Rock Island Armory 1911...any good??

PDA

CarbineKid
February 8, 2006, 08:05 AM
Im in the market for a 1911. I really want a bare bones classic 1911. It will be used as a base gun, that I may or may not upgrade later(first 1911). I already know about the Springfield GI series, and Im just considering the other options out there(plus the RIA is less$). SO does anyone own, or have any info on RIA.
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock Island Armory 1911...any good??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
VinnyT
February 8, 2006, 09:00 AM
Yes. Go to www.forums.1911forum.com. All the way at the bottom is the "Other 1911's" forum. Check that out. MANY positive threads on this pistol. I have one and is it very accurate. There is even a member "blackdragon" that is an employee for RIA. He is also a huge help in any questions you may have. V.

Spot77
February 8, 2006, 09:31 AM
There's a few threads here at THR on these guns, but the bottom line is YES, they are decent guns.

Certainly not Kimber quality, but if you want an entry level 1911 to see how you like it, it's a good choice.

Mine had a few failure to feeds in the first 100 rounds but has gotten near perfect since. The factory magazine is junk; I replaced mine with a Chip McCormick (thanks to a gun loving brother - Merry Christmas to me!)

Now prepare yourself for the deluge of "But you can get a Springfield for like $100 more!" attacks. :neener:

1911 guy
February 8, 2006, 09:33 AM
My carry gun is a Charles Daly, also made by Armscor. Several years old, several thousand rounds, not one single failure of any kind. Not a tackdriver, but good enough to hit a torso sized target at 25 yards.

Frenchy
February 8, 2006, 10:01 AM
I purchased one and it should be arriving today or tomorrow. I was also interested in a "Vanilla" GI design.

MrAcheson
February 8, 2006, 10:57 AM
Yes they're quite good and I don't regret spending $320 on mine. You will probably want to make improvements eventually. The stock GI hammer setup gives a lot of people hammer bite and the smooth wood grips are nothing to write home about. But those are a GI problems not a RIA problems.

Kramer Krazy
February 8, 2006, 11:15 AM
Mine shoots surprisingly well and is very reliable.....

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d32/Kramer_Krazy/RIA_1911A1.jpg

I've added a Wilson Combat drop-in grip safety, hammer, and Hogue grips on it.....and painted the GI sights.

1911Tuner
February 8, 2006, 11:22 AM
Recently I had the opportunity to look at a pair of new RIAs that a member and his wife bought for range use. Hers had a minor failure to go to battery issue that was corrected in about 20 minutes, and they report that all is well with both guns rockin' and rollin' as intended, along with decent accuracy that won't win any bullseye matches, but is fully up to informal target practice and the ritual Sunday Afternoon Ringing of the Steel.

The guns are made up almost entirely from cast (not MIM) parts, including the frames and slides, so they probably won't be as durable under long-term hard use as machined steel...but the castings appeared to be good quality with no flash on the small parts...smooth and nicely finished...and only a hint of flash here and there on the frames...mostly on the underside of the grip safety tangs.

Compared to the old Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911s of the early 80s, the
RIAs are much better as to function, fit and finish...and not a bad deal for the money if somebody is looking for an entry-level 1911 clone. Of course,
as with anything else that is mass-produced, problems are bound to crop up on occasion...and these two pistols can't be taken as assurance of being representative of the line...but my impression was favorable, with all applicable caveats in force. I may even pick one up at some point to wring out just to see what they're made of...and to save some wear and tear on my Colt beaters that are gettin' a bit long in the tooth. Of course...If anybody has one that they'd like to donate for a torture test in the name of research, I'm happy to oblige.:cool:

Helstrm
February 8, 2006, 11:34 AM
There's a few threads here at THR on these guns, but the bottom line is YES, they are decent guns.

Certainly not Kimber quality, but if you want an entry level 1911 to see how you like it, it's a good choice.

Mine had a few failure to feeds in the first 100 rounds but has gotten near perfect since. The factory magazine is junk; I replaced mine with a Chip McCormick (thanks to a gun loving brother - Merry Christmas to me!)

