Does anyone make an M1A rifle in 6.8spc?

PDA

epijunkie67
February 5, 2006, 07:02 PM
I've been trying to decide what would be the best possible all around rifle for me. Your requirements may be different. I think if I could make any rifle I wanted I'd make an M1A with a polymer stock, about 7.5-8 lbs, chambered in 6.8 spc, 18" barrel.

Anyone making this rifle at this time?

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone make an M1A rifle in 6.8spc?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nightcrawler
February 5, 2006, 07:07 PM
The M1A is too big for 6.8SPC. 6.8mm was designed to fit in 5.56mm sized frames, specifically, the M16/M4 and the SAW. I'm sure it could be done, but converting a .308 to 6.8mm would be a much bigger project than converting a .223.

However, for similar ballistics, a conversion to .243 might work nicely. And, ammo would be more available.

Conversely, you could in theory rebarrel a Mini-14 to 6.8mm, though no magazines exist for it. 6.8mm doesn't work out of standard M16 5.56mm magazines; it requires a different follower, I believe.

LooseGrouper
February 5, 2006, 07:14 PM
I'm not aware of anyone making such a rifle. If you want an M1A to come in at 8 pounds, you'd basically have to rebuild the whole rifle in miniature. I don't think it's really practically, but if you've got the money or skill/time to build a one-of-a-kind rifle from scractch then go for it. And post pics for sure!

The Ruger mini's sort of have the look and feel of a miniturized M-14, and it would probably be easier to have one of those reworked to 6.8. You could take care of some of the accurizing issues at the same time. I'm not really sure of everything that would be required. I think the reciever and mags for a mini-14 (.223) would work for the 6.8, but you'd definately need a new barrel and maybe some gas system work. Overall an AR from one of the big boys would be cheaper and easier.

LG

EDIT: Nightcrawler beat me to the mini idea...and if he is correct (which I don't doubt) then the mags won't work.

jeff-10
February 5, 2006, 07:26 PM
I can see a Mini-14 in 6.8SPC but not a M1A. The closest I would think you could get is a 7mm-08, and that I am sure would take a lot of cash and patience to accomplish.

Crosshair
February 5, 2006, 08:03 PM
A M1A in 260 Remington would be able to use standard mags and have all the advantages of the 6.5 Grendel.

kaferhaus
February 5, 2006, 08:22 PM
Personally, I wouldn't spend a nickel towards what you think you want.

Any way you accomplished it would be a one off rig that you'd eventually have to sell at a huge loss.

The problem with "custom" guns are one man's perfect toy is most other folks junk. And no matter what anyone says, eventually every thing ends up for sale at some time or another.

The 6.8 and Grendel are both sollutions is search of a problem. Neither do anything that something else doesn't already do as well or better without being labeled as a "one off" or "dreamer" cartridge.

The military will never adopt either and the ballistics of either cartridge is nothing special.

BUT if being different floats your boat and your wallet....

Dienekes
February 5, 2006, 09:18 PM
The longer I use my M1A the better I like it as a (glass bedded) stock rifle. Granted, it is a little long, but its capabilities in 7.62 and very mild recoil more than make up for any theoretical shortcomings. It just gets better over the years. The goal is to hit and this it does in spades.

The only change I can foresee over the years is that if I can no longer use irons effectively I may move to an optical sight (already have the Smith Ent. mount for that eventuality). I will defer that as long as possible because a 9.5 pound rifle is a lot handier than an 11.5 pounder.

I am hard pressed to think of a more capable rifle.

epijunkie67
February 5, 2006, 09:31 PM
I guess when I say "M1A" what I really mean is a magazine fed straight stock rifle like the mini14 or M1 Carbine as opposed to an AR configuration.

kaferhaus- Sorry this seems like such a waste of time to you. Notice I started off by saying, "...the best possible all around rifle for me. Your requirements may be different." Instead of telling me how worthless my request is perhaps you could actually provide constructive input on how to achieve my goal. I'm sure there are numerous cartriges that fall into the catagory of "Neither do anything that something else doesn't already do as well or better" and yet people still shoot them.

kaferhaus
February 5, 2006, 09:44 PM
kaferhaus- Sorry this seems like such a waste of time to you. Notice I started off by saying, "...the best possible all around rifle for me. Your requirements may be different." Instead of telling me how worthless my request is perhaps you could actually provide constructive input on how to achieve my goal. I'm sure there are numerous cartriges that fall into the catagory of "Neither do anything that something else doesn't already do as well or better" and yet people still shoot them.

