An idea for Oleg's birthday. Effort back in swing...Oleg keep out! ;)

PDA

Sheslinger
April 13, 2003, 10:35 AM
Hello

Have an idea for Oleg's birthday gift and need some advice. I will wait for Oleg and Runt to respond that they will stay out of this thread so that I can collaborate...

Thanks
Sheslinger

If you enjoyed reading about "An idea for Oleg's birthday. Effort back in swing...Oleg keep out! ;)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oleg Volk
April 13, 2003, 11:44 AM
I'll stay out and even call my spies back. "Heya, MrJeb338mag, please come back from the cold!"

Sheslinger
April 13, 2003, 06:37 PM
Oleg really liked Cslinger's P7M8 yesterday and even made a comment that he would like to have one but he would have to trade a couple of guns in. Well, we just could not let this happen, could we?

So, I was thinking that if 100-200 people put some money together, we could buy him one for his birthday and as a Thank You from THR for all the work he has done for us. We can get one for about $1200 ($10 a person if a hundred people were in is not too bad), and it would be a really nice momento from THR. Cslinger said that if the gun was not so much money, we could engrave it with "THR 2003" but then we thought we could get the mags engraved without devaluing the firearm.

So, what do you think? Is this too crazy or could it actually work? I was thinking Paypal account where we could keep adding money in. If we got too much or not enough, we would just refund so that per person average remained the same. We have about 10 days to get this done.

Let me know - PM or email.
Thanks
Sheslinger

ajacobs
April 13, 2003, 07:18 PM
btt

Don Gwinn
April 13, 2003, 07:31 PM
I'd go in for that.

OF
April 13, 2003, 07:40 PM
I could do $10. And I would go with the engraving. This is not the kind of gun that's likely to end up for sale. It'll be worth more to him engraved than not, I would wager.

I think the paypal idea is a good one.

- Gabe

sm
April 13, 2003, 07:51 PM
Check your e-mail

Sven
April 13, 2003, 10:34 PM
im in

Preacherman
April 13, 2003, 10:55 PM
I'm in - and not just for $10, either. Let me know when you're ready to roll.

Gewehr98
April 13, 2003, 11:07 PM
was to be the owner of a popular online gun forum, Giddy-up!

ReadyontheRight
April 13, 2003, 11:14 PM
I'm in. Let us know where to send the $$.

twoblink
April 13, 2003, 11:15 PM
As much as I'm for the idea; I have to go with something like a ticket to ThunderRanch...

But otherwise, I'm in!

Sheslinger
April 13, 2003, 11:42 PM
we are going to give it until end of day tomorrow to get an idea if this is even doable. I will then post the paypal account number and our address for those of you who asked about money orders. Hopefully, we will have enough money by next Monday, the 21st, so we can have 3 days to get our ducks in a row.

Gunsamerica had some decent deals, last time I checked.

I will be posting updates throughout all of next week. If we don't have enough money by next Monday, we'll still have enough time to come up with an alternative if we put our collective THR brainpower together.

Thank you again, you're a great bunch of people
Julie

craigz
April 13, 2003, 11:51 PM
Just FYI, have you guys seen Paypal's new acceptable use policy?

Firearms, Ammunition, Replicas, and Militaria Policy

You may not use PayPal to sell any firearm manufactured after 1898. Certain related items and high-capacity ammunition magazines are also prohibited, as described in more detail below. In addition, it is the responsibility of users to abide by all applicable laws when dealing with the sale of permitted antique firearms, ammunition, replicas, militaria and other associated items.

What is not permitted?

Firearms
You may not use PayPal to sell or advertise any firearms produced after 1898. This includes all "pre-ban," sporting, collectible, and curio and relic (C&R) firearms, regardless of their present capability to fire a shot.

Related items
In addition, you may not use PayPal to sell or advertise kits (that can be used to create a firearm) or illegal firearm components such as silencers, converters (which converts a firearm to automatic capability), and short barrels.

Ammunition
You may not use PayPal to sell or advertise high capacity magazines (magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds). In addition, sellers of other ammunition with propellant (such as gunpowder) are responsible for abiding by all laws and postal regulations.