Now prepare yourself for the deluge of "But you can get a Springfield for like $100 more!" attacks. :neener:

Mine came with a Novak mag that is great. I even ordered 3 more navaks for it. 500 rounds and not one malfunction. Can't say that for the Kimber or even the Delta Elite.

osteodoc08
February 8, 2006, 01:33 PM
I bought a RIA compact that I had very few problems out of. Mostly just break-in stuff. If has been 100% reliable for the last 450-500 rounds. I have added some extras like a BT safety in SS and to round out a 2 tone look a SS slide stop, thumb safety, and hammer. Internally I swapped out the disconnect and the sear. Now the trigger is so crisp and, well, perfect.

Now I'm thinking of refinishing the slide and frame in Dura Coat.

MudPuppy
February 8, 2006, 01:44 PM
Used three of them so far--best deal for the money I know of.

I don't have one yet (I'm a DA sort of guy and have an 8045), but will definitely be acquiring one to fill my 1911 "need".

satx40
February 8, 2006, 05:05 PM
Hey all,

I've got one and have about 2500 rds thru it. Not the first sign of problems. Accruacy is better than my Springer GI. Will get another one next gun show that's in town.

wally
February 8, 2006, 10:51 PM
I've got about 5300 rounds on mine. The link broke at about 3500 rounds, use the search I posted photos. No problems since replacing the link with a $5 Wilson. I've been carefully inspecting it after every outing and see virtually no wear since taking the photos at 3500 rounds.

IMHO great guns for the money, but if you plan on changing things from GI config, take a look at the Armscor (makers of RIA and Charles Daly) "Enhanced" 45 where for about $50 more you get Springfield "loaded" creature comforts. Again use the search, I posted a thread with photos when I first got it.

--wally.

Spot77
February 8, 2006, 11:05 PM
Mine came with a Novak mag that is great. I even ordered 3 more navaks for it. 500 rounds and not one malfunction. Can't say that for the Kimber or even the Delta Elite.

Sweet....I wasn't so lucky. Maybe mine is older/newer and they changed mags at some point?

I may give the old mag a try again now that the gun has some mileage on it.

The factory mag spring feels really weak though, and that's what I attributed a lot of my early troubles to, although possibly incorrectly.

Oh well, I needed a spare mag anyway.

wally
February 8, 2006, 11:18 PM

Mine had a few failure to feeds in the first 100 rounds but has gotten near perfect since.

Needing 200-300 rounds to make your new Kimber reliable would not be unusual.

A Springer GI may be only $100 more but does any gun come with uglier grips? :neener:

--wally.

NateG
February 9, 2006, 01:31 PM
A Springer GI may be only $100 more but does any gun come with uglier grips? :neener:

--wally.

Which ones, the Springer "US" grips, or the plane-jane smooth RIA wood grips?

I kind of like the Springer grips. But no one would accuse me of having "sophisticated tastes."

I fell for the "only $100 bucks more for a springer" ($75 to be exact), but couldn't be happier with it. So far no failures to feed, eject, fire, or otherwise not work properly. The factory magazine works fine (a few of the cheapo mags I picked up at the show were complete junk... wouldn't even advance a round when the previous was removed. I had to shake them to get the rounds back out), and it eats everything I've fed it. (Lead, FMJ, hollowpoints, SWC)

I know you didn't ask about the Springfield ones, but it's somewhat related: I considered the two, bought the springer, and love it. I imagine I'd be saying something similar had I picked the RIA, I just would have had a few more boxes of ammo through it already, or another holster/grips/whatever.

Spot77
February 12, 2006, 04:01 PM
Slight update:

After putting another 75 rounds through it a few nights ago all feeding problems seemed to have gone away (this is great news since I haven't cleaned the gun yet since I bought it).

The factory mag worked 100%, EXCEPT that it was a little slow to feed the first round in the mag. The first round would hang for a split second before allowing the slide to completely move forward.

Seemed to happen after the first fifty or so rounds.

So maybe I was a little too critical of the factory mag at first. I checked - it is a Novak mag.

38snapcaps
February 12, 2006, 04:29 PM
I bought the full size and am delighted with it. I was amazed at the accuracy and the crisp trigger. I can stand back from the dirt berm and whack clay pigeons from 45 ft. with one shot. The tiny GI sights take a couple of mags to adjust to, but after that you find they force you to really concentrate on the sight picture, with wonderful results.

