.338 Lapua

PDA

JesseJames
February 8, 2006, 10:46 PM
I've been hearing a lot on this round and all of it has been very good.
I see that Armalite is selling a gun chambered for this one for a very reasonable price. About 1600 bucks.
But, I just don't care for the assault style look of the rifle.
I'm looking for something that looks more like a competition target rifle. You know, with a laminated stock, stainless steel fluted barrel.
Is there a custom gunmaker who can make one up for me?

If you enjoyed reading about ".338 Lapua" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gbran
February 8, 2006, 10:58 PM
Lots of good info here, including misc. rifle makers for this caliber.
http://www.custer.com.au/Lap/pages/338Hist.html

Domino
February 8, 2006, 10:59 PM
Unfortuantely, there doesn't seem like there is a lot of rifles that come in the .338 Lapua Magnum cartridge. You have the AR-30, AWP, and a SAKO TGR-52. I'm sure if you can't find one, a gun smith could surely make one. If you want some more ifo on the .338 and the AR-30, check out these links...

http://www.custer.com.au/Lap/pages/338Hist.html

http://www.gunblast.com/ArmaLite_AR-30.htm

Freelance Tax Collector
February 8, 2006, 11:20 PM
I've heard that GA precision will build a Remington 700 to that caliber. Probably lots of money, but you can put just about any stock you wanted to on it.

MTMilitiaman
February 8, 2006, 11:23 PM
There is also the Blaser R-93 but it shares the tactical look.

Dakota Arms makes or used to make a model called the Longbow. It was presented as a long range target/tactical rifle but had a more traditional appearence. The Dakota Action is essentially a pre-64 Winchester action and I think they dropped it into a McMillan A3 stock.

Rem700SD
February 9, 2006, 01:26 AM
I shot an AR-30 the other day, and I know that I want one. My first 3 shots were in a 3-4 inch group, at 1000yds! Other people make them, but I don't think you can find the accuracy in a cheaper package.

The .338, unless I'm mistaken, uses a magnum length action, as opposed to a long action(300WM and 30-06).

rangerruck
February 9, 2006, 03:48 AM
i think one of the eastern europe companies makes them, dont remember which one, but one of the recent soldier of fortune mags had a story about some specs ops guys taking out three bad guys simultaneously with head shots form this, they went up to check out the bad guys , as they were all wearing suicide vests, and they talked about the devestation of the wounds. also another eastern europe dude made i think about a 1700 meter shot on a bad guy with one of these, 26 bbl, bolt action, dont remember the mfgr though.
check out cz, maybe they got one, or know who does.

Freelance Tax Collector
February 9, 2006, 12:32 PM
The .338, unless I'm mistaken, uses a magnum length action, as opposed to a long action(300WM and 30-06).

On a Reminton they're the same. There is only long and short actions, no magnums.

MechAg94
February 9, 2006, 01:08 PM
Is there only one .338 cartridge? I have seen it listed as .338 Lapua Mag and as just .338 Lapua. I was never sure if those were the same or not.

JesseJames
February 9, 2006, 01:29 PM
Geez, that Dakota Arms Longbow looks just the ticket.
Unfortunately, it appears that the rifle has been discontinued by Dakota Arms is no longer available to the general public. I may be mistaken in this but I'll have to contact the company to verify.
I also noticed that Fabrique Nationale Herstal is producing some tactical rifles for the .338 Lapua. The rifles are truly wicked in appearance.
In all likelihood though, I probably will put in a custom order with GA Precision. If you are going to spend the money, you might as well get what you want. I am also a lefty so custom ordering seems to be a running theme in my firearms purchases.
Or then again, I saw a Longbow on sale on GunsAmerica.com.

xmaster
February 9, 2006, 04:56 PM
There is a picture of a wicked looking rifle in the Leupold tactical catalog that has 338 lapau written on it. By the size of the clip it looks to be on par with a 50 cal in length. The barrel looks alot like an AR 50. I am guessing it is an AR 30.

X

ocabj
February 9, 2006, 04:59 PM
There is a picture of a wicked looking rifle in the Leupold tactical catalog that has 338 lapau written on it. By the size of the clip it looks to be on par with a 50 cal in length. The barrel looks alot like an AR 50. I am guessing it is an AR 30.

X

'clip' does not equal 'magazine'.

xmaster
February 9, 2006, 10:00 PM
'clip' does not equal 'magazine'.