Ordnance
In general, you may not use of PayPal in conjunction with the sale of ordnance (military weaponry, ammunition, and related parts) unless you can provide official documentation from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) stating that the item is unserviceable or demilitarized. Contact your local ATF office for more details on obtaining such documentation. You can also visit the ATF website for general information about firearms laws.

Grenades
You may not use PayPal to sell grenades, including metal military practice grenades, rifle grenades, dummy grenades, grenade launcher attachments, and mines. However, such items will be permitted if they are a relic, curio, memorabilia, or display item that is filled with a permanent inert substance or that is otherwise permanently altered in a manner that prevents ready modification for use as a grenade.

Replicas without proper markings
You may use PayPal to sell firearm replicas, look-alikes and imitations as long as they comply with Federal and state laws that require such items to have clear markings permanently affixed to the weapon. The most common requirement is a blaze orange plug inserted in the barrel of the item. This law applies even to novelty items, such as cigarette lighters, that are designed to look like firearms.

What is permitted?

You may use PayPal to sell antique firearms (before 1898) and most legal firearm components. This includes firearm related accessories, such as holsters, scopes, and ammunition without propellant.

Blank guns, replica or imitation guns, paintball guns, and "airsoft" guns may be listed provided that:
The item does not, and cannot be readily altered to, shoot a lethal projectile

The receiver is not a firearm as classified by law. See U.S. Code Title 18, Section 921

The replica or imitation gun has the legal markings required by law AND blank ammunition is not included in the sale. See U.S. Code Title 15, Section 5001
Even if the above conditions are met, PayPal does not permit the advertisement or sale of antique firearms or legal firearm components products on websites listed in PayPal Shops.

WhoKnowsWho
April 14, 2003, 05:54 AM
I'm in, for only $10 and as much info and entertainment... sure.

And the pay pal... we don't have to actually use that account to pay for the gun, just hold the money. No biggie.

techmike
April 14, 2003, 07:26 AM
I'm in, for only $10 and as much info and entertainment... sure.

What he said:cool:

Kentucky Rifle
April 14, 2003, 08:32 AM
Don't forget me! I'm in too. Just tell me where and when. About a hundred people? THAT should be easy!

Kentucky Rifle (Will)

Sheslinger
April 14, 2003, 09:32 AM
Are we still on thin ice even if we just use it to hold the money? Would they issue the account holder a check? Are we better off with money orders? Also, think about straw purchases - do we need to get Runt involved last minute if we have the money to have her buy it in her name? Or do I buy it and give Oleg a bill of sale?

Thanks
Sheslinger

Gewehr98
April 14, 2003, 09:33 AM
Send Oleg to Thunder Ranch, or LFI, or start him on a lifetime NRA membership.

Buying him a high-end autopistol sends the wrong message, especially when there's folks perusing this board who have a hard enough time scratching up money for a Hi-Point. Or viewers who were sent to THR on a recommendation for RKBA issues, and aren't necessarily aware that there is a Nashville Chapter of the Oleg Volk fan club.

Hence my recommendation for the training courses. Oleg can turn those back around towards the board, a value-added bonus for what the board stands for, without any appearances of impropriety or adulation from the fan club.

Now, if you're dead-set on buying him the autopistol, perhaps it would be more discrete to go PM or off-forum with it.

Steve Smith
April 14, 2003, 09:42 AM
#1 I'm in.

#2 I doubt Paypal will turn away money in their pockets, and they certainly aren't going to keep money that's not theirs. Besides, it a company rule, not a law. I say use them anyway. Call it a P7M8 fund and be done with it.

Yes, I realize that I'm suppoirting a non-gunny company. Show me the pro-gun Paypal. You can't, and we all know that gun folks are too disorganized to ever do it right anyway. Let's use Paypal.

Billy Sparks
April 14, 2003, 09:45 AM
I see merit in both the P7M8 and the training issue. Just let me know what the decision is as to how or what.

craigz
April 14, 2003, 10:33 AM
I don't think there would be a problem actually using Paypal. I just question whether you all want to give them some of your money. I sure don't. However, if you restrict the donations to bank account transfers only (no credit cards), there's no service charge. Otherwise, 3% goes in their pockets.

