit on top of it. I was looking at the Burris Tactical line of scopes, because Burris has a pretty good reputation and they seem to be pretty ruggedly built. Does anyone have any experience with this scope? Is this scope worth $600+?

I will be using the rifle for hunting and target shooting (200+ yrds). What would be some other good choices for this rifle for my needs, in the $400-$600 range? Whatever my choice, it will be my first ever high-quality scope.

If you enjoyed reading about "Burris Tactical a good scope for the money?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Father Knows Best
February 5, 2006, 08:56 AM
Burris scopes are excellent values. I have two -- an older Signature 3-9x and a newer (last year) Signature Select 4-16x 44mm. The latter scope has the lighted "ballistic plex" reticle, which I really like. I have it on my PTR-91.

hksw
February 5, 2006, 10:30 AM
I'd like to get one too (non-illuminated) to try out except they don't make then up to 20X, which I prefer.

Firehand
February 5, 2006, 02:35 PM
Got an old Burris 3x LER on my Savage Scout. Bought both used, and wouldn't trade either; the Burris is one of the best scopes I've ever used.

snuffy
February 5, 2006, 03:13 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=138054

Like this? But why limit it to 12 power? If BSA can go from 8 to 32, why can't burris go from say 4 to 20? I'd want to put something like that on my bushy AR-15, but do NOT want to be limited to 12X. I LIKE the idea of buying American built optics, cost is NOT a factor, I'll pay for quality!

iamkris
February 5, 2006, 03:26 PM
[url]
Like this? But why limit it to 12 power? If BSA can go from 8 to 32, why can't burris go from say 4 to 20?

I think you'll find that more isn't always better. I bought a Tasco Varmit 6x24x42 because it had "more" (sort of like Spinal Tap..."it goes to eleven") and rarely use it above 16 power. 24 it just gets too dark and image quality suffers.

Father Knows Best
February 5, 2006, 03:36 PM
But why limit it to 12 power? If BSA can go from 8 to 32, why can't burris go from say 4 to 20? I'd want to put something like that on my bushy AR-15, but do NOT want to be limited to 12X.

The limit isn't 12 power. Burris has variable power scopes up to 32 power. The key is the multiple. BSA makes 8-32x variable scopes (so does Burris). That's a range of 4x (32 is 4 times 8), which is pretty common these days. 4-20x would be a multiple of 5, which is pretty much unhead of. I have a 4-16x Burris, and I know they make 6-24x and 8-32x models, including some very nice 30mm tube models with side focus and other bells and whistles.

Here's a Burris Xtreme Tactical 6-24x 50mm objective, 30mm tube, side focus model: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=470551

The only variable power scope I know of with more than a 4x multiple range is an IOR Valdada tactical scope that is 2-12x (multiple of 6). That's a sweet scope, but it's also more than $1,000.

hksw
February 5, 2006, 09:25 PM
...Xtreme Tactical 6-24x...

But it's not here yet.

Oh, and 1" per click?! :confused: :mad:

kaferhaus
February 5, 2006, 09:58 PM
Don't buy anything with the name BSA on it. Their optics are total crap

Burris is a high quality operation.

If your on a budget, look at the weaver or sightron offerings.

Jeff
February 5, 2006, 10:18 PM
Excellent info, everyone. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Burris Tactical a good scope for the money?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!