LONNNNG Arisaka97 needs bluing and scope mount(pics)

PDA

kaboom
February 8, 2006, 02:41 PM
I have a Japanese Arisaka97 sniper rifle from WWII that has rust on the barrel and needs re-blueing.
The barrel and action are over 39 inches long and am looking for people who could properly blue a barrel this long
( I think it needs to soak in a tank while bluing? ).
Am also looking for a better scope mount. It has a folding/swinging side mount from Pachmayer,
my brother-in-law ( it's his gun) says it loosens up and loses zero at the long ranges that this gun
is capable of. I'm hoping to find a rigid mount that doesnt interfere with the bolt action.
Dont have a scope for it right now ( it's been in storage for a long time, scope probly got used for something
else ) so I will worry on the scope after I find a mount that works, will probly go with a 50mm 20X
zoom with BDC if I can find one like that.
Will be posting this around a bit so dont be suprised to see it on other sites ;-)

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4047/arisaka97fulll6xr.jpg
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9462/arisaka97scopemount8sp.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "LONNNNG Arisaka97 needs bluing and scope mount(pics)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
February 8, 2006, 05:31 PM
wOW A Type 1 too bad bubba got to it first theese can be quite hard to find and valueable in original trim. It's bacically a Carcano that the Italians built to sell to the Japanese but it's not a sniper though. If memory serves me i believe that they were used by the imperal Navy and phazed out early in the war.

kaboom
February 8, 2006, 05:35 PM
Yeah I'm finding out more and more today after posting this around.
A Carcano Type I built for the Jap navy in 38 and 39 because Arisaka couldent produce enough rifles. It was for guard duty and special forces ( Marines )

Cosmoline
February 8, 2006, 05:47 PM
If I were you, I'd get rid of that scope mount and see about finding a stock to restore it to near-original condition. It doesnt' look like Bubba got his mits on the irons, so there's still hope for it.

There is almost no way to reblue it back to the way it was. It will end up looking nasty. Just clean off the rust spots and leave as-is.

If you enjoyed reading about "LONNNNG Arisaka97 needs bluing and scope mount(pics)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!