The PERFECT video answer to any and all CCW critics

PDA

hillbilly
February 8, 2006, 12:20 PM
Watch this news video all the way through.

It is the PERFECT rebuttal to any and all CCW critics.

Folks in Wisconsin, forward this link to any and all news editors and CCW opponents with email addresses.

No need for any other commentary. The video speaks for itself.

http://www.ky3.com/news/2266381.html?autovid=Y

hillbilly

If you enjoyed reading about "The PERFECT video answer to any and all CCW critics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thain
February 8, 2006, 12:27 PM
Wow! I can't beleive this is a local news station.

I've bookmarked this.

Nitrogen
February 8, 2006, 12:38 PM
You know, it's funny. A lot of my (more) liberal friends' answer to the war on drugs is "Legalize, and regulate!" drugs that are currently illegal.

I wonder why the same equation isn't any good for guns.

Great video. I forwarded it to my (extremely ANTI) mother. :evil:

DRZinn
February 8, 2006, 01:16 PM
...but Billie Joe has her sights set on putting the past behind her, and no longer living like a victim.That's what it's all about.

SMLE
February 8, 2006, 11:02 PM
The Sheriff's testimony about all the dire predictions NOT coming to pass was very good to see. The woman whose mother was shot coming around to realize the gun was not to blame and deciding not to be a victim anymore was the best part.

thunder
February 8, 2006, 11:13 PM
Wow thats great. Some awesome commentary. I've sent links to friends and family. Let's get the word out. :D

beerslurpy
February 8, 2006, 11:15 PM
Awesome video.

Arkie
February 8, 2006, 11:33 PM
If ya'll want to keep that news tid-bit,, after you watch it just go into your Temporary Internet files and go towards the bottom and just copy the file to a new folder or anyplace else you would like to save it. The file is called "kytv_CCWhi".

But if you reboot your computer you will have to watch it again.

Just thought I would mention it. :)

ElTacoGrande
February 9, 2006, 12:06 AM
Wow.

If only we could have a few pieces like that in California.

Honestly the only fault I can see in that piece is it seems almost too one-sided.

Nah, but that's ok.

XavierBreath
February 9, 2006, 12:18 AM
Excellent!

Double Naught Spy
February 9, 2006, 12:38 AM
Watch this news video all the way through.

It is the PERFECT rebuttal to any and all CCW critics.

Folks in Wisconsin, forward this link to any and all news editors and CCW opponents with email addresses.

No need for any other commentary. The video speaks for itself.

http://www.ky3.com/news/2266381.html?autovid=Y

hillbilly

I could not get the video to run, so I took a look at the text (which I assume is the transcription for the video, but if not, still interesting.

In the case of the mother being shot in her own home, CCW would have made absolutely zero difference as the mother did not need a CCW to carry a gun in her own home. Furthermore, even if she had been carrying a gun in her own home, from the description, she never had a chance to defend herself. Basically, she was ambushed.

I was really surprised by the data presented in the article...
Records show 43 gun crimes were committed in 2003 in Missouri. In 2004, that number dropped to 32 -- 13 incidents before the law became active in July 2004 and 19 more through December. There were 34 firearms crimes in 2005.

Didn't these data seem very strange to any of you? There is no way in hell that Missouri only had 43 gun crimes in 2003 and that number dropped to just 32 in 2004, no way at all. Not only that, but the reported trend is WRONG for assault-based gun crimes that actually went UP in 2004 from 2003 in Missouri. Then they went up again in 2005. For gun-based robberies, the reported declining trend is misleading.

These data do NOT indicate that CCW is lowering the crime rate at all.

Something ain't right...

Here are the data by year for firearm assaults from http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/SAC/Stats/UCRPublicQuery.html

4368 firearm assaults in 2001
3920 firearm assaults in 2002
4069 firearm assaults in 2003
4389 firearm assaults in 2004
4571 firearm assaults in 2005

In looking at robberies with firearms used, the introduction of CCW in 2004 did not alter the downward trend in firearm-based robberies. In other words, the downward trend started way before CCW.

3568 firearm-based robberies in 2001
3032 firearm-based robberies in 2002
3000 firearm-based robberies in 2003
2893 firearm-based robberies in 2004
2836 firearm-based robberies in 2005

If you think about it, it is pretty naive to think that adding CCW/CHL is going to produce a significant reduction in crime. It won't influence in home incidents as folks can have guns in their homes. Where it will be effective in changing the stats will be out on the street where people who previously could not carry could now be carrying and using their guns for self defense. Given how few people actually carry and given how few who carry may have to act in self defense in any given year, the change in state-wide numbers isn't going to be above minimal chance and probably not statistically valid.

beerslurpy
February 9, 2006, 01:01 AM
They were quoting county figures. It was completely insignificant and way too small a sample size.