Sheslinger
April 14, 2003, 10:41 AM
is because it is not something Oleg would buy for himself this minute but it is something he definitely wants. I am not sure if he is already an NRA member or if he even wants to be one. I am not sure how to go about the ThunderRanch or anything like that. It is hard to guess people's wants so when you know they definitely want something, it makes it a perfect gift.

Yes, I realize that it is a very expensive gun and that some people here are not able to afford a $400 gun. That is why we were hoping that we can find 100-120 people who were willing to contribute and support the idea in the first place. I remember us being a bit lost and down at Christmas when TFL closed and how relieved everyone was when THR opened. This is not to idolize Oleg or start a fan club or say that some people deserve to get an expensive gift and not others. We thought that $10 a person seemed like a small token of appreciation for everything we have been enjoying here on THR. I guess I am not explaining this too well but to have a momento from THR members that he can keep will probably mean something when a one time trip somewhere is not a tangible memory to look at and play with.

By all means, a lot of people here do not know Oleg or the history behind this forum and should not feel obligated in any way to contribute. We were just hoping that there were just enough of those who would like to do this together.

I hate it sometimes when people at work or somewhere else collect money for a good cause and you feel obligated to pitch in because you feel guilty if you don't because of people around you. Please do not think that this is one of those, just a bunch of friends pitching in for a gift for another friend.

If more of you feel that another alternative is a lot better, please bring it up.

Thanks
Sheslinger

Benjamin
April 14, 2003, 10:42 AM
That sounds like a really nice thing to do.

I'm in.

Sheslinger
April 14, 2003, 10:46 AM
Please feel free to PM or email if you think we are sending the wrong message and this is turning into "Oleg adoration thread". That was not my intention.

Thanks

bogie
April 14, 2003, 10:54 AM
Well, PM me with the address to send a check to.

NEVER get someone something for their birthday that they'd get for themselves.

Zak Smith
April 14, 2003, 11:13 AM
I'm in for $10-20. Let me know what/when/where.

-z

cslinger
April 14, 2003, 11:41 AM
Since it seems like there is a reasonable amount of interest in this I will give you the paypal account that I have set up.

it is under ferris47@comcast.net

Please make sure to give your name, address, THR user name and any other pertinent information so we can both credit you on the card and refund your money if this doesn't work out.

I will have sheslinger email the individuals with our mailing address who do not want to use paypal.

I realize paypal is anti gun but IMO, it is simply the best option for these circumstances.

If you would like to add a personal not to Oleg for his birthday put that in the email to the paypal account or in the mail to us and we will print them and give them to Oleg. I think that would be really cool since he said that he has no need for LOOT but would really like to have a lot of friends there. Since we are spread all over the country this is the easiest way to have LOTS of THR buddies show up for his party.

Once again please make sure you give us all of your pertinent information so we can make sure we only get enough money for our needs. Any amounts over and beyond will be refunded in a manner that lets everybody pay a minimum amount. We also want to make sure that if for some reason this falls through we can refund everybody's money quickly and easily.

I don't really view this as us simply buying a gun for Oleg but more of a donation to THR. Oleg and a few others have put considerable time, money and effort into this forum and that is money that could have been spent on other things. The P7 happens to be one of those things. We are really just donating a little bit of money to reimburse him for our wonderful THR board.

Chris

If for some reason we are grossly short by next Monday we will post a poll as to what to do with the money, the Thunder Ranch training is an excellent alternative that would be listed.

Thanks for taking the time to check this thread out and have a great day everybody.

If anybody would just like to email me with a not or picture or something for Oleg's bday we will make sure that goes in the card or gets to him also. Don't feel like you have to contribute money, as good wishes are worth just as much.

Steve Smith
April 14, 2003, 12:01 PM
Money sent.

Billy Sparks
April 14, 2003, 12:05 PM
Steve you beat me by 30 seconds

Greg L
April 14, 2003, 12:12 PM
I'm in.

It's certainly worth that little bit to show my appreciation for having a place to hang out and talk guns.