I have fired a friend's Gold Cup and honestly I believe the RIA's accuracy is just as good and, for me, the RIA trigger is better.

I felt like I was taking a chance, being it only cost $320, but now I'm quite pleased. I had it refinished to give it the dark gray WW II look.

So, I would highly recommend the Rock Island Armory line of pistols.

Frenchy
February 12, 2006, 05:32 PM
Here's mine sporting original "Coltwood" USGI grip panels.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-4/988747/RIA1911A1003.jpg

Helstrm
February 13, 2006, 12:39 AM
I love my Rock
http://gunsmithusa.com/files/1911_005_908.jpg
http://gunsmithusa.com/files/image_00033_113.jpg

Texfire
February 13, 2006, 12:52 AM
+1 on RIA 1911.

Tex

Moonclip
February 13, 2006, 06:16 PM
Here's mine sporting original "Coltwood" USGI grip panels.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-4/988747/RIA1911A1003.jpg
Thats how I have mine set up too and I put the original RIA grips on a Colt 1991a1 of all things.

Frenchy
February 13, 2006, 06:31 PM
My original grips are attractive...I'll have to save them for another gun.

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/1838/stockgrips1bo.th.jpg (http://img127.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stockgrips1bo.jpg)

wally
February 13, 2006, 06:36 PM
I think the stock RIA grips are much nicer than the woodburned "GI" grips on the Springfield bottom of the line. But the grips are the place to save on manufacturing cost as no matter what you do, a significant fraction of your customers won't be happy with them.

--wally.

3fgburner
February 13, 2006, 06:51 PM
My RIA is on the far right, in the attached pic. I'm just over 1000 rounds, most of it Wolf. Shooting some of the dirtiest ammo on the market, I've had it function flawlessly even with 2-300 rounds before cleaning. The only thing I've done with mine was to swap the wood grips for a used set of cheap rubber ones.

http://www.pbase.com/3fgburner/image/55258636.jpg

garymc
November 30, 2006, 07:30 AM
I just got one and can't get it to feed the first shell. Lifetime warranty, but you pay shipping.

S_O_Laban
November 30, 2006, 07:45 AM
Try it with another magazine. :)

confed sailor
November 30, 2006, 08:03 AM
not only yes, but hell yes buy it!

the RIA my roomate bought, and shot, and shot, and shot, etc. It was a pig, that pistol would eat any round we threw at it, (much to the chagrin of several kimber owners.) No tuning, no muss, no fuss.

My only problem is i cant find one for 300$ NIB like he did, what can i say im spoiled.

1911Tuner
November 30, 2006, 09:01 AM
garymc...Describe the stoppages in detail. Does the round enter the chamber and stop...or does it hang up on the feed ramp?

I've started to see more RIAs as their popularity grows. A good many have had return to battery issues because of excessive extractor tension, and are corrected with just a few minutes of adjustment, or...in some cases....light modification of the extractor. Your problems may be just that simple.

soutex50
November 30, 2006, 12:58 PM
Love my new Rock 38 Super!!!
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/soutex50/new021.jpg

Hugo
November 30, 2006, 01:08 PM
What is the website for Rock Island Amory? I'm having a little trouble finding it.

10-Ring
November 30, 2006, 03:06 PM
The RIA (of newer production at least) seem to be nice guns. But, I have developed an opinion that I would build a 'dream gun' w/ it. I'm sure it would make a nice range/HD/SD/ play gun but for something you plan on passing down to kin-folk, I'd look for a frame & slide higher up in the food chain.

bfox
December 1, 2006, 02:25 AM
Hugo
Do a Google search Twin pines + rock island
If you just do Twin pines it gives you a doll site .

Bill

Frog48
December 1, 2006, 02:34 AM
I dont own one, but plan to buy one in the future. I bought my first 1911 a few months ago, I got a Springfield GI 1911... the only reason I went with the Springfield instead of Rock Island is because I wanted a stainless finish. I've seen Rock Islands in person at gun shows, and I really liked them.