CCW doesnt reduce overall crime by much because, like you said, it doesnt really affect people that often. The obvious plus is that it doesnt affect them negatively either.

P95Carry
February 9, 2006, 01:18 AM
Good vid.

Nice to see something that for once does not dwell on ''rivers of blood'' and ''gunfight at OK Corral'' crap!!

In fact the case for CCW is so darned obvious and logical - well to us!;)

cbsbyte
February 9, 2006, 02:49 AM
On most other stations across the nation this report would have been nothing but negative sterotypes of lunatics receiving easy access to deadly weapons. Though it is biased towards CCW, it is nice to see the change of pace from the normal negative news reports on CCW. Plus, the reporter had a nice grouping from her Glock. I wonder if she is a little biased.:)

ElTacoGrande
February 9, 2006, 03:53 AM
If you think about it, it is pretty naive to think that adding CCW/CHL is going to produce a significant reduction in crime. It won't influence in home incidents as folks can have guns in their homes. Where it will be effective in changing the stats will be out on the street where people who previously could not carry could now be carrying and using their guns for self defense. Given how few people actually carry and given how few who carry may have to act in self defense in any given year, the change in state-wide numbers isn't going to be above minimal chance and probably not statistically valid.

I agree. I think you're right. I don't think CCW makes that much difference to the stats. I think the #1 factor is jobs and the economy. Crime goes up when the economy goes down.

But there two important points: First, CCW certainly does not cause crime to go up, and does not cause any problems. The Brady Bunch are still trying to convince us that CCW will result in shootouts, bank robberies, etc, even after almost 40 states are shall-issue and millions of people are licensed. Clearly, Sarah is wrong and we are right: CCW has, at the very worst interpretation, no harmful effects.

Second, it's a victory for the peace of mind of individuals who do carry. That's something which is hard to measure and may not show up in any stats, but that's a valuable part of it.

I have put up a mirror of this video:

CCW video (http://draganddropupload.com/uploads/CCW_video-cfe41fb1ecc6f5034305e56cdcc114b5.html)

beerslurpy
February 9, 2006, 09:30 AM
It teaches the valuable lesson that contrary to popular belief, most of society is fit to carry firearms.

neoncowboy
February 9, 2006, 09:55 AM
Direct link to video file (http://media.ky3.com/video/kytv_CCWhi.wmv)

benEzra
February 9, 2006, 10:42 AM
I think this is the actual file:

http://media.ky3.com/video/kytv_CCWhi.wmv

El Tejon
February 9, 2006, 10:53 AM
Nice find, hill.:)

TarpleyG
February 9, 2006, 11:03 AM
Try this...

http://media.ky3.com/video/kytv_CCWhi.wmv

Greg

armoredman
February 9, 2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks, very nice - saved it too, even though AZ has had CCW for 12 years now. All of you in oppressor states, run this puppy past your elected vermin...

Double Naught Spy
February 9, 2006, 03:50 PM
Second, it's a victory for the peace of mind of individuals who do carry. That's something which is hard to measure and may not show up in any stats, but that's a valuable part of it.

Right, CCW isn't likely to change any gross stats anywhere. However, CCW may allow be an absolute determining factor at the level of the individual.

Be it propoganda on the side of the anti-gun people or propoganda on the side of the pro-gun people, presenting biased results is just plain wrong. Just how good do we really think CCW is for society if we have to sell the concept based on propoganda? We are the good guys in this, right? So should we not settle on the truth of information?

The notion that there was a remarkable change in the gun crimes simply because concealed carry was made legal half way through the year is ridiculous. Merrett is claiming the drop is crime is attributed to CCW and there is simply no way he has any idea why the crime rate he cited changed. He assumes that since one factor changed, the change in the crime rate is the result and that is spurious at best.

Robert Hairless
February 9, 2006, 06:52 PM
Debates over statistics shouldn't be allowed to divert attention from the truly noteworthy aspects of this report: the attitudes of the sheriff and the reporter, and the courage of that young woman who confronted and may conquer her personal demons. These are ordinary, sensible, pragmatic people of the kind we used to think of as the backbone of America and probably still are.

Notice also the matter-of-fact responses of the two other reporters who share the television news desk. I'm astonished by a television station secure enough to air such a report.

