PDA

PCGS65
February 11, 2006, 05:15 PM
Boy charged with felony
Bag of powdered sugar nets drug arrest for 12-year-old

By Justina Wang
Staff writer
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/top/2_1_AU10_WALDOKID_S1.htm

AURORA A 12-year-old Aurora boy who said he brought powdered sugar to school for a science project this week has been charged with a felony for possessing a look-alike drug, Aurora police have confirmed.

The 6th grade student at Waldo Middle School also was suspended for two weeks from school after showing the bag of powdered sugar to his friends.

The boy, who is not being identified because he is a juvenile, said he brought the bag to school to ask his science teacher if he could run an experiment using sugar.

Two other boys asked if the bag contained cocaine after he showed it to them in the bathroom Wednesday morning, the boy's mother said.

He joked that it was cocaine, before telling them, "just kidding," she said.

Aurora police arrested the boy after a custodian at the school reported the boy's comments. The youngster was taken to the police station and detained before being released to his parents that afternoon.

"This is getting ridiculous," said the boy's mother. "They treated my son like a criminal ... This is no way to treat a 12-year-old kid."

East Aurora School District officials declined to comment on the case, citing privacy issues.

The district issued a written statement, which said: "The dangers of illegal drugs and controlled substances are clear.

"Look-alike drugs and substances can cause that same level of danger because staff and students are not equipped to differentiate between the two."

The school handbook states that students can be suspended or expelled for carrying a look -alike drug.

Penalties for juveniles are decided on a case-by-case basis, but if convicted, the sixth-grader likely could face up to five years probation, said Jeffery Jefko, deputy director of Kane County juvenile court services.

Juveniles who have prior criminal records also could be placed in a residential treatment program if convicted, he said.

02/11/06
If this was my son I would go to the teachers lounge with the police and have the school principal arrested for supplying a look alike drug(sugar)to mix with coffee. Then to the lunch room for a second felony count of a look alike drug(salt)to put on food.:cuss: :fire: :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "The police state arrests 12 year old boy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
beerslurpy
February 11, 2006, 05:24 PM
Again, the harm comes not from the drugs themselves but from society's reaction to the drugs.

GunnySkox
February 11, 2006, 05:27 PM
Thank goodness we have so many ass-backwards brainless dingbats standing ever-vigilant against the powdery-white tide threatening to overwhelm this great country's moral foundation! Thank God for the government.

Recommendation: Vicious sack beatings for all officials involved.

~GnSx

R.H. Lee
February 11, 2006, 05:32 PM
has been charged with a felony for possessing a look-alike drug, Aurora police have confirmed.
That makes no sense at all. I lived in Colorado (just north of Denver) about 30 years ago and thought the local cops were ridiculous rubes back then. Some things change, some things never will.

joab
February 11, 2006, 05:41 PM
Why was the boy showing the powder to his friends in the restroom?

Why would he bring it to school to ask permission if he could use it in an experiment, did he think the teacher might not know what powdered sugar looked like?

Why would he bring it in a bag like Hollywood puts cocaine in and not the box that it came in from the store.?

Too many unanswered questions and too fresh a memory of being twelve to automatically buy into the kids excuses.
If this was my son I would go to the teachers lounge with the police and have the school principal arrested for supplying a look alike drug(sugar)to mix with coffee. Then to the lunch room for a second felony count of a look alike drug(salt)to put on foodSalt and granulated sugar look nothing like cocaine except for the color.
Powdered sugar does,
Powdered sugar in a plastic baggy even more so.
Powdered sugar in a baggy that the possessor has just claimed to be cocaine even more so than that

gc70
February 11, 2006, 05:49 PM
There are a lot of ignorant people in the world. This news article helps us understand where they congregate.

Bartholomew Roberts
February 11, 2006, 05:55 PM
Definitely not a case of crystal clear judgment by the local constabulary, though I would agree with joab that we are probably only getting one side of the story.

On the other hand the title of this post characterizing this as "The police state arrests 12yr old boy" isn't much better. Some of you need to travel more and get a taste for what a real police state looks like. Authority exercised without good judgment isn't necessarily the same thing as a police state; and I think it is still unclear to what extent this department exercised bad judgment.

