I interviewed Martin O'Malley on Assault Weapons Ban!! (next Governor of Maryland?)

PDA

Helmetcase
February 9, 2006, 05:27 PM
Read all about it here. (http://progunprogressive.com/?p=72) I cornered him on some tough questions about gun rights.

If you enjoyed reading about "I interviewed Martin O'Malley on Assault Weapons Ban!! (next Governor of Maryland?)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Live Free Or Die
February 9, 2006, 06:23 PM
I'm glad you got a chance to corner them, but their answers were sadly predictable. Any warm & fuzzy feeling I get from knowing that you made 'em uncomfortable is offset by a gnawing realization that these clowns are in all likelihood going to be running things in MD for some time to come. I hope it's not the case, but I fear it's almost inevitable that it is.

MikeK
February 9, 2006, 06:38 PM
Nice! I'll have to see if any of this makes the news tonight.

Helmetcase
February 9, 2006, 06:47 PM
The upshot is we have Martin O'Malley saying he doesn't mind defensive handguns and that "we have a process in place for permitting". Too bad I didn't get to corner him on how screwed up said process is...but there'll be a next time I'm sure. :)

BigRobT
February 9, 2006, 09:41 PM
He went on about someone using a “9mm assualt rifle”, and I suppressed the temptation to stand up and interrupt him to point out that 9mm is a pistol caliber ...

Helmetcase, they DO have 9MM carbines that could easily fall into the "EBR" category. It still uses pistol ammo, though.

beerslurpy
February 9, 2006, 09:57 PM
I am actually beginning to like you. You are quite a troublemaker.

Spot77
February 9, 2006, 10:00 PM
I am actually beginning to like you. You are quite a troublemaker

Wait til' we teach him the ropes at the legislative hearings. I have a feeling you'll want to marry him after that. :neener:

beerslurpy
February 9, 2006, 10:05 PM
Well I lived in MD for 6 years, so I know he certainly has his work cut out for him.

Norton
February 9, 2006, 10:10 PM
Here's the press release:

Assault weapons ban revived in Md. legislature

Howard delegate promotes bill with Baltimore's police chief at his side

The Associated Press

Originally published February 9, 2006, 5:00 PM EST

ANNAPOLIS // Semiautomatic weapons would be banned in Maryland under an
assault weapons ban proposed today by a Democratic lawmaker.

The measure, proposed unsuccessfully last year, would make possession of an
automatic weapon on the list punishable by at least five years in prison,
unless the owners can prove they legally had the gun before the ban would
take effect.

"These are weapons of war. These are not for hunting," said Del. Neil
Quinter, D-Howard County, who sponsored the bill. A similar bill failed last
year.

Joining Quinter to announce the proposal was Baltimore Police Commissioner
Leonard Hamm, who told reporters that his officers recovered 22 assault
weapons last year.

"That doesn't sound like a lot. But if you ever see one of these things [up
close], they're absolutely frightening," Hamm said.

A Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, which is likely to hear the
bill, said he doubted an assault weapons ban would make Maryland safer.

"Personally I don't see much need for people to have assault weapons or
weapons of that nature, but on the other hand, I see no reason for the
government to step in," said Del. William Daniel Mayer, R-Charles County.

A federal ban on the military-style guns lapsed in 2004.

Live Free Or Die
February 9, 2006, 10:21 PM
What are the chances this thing will pass? How do I prove I owned my semi-autos before the ban? Is there any other state that has an outright ban on semi-autos?

If I work in MD but live in another state, do I pay Maryland income tax? I've disliked MD for quite some time, but I'm here for a while because of my job. I'd seriously consider moving to eastern WV or Southern PA if I didn't have to pay MD income tax.

Norton
February 9, 2006, 10:30 PM
What are the chances this thing will pass? How do I prove I owned my semi-autos before the ban? Is there any other state that has an outright ban on semi-autos?

If I work in MD but live in another state, do I pay Maryland income tax? I've disliked MD for quite some time, but I'm here for a while because of my job. I'd seriously consider moving to eastern WV or Southern PA if I didn't have to pay MD income tax.

There's always a chance that it will pass if we don't actively fight it through letters, phone calls, and testimony at the hearings. We can never take it for granted that just because it failed previously that it will fail again.