Now that I have that, I've been bitten by the 1911 bug. I want a black (parkerized or blued) 1911 too! So a Rock Island is on my list. :D

horge
December 1, 2006, 09:46 AM
What is the website for Rock Island Amory? I'm having a little trouble finding it.

Twin Pines Inc. Website (they own the RIA brand):
http://www.twinpines.com.ph/

Armscor Website (they build the pistols for Twin Pines and market them in the U.S.):
http://www.armscor.com.ph/
http://www.armscor.net/

hth
:)

Hugo
December 5, 2006, 07:20 PM
Strange websites they have. No MSRP? They should take a page from Smith and Wesson or Glock.

daysleeprx
December 5, 2006, 07:24 PM
Strange websites they have. No MSRP? They should take a page from Smith and Wesson or Glock.

So you want them to not update their website for years? :D

Joey_the_Wolf
December 5, 2006, 09:27 PM
My mom got me one as a gift. My first handgun (I have a thing for GI style 1911's. fell in love with them since I fired my first one a couple years ago.)

I had a couple of Jams at the range, but after the first box of ammo (100rd value pack), the problems mostly went away, and the thing is a tack driver. I was honestly not expecting it to be so accurate, but it is. Great deal overall, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a budget 1911. Sure, it may not look as pretty as a $1000 race gun, but honestly, I like it a whole lot. My only complaint are the tiny sights, but those could probably be swapped out. Personally, I'm keeping those sights for now until I figure out what I want on there, so I just took some white out and painted white dots on the sights. Crude? yes, but it worked for me :)

Good buy, well worth a look.

Here it is BTW:

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/7619/dsci0006yt2.jpg

oh, and btw, here's the group I got with it. Shot from 40 feet, 9 rounds. Good enough for me.
http://myspace-705.vo.llnwd.net/01457/50/78/1457588705_l.jpg

Aguila Blanca
December 6, 2006, 12:22 AM
Yes. Go to www.forums.1911forum.com. All the way at the bottom is the "Other 1911's" forum. Check that out. MANY positive threads on this pistol. I have one and is it very accurate. There is even a member "blackdragon" that is an employee for RIA. He is also a huge help in any questions you may have. V.
M1911.org is a great forum for the 1911, but the Rock Islands are NOT discussed in their "Other 1911s" forum. The Rocks are in the RIA/Armscor/Charles Daly/SAM forum. Armscor makes both the Rock Island Armory and Charles daly 1911s. They are solid pistols and possibly the best value on the 1911 market.

Aguila Blanca
December 6, 2006, 12:29 AM
The guns are made up almost entirely from cast (not MIM) parts, including the frames and slides, so they probably won't be as durable under long-term hard use as machined steel...but the castings appeared to be good quality with no flash on the small parts...smooth and nicely finished...and only a hint of flash here and there on the frames...mostly on the underside of the grip safety tangs.
Minor correction, Mr. Tuner, Sir -- RIA slides were investment castings, but early in 2006 they switched over to ... something. There's a rather lengthy debate over on the M1911.org RIA forum as to just what they switched to, but it ain't investment cast. The RIA rep described it as "extruded," but slides aren't really the kind of part that lend themselves to using extruding to produce, so I'm going along with the folks who suggested the new slides are machined from hot-rolled billets. Still waiting for the definitive word from the factory ...

daysleeprx
December 6, 2006, 12:46 AM
M1911.org is a great forum for the 1911, but the Rock Islands are NOT discussed in their "Other 1911s" forum. The Rocks are in the RIA/Armscor/Charles Daly/SAM forum. Armscor makes both the Rock Island Armory and Charles daly 1911s. They are solid pistols and possibly the best value on the 1911 market.

Vinny was talking about 1911forum.com, not m1911.org.

diesel95
June 11, 2007, 06:21 PM
i think the ria is a good gun for the price and shoot exceptionally well i have made upgrades to mine since i have bought it but it was deadly straight out of the box with no malfunctions. i added millet adjustable sights, hogue grips, wolf spring and guide, match trigger from wilson, and a colt commander hammer along with a new dovetail. i am looking to see what all everyone is doing with theses guns

wally
June 11, 2007, 06:45 PM
Since this thread has been brought back from the dead thought I'd update. Got over 10,000 rounds (most Wolf FMJ, about 20% hard cast lead reloads) thru my original RIA. No further parts failures or problems since the link breakage at about 3500 rounds.

