Campion shotgun

PDA

Riss
April 13, 2003, 06:21 AM
Have a walnut stocked single shot 12 gauge shotgun with the makers mark CHAMPION on the barrel. Barrel is brown, unknown if that is from its age. INTERESTINGLY, the chamber is opened by pressing down on a thumb latch with the right thumb. This rotates the trigger guard and unlocks the barrel. The safety also engages at this point. Any idea of its age or who made it ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Campion shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jagermeister
April 13, 2003, 08:24 AM
Riss:
Champion is a trade name used on guns made by H.C. Squires, J.P. Lovell and Iver Johnson on shotguns. Iver Johnson made since 1909.

The gun you describe, the unlocking mechanism, does not fit with the Champion made by Iver Johnson, however it may have been made by J.P Lovell. they made dbl & sngle bbl shotguns also. See attachment. Iver Johnson eventuallly bought out the Lovell company

The H.C. Squires made copies of several types of firearms and I believe they were in Brazil.

Based upon the information I have I would believe your shotgun is made by Lovell.

I will attache another photo on the Iver Johnson in another post

JM

Jagermeister
April 13, 2003, 08:30 AM
Iver Johnson Champion

JM

If you enjoyed reading about "Campion shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!