Russian ammo banned

PDA

Lightsped
February 10, 2006, 03:31 PM
A friend of mine said that a gun salesman, advised him that all Russian made ammo was either going to be banned, or was already banned. Is there any truth to this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Russian ammo banned" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Father Knows Best
February 10, 2006, 03:33 PM
No

mrmeval
February 10, 2006, 03:33 PM
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=allintitle:+Russian+ammo+ban&as_qdr=m3&btnG=Search&sa=N&tab=wn

Nope

A friend of mine said that a gun salesman, advised him that all Russian made ammo was either going to be banned, or was already banned. Is there any truth to this?

Lightsped
February 10, 2006, 03:34 PM
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=allintitle:+Russian+ammo+ban&as_qdr=m3&btnG=Search&sa=N&tab=wn

Nope

That google news link is broken.....

Ohen Cepel
February 10, 2006, 03:49 PM
IF it does happen I think you'll just see more ammo from the other "warsaw pact" counties coming in.

However, I think the story is BS till someone can show some proof.

Love the gun shop guys!

cls12vg30
February 10, 2006, 03:52 PM
Funny, Wolf and Baikal ammo seems to still be plentiful. With all the Makarov boards I monitor I think I would have heard of this before now if it was true.

MudPuppy
February 10, 2006, 04:41 PM
Not true.

I did hear that Iran is buying boatloads of Russian x39 and that's been the cause of our recent "shortage".

Cosmoline
February 10, 2006, 04:59 PM
Actually WE are buying a ton of x39 for the new Iraq army.

Technosavant
February 10, 2006, 05:39 PM
Heck, probably everybody is out buying up a bunch of 7.62 Russian.

The Russians are probably overjoyed that they have something foreign customers are standing in line to purchase. Guess scattering AKs far and wide throughout the globe really is paying off for them.

I just wish it was easier to feed my SKS... :cuss:

mordechaianiliewicz
February 10, 2006, 05:51 PM
TANSTAAFL folks. Unfortunately, the market may drive prices up. (Atleast until someone else comes along w/ cheaper rounds).

In the meantime, my AK has not been getting much action for the past couple of months.

Herself
February 10, 2006, 05:55 PM
I just wish it was easier to feed my SKS... :cuss:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/practice_cfi.htm
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/defenseh_cfh.htm
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=217522

How easy could it be? .22 would be cheaper and I'm not saying Wolf is world beating stuff, but I bought Hubby several thousand rounds of it for his birthday; Cheaper Than Dirt happened to have a sale at just the right time. The little stripper clips are just about free -- I think the shop that sold Hubby his tractor-gun made him take a big bag of them as a condition of the sale. So we're all set, with plenty of ammo and the means to feed it quickly.

...Now just let them paranoid zombies attack! ;)

My local range does ban Wolf and other non-brass-cased rounds. They used to clean, sort and sell the brass to reloaders, but scrap metal prices went high enough that it is cheaper for them to just sell it as scrap. Either way, steel's a no-no.

--Herself

mrmeval
February 10, 2006, 06:59 PM
I just tried it and it works. It just doesn't find anything.

That google news link is broken.....

Kodiaz
February 10, 2006, 07:00 PM
I received 1000 rnds. of 5.56 x 45 on Wednesday and I put in another order today so it is still here

Fly320s
February 10, 2006, 07:05 PM
Nyet, comrade.

kirkcdl
February 10, 2006, 08:07 PM
Our government just bought 8000(IIRC) Norinco AK47 rifles,(Yes,the same Norinco that Clinton banned from U.S. sales) for the Iraqi Army.They're gonna need a buttload of ammo for them.That's where all the 7.62X39 is going for now.However,my local ammo supplier,Outdoor Marksman,got a pallet of it in about 2 weeks ago.I seriously doubt any is left,but you can look and see if you want: www.outdoormarksman.com

Number 6
February 10, 2006, 08:13 PM
Our government just bought 8000(IIRC) Norinco AK47 rifles,(Yes,the same Norinco that Clinton banned from U.S. sales) for the Iraqi Army.