I can't answer your question about non-residents paying tax to MD if they work here. I will say that if all of the piss and vinegar gun owners in this state bail out we will see even more restrictive laws enacted. Furthermore, if MD gets worse, it will only be a matter of time before it creeps out to PA, VA, WV. We're on the front lines of the national battle for gun rights in this country and, like it or not, we've got to get in there and duke it out with these idiots.

Helmetcase
February 9, 2006, 10:39 PM
I am actually beginning to like you. You are quite a troublemaker.
Come lobby with me. You don't even know the half of it. Greg couldn't believe I would actually have the chutzpah to walk up to the most anti legislator and grill his ass.

If these folks think their celebrities and don't have to answer to me...they got another thing coming.

But you're right, the work is plentiful and never ending here...hopefully my grandkids will have CCW :what: :fire: :D

Helmetcase
February 9, 2006, 10:41 PM
If I recall correctly, Sen. Giannetti can block it in the house again, much the way Frosh can keep quashing our CCW bills. One more reason we need to protect his seat with all our might.

Mayer's quote is great, but he didn't sign on to cosponsor the reciprocity bill...so who knows.

offthepaper
February 9, 2006, 11:29 PM
If MOM gets the Govenor's seat in Maryland, you're going to be hearing a lot more about lists and bans. This guy is the worst thing that could happen politicly for 2A rights in Maryland. The potential ramifications can't be underestimated.:cuss: :cuss: :banghead: :fire:

Helmetcase
February 9, 2006, 11:42 PM
Oh, I think we could do a bit worse. Jenn Palmer of the NRA pretty much said that MOM isn't great, but he's better than Duncan and hasn't really decided what he thinks yet. MOM at least pretends to think possessing defensive weapons are ok. Apparently his foe Duncan is pretty much outright against even that. He was on Norris's show on 105.7 today, I wanted to call in and grill him about that, but lobbying and doing this press conference was more important.

Then again, the NRA in MD is like a drunk monkey humping a football, so take that FWIW.

beerslurpy
February 10, 2006, 12:07 AM
Come lobby with me.

I'd love to do the political thing someday, but law school beckons. I think I can do a lot more good and donate a lot more money when I have lawyer connections and lawyer money to sling around.

I honestly think politics will be a late-life thing because I wasnt born into money and I also dont have the connections yet that I would need to make a go of it. Hopefully a few years in Tallahassee will remedy that.

I wonder if there is a Federalist Society chapter at FSU. Could I start one?

Crosshair
February 10, 2006, 01:36 AM
Is it wrong for me to think of ways for people like this to get hurt?:evil:

Examples:
Diane Feinstein falling down a flight of stairs. (I really would love to see the look on her face.)
Jessie Jackson getting robbed by a black person. (Ironic?)
Hillary Clinton getting into a car accident with a Canadian who came to the US for surgery to avoid the 6 month waiting period in Canada.(Ironic?)

I'm not asking much. I'm just asking for Karma to hurry up.

Harry Tuttle
February 10, 2006, 01:44 AM
"Personally I don't see much need for people to have assault weapons or
weapons of that nature,"

Sec. 2-15. Same-Arms and ammunition; civilian defense personnel; regulations, etc.

In order to carry out the provisions of sections 2-14 through 2-16 of this Code, the county executive may provide and furnish arms and ammunition to the citizens of the County or to the militia of the state, and may provide and furnish any or all persons engaged in public defense within the county with protective armor and such other equipment and supplies and also purchase, rent, hire and maintain lands, buildings, and equipment as may be considered to be necessary and proper. The county executive may engage the service of persons charged with assisting in public defense and may, with the approval of the council, fix the compensation of such persons, including the payment for services heretofore rendered in connection with the civilian defense activities of the county, and may do all other things needful and necessary to protect and safeguard the people and property within the county from actual or threatened armed invasion or insurrection, and may alleviate their suffering resulting from fire, flood, disaster or epidemic of disease, or other such emergencies. The county executive is authorized to adopt regulations under method (2) of section 2A-15 of this Code to protect the citizens of the county during blackouts, practice air raid alarms, air raids and invasion. All acts done and all money expended by the county for such purposes, either heretofore or hereafter, including the purchase of equipment for civilian defense organization and maintenance, the employment of administrative and technical aid in the interest of civilian defense, the purchase of medical supplies for casualty stations, and the purchase of arms, ammunition and providing and furnishing of telephone service and other service and supplies are hereby ratified and confirmed as just and lawful acts of the county. (Mont. Co. Code 1965, 2-20; 1943, ch. 75, 2; 1970 L.M.C., ch. 9, 2; 1984 L.M.C., ch. 24, 4; 1984 L.M.C., ch. 27, 5.)