I've since picked up a pair of their new "tactical" models, kept one stock, the other I added a fiber optic front sight from Dawson Precision (I ordered the Kimber model, front only. Very minor fitting required). Both were 100% reliable out of the box.

The Tactical comes with better sights (Novak's), beavertail grip safety, ambi safety and a better trigger that compares favorably to my Kimber TLE. The only non-improvement is the full lenght guide rod.

--wally.

lesjones
June 11, 2007, 07:05 PM
Are the RIAs and Armscors U.S. or non-U.S. manufacture?

wally
June 11, 2007, 07:06 PM
Made in the Philippines.

--wally.

wolvdog316
June 11, 2007, 08:04 PM
I like RIA personally, I held one at a Local Gun Shop. At the end of the day though I went ahead and got a Taurus 1911. VERY nice gun, to me its a tack driver. No problems yet, and a big problem I had with a lower end 1911, Daly, the feed ramp is polished. Overall I was happy spending the 100 bucks or more on it. Has served me well

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d110/wolvdog316/DSC02843.jpg

ab4ka
June 12, 2007, 01:59 AM
I've got the standard Rock Island "GI" pistol and I love it. I've had it for a little over a year with no problems at all. It eats everything I've put thru it. I'd love to have a Taurus 1911, I'd also like to have the RIA Tactical. If I had both of them in front of me with money to only buy one, I'd have a serious problem. Good thing I stay broke!

bill larry
June 12, 2007, 02:24 AM
You guys that have functioning RIA .45's are really lucky! I recently (like last Monday) got one lightly used (see my other thread about it) and could not get it to function at all, with three different type of FMJ, and three different magazines. Lots of 3 point jams.

I understand that some pistols may require a break in period, but---

1-I aint gonna spend way over a c note on ammo to try and get a gun to work

2-This was going to be my carry piece....after its dismal performance, there really was no way I coud ever trust it.

3-I once had a Llama in .38 super that was a much cheaper gun, and it functioned flawlessly....same with my dad's Taurus 1911, right out of the box. What gives with the RIA?? The guy at their service department told me to start buying new springs and polish this and that....why should I need to do that on a basically new gun?

The gun was beautiful and I wanted to love it (I love the way the GI 1911 looks, and I really like the size of the hole it makes) and when it worked, it was also pretty accurate.

However, life is too short, so I traded my problems away on Saturday at the Dallas gun show for a Smith and Wesson Model 64 snub...something that WILL work eveytime I pull the trigger. :p

I won't be getting another.

horge
June 12, 2007, 07:20 PM
There's a rather lengthy debate over on the M1911.org RIA forum as to just what they switched to, but it ain't investment cast. The RIA rep described it as "extruded," but slides aren't really the kind of part that lend themselves to using extruding to produce, so I'm going along with the folks who suggested the new slides are machined from hot-rolled billets.

The billets are NOT rolled (section being formed between opposing rollers), but instead, red hot metal is forced through a static forming die, a bit like like toothpaste through a tube. The final section is enough to include all of the cross-section of a RIA slide, and then Armscor CNC-mills the dickens out of it to obtain a slide.

savetheclaypigeons
June 12, 2007, 07:30 PM
I enjoy mine

1911 guy
June 13, 2007, 10:00 AM
The handgun I mentioned earlier in this thread has finally malfunctioned on me. When I got home I installed another recoil spring, the old one (third for this pistol) was over 1/4" shorter than the new one. I'm willing to bet this fixes my FTRTB problem.

craigs380
June 14, 2007, 04:48 PM
Does anyone know if the compact version of the RIA 1911 is available in 38 Super? I have seen the full sized version in a couple of places (Sarco for one). The Twin Pines main site shows them but I don't know if they were imported to the USA. Thanks for any information!

mrcpu
June 15, 2007, 07:06 AM
Currently .45 only... But that may change. Rumor has it there might be a 9 rolling down the pike sometime soon, but who knows.