Greg

spacemanspiff
April 14, 2003, 12:14 PM
i'm in...payment made.

edit - i made it out as a "goods-non auction" payment, paypal wouldnt proceed for 'quasi-cash', kept saying my credit card could charge me extra for it.
hope that doesnt screw things up for the payment. or does it matter?

critter
April 14, 2003, 12:16 PM
Lets go for it.

dav
April 14, 2003, 12:40 PM
Thanks for trying this, CSlinger/Sheslinger. I hope it all works out.

cordex
April 14, 2003, 12:45 PM
Done.

spiff,
Don't think designation matters. I sent it as a "service".

DeputyVaughn
April 14, 2003, 12:54 PM
Although I'm not going to be buying High Point pistols, I'll never be able to get a P7. However I don't have a problem with getting one for Oleg. I don't know why anyone would. $10.00 for a birthday gift is no big deal. If he gets something extra nice and he wants anyway, all the better. Oleg has provided us a great home here and I am happy to do something nice for him.

Scott A. Vaughn

spacemanspiff
April 14, 2003, 01:05 PM
hey, maybe he'd make all whose names are on the card mods! hehehe....:D

DeputyVaughn
April 14, 2003, 01:17 PM
My donation is sent. Thanks forthe opportunity.

Scott

Correia
April 14, 2003, 02:16 PM
Paypal has been sent.

ReadyontheRight
April 14, 2003, 03:02 PM
Paypal $$ sent. I vote for some form of metal and wood.

Navy joe
April 14, 2003, 03:31 PM
I'm in for the P7 idea provided I get to shoot it if I'm ever down that way. Definitely engraved. I say pistol and not some other alternative as mentioned, because this has nothing to do with Oleg's work nor what he will continue to do for RKBA. It's his birthday and he's given us all a valuable resource, love to give something back.

EDIT: Money sent

Zak Smith
April 14, 2003, 03:47 PM
paypal sent.

cslinger
April 14, 2003, 03:54 PM
If you are ever in town you can shoot my P7 if this falls thorugh or he won't let you shoot his.

Heck I'll even let you buy the ammo:D Ok I'll throw in a box.

Chris

JPM70535
April 14, 2003, 03:59 PM
Count me in. I get great enjoyment from THR and learn something new every day. Just tell me where to send the MO.

I do not want to use paypal.

QuarterBoreGunner
April 14, 2003, 05:40 PM
I'm all over that.

PayPal sent.

For all the information/feedback and various coffee sprays on the monitor moments, I'd love to give something back.

cslinger
April 14, 2003, 06:27 PM
that you do not have to send any money. If you just want to send a card or email something to us we will be happy to put that in the gift. My guess is that Oleg will appreciate that more than any "LOOT".

Anyway I haven't been emailing individuals to thank them because I have been busy and quite a few of you have responded or donated.

Currently we have around $150 not including whatever Jules and I put into it.

Thanks again.

Chris

Schuey2002
April 14, 2003, 06:34 PM
Just tell me where to send the MO.
Ditto! I no longer have my Paypal account. May I "snail mail" you a money order?? :)

Darrin
April 14, 2003, 07:02 PM
I could do $10. And I would go with the engraving. This is not the kind of gun that's likely to end up for sale. It'll be worth more to him engraved than not, I would wager. I agree about the engraving.

This is a gift from his friends. I haven't met Oleg yet, but if I created a forum that hundreds of people were using, then to receive a "thank you gift" from those people, I would never get rid of that gift. Hell, it could be a Hi Point inscribed with "Screw you!" and I'd keep it just because someone went to that much trouble.

That's just my opinion, I'll go back to my hole. ;)

Erik Jensen
April 14, 2003, 07:04 PM
I'm in..

paypal sent.

it's a free forum, but the information that we get here is worth this small gesture to the man who started the site, methinks.

techmike
April 14, 2003, 07:17 PM
I don't see this as an Oleg Fan Club...it's just a nice way for a few people to say Thanks! BTW I vote for the pistol...what a great Gift. If anyone wants to start a techmike birthday fund a P7M8 would be fine for me too!:D

keyhole
April 14, 2003, 07:17 PM
PayPal sent- With best wishes! now just have to get back out to the range!:p

Bowlcut
April 14, 2003, 08:27 PM
Im in, i know the info ive gotten here so far is worth 10 bucks or more. transfering some money over to pay pal now....no credit cards and it wont let me add my debit card....so will be a day or two id say.

