New Saiga/SVD heavy cartridges

PDA

beerslurpy
February 6, 2006, 12:52 AM
Have been hearing about 9.3x64, 9x54R and similar being produced for military and hunting use.

Anyone know of any info on either of these cartridges? I would imagine the 9x54R is a necked up mosin round, but I dont really know any details.

thanks

-jim

If you enjoyed reading about "New Saiga/SVD heavy cartridges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dionysusigma
February 6, 2006, 01:53 AM
I would venture that the 9,3x64 is not a new cartridge--our store has it, but its box looks like a study in early 1970s marketing design. I'll have to look it up to see who made it, though.

If anything, it reminds me of a slightly smaller .470 Nitro Express. But I gotta ask the obligatory quesiton when it comes to new calibers... what does it do that a heavy, hot-loaded 7.62x54R won't? :confused:

That is, aside from taking out a Cape Buffalo (which are quite rampant in Siberia)... ;)

Marnoot
February 6, 2006, 02:05 AM
I believe one of those two calibers has been a somewhat common commercial hunting caliber in Russia. Couldn't say how popular it is, but I've heard of it before in that context. Whichever one it is I'm thinking of is supposed to be similar ballistically to the .35 Whelen.

Edit: I'm thinking of the 9x54R. I think it is, in fact, a necked up 7.62x54R but I'm not sure.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Saiga/SVD heavy cartridges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!