PCGS65
February 11, 2006, 05:58 PM
by joabSalt and granulated sugar look nothing like cocaine except for the color.
Powdered sugar does,
Powdered sugar in a plastic baggy even more so.
Powdered sugar in a baggy that the possessor has just claimed to be cocaine even more so than that
joab I think your missing something here IT'S NOT COCAINE.
If I'm driving down the street and a cop is directing traffic and says to me nice car where did you get it I reply "I stole it...just kidding" time for me to go to jail. Because my car looks like a stolen car.
Nice job of stirring the pot.:neener:

PCGS65
February 11, 2006, 06:08 PM
by Bartholomew Roberts, Authority exercised without good judgment isn't necessarily the same thing as a police state; and I think it is still unclear to what extent this department exercised bad judgment.

The first part your right. They are just enforcing the law. Oh the department didn't excercise bad judgement again they're just enforcing the law. The problem is the government using bad judgement in making laws for which virtually anyone can be thrown in jail. That is your police state!

ghost squire
February 11, 2006, 06:21 PM
Why was the boy showing the powder to his friends in the restroom?

Why would he bring it to school to ask permission if he could use it in an experiment, did he think the teacher might not know what powdered sugar looked like?

Why would he bring it in a bag like Hollywood puts cocaine in and not the box that it came in from the store.?

Too many unanswered questions and too fresh a memory of being twelve to automatically buy into the kids excuses.

It was powdered.

Fu@%ing.

Sugar.

Dude.

Soon there will be felony jaywalking arrests with summary incinerations.

AZRickD
February 11, 2006, 06:23 PM
East Aurora School District officials declined to comment on the case, citing privacy issues.
Both the schools and CPS (Child Protective Services) use the privacy canard to hide behind. They are not being silent to protect the child; they are being silent to protect themselves.

because staff and students are not equipped to differentiate between the two."I second the "not equipped" statement. Not equipped for what, is the question.

Remember, Ed-school grads aren't the brightest GPAs on the block. And some of the most statist of them advance to the level of Administrator.

Rick

Bartholomew Roberts
February 11, 2006, 06:40 PM
The problem is the government using bad judgement in making laws for which virtually anyone can be thrown in jail. That is your police state!

You mean the democratically-elected government chosen by the people of Colorado right? That would be one of the important differences between a police state and a non-police state.

strambo
February 11, 2006, 06:43 PM
Juveniles who have prior criminal records also could be placed in a residential treatment program if convicted, he said.

Um, to help him kick his powdered sugar habit? Pretty big monkey to have on your back at 12.

PCGS65
February 11, 2006, 06:48 PM
You mean the democratically-elected government chosen by the people of Colorado right? That would be one of the important differences between a police state and a non-police state.
This happened in Aurora, Illinois.

joab
February 11, 2006, 06:48 PM
joab I think your missing something here IT'S NOT COCAINE.
If I'm driving down the street and a cop is directing traffic and says to me nice car where did you get it I reply "I stole it...just kidding" time for me to go to jail. Because my car looks like a stolen car.
Nice job of stirring the potLet's see you tell a cop that you are in a stolen car and expect to get a free pass.
And saying that a car is stolen, just joking is hardly the same as trying to pass off a substance that looks like a drug as that drug. Unless you carry around your pink slip on powdered sugar or can some how gain something buy trying to pass a car off as stolen.

To all the others I KNOW IT WAS POWDERED SUGAR OK. Sport

It was powdered sugar that he may or may not have tried to pass off as cocaine for what ever reason.

Trying to pass oregano off as pot is illegal
trying to pass soap chips off as crack is illegal
Trying to pass powdered sugar off as cocaine is illegal.
Trying to pass a plastic gun is illegal in some circumstances
Get It

PCGS65
If you are going to comment on one of my quotes please be thorough enough to see what initiated the remark. It's not hard, it's highlighted above my comment

I second the "not equipped" statement. Not equipped for what, is the question. How about not equipped with field testers to determine if a white powdered substance is cocaine and not authorized to test it on themselves
Both the schools and CPS (Child Protective Services) use the privacy canard to hide behind. They are not being silent to protect the child; they are being silent to protect themselves.Pretty much standard practice across the US that the names of minors are not released to the press.

