A nice 9mm under $500

PDA

PlayboyPenguin
February 5, 2006, 03:29 AM
Is it possible to get a good quality nice looking 9mm for under $500 ??? I would love to hear suggestions if so....keep in mind I only like stainless construction and no plastic handles.

If you enjoyed reading about "A nice 9mm under $500" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
355sigfan
February 5, 2006, 03:31 AM
Get a used Glock. Tefner is more weather proof than stainless. In fact it will last far longer in salt water than a stainless pistol.
Pat

PlayboyPenguin
February 5, 2006, 03:39 AM
Get a used Glock. Tefner is more weather proof than stainless. In fact it will last far longer in salt water than a stainless pistol.
Pat

Oh, and I do not like Glocks. I do not like plastic guns.:o

Mulliga
February 5, 2006, 03:48 AM
Hmm. Berettas are pretty nice, but they'll run more like $600. There's always Ruger and S&W autoloaders, but I don't find those guns very attractive.

CDNN has some HK USPCs and used SIGs that might fit the bill.

duncan
February 5, 2006, 04:00 AM
Is it possible to get a good quality nice looking 9mm for under $500 ??? I would love to hear suggestions if so....keep in mind I only like stainless construction and no plastic handles.

Springfield Armory Ultra Compact 9mm 1911 in 9mm with cocobolo panels;)

sfhogman
February 5, 2006, 04:00 AM
Might I suggest a CZ75b? Polymer finish, steel gun and to my eye very good looking. They shoot well, have good ergonomics, and the quality is right there.

Jeff

Optical Serenity
February 5, 2006, 04:01 AM
an old generation used Sig would be my recommendation considering your requirements.

PlayboyPenguin
February 5, 2006, 04:03 AM
Springfield Armory Ultra Compact 9mm 1911 in 9mm with cocobolo panels;)

I have heard good things about these. Do you know what a new one would run?

American_Pit_Bull
February 5, 2006, 04:24 AM
Might want to take a look at the CPO SiG's.

Soybomb
February 5, 2006, 04:48 AM
Used s&w 3rd generation.

355sigfan
February 5, 2006, 04:53 AM
If you don't like Glocks take a look at the use police trade in sigs. But Glocks are the best there is in the sub custom 1911 price range.
Pat

coltrane679
February 5, 2006, 05:02 AM
With your requirements, the simple answer is a CZ-75, NIB. You'll be able to buy almost 1000 rounds of practice ammo, too, and still stay in your budget

Alex45ACP
February 5, 2006, 05:15 AM
+1 CZ 75B

tbeb
February 5, 2006, 09:34 AM
Last year I bought a new black polymer finish CZ75DAO with 1-15 rd. magazine and 1-10-rd. magazine for $320. I have fired 150 FMJ (one hundred 115 gr. and fifty 124 gr.) and 150 JHP (Speer 124 gr. +P) without a malfunction. Before purchasing I also shot a Glock 17 and a Beretta 92. I chose the CZ because it fit my hand the best and was the easiest for me to control in rapid fire. Note: I have medium sized hands and my finger is just long enough to reach the CZ's double action trigger.

If I wanted to spend more money, I would've went with a Glock 17C which has a ported barrel.

osteodoc08
February 5, 2006, 09:55 AM
Basically you have two very good choices

1. CZ
or
2. Sig

Both make excellent firearms and you should have no problem finding them. Personally, I'm pretty impressed with my Ruger P-89. It is a full sized auto that fits my hand pretty well and is exceptionally accurate.

JDGray
February 5, 2006, 11:09 AM
A stainless CZ75B! It may break the 500.00 mark.

wally
February 5, 2006, 12:08 PM
I think the choices under $500 in stainless without plastic frames is pretty limited unless he gets "lucky" with a used gun.

I doubt he's going to find a new stainless Springfield for under $500 unless its a plastic framed XD.