so in the event of an emergency, Doug Duncan will issue me an M4 and body armor. Knowing how to use it might require training...

CONSTITUTION OF MARYLAND

ARTICLE IX

MILITIA AND MILITARY AFFAIRS.

SECTION 1. The General Assembly shall make, from time to time, such provisions for organizing, equipping and disciplining the Militia, as the exigency may require, and pass such Laws to promote Volunteer Militia organizations as may afford them effectual encouragement.

Helmetcase
February 10, 2006, 12:00 PM
Nice one Harry. Will you please email that to Neil Quinter's office? Be sure to tell him PGP says hello.

K-Romulus
February 10, 2006, 12:39 PM
The Sun has a good article on the back-stabbing behing the bill . . . looks like Doug Donut got left out in the cold. Garagiola isn't even submitting the Senate version this year.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/politics/bal-md.assault10feb10,0,2366511.story?coll=bal-mdpolitics-headlines

General Assembly

Assault weapons ban sought
Mayor joins sponsor of bill in speaking out for gun control

By Jill Rosen
Sun reporter

February 10, 2006

Mayor Martin O'Malley urged state legislators yesterday to ban assault weapons, something the General Assembly has shied away from for three years running.

O'Malley and the bill's sponsor, Del. Neil F. Quinter, a Howard County Democrat, said at an Annapolis news conference that banning the high-powered guns would make Maryland safer.

"This isn't about hunting," said O'Malley, a Democratic candidate for governor. "This is about removing high-powered assault weapons from the hands of those who would use them."

O'Malley, Quinter and gun-control advocates blamed Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. for blocking their previous efforts.

"It's really time for Governor Ehrlich to stop defying the will of the people," Quinter said. "And if Governor Ehrlich doesn't do it, we need a new governor who will."

Ehrlich, who has been largely silent on assault weapons, has no public position on the issue, his spokeswoman said yesterday.

"This is more election-year politics from the leader of the second-most-violent city in the nation," spokeswoman Shareese N. DeLeaver said. "The mayor's vigilance should begin at home."

Montgomery County Executive Douglas M. Duncan, who is opposing O'Malley for the Democratic gubernatorial nomination and is a longtime supporter of tougher gun laws, was angry that he was not invited to the event.

"Doug Duncan has been on the front lines of banning assault weapons for years. He's put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into the effort to getting it passed," said his spokesman, David Weaver, scolding Duncan's rivals for what he called politicizing the issue. "That's OK if all you're doing is a publicity stunt. But don't try to fool victims of gun violence that you're actually trying to do something to help them."

A federal ban on assault weapons expired in 2004. That year, some in Maryland's General Assembly tried to pass a gun-control law to take its place.

The legislation died in a Senate committee.

Some say this year's bill faces an equally rocky ride.

Sen. Robert J. Garagiola, a Montgomery County Democrat who sponsored the 2004 Senate bill, said yesterday that nothing has changed since last year, when a similar bill introduced by Quinter failed. That why he is not sponsoring it again, Garagiola said.

Instead, he is backing a bill that would set minimum sentences for those who use assault weapons to commit crimes.

"I'm one who wants to get things done, so I'm pursuing other things to improve public safety," Garagiola said. "Why keep spinning your wheels on something that doesn't have a chance at success?"

Baltimore Police Chief Leonard D. Hamm said at yesterday's event that police seized 22 assault weapons last year while collecting 4,500 other guns.

"That may not sound like much, but if you've ever seen one of these things in person, they're absolutely frightening," Hamm said.

Del. Anthony G. Brown, O'Malley's running mate, called on the governor to "lay down his tools of obstruction on this issue and let this bill come out of the House of Delegates."