Do I think that it should be a felony charge NO
Do I think that the school acted inappropriately, No they were acting on information given to them by the janitor.

Do I think that the Janitor acted inappropriately, only if it was clear that the kid was joking but even then the kid should face some in school discipline

AZRickD
February 11, 2006, 07:11 PM
Trying to pass oregano off as pot is illegal...Get It?
Oh, I get it. I just don't get prosecutorial over it.

How about not equipped with field testers to determine if a white powdered substance is cocaine and not authorized to test it on themselves
Yeah, how about that? My angle is that they are not equipped to make rational judgements under the "Zero-Tolerance" rubric which forbids rational judgement. Not only don't they have have the ablity to field test for confectioner sugar, they don't have the ability to know that it is a bad idea to have a child's inhaler with the school nurse on the other side of the campus when the child goes into acute asthma -- but they do that anyway.

Pretty much standard practice across the US that the names of minors are not released to the press.They don't need to release the name of the child to answer a few pointed questions. They are in hiding out of embarassment. I hope the child and parents make a mint out of the lawsuit and use the money to over-throw the complicit school board.

No they were acting on information given to them by the janitor.
That's what I call an unimpeachable source.

Joab, first you mention that passing off face drugs (for sale, I assume -for argument- is what the many statues say) is a criminal offense, and then you say you think the kid should face in-school discipline. No felony, you say, but what about a Class 1 misdemeanor?

Your jumping all over the issue as you defend the actions of the brain-dead school admin and police/prosecutor makes it unclear where you stand. Although I must add, I don't think I really care where you stand on this issue.

Rick

Nightfall
February 11, 2006, 07:21 PM
Why would he bring it in a bag like Hollywood puts cocaine in and not the box that it came in from the store.?Do you keep the torn, original bag of sugar sitting on your kitchen counter for coffee/cooking/etc? No, you stick it in a container. If you had to take some sugar somewhere (like, say, less than the 1-5 pounds it is sold as), would you pour out the extra and take it in the open, original package? Or would you stick it in some Tupperware, or for smaller amounts, a Zip-loc bag?

When I was in middle school, we would pour Kool-Aid packs into little baggies and stick wet popsicle sticks/coffee stirrers/fingers/etc. in for an instant, candy-like treat. Being, ya know, kids, I'm sure we thought it was funny as hell to joke about it being drugs. Glad I didn't end up with a felony record. :barf:

The Wo(s)D proves itself once again to be the largest current threat to the individual and their rights.

jazurell
February 11, 2006, 07:52 PM
Very much reminds me of a case in Akron Ohio a couple years ago where an excellent female student brought a paring knife to school to cut her tomato for lunch and was suspended. And these are the staff teaching our kids....where is the common sense here??:banghead:

joab
February 11, 2006, 08:06 PM
they don't have the ability to know that it is a bad idea to have a child's inhaler with the school nurse on the other side of the campus when the child goes into acute asthmaI missed the part where he put the powdered sugar in an inhaler before trying to pass it off as cocaine, try sticking to the issue being discussed
I hope the child and parents make a mint out of the lawsuit and use the money to over-throw the complicit school board.Not likely if the kid did in fact try to pass the sugar off as coke
That's what I call an unimpeachable source.And where did I say he was not an unimpeachable source?
But why would you assume that he is not and the child is? Because he has a job that you consider to be beneath you? (see I can play the conclusion jumping game also)
and then you say you think the kid should face in-school discipline. No felony, you say, but what about a Class 1 misdemeanor?Are schools authorized to prosecute misdemeanors now?
Your jumping all over the issue as you defend the actions of the brain-dead school admin and police/prosecutor makes it unclear where you stand. Although I must add, I don't think I really care where you stand on this issue.I'm jumping nowhere. Show where I defended the police/prosecutor when I said that it should not have been treated as a felony. You can go back and read it real slow if you need to.
Actually the only point that I was making at first was the fact that the kid could very well be lying. And if he is he should face some disciplinary action. Please show me where I stated what that action should be.