The Taurus Beretta 92 clones can generally be had in stainless for about $400 and come in 9mm or .40 S&W I lke these better than Beretta because they will do cocked and locked. Taurus has a 9mm version of the 945/940 series (I can't remember the number), but these are not too common or popular.

Somebody else has already mentioned the Rugers, so that's all I can think of right now unless he is including electroless nickel or hard chrome platings as "stainless" meaning he wants a silver colored gun. Choices improve but $500 is still a restriction, the CZ 75 is good for silver colored gun in this price range and has already been mentioned.

Not wanting plastic frames rules out many great guns in this price range.

--wally.

bearmgc
February 5, 2006, 12:13 PM
CZ75 or Springfield XD, great buys, reliable, each under $500. And they come in compact models, though the XD compact is smaller than the CZ compact.

bearmgc
February 5, 2006, 12:15 PM
OOPS, forgot you prefer stainless.

SouthpawShootr
February 5, 2006, 12:25 PM
Looks like maybe a S&W 5906 would fit the bill. Occasionally, I stumble upon these NIB, but not often and it's very irregular. CDNN, I think, has them (they're PD trades, I'm sure, but you pretty much can't wear them out). A Springfield would be nice, but a stainless 1911, compact or otherwise, is going to be outside your price range by at least $200.

BTW, CZ is now making the 75 in all stainless. I saw one at the last gunshow, but it's going to cost you. The one I saw was marked $500 and this guy normally has the best CZ prices that can be had.

After much searching, I found my Kahr K9 stainless for $500 NIB with night sights. This was a couple of years back so you might have to go with used to get a price like that now. Still, it's worth a try.

Rugers and Taurus autos are gonna require you to settle for aluminum frames and you've already specified all stainless, although I'm sure both would outlast all the shooting you care to do.

MCgunner
February 5, 2006, 12:26 PM
Rugers are well under $500. But, Rugers are working guns that work, not really for looking at. Aesthetics are variable, though, and I like the looks of a P model Ruger especially in stainless.

If you just wanna sit around and look at it, get a 1911. Everyone likes the looks of a 1911, you'll impress your friends, and since you're just going to be looking at it, it doesn't have to work or anything, right? Of course, finding any 1911 for under 500 new, reliable or not, can be a chore. My AMT hardballer was a pretty gun to look at, about all it was good for.:rolleyes:

One of the sexiest 9mms out there IMHO is the S&W M3913 and it's actually a reliable, accurate, and concealable working weapon. I'm not sure what they go for, though. It's my favorite for looks. Like to own one, but it's down on the list right now.

jeff-10
February 5, 2006, 01:53 PM
Another nod here for the CZ-75B. I am not sure they make then in stainless though but I do know they make them in satin nickel.

erh
February 5, 2006, 02:16 PM
At the forefront of my answer would be to speak w/ James at Ordanance Outsellers:
james@ordnanceoutsellers.com
http://www.ordnanceoutsellers.com/
about any 9mm Sig CPO, but then I would next suggest a Kahr K9 (Prefferably an "Elite") of some sort, even used is fine w/ a Kahr. (erh)

albanian
February 5, 2006, 02:17 PM
"If you don't like Glocks take a look at the use police trade in sigs. But Glocks are the best there is in the sub custom 1911 price range."

That is pure opinion. Glocks are nothing special. I have a SA XD-9 that will outshoot any Glock I have seen and it only cost me $425 NIB with the stainless slide. The Glock Reich is at an end.

Since you mention that you wanted the gun to be "nice looking", that rules out both the Glock and the XD. One of the best looking pistol made is the Beretta. It has sleek lines and looks good in SS or black. A SS 92FS with black micarta or carbon fiber grips would be something to look at for sure! I think you may be able to find one for less than $500 used but not new. Also, you are Canada so your dollar is different and your prices are probably different as well.