A source would be nice. My understanding is that the US government contracted with another Persian Gulf country to supply the Iraqi army with AKs.

sawpit
February 10, 2006, 08:43 PM
I don' t know about other brands but I was in a sporting goods store: last week and they just had opened three cases of wolf 7.62X39, and i've seen plenty in other places. I don't shoot'em up willie like some of these people talk about doing.I have enough right now to last me about 10 years.:uhoh:

Nicky Santoro
February 11, 2006, 12:39 PM
A source would be nice. My understanding is that the US government contracted with another Persian Gulf country to supply the Iraqi army with AKs.

Likely the source of the rumor will turn out to be some meatwhistle dealer with some inventory and he's just trying to kite the price.

Langenator
February 11, 2006, 01:06 PM
Actually, I thought the rifles for the IA were coming form somewhere in Eastern Europe. Would make sense to steer something like that in the direction of one of our new NATO allies who's actually helping us.

IIRC, Venezuela's Comrade Chavez recently bought a metric buttload of AKs (actually more rifles than his army has troops) and a bunch of ammo for them.

PlayboyPenguin
February 11, 2006, 01:15 PM
The range i use does not allow Russian ammo. It has now gone to making you buy their ammo (which is cheap so I do not mind). I was told the russian ammo uses steel jackets which are hard on the guns.

Father Knows Best
February 11, 2006, 02:09 PM
The range i use does not allow Russian ammo. It has now gone to making you buy their ammo (which is cheap so I do not mind). I was told the russian ammo uses steel jackets which are hard on the guns.

Some inexpensive Russian ammo uses steel cases. I'm not aware of any using steel jackets, which would indeed be incredibly hard on a gun.

Many of the big Russian ammo factories are now offering both brass and steel cased ammo, though.

Optical Serenity
February 11, 2006, 02:12 PM
Lately its been impossible to find .223 or 7.62x39...

The way things are going the people Wolf are importing will need to open a few more factories.

Catshooter
February 11, 2006, 08:28 PM
I have a buddy who's friend was talking to a guy who had an internet site who's mother knows this dude who's uncle was telling him that his neighbor's brother in law works with a guy who once knew a man that used to work with a guy who's brother used to work at Wolf and he said that he had heard that a large shipment of X39 was on it's way, so don't worry.

Cat

Mizzle187
February 11, 2006, 09:18 PM
I have a buddy who's friend was talking to a guy who had an internet site who's mother knows this dude who's uncle was telling him that his neighbor's brother in law works with a guy who once knew a man that used to work with a guy who's brother used to work at Wolf and he said that he had heard that a large shipment of X39 was on it's way, so don't worry.

Cat

I was the dude! :)

Dave Markowitz
February 11, 2006, 09:44 PM
Some inexpensive Russian ammo uses steel cases. I'm not aware of any using steel jackets, which would indeed be incredibly hard on a gun.

Tons of military ammo has been made with copper washed steel jacketed bullets. The copper wash acts as a lubricant in the bore, and prevents the jacket from rusting before firing. The steel used in bullet jackets is very mild steel, anyways.

I still have some steel jacketed, steel core Chicom 7.62x39. Along with some East German steel cored surplus, it is my SHTF ammo for my AK.

OEF_VET
February 11, 2006, 09:45 PM

No, the Big Lebowski IS The Dude!

Lucky
February 11, 2006, 11:48 PM
Actually, I thought the rifles for the IA were coming form somewhere in Eastern Europe. Would make sense to steer something like that in the direction of one of our new NATO allies who's actually helping us.

IIRC, Venezuela's Comrade Chavez recently bought a metric buttload of AKs (actually more rifles than his army has troops) and a bunch of ammo for them.

There was an entire thread here about the contract for rifles from China. So that one is true, here is the thread http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=136548&highlight=china+iraq+buy+rifles US Army buys 17,000 rifles from China

Chavez, it's hard to tell if he's disarming his people, or arming them. Something about citizen's militias being formed, but those could very very easily be street squads designed to oppress. I guess the deal is that if you have to do what the guy who gives you the rifle says, then it's a BAD thing. And it's better than 6:5 that this is the case, and Chavez is planning to not lose an election, ever.

asknight
February 12, 2006, 03:08 AM

I am the man that the guy once knew! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Russian ammo banned" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!