U.S. Image Abroad

PDA

Hawkmoon
February 8, 2006, 11:12 AM
From an AP story appearing on the AT&T web site:
There were several other small protests across Afghanistan on Wednesday, including one in Kabul. Hundreds of university students, including women, marched peacefully through the capital, chanting "Death to the Danish! Death to Americans!"
Seems to me that our image has sunk to an all-time low when people want to kill Americans because of a cartoon that appeared in a newspaper in Denmark. It ain't like the cartoon was drawn or planted by an American.

Good grief!

If you enjoyed reading about "U.S. Image Abroad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
captain obvious
February 8, 2006, 11:21 AM
They are protesting over a bloody cartoon. There isn't exactly too much of a logical link inherent there.

Said persons opinions of Americans might not be all due to American, nor all the meaningful.

And besides, the "Death to America" chant is such a cliche that it'd be out of place for them not to do it.

middy
February 8, 2006, 11:30 AM
"Death to America" is just used as an exclamation point in some countries.

"Would you like fries with that?"

"Heck yeah! Death to America!"

See?

cosine
February 8, 2006, 11:32 AM
Seems to me that our image has sunk to an all-time low when people want to kill Americans because of a cartoon that appeared in a newspaper in Denmark.

I don't know. There always have been people who dislike America and Americans, no matter that what they are protesting did not have American involvement.

Oh, by the way, In Before The Lock.
(Hint: Off-topic)

WT
February 8, 2006, 11:35 AM
I traveled to Europe twice last year. Have done so for many years.

I sensed that they despised HRH King George of Crawford. They liked Americans about as well as Americans like fellow Americans. However, the mention of King George just sends them thru the roof.

I have 2 trips planned for this year.

CAnnoneer
February 8, 2006, 11:37 AM
That is the inevitable "thanks" we get for the globalist brainfarts of our "compassionate" leaders and the blood of our soldiers.

I say, cut off all foreign aid, bring the troops home, and let the crapluckistans revel in their backwardness and misery. It seems they like it the way it is.

Hawkmoon
February 8, 2006, 11:44 AM
Sorry. I thought it fit under "Political." If I have sinned, moderators feel free to lock or delete.

cosine
February 8, 2006, 11:49 AM
Sorry. I thought it fit under "Political." If I have sinned, moderators feel free to lock or delete.

It is political, but I don't see it really as relating to RKBA or civil rights. Coronach went and locked down over a dozen threads last night that were political, but were not about RKBA or civil rights.

1.) All topics and posts must be related to firearms or civil liberties issues.
2.) Multiple user registrations are prohibited.
3.) As a family-friendly board, we ask that you keep your language clean. If you wouldn't say it in front of your dear old Grandma, you probably don't want to say it here.
4.) Spamming, trolling, flaming, and personal attacks are prohibited. You can disagree with other members, even vehemently, but it must be done in a well-mannered form. Attack the argument, not the arguer.
5.) We cannot provide a comprehensive list of "Things Not To Say".Posts that are contrary to the above policies, or to the mission of The High Road, may be edited or deleted at our sole discretion. Membership may be revoked if such a step is deemed necessary by us. We're a private venture enabled by an all-volunteer staff. Please treat this venue as a polite discussion in a friend's home and respect the wishes of the hosts.

We have noted that the civility of L&P has been plummeting of late. Correlated with this is yet another resurgence of political posts that do not meet the criteria as outlined in the rules of conduct. Just because a post is 'political' does not mean it belongs here. It must address firearms issues or civil liberties issues directly. "Civil liberties are in danger because Bush lied, people died!" and "we will lose all of our guns becuase Hillary has anger issues!" will not cut it. Post directly, not obliquely, about how a given topic has an impact on RKBA or civil liberties.

Thank you,

Staff at THR

It looks as if the mods really want to bring this board back on topic with political threads that are about RKBA and civil rights, not just politics.

See this thread on APS for discussion: http://armedpolitesociety.com/viewtopic.php?id=2488

Feel free to post threads like this one on APS.

TrekkieFromHell
February 8, 2006, 11:50 AM
http://www.emedco.com/emed2/Dept/dept1616.gif

Just a present for the moderators. They have been using quite a bit of these lately and I don't want them to run out... :neener: :neener:

Old Fuff
February 8, 2006, 03:49 PM
Maybe they despise us...:cuss:

But they love our money $ $ $ :rolleyes:

Coronach
February 8, 2006, 03:59 PM
I don't despise you, Old Fuff. But if you want to send me money, feel free. :D

And yes, off topic, for the reasons stated. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "U.S. Image Abroad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!