Scope mounting question

PDA

Beav
February 10, 2006, 08:10 PM
I just got my CZ 550 in and threw my scope on it. The scope is barely clearing the barrel. The closest part is less than a 1/16 of an inch. Is this too close?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope mounting question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ocabj
February 10, 2006, 08:12 PM
Actually, that's ideal. Assuming you have a good scope height for your cheekweld, then you're good to go.

Beav
February 10, 2006, 08:16 PM
Awesome, thank you!

BulletFan
February 11, 2006, 12:13 AM
Unless you're going to be shooting at ranges longer than 400 yards or so, and your scope has plenty of room to move the reticle up and down, like 16 up and 16 down from center....your doing great that close.:D

adaman04
February 11, 2006, 12:17 AM
Consider yourself lucky, actually. I always put on Butler Creek flip-up caps and one height ring is usually just to low to fit the caps and clear everything, but the next one seems too darn high. You're in good shape.

odysseus
February 11, 2006, 02:13 AM
I just got my CZ 550 in and threw my scope on it. The scope is barely clearing the barrel. The closest part is less than a 1/16 of an inch. Is this too close?

Thanks

I just got a cz550 varmint with heavy barrel. Did you use the cz rings? Also I am curious what scope you mounted and the exit bell diameter. I have the cz rings in 30mm. I have heard there can be issues clearing the action too depending on the scope.

rockstar.esq
February 11, 2006, 02:29 AM
Every time I read threads like these I'm reminded of how buying scope mounts is like shopping for women. Women's clothing comes in "sizes" which aren't standardized and don't correlate to even products from the same manufacturer. Everything must be tried on with great care so as not to nix the chance of an exchange. And perhaps most of all, the net result is a drawer full of parts that don't work now but "someday the right outfit will come along..."

Beav
February 11, 2006, 04:31 PM
Ain't that the truth. I have a set of IOR rings that would have been nice to use but they're 30mm, so maybe next time. In fact when I was shopping for rings I was trying to get the actual dimensions for my scope so I would roughly know how much clearance I would need but that wasn't to be found anywhere.

Odysseus, I used Warne medium rings

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=611087

and mounted a Zeiss 4.5x14x50mm scope. The rings give .425" of clearance measured from base of ring to bottom of scope tube.

Also I found that Ken Farrell sells a picatinny canted base, which I might upgrade to down the road.

http://www.kenfarrell.com/scan/st=db/co=yes/sf=category/se=CZ550/op=eq.html?id=fCrXNbgC

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope mounting question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!