I can't think of a better looking pistol in ANY caliber than the Beretta. A distant second choice would be a BHP or a CZ-75 in SS. The BHP is going to be more than you want to spend but you may find a SS CZ-75 in that price range. Don't expect it to be as nice as a BHP or a Beretta but they do work and are reliable. The triggers may not be great and the insides look like they were machined with an old hacksaw but they use good materials and things hold up.

modifiedbrowning
February 5, 2006, 04:51 PM
How about a Bersa?
Thunder 9 (http://www.bersa-sa.com.ar/bersa.asp)

saddlebum
February 5, 2006, 04:54 PM
fn hi power , not stainless but a great gun under $500

Steve C
February 5, 2006, 05:47 PM
Fits all your requuirement and should be able to find it below $500.
Taurus 9mm (http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=911SSGR-15&category=Pistol)

f4t9r
February 5, 2006, 05:55 PM
fn hi power , not stainless but a great gun under $500

great choice

Soybomb
February 5, 2006, 07:19 PM
As for the Glock Reich ending well lets just say you will never see any auto with the police dominance Glock has for quite some time
Probably not until a manufacturer offers the pricing perfection that glock offers to law enforcement agencies. :evil: Cheap wins and glock sure makes some deals it seems.

355sigfan
February 5, 2006, 07:48 PM
"If you don't like Glocks take a look at the use police trade in sigs. But Glocks are the best there is in the sub custom 1911 price range."

That is pure opinion. Glocks are nothing special. I have a SA XD-9 that will outshoot any Glock I have seen and it only cost me $425 NIB with the stainless slide. The Glock Reich is at an end.

I can't think of a better looking pistol in ANY caliber than the Beretta..

Glocks are the best yes thats my opinion. One supported by over 75% of the leo market and a huge percentage of the CCW market. The XD is a nice copy. One I would not mind owning except for some flaws. For instance the trigger reset is long and its easy to short shroke the trigger. The mags are low cap compared to the Glock. The XD is simply a fair attempt at a Glock copy. Not quite making it to GLock Perfection. As for the Glock Reich ending well lets just say you will never see any auto with the police dominance Glock has for quite some time. I have never seen an SD in a fellow cops holster. I am sure there are some but their not common.

The Beretta is a nice pistol but looks wise its nothing special. That was your opinion.
Pat

355sigfan
February 5, 2006, 08:01 PM
Probably not until a manufacturer offers the pricing perfection that glock offers to law enforcement agencies. :evil: Cheap wins and glock sure makes some deals it seems.

Glock is not only affordable but they offer great durability, reliablity and accuracy in an easy to train on packadge. They are the best mouse trap right now for general service pistols.
Pat

wrangler5
February 5, 2006, 08:09 PM
It appears that CDNN still has some FN Hi Powers (same assembly line as the Browning but with different markings) for $400. They come w/ 2 10 round mags, so you'd probably want to spend another $50 for a couple of factory 13 rounders, but you'd still have money left over for a decent holster of a few boxes of ammo.

I have two Hi Powers, and they are the most comfortable of all the large framed automatics in my hands. The fact that the design has been proven over 70 years is a real plus, too. If you've not handled one, I'd recommend you try to get to do so.

1911 guy
February 6, 2006, 11:59 AM
I'll say it again. CZ75. I'm not a 9mm kind of guy, buy they impressed me as being good pistols. I had one before I was dumb enough to sell it to a friend. Good ergonomics and accuracy and very reliable.

CypherNinja
February 6, 2006, 03:29 PM
My stainless CZ75 came in at under 500. ;) :cool:

wally
February 6, 2006, 03:39 PM
Glocks are the best yes thats my opinion. One supported by over 75% of the leo market and a huge percentage of the CCW market. The XD is a nice copy. One I would not mind owning except for some flaws. For instance the trigger reset is long and its easy to short shroke the trigger. The mags are low cap compared to the Glock. The XD is simply a fair attempt at a Glock copy. Not quite making it to GLock Perfection.
Pat

I'm curious of what amount of the claimed "75% of the LEO market" that Glock has is because officers carrying whatever they can qualify with choose Glocks vs. what the powers that be (politicos) decided the department will be issued (because they were the cheapest contract purchase).