Grayrider
June 15, 2007, 10:01 AM
I thought hard about getting on of their Supers for a 9x23/rimless .38 project, but ended up going Tanfoglio instead. The Witness's 18 round capacity won out. However, if RA does a 40 or 10mm I will take the plunge. I would love an inexpensive 1911 in 10mm to tweak a bit.

John

Linkinlog
June 15, 2007, 12:45 PM
My RIA Tactical has been excellent since day one. Over 600 rounds and still performing flawlessly. I also have a RIA 38 super but I sent it off to have a 9mm barrel fitted, so I haven't even shot it yet. I love the Rock Islands. For the money, they can't really be beat.

PS - Check out Bellshire on Gunbroker for good deals on RIAs.

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/3715/1911build010uf6.jpg

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/8300/carboncreations006fh6.jpg

rondog
September 27, 2007, 08:06 PM
I have two of them, and I'm not giving up either one. Zero problems with either one, except for hammer bite on the GI.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/RIApair04.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/RIApair02.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/compact1sttarget02.jpg

SAS Mayhem
September 27, 2007, 09:49 PM
I got my TACT ROCK .45 last week, All I can say it a superb pistol.

CptGonzo
September 28, 2007, 07:58 PM
Out of all my firearms, my RIA and my CZs are the last ones I'd part with. Strong words, but true. I love this 45 and have never had a failure and it's been fed the cheapest WWB to the most expensive stuff I could find around here. Highly accurate for the price, completely reliable and after the little bit of work I've put into it, I think it's kinda purty. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/DerKomet/Firearms/DSC_3_resized.jpg

CWL
September 28, 2007, 08:14 PM
I am currently working on both a RIA and SA MI. I have to say that the SA is closer to specs and I have not encountered any fit problems with upgrades.

The RIA has a few items which are not machined to Colt Govt. specs and which need some hand fitting if you want to swap or switch parts. I found that the slide rails are off by less than 1mm so it won't fit onto another frame, it either needs to be sanded down, or you need to sand the slide. The diameter of the extractor hole is slightly off as well, neither of the 2 aftermarket extractors will drop in and will need to have their diameters precision sanded down in order to fit.

Lastly, some of the fit of the RIA ia not as nice as comparable SA, namely the barrel muzzle. It is sharp and probably needs to be crowned as compared to my SA which has a machine-rounded muzzle.

None of these things will affect function of a complete RIA gun, but it is just slightly less finished than SA.

kansas45
September 29, 2007, 01:22 PM
I have done quite a bit of work to my RIA GI. It was good from the first round, & didn't need anyting done to it. :) But you know, I just had to add that beavertail & the hammer & trigger & new sear & disconnect & sear spring & mag well. Next is a new barrell. I'm having good time working on the thing!
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/kansas45/P4060007.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/kansas45/LoadingBench006.jpg
I also ordered a new RIA 38 Super & will pick it up this week. As far as I'm concerned, Rock Island Armory pistols are worth the money!

gi-rene
April 5, 2008, 08:19 PM
Sorry for the resurrection this thread but I was wondering if the RIA "GI" .45s can accept 7 round magazines. I'm a WW2 re-enactor and I'd like an economical 1911A1 as a backup for my unit's BAR (since I'm the only young buck that wants to hump it around). I'm hearing great things about these .45s and being a Filipino, why not get a gun from my mom's country?

3fgburner
April 5, 2008, 08:23 PM
If you mean standard Colt 1911 mags, as compare to the 8-round extendo that came with it, you betcha. All of my extra mags are standard ones. That's right down to the Colt logos on the floorplates.

Mainiac
April 5, 2008, 11:30 PM
Bought one last month and love it. It will feed anything I put in the mag. As accurate as any of my Kimbers.

Linkinlog

Neat grips, where did you get them, who's the maker.

OcelotZ3
April 6, 2008, 12:25 AM
I bought one from Bellshire on Gunbroker. So far ~75 rounds through it without a single problem.

Also put a Marvell .22lr conversion unit on it and ran another 50 rounds through it without issue.

Love the RIA...

exdetsgt
October 4, 2009, 11:35 PM
Just got a NIM parkerized RIA M1911A1. Came with a beautifully made 8 round Made-in-Italy mag. Apparently Armscor decided to ward off mag complaints. Took off the handsome wood grips and replaced with black, rubberized Pachmayer wrap-arounds, as the RIA will replace my Glock 17 as a duty gun (never fell in love with Glock triggers) and thus, in a few months, will look fairly beat-up. Took it out of the box, didn't clean/lube it, and shot several hundred rounds with groups that looked just like those of my Kimber.

