Pharmacy manager terminated for firing at robber

PDA

Captal_de_Buch
April 13, 2003, 08:49 AM
From the Indy Star

KOKOMO, IND. -- A drug store manager who fired two shots at an armed robber has been terminated (http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/1/035636-3911-127.html)

How to contact CVS

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/help/helpContact

If you enjoyed reading about "Pharmacy manager terminated for firing at robber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
techmike
April 13, 2003, 09:11 AM
I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one anywhere, but it seems to
me if CVS won't let the Manager protect himself then they should be liable for protecting him. Something they obviously failed at. Once again I will show my displeasure by spending my $$$ elsewhere and will let them know why!:cuss:

bpisler
April 13, 2003, 10:41 AM
I'll catch hell for this but i would have fired this guy.The 1st shot in the office was justified,the 2nd one wasn't.The BG is running away,unarmed down a flight of stairs into the store and he fires a round to scare him.

techmike
April 13, 2003, 10:49 AM
I agree that the 2nd shot was unnecessary and he should be taken to task for it...but by the legal authorities, not by his employer. That's whay we have police.

El Rojo
April 13, 2003, 11:46 AM
I think the entire thing was justified. You just got into an armed scuffle with a man, he tries to kill you. Who is to say he didn't have another weapon on him? The only way he screwed up was saying he fired a shot to scare the guy. He should have simply said, "I was concerned that my life was still in danger and I was attempting to stop the threat." The rational behind his firing and saying that the 2nd shot "wasn't necessary" is bogus. We weren't there. Any time an armed thug tries to kill you, what ever happens afterwards should be fair game. If the armed thug doesn't completely stop and go complacent, the thug choses his/her actions and the consequences there after. Those two might be dead now if it wasn't for that manager. He saved that employee's life.

gryphon
April 13, 2003, 12:16 PM
If the guy was "fleeing" the second shot was unjustified in the eyes of many.
How is this any different than any other thread discussed here, where you have someone on the street tries to mug you. You shoot to stop the threat, and once the threat is neutralized or is leaving, you have to stop shooting.
As much as I like it when the good guys win one, the good guys are "good" for a reason, they follow the rules.

Captal_de_Buch
April 13, 2003, 01:00 PM
When a guy has never been in a life threatening situation it's hard to tell what he would do..

Let's face it.. fear and anger takes over. How many would do it different under the same stress?

Carlos
April 13, 2003, 01:10 PM
You shoot to stop the threat, and once the threat is neutralized or is leaving, you have to stop shooting.

If I ever have to stop the threat, the end result will be the guy's death, and I don't care how many shots it would take. Then, I stop shooting. Yup, just following the rules.

When you gloves went on, the dude signed his death warrant. Too bad the manager didn't carry out the sentence.

Pisses me off about his getting fired. :cuss:

justice4all
April 13, 2003, 06:18 PM
Carlos, watch what you type. If it ever comes to that for you, and what you wrote is somehow discovered, would you want a jury/DA reading those words?

Tim Currie
April 13, 2003, 09:51 PM
Cool, maybe he'll come work for us at Walgreen's, we can't get enough pharmacists! :)

Andrew Wyatt
April 13, 2003, 10:09 PM
i'd have fired him. he missed. :)

TonyB
April 14, 2003, 02:21 AM
This is interesting because I work for Rite Aid Pharmacy part time and carry when I'm there.A Rite Aid about 3 miles up the road was robber a month ago(although after closing) and this senario has played in my mind over and over.If someone pulls a gun I figure he's going to use it,then I use mine.I'd probably get fired,but my co-workers and I would be alive.I don't know RA's policy on carrying,but the Pharmacist I work with says I can.I haven't said anything to the store manager so he proably wouldn't back me up.
Also I have worked for CVS,they are weenies.They don't care about their employees as much as publicity.I for one would feel safer to shop in a place where the maganger won't take crap from a low life robber.I hope this guys got a great lawyer and sues CVS's butt off.:cool:

Ala Dan
April 14, 2003, 02:54 AM
Greeting's All,

In the wake of this event, I call upon all THR members
to boycott all CVS pharmacy's nation wide!:uhoh:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Tim Currie
April 14, 2003, 02:56 AM
... and switch to Walgreens... ;) :)

blackhawk2000
April 14, 2003, 12:12 PM
Email sent. I specifically mentioned Walgreens as my new pharmacy.

DadOfThree
April 14, 2003, 02:56 PM
Email sent!! I told them I had read the story and wanted to know if it was a CVS policy or a lcal store policy. I told them that if I didn't hear from them shortly I would assume that it was CVS policy and would begin to spread the word. Also told them I wouldn't be shopping there until I heard from them. We'll see.

CZ-75
April 14, 2003, 04:24 PM
Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding CVS/pharmacy.

We appreciate the time that you have taken to express your thoughts on our
company. At CVS, customer input plays an important role in influencing how
we run our business. Therefore, I have advised the appropriate people of
your comments.

Again, Mr. xxxxxxxx, we appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to
inform us of your concerns and have given us the opportunity to address
them. CVS has a commitment to service. Each customer is valued, and we
thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Sincerely,

Kathy Sackal
Customer Relations Representative

KAS1/kas1

:rolleyes:

DadOfThree
April 14, 2003, 05:19 PM
I got the same canned response back so I replied directly to Kathy Sackal. I told her I didn't want a canned response, I want her to answer my questions directly. I have not received anything back from her. I probably won't. I'll let you know.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pharmacy manager terminated for firing at robber" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!