Sure they are reliable, but I put more bullets where they need to be faster with other guns that are equally reliable than I do with Glocks. I much prefer the XD trigger to the Glock and in my hand the Glock does feel like a block. YMMV. OTOH, none of the plastic guns are my top choices for self-defense.

--wally.

355sigfan
February 6, 2006, 04:05 PM
I'm curious of what amount of the claimed "75% of the LEO market" that Glock has is because officers carrying whatever they can qualify with choose Glocks vs. what the powers that be (politicos) decided the department will be issued (because they were the cheapest contract purchase).

Sure they are reliable, but I put more bullets where they need to be faster with other guns that are equally reliable than I do with Glocks. I much prefer the XD trigger to the Glock and in my hand the Glock does feel like a block. YMMV. OTOH, none of the plastic guns are my top choices for self-defense.

--wally.

Strange that you like the XD's trigger. I hate it. It has an extreemly long reset like a Sig in single action. That slows down rapid repeat shots unless you slap the trigger. At my current department officers have to buy their own weapons. 1911's and Glocks are the current choices. I have never seen an officer carry an xd. Who can blame them. Why carry a copy when you can get the real thing. I prefer my Wilson CQB but my Glock 17 is a close second.
Pat

osteodoc08
February 6, 2006, 04:12 PM
Since when was an XD a Glock copy? There are only so many ways you can make a polymer pistol. Now if everyone would have said said, "why have a copy of a HS 2000", then I'd have to agree. Now the Taurus is definitely a copy of the Beretta, but I wouldn't consider the XD to be a copy of the Glock.

I prefer the trigger, ergonomics and the grip safety on the XD and my hand can definitely tell everyone that the XD is not a copy of the Glock.

Kramer Krazy
February 6, 2006, 04:13 PM
Used s&w 3rd generation.
+1.....Missashot has a really nice, practically mint, ex-cop 5903 that was only $348 and shoots VERY well. In over 4000 rounds or so, we haven't had any issues with the gun at all, and it shoots better than most handguns that I've ever shot.

oldhammy1
February 6, 2006, 04:14 PM
+1 for the Taurus. I have a 24/7 and love it! Can't go wrong for the price, and a lifetime warranty.

355sigfan
February 6, 2006, 04:15 PM
Since when was an XD a Glock copy? There are only so many ways you can make a polymer pistol. Now if everyone would have said said, "why have a copy of a HS 2000", then I'd have to agree. Now the Taurus is definitely a copy of the Beretta, but I wouldn't consider the XD to be a copy of the Glock.

I prefer the trigger, ergonomics and the grip safety on the XD and my hand can definitely tell everyone that the XD is not a copy of the Glock.

Your not serious you honestly don't think the XD is a Glock Copy. Take them apart together and tell me that again.
Pat

osteodoc08
February 6, 2006, 04:53 PM
Your not serious you honestly don't think the XD is a Glock Copy. Take them apart together and tell me that again.
Pat

When I think copy, I think that it is a copy. The Glock and XD may be very similar, but they are not a copies of each other.

These are what I consider to be copies:
1. Howa 1500, Weatherby Vanguard, Mossberg 1500, S&W 1500
2. Beretta 92 and Taurus PT92
3. HS 2000 and XD
4. Walther P99 and S&W99

I really don't consider the XD and Glock to be copies. Very similar, but not copies.

355sigfan
February 6, 2006, 04:59 PM
When I think copy, I think that it is a copy. The Glock and XD may be very similar, but they are not a copies of each other.

These are what I consider to be copies:
1. Howa 1500, Weatherby Vanguard, Mossberg 1500, S&W 1500
2. Beretta 92 and Taurus PT92
3. HS 2000 and XD
4. Walther P99 and S&W99

I really don't consider the XD and Glock to be copies. Very similar, but not copies.