"Assault weapons have one purpose and one purpose only: That is to kill human beings," said Brown, a lieutenant colonel in the Army Reserve who said he had experience with such weapons in Iraq.

"If you want to fire an assault weapon, do what so many patriotic Americans do: Join the armed forces."

Too bad Brown proved why we enlisted guys don't/didn't think much of many in the officer corps . . .;) (FYI: Mike Barnes, former head of The Brady Campaign, is a retired USMC Lt.Col)

Helmetcase
February 10, 2006, 01:23 PM
I realized that Neil Quinter made a big booboo yesterday, and I called him on it here. (http://progunprogressive.com/?p=73)

I wonder if he realizes that if he had his way, the LAPD wouldn't have been able to go to a gun store and get the semiauto rifles they used to put the bad guys down. :neener:

I sent him an email, and asked him for a response. I rather doubt I'll get one, but I like being the needle in his eye.

My email to him:

Dear Mr. Delegate:

Despite our difference of opinion (and your preference that I not speak at
yesterday's press conference, which I think made everyone in the room
uncomfortable), I can still say it was a pleasure to get to meet you
yesterday. I think by hashing out our differences on the issue of crime
and gun rights here in Maryland, progress can be achieved. I firmly
believe this discussion should be held here in the public sphere for all
to see; I'm sure you'll agree.

At yesterday's press conference, I noticed that you discussed the infamous
LA bank robbery (where the felons used fully automatic weapons and
outgunned the LAPD). I believe your point there was somewhat
contradictory, as I explain on my website here:
http://progunprogressive.com/?p=73

Perhaps you'd care to address the apparent contradiction--that if your
Assault Weapons Ban was in place that day in LA, the police themselves
wouldn't have been able to commandeer the semiautomatic rifles they used
to stop the bad guys from the gun store?

My readers await your response. Again, a pleasure to meet you, and look
forward to working with you in the near future.

Tim James
February 10, 2006, 01:59 PM
Sebastian, glad to see you are spending your time more productively than posting on Corner-Carvers all day! ;)

I just read your blog post. It's funny and sad that the news conference sounded like it was straight out of a passage from Unintended Consequences or Enemies Foreign and Domestic. There, the authors were trying to make their characters sound as ridiculous and transparent as possible, but here we have real, live politicians that are just as stupid!

Helmetcase
February 10, 2006, 02:44 PM
Heh! Indeed, it was almost surreal. Strangely enough Neil Quinter hasn't written me back about his big oops in the PC yesterday. :)

Even my mom, who's a typical suburban liberal (almost as liberal as me :D) and a registered nurse who buys the "assault weapons are scary" thing--and is worried I've become too much of a gun-nut hehe--thought Quinter was out of line and could see the obvious hypocrisy of what he's up to.

The real point that seems to resonate with liberals and conservatives alike: while MOM and Quinter are meeting and railing about the evils of AW's, they're NOT addressing the social and demographic conditions that lie at the root of the crime problem (ineffective revolving door justice system, lack of education, failed drug war policies, etc). They're polishing the brass on the Titanic while we suffer through the results.

Time to dump them all.

As for Corner-Carvers, I have a lot of respect for the people who run the place (Nick especially) but I've got too much work to do lobbying, working on my own site, doing my actual job ;) that pays me money, etc, to do a whole lot more there. 99% of the people who PM me over there appreciate me putting in the contrarian point of view over the last five years and keeping the discussion interesting, but certain moderators simply want it to be a homogenous place where dissent is punished. If they want a level playing field, I'll play along. But if you can be banned even temporarily simply for disagreeing with the prevailing view of a couple of the mods, it's not a fair playing field and I just don't have the time for that petty bull????. No surer sign of a closed mind than someone who gets apoplectic at a viewpoint that isn't the same as their own. :banghead: Lest someone think I'm bashing the site, the place remains one of my favorite spots on the net, but if dissent is punished then something's amiss. My issue isn't the site or even the management, it's that what used to be encouraged is now not even tolerated.

carlrodd
February 10, 2006, 02:59 PM
this is my favorite line right here:

"That doesn't sound like a lot. But if you ever see one of these things(AWs) [up close], they're absolutely frightening," Hamm said

how embarrasing. a lifetime LEO and grown man saying this.