Are you saying a short bullet could be in a wide (long?) clip? So how long is the 338 lapua. I see it has a 300 grain bullet and 2800 mv. That is more energy than a .458 win mag, so it is no pup.

Car Knocker
February 9, 2006, 10:11 PM
Are you saying a short bullet could be in a wide (long?) clip? So how long is the 338 lapua. I see it has a 300 grain bullet and 2800 mv. That is more energy than a .458 win mag, so it is no pup.

No, I believe ocabj was pointing out that "clip" and "magazine" are not necessarily synonymous. In correct firearms terminology, a clip is used to charge a magazine. An example would be the stripper clips used to charge a fixed magazine SKS. Another would be the enbloc clips used to charge the internal magazine in an M1 rifle.

xmaster
February 9, 2006, 11:11 PM
No, I believe ocabj was pointing out that "clip" and "magazine" are not necessarily synonymous. In correct firearms terminology, a clip is used to charge a magazine. An example would be the stripper clips used to charge a fixed magazine SKS. Another would be the enbloc clips used to charge the internal magazine in an M1 rifle.

Oh. So what I put in the bottom of my 10/22 or what sticks out the bottom of an AR, if I call it a clip that is a misnomer? It is a magazine?

X

Car Knocker
February 9, 2006, 11:46 PM
Oh. So what I put in the bottom of my 10/22 or what sticks out the bottom of an AR, if I call it a clip that is a misnomer? It is a magazine?

X

Correct.

10/22 magazine: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG419-1658-1864.html

AR magazine: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG072-1539-1885.html

Through misuse over the years, most often on television and movies, the term clip has become an ever more used substitute for magazine but it is still incorrect despite growing acceptance. It's much in the same vein as the term "bullet" being used when referring to a "cartridge". A bullet is one component of a cartridge although often in popular use the two terms are used interchangeably. Another example is the invariable misuse of the term "assault rifle" by the media and gun-control advocates.

Some may consider the distinction to be somewhat pedantic but I prefer to think of it as my effort to keep creeping inaccuracies in the language at bay.

Crosshair
February 10, 2006, 12:22 AM
Questions:

Does anyone have the case specs for the 338 Lapua?
Would the 338 fit a Ruger #1 action?
What about a Savage reciever? (Long action of course)
What is the proper pronunciation of "Lapua"?:o
What "best bang for the buck" barrel would you go with? Any specific makes?
What is the optimum barrel length for the 338?

Thanks.

MTMilitiaman
February 10, 2006, 12:29 AM

X

The stated Cartidge Overall Length for the .338 Lapua Magnum is 3.681 inches. This is compared to the .30-06 Springfield at 3.34 inches and 5.45 inches for the .50 BMG.

In terms of real-world performance against soft and personal targets, however, the .338 Lapua is said to have 2/3s the .50s effective range in a system that weighs half as much.

MTMilitiaman
February 10, 2006, 12:40 AM
Questions:

Does anyone have the case specs for the 338 Lapua?
Would the 338 fit a Ruger #1 action?
What about a Savage reciever? (Long action of course)
What is the proper pronunciation of "Lapua"?:o
What "best bang for the buck" barrel would you go with? Any specific makes?
What is the optimum barrel length for the 338?

Thanks.

This has case dimensions, at least to some degree: http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=140

If you are really interested in the cartridge you should probably just pick up a loading manual that has it. Sierra's #5 does, as does Hornady's latest.

Couldn't tell you about the Ruger #1 or the Savage although I would imagine if they fit the Rigby and Ultra Mags they should be long and strong enough. I believe the Rigby even has the same .588" bolt face.

I pronounce it Lap-ew-ah but have no idea if this is right.

Can't speak for barrels either though my dad just put a 30 inch Lilja chambered for .338 Remington Ultra Mag on his Remington and it seems like a very well made peice of steel.

And I wouldn't go shorter than 26" on the Lapua considering it has a rather cavernous case. I would think anything from 26 to 30 inches would be appropriate but I've never loaded for the cartridge. That 30" fluted #5 my dad has actually balances quite well and swings like a shotgun, and he is getting over 3200 fps from a 225 gr bullet from the Ultra Mag, which is nearly the ballistic equivalent of the Lapua Mag.

xmaster
February 10, 2006, 01:18 AM
Well Don keep up the good work and feel free to set me straight anytime because all the cliches about knowledge are true.

If you enjoyed reading about ".338 Lapua" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!