If it were a true copy it would be a better side arm than it currently is.
Pat

osteodoc08
February 6, 2006, 05:03 PM
If it were a true copy it would be a better side arm than it currently is.
Pat

Mine goes bang everytime I pull the trigger, gives me decent accuracy (not as good as my Kimber), and fits me. I don't think that I could ask for a better sidearm than that. But then again as a Glock Armorer, YMMV.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't "Knock" Glock at all, I simply stated that *I* don't think that the XD is a Glock copy. If you feel that Glock is a better sidearm, well, that is fine as I have trust in my XD and that is all I need.

albanian
February 6, 2006, 07:27 PM
Just because most cops carry a Glock doesn't mean they are the best pistol available. SIGs are better made than Glocks but they cost more so most police depts don't want to spend the extra cash. Does that mean that Glocks are better than SIGs? I don't think so.

Most cops drive Chevy Caprices or similar. Does that mean that the Chevy Caprice is the best sedan on the market? I seriously doubt it. A BMW handles better and is probably a better car in all respects than a Caprice. Why don't cops drive BWMs? Is it because they are not as good as the Caprice, nope. It is because they do the the job at cheap price.

The idea that police depts have the best gear is unfounded. Glocks are cheap and easy to train the average cop to shoot well enough to qualify with. The average cop is just that, average. I don't base my decisions on what cops carry. They don't even have a say in what they carry most of the time. Also, most cops are not that interested in guns. They are not experts on guns anymore than they are experts on cars. In my town the cops carried the S&W SIGMA during the time that the SIGMA was considered the WORST pistol on the market. Did I run out and buy a SIGMA? What do you think? Cops can carry SIGMAs and drive Yugos for all I care, I don't copy cat them in some attemp to be like them. I practice more than 95% of cops do and probably shoot better than 95% of them as well. I don't need to look up to them for approval on what I am going to carry.

wally
February 6, 2006, 07:30 PM
Strange that you like the XD's trigger. I hate it. It has an extreemly long reset like a Sig in single action. That slows down rapid repeat shots unless you slap the trigger. At my current department officers have to buy their own weapons. 1911's and Glocks are the current choices. I have never seen an officer carry an xd. Who can blame them. Why carry a copy when you can get the real thing. I prefer my Wilson CQB but my Glock 17 is a close second.
Pat

Trigger reset is an issue I only seem to notice when dry firing with snap caps. Seems to me at the range as soon as the gun goes "boom" my trigger finger relaxes and I take up the slack during the recover from recoil phase -- even with my .22s. Probably explains why I'm generally pretty bad with DAO autos and am not much of a DA revolver shooter -- I'm pretty good with SA revolvers thumb cocking during the recover from recoil phase, the "western" style grips really seem designed to help do this.

1911 is my first choice by far so we agree here, but for me Glocks are in last place amoung quality guns. I'd not call the XD a copy of a Glock as the grip and trigger are way too different. I didn't think much of the XD until I shot one at the range during a "try mine" gun swap. If for some reason I couldn't use a cocked and locked gun, at this point it'd be a toss up between the XD or the new Taurus 24/7 PRO (maybe one of the 4" Kahr guns if their trigger is as good as on my PM40) I've not had either long enough to really decide between them, but so far I think the sights are better on the XD.

Edit: I consider the Taurus PT92 to be a major enhancement of the Beretta 92 because I learned that dislike DA/SA guns (SIGs included, despite my firsts autoloaders being a Beretta 92, and a SIG 220). The Taurus PT92 will do cocked and locked with the safety on the frame where JMB intended :)

--wally.

Northslope Nimrod
February 6, 2006, 07:56 PM
1. CZ 75

2. SA 1911.....but may have to stick with Mil-spec to stay close to $500.

P. Plainsman
February 6, 2006, 08:59 PM
The CZ 75B is the obvious response to those seeking an attractive well made sub-$500 nine. However, it is not available in stainless.

I believe the finish options are black polycoat, glossy blue (more of a gloss black, but nice), satin nickel, and blued/nickel two-tone.