Helmetcase
February 10, 2006, 03:11 PM
He sounded so confused and ineffectual answering that question that MOM and Quinter stepped in to help...the poor guy stepped into a buzzsaw and didn't even know it. He really, really had a hard time articulating why a law that no criminal would bother to obey was something worthwhile to pursue.

Norton
February 10, 2006, 03:40 PM
Oh, I think we could do a bit worse. Jenn Palmer of the NRA pretty much said that MOM isn't great, but he's better than Duncan and hasn't really decided what he thinks yet. MOM at least pretends to think possessing defensive weapons are ok. Apparently his foe Duncan is pretty much outright against even that. He was on Norris's show on 105.7 today, I wanted to call in and grill him about that, but lobbying and doing this press conference was more important.

Then again, the NRA in MD is like a drunk monkey humping a football, so take that FWIW.

Do a Yahoo search on "Jennifer Palmer NRA" and read about how she used NRA resources to file a personal lawsuit against a NC grassroots organization that she claims slandered her. Hmm.....NC grassroots group sued.....MD grassroots group stymied by her behind the scenes work. :scrutiny:

I didn't read everything about the issue, but it seems that such venerable gun rights advocates as Neil Knox took exception to her actions.

CrazyIrishman
February 10, 2006, 05:10 PM
I have seen the list of co-sponsors for this gross miscarriage of our rights. Does anyone a list of Delegates that are on our side?? I would like to take whatever time is necessary to contact the delegates on our side along with any fence-sitters to express my/our feelings regarding this matter.

Although I'm retired and don't have a bunch of money to donate I have a lot of free time on my hands. Why not put it to use for an especially good cause?

CI

Helmetcase
February 10, 2006, 05:33 PM
Crazy Irishman,
We could really use your help in this effort. Please email me at admin@progunprogressive.com. We need more folks with time enough to go to Annapolis and confront the legislators wasting our time and tax dollars on this, and to get the fence sitters to not sign on to stupidity like AWBs.

There are other MSI members here on High Road (Spot, Norton, et al) who will also point you to our lobbying efforts. Check out www.marylandshallissue.org and help us fight the good fight. We need ya!:)

Helmetcase
February 10, 2006, 05:34 PM
Also, thanks to Ron Smith for linking my Quinter story on his website. http://wbal.com/shows/smith/

Norton
February 10, 2006, 05:42 PM
Although I'm retired and don't have a bunch of money to donate I have a lot of free time on my hands. Why not put it to use for an especially good cause?

As far as giving money to the legislators, it's a moot point right now as we can't make donations until after the General Assembly adjourns for the session.

helmetcase is correct, you are the EXACT sort of person we need to be on board. I'm doing what I can, but have to do all of my lobbying from behind a keyboard and can't prowl the halls of the state house.

K-Romulus
February 10, 2006, 09:15 PM
text not yet available

http://mlis.state.md.us/2006rs/billfile/hb1367.htm

HOUSE BILL 1367
File Code: Public Safety
Prior Year Introduction As: HB 948/05 - JUD

Sponsored By:
Delegates Quinter, Anderson, Barkley, Benson, Bronrott, Brown, Burns, Conroy, Doory, Dumais, Feldman, Franchot, Frush, Gaines, Gutierrez, Haynes, Heller, Hubbard, Kelley, Krysiak, Lee, Madaleno, McIntosh, Menes, Moe, Nathan-Pulliam, Niemann, Oaks, Paige, Patterson, Petzold, Ramirez, Rosenberg, Ross, Stern, Vaughn, and Zirkin

Entitled:
Maryland Assault Weapons Ban of 2006

Synopsis:

Designating specified firearms as assault weapons; prohibiting with specified exceptions a person from transporting an assault weapon into the State or possessing, selling, offering to sell, transferring, or receiving an assault weapon; requiring the Handgun Roster Board to compile and maintain a roster of prohibited assault weapons; etc.

One thing I noticed is that the co-sponsor list is missing my three delegates' names this year. :) Maybe my calling and writing actually paid off . . . the total number of co-sponsors seems really small (only 37). . .:confused:

Spot77
February 10, 2006, 09:27 PM
But....but.....I thought Howard Dean said that gun control was no longer an issue for Democrats???:confused:

Did he LIE to us????

