crazy ammo

PDA

colt.45
February 11, 2006, 01:33 PM
ever heard of some crazy ammo happenings/ideas? has anyone experimented with tugsten carbide core bullets? or depleded uranium 5.56:eek:?i have heard of HE 12 guage rounds:D and i also heard somewhere that there was a third would country that had fals and the only ammo they could get was 30-06 so they would pull the bullet, take the powder out, cut off the neck and put the case in the bolt and jam it into the chamber to resise it. talk about a quick way to mess up a gun.

whacha got?

If you enjoyed reading about "crazy ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MarineTech
February 12, 2006, 04:39 PM
I believe there was some experimentation back in the 80's on specialty ammo for use with the H&K CAWS automatic shotgun. As I recall, they developed a Depleted Uranium slug for use in penetrating heavy body armor and lightly armed vehicles. It's been years though and I don't recall which gun-rag I read the article in.

HankB
February 12, 2006, 05:35 PM
Speer African Grand Slam solids are bronze with a tungsten carbide core. They're meant for large African game, and as far as I know only come in .375, .416, and .458. (I can say first hand the .375s work fine, but they're rather expen$ive.)

A smaller maker - Elk Mountain? - for a time was making 300 grain 30 caliber bullets with a tungsten rear core and lead front - this made for a tough, heavy expanding bullet with the same outside dimensions as an ordinary 220 grain softpoint.

JD Jones made up some solid .44 bullets with a tungsten carbide core for African hunting, but federal anti-AP handgun ammo bans put a halt to that.

The original KTW handgun ammo introduced circa 1970 used bullets made up out of a tungsten alloy, 50% denser and MUCH harder than lead. They were slightly undersize and covered with a thick layer of Teflon to grab the rifling - if they were bore size, besides skyrocketing the pressures, they'd tend to swage out the rifling otherwise.

Military SLAP loads included tungsten or tungsten carbide sub-caliber projectiles held in a sabot.

An article by Corbin some years back mentioned that the custom bullet maker could incorporate all sorts of interesting things in his bullets including depleted uranium . . . but unless you're somehow plugged deeply into the military-industrial complex, I don't have the FOGGIEST idea of how you'd go about getting some DU to play with. But I've no doubt the military has tried this.

jerkface11
February 12, 2006, 05:54 PM
The barnes TSX is tungsten cored.

Deer Hunter
February 12, 2006, 06:01 PM
I've heard of "flamethrower" 12 gauge bullets that would spew an extremely hot, extremely large flame onto a very large area.

Also, chain shot for the 12 gauge. My friend got his hands on some one time, and he shot a tree with it. It cut it in two. It was a pretty big tree, too. Something like 10-12 inches in diameter.

If you enjoyed reading about "crazy ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!