Recommend you also look at the CZ 75 SA, the single-action only version. It too can be had under $500. To me, the great thing about the CZs is the availability of Condition 1 carry. (I never shoot mine DA.) The SA-only versions are said to have better single action triggers than the more common 75Bs, which are DA/SA. My 75B's one flaw is trigger creep.

bobhaverford
February 6, 2006, 09:19 PM
The CZ 75B is the obvious response to those seeking an attractive well made sub-$500 nine. However, it is not available in stainless.

http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=72

SouthpawShootr
February 6, 2006, 09:35 PM
Here's a CZ75 stainless from Gunbroker. Just a little over budget.

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43558915

mmike87
February 6, 2006, 10:24 PM
Easy - CZ-75 variant

Solid construction, smooth trigger, safe cocked and locked carry with most variants, very low bore axis, confortable grip (get the factory rubber grips, they are great.)

The gun is mostly cast parts, but it's all metal and the fit and finish are excellent. You can get them easily for $400 NIB - a bargain.

The downside - crappy sights. Plan on getting better sights. They really suck.

Big Mike
February 6, 2006, 10:35 PM
Used 9mm's are out there. I recommend a used 5906 with Hogue wood or rubber grips. Easily had for under $500, with enough left over to buy lotsa ammo for a solid afternoon at the range. :)

Mike

355sigfan
February 7, 2006, 01:11 AM
Just because most cops carry a Glock doesn't mean they are the best pistol available. SIGs are better made than Glocks but they cost more so most police depts don't want to spend the extra cash. Does that mean that Glocks are better than SIGs? I don't think so.
END QUOTE

I used to be a huge sig fan they are well made guns but their are not better made than Glocks. In fact I sold all of my sigs (owned 6). The sigs primary weakness is a high bore axis , DA SA action, or a Long trigger DAO (both of which are harder to fire fast and accurately compared to the Glocks trigger system), long trigger reset. And the frames tend to crack between 20000 and 50000 rounds depending on ammo used. Glocks last far longer because their better made. (That was a rub, Glocks last longer because polimer framed guns are more durable than alluminum)
Pat

osteodoc08
February 7, 2006, 10:20 AM
About the 75% or LEO's having/using Glocks is absolutely false.

Even on the Glock web site, they claim that Glocks are used in 65% of AGENCIES. Here is the quote: "In the USA, GLOCK pistols are in use in 65 % of law enforcement agencies" From the Glock site here: http://www.glock.com/market_position1.htm

If 1 person in that agency uses a Glock it counts as being used in the agency. Man I just love how people can twist things to suit thier needs and pocketbooks.

Glock does make a fine side arm however, I believe it would be a stretch to say that it is heads and shoulders over the rest.

355sigfan
February 7, 2006, 12:09 PM

Even on the Glock web site, they claim that Glocks are used in 65% of AGENCIES. Here is the quote: "In the USA, GLOCK pistols are in use in 65 % of law enforcement agencies" From the Glock site here: http://www.glock.com/market_position1.htm

If 1 person in that agency uses a Glock it counts as being used in the agency. Man I just love how people can twist things to suit thier needs and pocketbooks.

Glock does make a fine side arm however, I believe it would be a stretch to say that it is heads and shoulders over the rest.

The 75% figure came from a survey of police duty holster manufactures. And its about right. So before you call someone a liar get your facts strait.
Pat

osteodoc08
February 7, 2006, 01:43 PM
The 75% figure came from a survey of police duty holster manufactures. And its about right. So before you call someone a liar get your facts strait.
Pat

How are my fact's not straight? My source is from the Glock website itself. Where are you quoting your sources from?

Regardless, this disagreement materialized out of absolute non necessity as the poster prefers a non polymer firearm. I also did not call you a liar, I simply stated that your 75% LEO usage was different from what GLOCK STATES! I have always stated that Glock is a good firearm, so where is the problem?