I'm sorry if I don't fall lock step in with the rest of the state haters, but it would seem to me that if someone was smart enough to find this forum they should possess at least a basic level of reading comprehension

joab
February 11, 2006, 08:12 PM
Any 12 year old that tries to pass off sugar as cocaine these days or that brings a knife to school because they didn't have the foresight to cut their tomatoes at home deserves to be in special ed.

As stupid as zero tolerance is how stupid do you have to be to blatantly violate it.
A knife in school and she gets in trouble, imagine that

Old Dog
February 11, 2006, 08:46 PM
Okay, the article isn't that well-written, but from it, I do draw the conclusion that the boy DID in fact attempt to make it look as though he was in possession of a bag of cocaine ...

Why? Who knows? Maybe he felt he needed a little "street cred" among his peers.

Yeah, it was stupid. Yes, felony charges are overkill. But so is titling the thread "The police state ..." It isn't a freakin' "police state" that's charging a stupid little boy with a felony, it's a local prosecutor's office that is screwing up badly.

Is it a symptom of a "war on drugs" or "zero tolerance" out of control? If you want to believe so. I think a bit of detention, maybe assign the kid some appropriate research and paper-writing would be sufficient punishment.

Let's keep things in perspective: sure, the school and the prosecutor are going way over the top, but the kid screwed up first. Doesn't make all the subsequent overreaction right, but don't give the kid a free pass just because you don't believe drugs should be illegal. If he hadn't been caught, there'd be a whole elementary school-full of kids believing one of their own was getting away with being a big-time coke dealer/user ... I just don't regard what the kid did as a joke. However, the fact that it made the news is pretty silly in itself.

TallPine
February 11, 2006, 08:51 PM
Look-alike drugs and substances can cause that same level of danger because staff and students are not equipped to differentiate between the two
Does that level of phobia remind you of anything else ..... ;) :(

Geez ... the kid is 12 years old ! Just how rare is it for a sixth grader to make a smart alec remark ....? :rolleyes:

Now I don't blame the school officials for checking it out, but couldn't they just taste it after the kid explained that it was sugar and he was just joking???

I guess that from the age of 6 every kid is now expected to have an attorney on retainer, and have the maturity and wisdom of a 30 year old.

El Tejon
February 11, 2006, 08:59 PM
Good to hear we are getting serious about childhood obesity and arresting for Possession of Sugar!

"Up against the wall, fattie! Now, you tub of goo, here's a jump rope--exercise.":D

AZRickD
February 11, 2006, 09:16 PM
try sticking to the issue being discussed
The issue is stupid acts by over-reacting ZT government employees.

Because he has a job that you consider to be beneath you?I imagine the janitor being cross-examined. Next witness.
Are schools authorized to prosecute misdemeanors now? You're smarter than that, Joab. This thread is about stupidity in government at all levels. The school can suspend the student for a year. It can also refer to the local constabulary. The next level of stupid goverment can take it from there.
I'm jumping nowhere. Show where I defended the police/prosecutor
Just wondering where you come down on all of this. It's not that I really care about your opinion; it's just the vague writing that is puzzling. Are you being vague on purpose?

A knife in school and she gets in trouble, imagine that
When I was in school it would be very hard to imagine since we brought knives and even guns and hunting bows to school. I'm wondering where you get off sentencing a six-year old (or a 14-year old) to expulsion for bringing a butter knife to school? So now you're advocating for a school life of Special Ed for a bag of sugar? How silly.

Debating you is hardly worth the effort.

