HI from a new member (+one question...)

PDA

Nick
April 12, 2003, 06:28 PM
Coming in all the way from Belgium (known for its chocolates, beer and funny neighbours such as France and the UK :D), I finally took the time to register after being a long-time lurker on the Firing Line and The High Road...

Now, one more thing I would like to know:what exactly is the High Road ? American English not being my native language, I am not familiar with the expression :confused:

Greetz !

Nick

If you enjoyed reading about "HI from a new member (+one question...)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Betty
April 12, 2003, 06:54 PM
Hi Nick, and welcome to THR! :)
"The High Road" is from the phrase "take the high road" - I believe Rich Lucibella might have coined that phrase - he was the owner of thefiringline.com.

Taking the high road means to take the moral high road, to not stoop to a low level of name calling, mudslinging, and other unbecoming tactics. We're responsible gun owners.

rick458
April 12, 2003, 06:57 PM
Good answer Runt

telewinz
April 12, 2003, 07:02 PM
The High Road is the opposite of the Low road. The way its used here in my opinion is: Tolerate and respect another person's judgement and opinion as you would like your opinion respected. Their is a great deal of information here at the High Road but points of view and experience vary a great deal. Walk the High Road and respect others and you are respected, walk the Low Road and disrespect others and you are ignored and in some cases censured. Welcome.:)

cool45auto
April 12, 2003, 07:20 PM
Welcome to THR! :D

Navy joe
April 12, 2003, 07:35 PM
For some of our more strident members we are considering opening The High Horse. I hear my membership is pending. Problem is we would never get off.

Standing Wolf
April 12, 2003, 08:53 PM
Belgium is also where my newest pistol was made: a very well designed, manufactured, and finished Browning Medalist .22 caliber match pistol.

The high road is often the difficult, rocky, hilly, narrow, dangerous, uncomfortable, longer road than the low road.

hksw
April 12, 2003, 09:03 PM
Howdy, welcome aboard.

"Coming in all the way from Belgium (known for its chocolates, beer and funny neighbours such as France and the UK."

You gotta get your priorities straight, though. Belgium -> Fabrique National Herstal/(Browning/Winchester) ;)

El Tejon
April 12, 2003, 09:47 PM
Welcome, Nick. New guy buys the ammo.:D

Blackhawk
April 12, 2003, 10:01 PM
Hi Nick, and welcome to THR! :D

Don Gwinn
April 13, 2003, 10:03 AM
I'm going to look stupid, but I just have to ask. You weren't ever a foreign-exchange student in Virden, IL, were you?

We had a guy named "Nick" from Belgium. He taught us the difference between saying "Mr. Pibb" to an American and saying it to a Belgian.

Hal
April 13, 2003, 10:38 AM
The High Road = The Road Less Traveled.

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-- "The Road Not Taken," Mountain Interval, 1916

Robert Frost -

Same thing, different wording.

Oleg Volk
April 13, 2003, 11:46 AM
Navy joe - :D

Belgian chocolate -- I am not sure where in Belgium the cocoa trees grow, but they truly make the best chocolate I've ever tried.

Tamara
April 13, 2003, 12:09 PM
Welcome to THR!

Don't look now, but rumour has it that the Swiss are planning an invasion of Belgium to sieze y'all's chocolate recipes. Stay alert! ;) :D

AZTOY
April 13, 2003, 01:23 PM
Welcome, Nick:)

Nick
April 13, 2003, 02:54 PM
I knew "the High Road" would mean something along those lines, and I am glad that it turned out to be exactly that - responsible gun owners of the world unite ;) (us Belgian gun owners are having hard times at this moment - if enough people are interested I might even expand upon that :) )

@ Don Gwinn: funny you ask - I was indeed a foreign-exchange student in the US of A, but that was in Vallejo, CA, in 1996. Maybe the myth has already spread :D . In retrospect, I should have opted for a state like Vermont or Utah.

Anyway, thanks again for the kind welcome - I am sure we'll talk a lot in the future !

Nick

blades67
April 13, 2003, 03:10 PM
Welcome!:)

Bainx
April 13, 2003, 03:30 PM
Ello Mate!
Welcome aboard "The High Road"
Tell us, are you planning on being a U.S. citizen?

Navy joe
April 13, 2003, 04:14 PM
Don, Occams dull rusty razor. All foreign exchange students from Belgium must be named Nick.

Nick, is there such a thing in Belgium as carry, or is ownership very restircted?

Nick
April 13, 2003, 04:35 PM
@Bainx: No offense, but not really planning on becoming a US citizen - let's say that I am "considering various options in a rapidly changing world" ... :cool: One should be legally entitled to defend himself and his/her significant other without fearing all sorts of legal hassles - my opinion is that if a government restricts that right, they'd better make up for it. Having spent some time in Japan as well, I can see why they get away with that kind of gun law: violent crime is almost nonexistant (albeit on the rise, mainly because of some people suddenly "losing it", but that's a different story altogether :confused:

@Navy Joe: the situation is ugly, to say the least. The current legislation provides in everything (including carry and full-auto ownership). Ownership is not that restricted at all, once you get past the red tape. However, there are "provincial directives", effectively restricting all these nice options. For example, it is no longer practically possible to get a permit for a full-auto - there are people who do have one, but if you were to apply for one now, it will be refused automatically...Same for carry - according to the law, "self defense" is a valid reason to get a carry permit, but you have to be able to prove that you are running a "higher than average risk, which justifies carrying a weapon".

On the other hand, we're still far better off than (for example) the UK, France, Holland and Germany. And did I mention that all those nice Heckler and Koch and Sig guns are really cheap out here ? THe Sig-552 Commando can still be had for about $2,000 NIB

Don Gwinn
April 13, 2003, 07:38 PM
I knew that was a long shot, but once I started wondering I couldn't stop. It is an interesting coincidence, though. My friend Nick was here in 1996, too, when I was a senior in high school.

So what's happening to firearms in Belgium?

sm
April 13, 2003, 08:08 PM
Hi Nick, Welcome to THR!
-----
quote" ... He taught us the difference between saying "Mr. Pibb" to an American and saying it to a Belgian."
-----
Okay, I'll bite, difference please.
Or did this responsible firearm owner from the South just really blow it?
:D

12-34hom
April 13, 2003, 08:22 PM
From all who live on the great plains.

12-34hom.

If you enjoyed reading about "HI from a new member (+one question...)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!