You're right..., like I said it's your money.

Usually (you may be an exception) guys that ask the questions you asked are neophytes. Many of us "old guys" have been there and done that.... spent a bunch of money on something we thought was too cool.... tired of it in a couple years and then realized we had a ton of money tied up in something no one else wanted.

Wasn't meant to rain on your parade, just let you know there's always a downside to doing anything custom, only one of which is losing your shirt down the road.

A while back every one was "desperately" looking for 6.8 AR uppers. Now it seems nearly everyone that bought one is trying to sell it and most guys are ending up pulling the barrel, spending 2-$300 on a new .223 barrel and just keeping it or trying to sell it with the .223 barrel on it.

Some of the prior posts have good ideas. A 243 or 260 would be good choices.. If you want a Mini 14 in 6.8, just realize you're gonna have well over a grand invested in a $400 rifle when you get finished with it.

Telperion
February 5, 2006, 09:50 PM
I think the only way to get a "production" (term used loosely) rifle in 6.8 is to buy one of the 6.8 AR uppers. For anything else, you will need a smith to do some work. In addition to the mini-14, you should also consider the Kel-tec SU16 as a platform for your project.

epijunkie67
February 5, 2006, 10:07 PM
You're right..., like I said it's your money.

Wasn't meant to rain on your parade, just let you know there's always a downside to doing anything custom, only one of which is losing your shirt down the road.

Some of the prior posts have good ideas. A 243 or 260 would be good choices.. If you want a Mini 14 in 6.8, just realize you're gonna have well over a grand invested in a $400 rifle when you get finished with it.

I getcha. In this case I'm just trying to come up with the best midsized round I can for use as a general purpose rifle. A lot of people use the 7.62X39 for this but I was hoping for something with a little better ballistics. The 6.8 seems to fit the bill of "bigger than .223 but smaller than .308" but it's true that 260 would also. But I'd still need a weapon to shoot it out of and I don't know of anyone making highcap autoloading rifles in 260. Which brings me back to where I started.

jd25q
February 5, 2006, 10:24 PM
A lot of people use the 7.62X39 for this but I was hoping for something with a little better ballistics.

The 6.8 really isn't the answer for you then. I think it is very similar to the 7.62x39 in that you are limited to the lightest bullets in the caliber. You will also contend with even lower powder capacity. The lightest bullets will have the lowest ballistic coefficients and sectional densities. Both of which will hurt long range performance. I don't think the 6.8 offers anything over the 7.62x39, and very little over the .223.

pete f
February 6, 2006, 12:15 AM
The possiblity of converting a mini 14 is actually just a matter of a rebarreling and very easy opening of the bolt face. If someone was doing this. they would have the proper tools to do it at a most reasonable price.

Accuracy systems was doing it, but i have no idea if they are still doing it.

The 6.8 was designed to function thru the standard AR mag, so i would figure it would function in a mini 14 mag.

Mad Bodhi
February 6, 2006, 07:38 PM
The M1a was at one time available in .243. Don't know about .260. In fact there was a Douglas .243 heavy barrel for the M1a,I believe on Ebay or maybe Gunbroker, just last week.

runninmike
February 6, 2006, 10:59 PM
I believe you can get a 7mm-08 bbl too, but I prefer the good old .308.
Best-MC

30Cal
February 7, 2006, 12:29 AM
That would be cool, but I think you've hit a hard wall if it takes a custom bolt (due to difference? in bolt face sizes). The Springfield custom shop would probably do it, but it'd hurt your wallet. Not sure how the magazine situation would work either.

Crosshair
February 7, 2006, 01:37 AM
The only thing needed to get a M1A to work in 260 Remington would be instaling a custom barrel and adjusting the gas system. (Get one of those gas plugs that Brownells sells.) If you want to sell it, you just have to swap the barrel out. No real complex custom work to get it to run.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does anyone make an M1A rifle in 6.8spc?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!