In turn, I am done weighting in on the Glock vs. everything else subject, so have a nice day.:)

SDGlock23
February 7, 2006, 02:47 PM
To the original poster, I'd opt for a Glock 19. My lady's father has one and it's a fun gun to shoot, feels great to boot. :D

P. Plainsman
February 7, 2006, 03:07 PM
I appreciate the correction above: there is a CZ 75 Stainless.

I had been looking at the descriptions for the CZ 75B and CZ 75 SA, which mention only the normal finishes I listed.

Probably a very good gun.

February 7, 2006, 09:05 PM
used glock or S&W ;)

UWstudent
February 7, 2006, 09:10 PM
1. pre-owned sig226

2. glock 17

3. get a .45

akanotken
February 7, 2006, 09:33 PM
I had this very decision to make 5 years back with a little more cash.

A lot of research and trying them on, and I chose the bhp. CZ has similar ergo's which is what sold me on the hp.

If you could consider plastic, the p99 bests the glock and the XD. So, now yall can stop dickering for second place :neener: I like the older style trigger (DA/SA).

355sigfan
February 7, 2006, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by osteodoc08
END QUOTE

Thats looks like your calling me a liar. Anyway like I said the figure is from a survey of the major Duty holster makers, Another fact to consider there is not a lot of difference between 65 and 75 &. I will split the difference at 70% thats still a huge Glock dominance.
Pat

ROAshooter
February 8, 2006, 12:14 AM

Most cops drive Chevy Caprices or similar. Does that mean that the Chevy Caprice is the best sedan on the market? I seriously doubt it. A BMW handles better and is probably a better car in all respects than a Caprice. Why don't cops drive BWMs? Is it because they are not as good as the Caprice, nope. It is because they do the the job at cheap price.

The idea that police depts have the best gear is unfounded. Glocks are cheap and easy to train the average cop to shoot well enough to qualify with. The average cop is just that, average. I don't base my decisions on what cops carry. They don't even have a say in what they carry most of the time. Also, most cops are not that interested in guns. They are not experts on guns anymore than they are experts on cars. In my town the cops carried the S&W SIGMA during the time that the SIGMA was considered the WORST pistol on the market. Did I run out and buy a SIGMA? What do you think? Cops can carry SIGMAs and drive Yugos for all I care, I don't copy cat them in some attemp to be like them. I practice more than 95% of cops do and probably shoot better than 95% of them as well. I don't need to look up to them for approval on what I am going to carry.
BRAVO.....could not agree more.....

ROAshooter
February 8, 2006, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by osteodoc08
END QUOTE

Thats looks like your calling me a liar. Anyway like I said the figure is from a survey of the major Duty holster makers, Another fact to consider there is not a lot of difference between 65 and 75 &. I will split the difference at 70% thats still a huge Glock dominance.
Pat

As I follow many of these opinions.....on different topics...I see a pattern that is suspeciously obsessive-compulisve.....from 355sigfan.....to have the last word.........against those who do not agree with him

355sigfan
February 8, 2006, 12:45 AM
As I follow many of these opinions.....on different topics...I see a pattern that is suspeciously obsessive-compulisve.....from 355sigfan.....to have the last word.........against those who do not agree with him

And how is this post related to the subject. Its also a personal atack in violation of forum rules. If you don't like what I have to say fine but try to be more professional and refrain from personal attacks.
Pat

45crittergitter
February 8, 2006, 10:19 PM
Taurus 24/7. Go handle one.

wally
February 8, 2006, 10:34 PM

+1 to 24/7 if you want true DAO, but more like the XD is the new 24/7 PRO with its SA and DA fallback should you have a "hard primer" -- IMHO a bogus feature as Tap-Rack-Bang is the proper response to click instead of bang, but it gives you the option of an external thumb activated safety. On mine the trigger is a bit heavier but crisper with significantly shorter reset than the XD.

Both are too new to me to really decide decide which I like better, and my XD has a bit of an unfair advantage as I've the 5" tactical model which shoots better becasue of the longer barrel and sight radius, but I prefer either to my Glock 17, YMMV.

--wally.