There may be better buys out there for the money. Presently I don't know of any.

smartshooter.45
October 5, 2009, 10:12 AM
The Tactical is a nice shooter. quite accurate and has most the bells and whistles. the only issue ive had with mine (which was disappointing) was that the rear sight came loose and had to be remounted in the dovetail :uhoh:
got that fixed and its been 100% since. some custom grips and a belt clip have been added.

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr294/gcobbs420/1911/DSC00464.jpg

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr294/gcobbs420/1911/DSC00465.jpg

pablitof@yahoo.com
October 22, 2009, 10:48 PM
I own one and love it. I paid my local smithy to smooth out the trigger, install beavertail grip safety, & refinish the exterior. A great pistol, takes any & all ammo I've tried with no FTE's or other problems.

spd1303
October 23, 2009, 03:17 AM
I love mine. works perfect

pablitof@yahoo.com
October 23, 2009, 05:25 PM
I purchased one and love it. I had my local smithy install a combat hammer & beavertail grip safety, smooth out the trigger, and install CT laser grips. It's very accurate & dependable. I have put a number of boxes of differing ammo through it with no FTE's or other malfunctions. I did the CT laser grips due to the small iron sights. It's a great buy, and with what I've put in it, I still got a great 1911 clone at a great price. I recommend it highly ti all 1911 shoppers.

Glock Holiday
October 25, 2009, 02:55 PM
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x42/Glockholiday/45jpg.jpg
This old generic Armscor has worked fine for me.
I tend to shoot my nines (Glocks,Sigs,CZ 75) much more often but this old gun runs fine and it was pretty cheap.

LWGN
October 26, 2009, 06:05 PM
Have seen two of these recently with defective parts straight from the factory that allowed hammer to fall when releasing the slide. :what: Armscor didn't seen surprised when the gunsmith contacted them about this, so I'm thinking this may be a known issue. I'd advise that if you are going to get one, start by replacing the mainspring, and go through extensive function testing with snapcaps before you put live rounds through it.

BushyGuy
July 8, 2010, 08:12 PM
My RIA is a piece of mother-lovin ****! 150 rounds thru it FTF after FTF, i am using ACT mag that came with it i still cant figure out why its jamming wiht ball ammo.

if it doesnt improve within 100-200 rounds it going up for sale.

Strahley
July 8, 2010, 08:42 PM
I think they are awesome guns, and the best value 1911 on the market

Lvl21nerd
July 8, 2010, 09:38 PM
But you can get a Springfield for like $100 more!

BushyGuy
August 9, 2010, 03:09 PM
MY RIA seems to feed ball ammo better now but they wont feed GDHP's i filled the mag they wont feed one round. It starts to feed the last 3 rounds out of the 8 round mag i am puzzled???

9mmepiphany
August 9, 2010, 06:23 PM
You might get more views, and suggestions/advice, if you started a new thread...this one is 4 years old.

It sounds like it might be time to change out your mag springs

railroader
August 9, 2010, 08:35 PM
I just got a ria tactical. Over the weekend I ran 200 rounds of 200swc ammo. It ran perfect and it's very accurate. On my gun I have 2 issues. First the grip safety sucks. Even though it has the grip bump the safety needs to be completely pushed in for the gun to fire. I shoot thumbs forward and the safety wouldn't always work. I replaced it with a kimber grip safety which works perfect. The other issue is the front sight. The gun shoots about 3" or so high at 20 yards. I like my guns to shoot to point of aim. Armscor doesn't have different height sights so I need to go aftermarket. This is a problem because armscor has an oddball sight cut. Armscor front dovetails are .085" deep( mines actually about .090" deep). The deepest aftermarket front sight you will find is .075". So to make a front sight fit I will either have to remove material off the bottom of the new sight blade or file a flat spot on the top of the slide so the new sight blade will clear the slide. It isn't an easy fix. Mark

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock Island Armory 1911...any good??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!