Helmetcase
February 11, 2006, 12:02 AM
One thing I noticed is that the co-sponsor list is missing my three delegates' names this year. :) Maybe my calling and writing actually paid off . . . the total number of co-sponsors seems really small (only 37). . .:confused:
Heck, we got that many for the reciprocity bill! Yeeeeehaw!!!

In other news, I won a lunch with Judge Wilner of the MD Appeals Court at an auction tonight. Anyone know where he stands on the 2A? I'm looking forward to grilling him.

bigun15
February 11, 2006, 12:30 AM
How do I prove I owned my semi-autos before the ban?

Take your gun, a camera, and a newspaper. Get a picture of you with your gun and the date on the newspaper clear. Proof that you had it before a ban.

Norton
February 11, 2006, 12:49 AM
I feel pretty confident that if we turn out in the same numbers that we have in the last couple of years, we will beat this back once again. This is a tepid effort from a movement that is gasping for its last breath.

Quinter is facing real challenges this year, both in the primary and the general elections. Maybe this will be the last we see of him.

Helmetcase
February 11, 2006, 01:10 AM
Quinter is facing real challenges this year, both in the primary and the general elections. Maybe this will be the last we see of him.
An aide to another Delegate said that the word around the house is that his seat is in big trouble. He's Howard Co, right? He might get replaced in a primary by a Dem of the same stripe or a Repub who's not great on guns from that district...but we might just get lucky. Quinter can count on the gun community gunning for his seat this November :D.

Norton
February 11, 2006, 07:43 AM
Quinter is indeed in Howard County. I can't speak to the proomary election as I haven't seen anything from his challenger but I can say that Rick Bowers, the Republican challenger, is solid on pro-2nd issues.

PCGS65
February 11, 2006, 10:25 AM
Take your gun, a camera, and a newspaper. Get a picture of you with your gun and the date on the newspaper clear. Proof that you had it before a ban.
Wouldn't a purchase receipt be better? No to throw a wrench into the works but I can get a newspaper from 50 years ago for a gun I bought yesterday.:)

Harry Tuttle
February 11, 2006, 11:37 AM
i should update & finish this project:
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//antis.jpg
i figure highlighting the antigun represented districts
might open the eyes on the non voting gun owners

Spot77
February 11, 2006, 01:48 PM
I guess I'm getting a little too redneck in my age, but I don't see a real man among them.

Helmetcase
February 11, 2006, 05:49 PM
I guess I'm getting a little too redneck in my age, but I don't see a real man among them.
Actually Brown was in the Army; it's even sadder when a guy who was in Iraq comes home to a district (PG) that's also a warzone, but here tells the troops (his constituents) to lay down any and all arms.

He's on my list of people to lobby and ask what they heck he's thinking.

CrazyIrishman
February 11, 2006, 09:58 PM
Whats the regs on getting a copy of your 4473 from the dealer that did the transfer in order to PROVE what you own?

Norton
February 12, 2006, 05:36 AM
Whats the regs on getting a copy of your 4473 from the dealer that did the transfer in order to PROVE what you own?

I don't know but, for the life of me, I can not find the 4473 for two purchases. I'll have to see if my local guns-r-us can make me a photo copy of the the store copy.

Spot77
February 12, 2006, 09:32 AM
They SHOULD make a copy for you.

When I bought my Ruger P95 from A and D a few years ago, Ruger was offering a $40 rebate on the gun. The catch was that in addition to the receipt, you had to send a copy of the 4473.

I guess it's easy to forge a copy of a receipt, but completed 4473's are a little harder.

Anyway, I went back to A and D and they made a copy for my with no problems. This was within a few days of the purchase though; after a few years I'm sure it would be harder.

Let's just keep working to make SURE we DON'T have to deal with this.....

Kim
February 12, 2006, 11:45 AM
Funny I just read an article that said MOM came out in support of a Assault Weapon Ban in Maryland. Good grief. Do you really think this guy is going to buck his party in Maryland and Nationally.

If you enjoyed reading about "I interviewed Martin O'Malley on Assault Weapons Ban!! (next Governor of Maryland?)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!