VPJack
February 8, 2006, 11:16 PM
For the money and the all metal the CZ75 would be the best IMHO. As to the glock issue, life is just to short to shoot an ugly gun.

Jack(just my 2 cents and worth every penny)

wally
February 8, 2006, 11:24 PM
I sure wouldn't try to talk some one out of a CZ75! Probably the way to go if you want cocked and locked. Only downside is the plastic used in CZ grips melts on contact with brake parts cleaner (gun scrubber) and perhaps other solvents.

If you like cocked and locked, also consider the Taurus PT-92/99. $500 or less gives you lots of choices in a 9mm autoloader.

--wally.

355sigfan
February 8, 2006, 11:55 PM

I handled one I siezed from a search warrant. The trigger sucks. Hate long trigger DAO's so I am biased. Also not a Taurus Fan. In the past I have seen too many problems with their guns. For example a friend had a PT908 that would not feed anything for one entire magazine without malfunctioning. Another buddy had a PT100 in 40sw it had extraction problems.
Pat

VPJack
February 9, 2006, 12:45 PM
And I have a friend who liked his Glock so much he went right out and got a Kimber and a S&W revolver. Hardly ever shoots the Glock any more.

Jack (lifes to short to shoot an ugly gun)

kennyboy
February 9, 2006, 03:32 PM
Oh, and I do not like Glocks. I do not like plastic guns.:o
Who doesn't like Glocks? You're kidding me. Glocks are extremely durable, light, accurate, and have high cap magazines. What's not to like? Now, they have cool OD Green colors. Plus, you can get a Glock for well under 500 at www.gtdist.com. This website has many other great firearms, priced well below other dealers. Check them out. You may be able to get the 9mm you want for under 500 there.

nicadflyer
February 11, 2006, 03:29 AM
Ruger KP 89 or 95 under $400 New

Snagglepuss
February 11, 2006, 01:07 PM
My first handgun was a Glock 19. Other guns have come and gone but never my 19. You will pay about $450 right now at topglock.com. What I would really like next, not in place of the glock, is a Dan Wesson 1911, 9mm. Hoping one is annouced at SHOT. It will probably will go for just under a grand which will be disappointing as I will have to save rather than impulse buy.:D

kennyboy
February 11, 2006, 04:29 PM
I don't know why people suggest High Point. It is obvious that the guns are cheap as can be. I will never own a $150 .45. There is a reason why some guns are $150 and others are $1000+. Spend the extra $ and get a good gun.

CypherNinja
February 11, 2006, 05:25 PM
3. HS 2000 and XD

As I understand it, the HS2000 and the XD are actually the same gun. Springfield bought the Croatian company that made the HS2000 and rebranded the guns in order break into the "Glock market". ;)

Black Majik
February 11, 2006, 05:34 PM
I think right now if we're thinking of a non-plastic 9mm in stainless only for under $500, its pretty hard to suggest something that falls in that criteria. Unless you go for a Taurus autoloader of some sort.

Honestly, I suggest you look for something that is all steel and worry about finish later. The CZ's are awesome pistols, and they come in a nice variety of configurations. The CZ 75b, PO1, Rami are all great pistols.

I also want to toss in a CPO SIG P226, if you can find one around the $500 price mark.

You can always refinish the gun later, but I think the criteria was little too picky :D

Good luck

kennyboy
February 11, 2006, 06:46 PM
Check out www.impactguns.com. They have just about every gun you can imagine at real world prices.

osteodoc08
February 11, 2006, 08:13 PM
As I understand it, the HS2000 and the XD are actually the same gun. Springfield bought the Croatian company that made the HS2000 and rebranded the guns in order break into the "Glock market". ;)
There are very few differences between the first gen HS2000 and the XD. The most current model HS2000 and the XD are indeed the same with the exception of it saying SA-XD instead of HS-2000. Go check out www.hs2000talk.com to see more about the "Croation Sensation"

If you enjoyed reading about "A nice 9mm under $500" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!