Marlin shooting to the right has me stumped

PDA

Lupinus
February 10, 2006, 09:22 PM
So there seems to be a recurring problem with my marlin model 60, it keeps shooting to the right, normally an inch or two. Grouping isn't bad but it shoots to the right reguardless and wanted advice.

What could it be? I don't think there are any problems with the gun itself (least not majorly like a bad barrel or anything) if there were I would think it wouldn't hold half decent groups at all.

Maybe it is something I am doing? Anything shooting the right could generaly signal that I am doing something wrong?

Also just in case Im not doing it right how should I go about adjusting the sights? I have tried and don't think I have messed up adjusting but maybe I am doing it wrong or there is some little tricks I don't know about you guys could help with.

Shooting it open sights btw at varying ranges out to 25 yards.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin shooting to the right has me stumped" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
February 10, 2006, 09:30 PM
If it groups fairly well, but is shooting right, then you just have to adjust the rear sight.

If your Mod 60 is like mine, it has a dovetailed rear sight. You adjust it by drifting it in the direction you want the point of impact to move on the target. In this case you would drift it to the left. Use a brass (not steel) punch or rod and a small hammer and tap it on the right side of the sight at the dovetail with enough force to move it slightly. Test with a few shots. Keep tapping/testing until it shoots to your satisfaction.

If a brass punch isn't available, you can usually find a block of plastic or hard wood to use instead.

Lupinus
February 10, 2006, 09:33 PM
It will move with just a thumb and a lil force and that is how I have been doing it. Maybe it just hasn't moved enough or isn't staying cause I'm not doing the tapping?

Also with the tapping where should the rod be? It has the standard open adjustable rear sights.

Mal H
February 10, 2006, 09:36 PM
Approximately how far to the right is it shooting at 25 yards?

Oh, and you are doing the sighting in with a rifle rest, aren't you? It doesn't have to be a complete setup, but trying to sight in without supporting a firearm is a pretty hard task.

If you can move the sight with your thumb, it isn't tight enough in the dovetail to be reliable anyway.

Lupinus
February 10, 2006, 09:40 PM
at 25 yards about 2 inchs give or take half an inch

and no, not supported on a bench.

Mal H
February 10, 2006, 09:42 PM
Try sighting in supported in some fashion before making any further adjustments.

JohnKSa
February 10, 2006, 10:54 PM
WARNING! BEFORE reading farther, please read the disclaimer at the end of the post.

If you can move your rear sight with your thumb, the odds are that it's not staying where you move it. It should be tight enough in the dovetail that a non-marring punch and a hammer are needed to drift it.

Post a question on the gunsmithing portion of the forum about tightening up a dovetail. I know how I would do it, but the experts may have some neater ways of doing the job.

Here's how I would do it--I would drift the sight all the way out of the dovetail and use a metal punch to dimple the flat part of the dovetail. The metal displaced by the dimple pokes up around the dimple and will hold the sight in place. You want to do this UNDER the spot where the sight sits so it's not visible with the sight installed. If it's not tight enough, with the sight reinstalled, take the sight off and make another dimple that's a little bigger.

Then, when the sight is tight in the dovetail, put it on a rest and shoot it. If it's not hitting in the right spot, then MARK the current position of the sight with a pencil and then drift it in the direction you want the bullet holes to move. You need the mark to make sure you've actually moved the sight, and how much.

You MUST shoot at least 3 shots between sight adjustments--preferably more--to ensure that your shots are hitting consistently on the target.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin shooting to the right has me stumped" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!