Ordering Garand

PDA

kentucky_smith
February 5, 2006, 06:49 PM
tomorrow, should I get the rack grade or field grade. Can't stand the 90 day wait of service grade. Don't expect great accuracy or perfect gun, just want, no, need a Garand.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ordering Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Firehand
February 5, 2006, 08:06 PM
If you don't want to wait for a service, go with the field grade. Not much more than the rack grade, and the barrel will be in better condition.

davera
February 5, 2006, 08:44 PM
Rack grade. Get it rebarreled and you'll have a fine shooter.

kentucky_smith
February 5, 2006, 09:01 PM
Where? I've looked at Fulton and a few other places. I haven't found a barrel for under $244 either.

kentucky_smith
February 5, 2006, 09:43 PM
Okay, let me ask this. For those of you who bought rack grade, how were they?

Skipper
February 5, 2006, 10:10 PM
If you're not gonna wait for a Service Grade go for the Field for sure. The $45 extra bucks you'll spend will likely get you a better shooter.
SKIP

Sam
February 5, 2006, 10:21 PM
I have restocked and refinished 4 rack grades for customers in the past 6 months and all shot just fine, even with their "worn" barrels.

Sam

USMCRotrHed
February 6, 2006, 04:49 AM
CMP sells new barrels for M1s for $165.00 plus shipping. hey always show out of stock, but my back order was filled within 2 weeks.

For a great shooter and looker, consider getting a rack grade, rebarrel with a new one, and get a Boyd stock from MidwayUSA. Walnut stocks are on sale right now for $80.00.

ReadyontheRight
February 6, 2006, 11:08 AM
Would you consider driving to the CMP North store? It's at Camp Perry near Sandusky, Ohio. Not too far from Kentucky.

You can pick out your own Garand and bring it home.

ocabj
February 6, 2006, 11:39 AM
Order a field grade and a service grade.

By the time they charge your credit card for the service grade, you will have the cash to pay for it.

TrekkieFromHell
February 6, 2006, 12:07 PM
I happen to have a rack grade that I bought off my friend. Shoots good for me :). I shoot just as well with that as I do with my M44 Mosin-Nagant. :D

kentucky_smith
February 6, 2006, 02:31 PM
Would you consider driving to the CMP North store? It's at Camp Perry near Sandusky, Ohio. Not too far from Kentucky.

You can pick out your own Garand and bring it home.

Thought about that, but it's still 6.5 hours away.

Like the order both idea. Getting shaky thinking about it. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Ordering Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!