Rick

joab
February 11, 2006, 09:34 PM
I imagine the janitor being cross-examined. Next witness.And that means what, that he is too stupid to express himself under cross examination???
The school can suspend the student for a year. It can also refer to the local constabulary. The next level of stupid government can take it from there.And which one of those constitutes in the school disciplinary action that I wrote about?
Are you being vague on purpose?
Where am I being vague? Not a felony, lesser disciplinary action is indicated. I've actually been pretty consistent.
When I was in school it would be very hard to imagine since we brought knives and even guns and hunting bows to school.And are you stupid enough to allow your child to do it now and not expect some repercussions.
And unless you were in school last week then your comment is pointless. I'm wondering where you get off sentencing a six-year old (or a 14-year old) to expulsion for bringing a butter knife to school? Where have I sentenced anybody to anything and where has a butter knife been even mentioned? So now you're advocating for a school life of Special Ed for a bag of sugar? How silly.Read the article again and my comments. No punishment was given or advocated for bringing sugar to school. How reading noncomprehensive
Debating you is hardly worth the effort.You were debating? I thought you were just throwing baseless accusations around. Try sticking to things that have actually been said instead of trying to read into them.

The kid is in trouble for implying that he had cocaine, which is the issue that I have addressed. Don't try to sidestep that by whining about sugar

KriegHund
February 11, 2006, 09:36 PM
The district issued a written statement, which said: "The dangers of illegal drugs and controlled substances are clear.

I issue a written statement to you morons-

"The dangers of a paranoid over-controlling society are clear"

When will the idiocy end!

Im to angry to continue/

JohnBT
February 11, 2006, 09:47 PM
"As stupid as zero tolerance is how stupid do you have to be to blatantly violate it."

Ha. That's so true. Sad, but true.

Now, if the principal and a couple of cops had each snorted a couple of lines they would have known it was sugar. :scrutiny: Then again, it might have been rat poison.

John

LAR-15
February 11, 2006, 09:50 PM
I smell a huge lawsuit and the school board losing bigtime!

AZRickD
February 11, 2006, 09:54 PM
And that means what, that he is too stupid to be cross examined???Just a hunch.
Unless the janitor is working his way through Ed-school.

And which one of those constitutes in the school disciplinary action that I wrote about?
Well, that's the problem. You didn't. Would you advocate expulsion? In-school suspension? Writing, "I shall not bring sugar in a baggy again" 1,000 times?

Where have I sentenced anybody to anything and where has a butter knife been even mentioned?
If one is going to discuss Z-T stupidity, one must be aware of the specific instances (suspension for butter knife being one such example).

.And are you stupid enough to allow your child to do it now and not expect some repercussions.
And unless you were in school last week then your comment is pointless.

Being able to "expect" repercussions does not make the repercussions justified. It is merely an intellectual bow to brute force of government and B.Ed graduates.

In toto, my comment is not pointless at all. It serves to show how far Ed.gov has gone into the toilet. I would expect no repercussions for sugar in a Ziplock bag. I would expect no repercussions if the student off-handedly joked that the sugar was actually cocaine. Now, if he were actually selling the sugar as cocaine, that's a different matter.

As far as guns in schools, heck, I'm trying to get Hschool highpower rifle teams started up. I'd have no problem with Joey bringing his gun to school for hunting or target practice. Here are some old and recent example here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62602&page=1&pp=25&highlight=stories

Read the article again and my comments. No punishment was given or advocated for bringing sugar to school. How non reading comprehensive

What on Earth are you talking about? The kids was suspended for two weeks. He was arrested and charged with a felony (five years of probaton). You said there should be "repercussions."

Two other boys asked if the bag contained cocaine

That the charge is for him saying "Yeah. Just kidding" when a couple of boys asked if it was cocaine doesn't make the actions of these government officials any less stupid.

I'm done with you, Joab. You're a waste of my time.

Rick

KriegHund
February 11, 2006, 10:00 PM
http://zerointelligence.net/

Justin
February 11, 2006, 10:29 PM

Don't blame me. I voted for the lesser of two evils.

Standing Wolf
February 11, 2006, 10:36 PM
On the proverbial "bright side," I'd say the lad has probably learned some very important, fundamental lessons about American government and education.

Art Eatman
February 11, 2006, 10:48 PM
Looks like baseless :barf: to me...

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "The police state arrests 12 year old boy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!