None of it is partisan on any side of the issue. It's therefore useful to people who watch that broadcast and are empowered to make up their own minds.

Everyone involved deserves congratulations. So how come people in that Missouri county are considered to be trustworthy, law-abiding adults capable of defending themselves while people in places like Washington, D.C., Chicago, New York City, and elsewhere aren't?

Thanks, Hillbilly.

Sistema1927
February 9, 2006, 07:09 PM
News babe gets her CCW, and makes sure that the audience knows it. Want to bet that she doesn't have to fear walking to her car at the end of the day?

etex
February 9, 2006, 08:46 PM
The truth will always prevail, in the end. As long as it is allowed to be told. Great story!

mbs357
February 10, 2006, 10:41 AM
Unfortunatly, I can't see the video because embedded WMP always crashes my browser.
Could anyone get a downloadable link?

P95Carry
February 10, 2006, 02:01 PM
mbs - I know that prob re the WMP embedding causing browser crashes - it can be infuriating! Fortunately my download manager usually snags the file fast and I don't get too much trouble.

I tried to crunch the file down further but it is not practical - however - I did throw it up on one of my servers for a while so - Just right click here (http://www.thingameez.com/vid-download/pro-ccw-ky3.wmv) and ''save target as'' - to save to your HDD.

Hope this helps.

ElTacoGrande
February 10, 2006, 02:24 PM
mbs - I know that prob re the WMP embedding causing browser crashes - it can be infuriating! Fortunately my download manager usually snags the file fast and I don't get too much trouble.

I tried to crunch the file down further but it is not practical - however - I did throw it up on one of my servers for a while so - Just right click here (http://www.thingameez.com/vid-download/pro-ccw-ky3.wmv) and ''save target as'' - to save to your HDD.

Hope this helps.

I'm using http://DragAndDropUpload.com to host a copy. Here it is embedded in the page:

http://draganddropupload.com/uploads/CCW_video-cfe41fb1ecc6f5034305e56cdcc114b5.html

and here's a direct link to the video:

http://draganddropupload.com/uploads/video-cfe41fb1ecc6f5034305e56cdcc114b5.wmv

colt.45
February 12, 2006, 01:45 AM
that is the kind of thing that is good for the country. pretty cool im showing my dad.

Double Naught Spy
February 12, 2006, 03:05 PM
The truth will always prevail, in the end. As long as it is allowed to be told. Great story!

The truth is good. It is a shame that folks try to improve the truth by lying. It gives the impression that maybe the truth isn't good enough and it discredits those basing their arguments on such misrepresentations. If the truth is so darned good and supportive of pro gun perspectives, then why do pro gun groups need to resort to the same types of lying and misrepresentation with see the anti-gun groups using?

No doubt as they say, keep your enemies close and keep your friends closer.

PCGS65
February 12, 2006, 03:23 PM
The truth is good. It is a shame that folks try to improve the truth by lying. It gives the impression that maybe the truth isn't good enough and it discredits those basing their arguments on such misrepresentations. If the truth is so darned good and supportive of pro gun perspectives, then why do pro gun groups need to resort to the same types of lying and misrepresentation with see the anti-gun groups using?

No doubt as they say, keep your enemies close and keep your friends closer.
Double Naught Spy Are you anti-gun?

mbs357
February 12, 2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the download links, I'll have to watch it later because right now I don't have sound on my PC. =(

Ezekiel
February 12, 2006, 06:35 PM
The video is propoganda, but at least it is our propoganda.

I have no significant issues with the piece, and am happy forward its viewing to others. Some things bother me, but they have little to do with the information presented. My issues with CCW in Missouri are mine alone.

You really need to have the weapon with you if you're going to interrupt a crime in progress...

As long as such statements do not represent a predetermined desire to do so, I'm okay with this. I can just see this rancher drawing down on someone taking a cow, then being left with no option other then to grease 'em because John Wayne readily involved himself. "That is a disturbing idea."

I am decidedly not sanguine with John Q. being turned loose on the streets -- regardless of verifyable "good guy status" -- bearing a baseline skillset as low as 75% hits at 7 yards.

Most folks here could do that blindfolded, using nothing beyond listening and firing in the general direction. John Q., however, is a dumbass. Some standards for reasonable skill would seem appropriate, if you're going to have standards.

If we're not going to have standards, we should just toss firearms at everybody. (Which is a defendable position, it's just not mine.)

If you enjoyed reading about "The PERFECT video answer to any and all CCW critics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!