Bowlcut
April 14, 2003, 08:34 PM
Acutaly it will be quicker to pm me an address, ill get a money order for atleast 20 in the mail tomorrow and since we are all in nashville it wont take but a day to get to you. pay pal is slow adding money sometimes. so ill pm you....

cslinger
April 14, 2003, 10:08 PM
If anybody is mailing us checks or money orders just make them payable to Christopher R. Kornmann.

God I feel like a televangelist. Well I can't guarantee you will get into heaven but I am sure Oleg will appreciate it.

Chris

Schuey2002
April 14, 2003, 10:12 PM
Thanks for sending me a mailing address. ;)

SaintofKillers
April 14, 2003, 10:59 PM
I am in let me know where to send the money to.

twoblink
April 15, 2003, 01:17 AM
Here's my viewpoint on the P7 vs Training.

Well, first, on the birthday situation.

Never buy someone for their birthday something they want; they can do that themself; buy them something they need.

Second, buy him and gun, and he has to feed it for life..

Teach him how to use a gun, and he will feed others knowledge for life.

So I'm still voting for Training..

Also, Oleg needs training, because everybody benefits from Oleg getting training, he can comment on the board and "return to the community" vs. a P7 which will benefit only a few.

BerettaNut92
April 15, 2003, 01:20 AM
I'm in, and so is the chick I haven't met yet :D

cslinger
April 15, 2003, 09:45 AM
You have a PM.

Any of you guys sending anything by mail might wanna put in a picture too if you have one. That would be pretty cool.

I am not sure how we are going to do the card just yet but Jules and I are thinking about getting one of those gigantic cards and scribing all of your personal notes into it for Oleg.

Or we may just print them out to make them easier to read. Not sure which just yet.

Thanks again.

Once more if things don't work out as planned we will post a poll as to what to do with the collected money by say Sunday.

Chris

OF
April 15, 2003, 10:50 AM
PayPal sent. If you can get the P7 engraved, I think that would be worth doing.

- Gabe

Sheslinger
April 15, 2003, 11:52 AM
Just received an email from Oleg and this project is officially closed. Here is an extract from his email:
THR was set
up in a way that none of the staff take any funds from the members
at large (we cover all costs) for any reason. Your project, though
well-meaning, is running afould of that founding resolution (though
you had no way of knowing about it). Don't know what can be done at
this point, perhaps calling it off would be best? The idea warmed my
heart but THR wasn't the venue to do it because of that (unknown to
you) idea of keeping the staff honest.
Anyway, we thank everyone who gave suggestions and money, and we will be refunding 100% of everyone's contributions as soon as possible by personal checks. Hope this is ok with everyone. Those of you mailing personal checks will just have those returned to you.

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank everyone once again for their effort to make this work.
Julie

twoblink
April 15, 2003, 11:54 AM
I just wanted to say that I've never been to ThunderRanch, but from what I hear, "quality" is an understatement..

But I wanted to ask people to list possible places to send Oleg if that is the vote.

ThunderRanch
GunSight
Sig Academy

That's off the top of my head. FrontSight is not listed for obvious (and maybe not so obvious) reasons.

If anybody else has a recommended place (especially one in TN) speak up!!

Steve Smith
April 15, 2003, 12:00 PM
Sheslinger isn't a staff member. What she does with that P7M8 after we buy it is her business.

Oleg Volk
April 15, 2003, 12:00 PM
I appreciate the good intentions from all. A P7 would indeed be a lovely weapon to have.

However, I can't accept it -- if anything, any goodies would have to go to Derek Zeenah who hosts and runs the software side of THR (with tyme's help and advice) and to the many moderators and members who make this project happen. We decided before the forum opened that we (the moderators) will cover all expenses and stay away from growing into fat-catdom which comes with enjoying too many perks.

But I might ask for a dozen rounds of 308 or a sip from somebody's camelback someday...hopefully that day never comes. For now, I am already fat and happy and have enough guns and now I even have plenty of birthday wishes -- that's great! Thank you!

PS: Please don't take this the wrong way -- I didn't mean to offend anyone by refusing a gift meant from the heart...just that this thread was turning into "THR dues, payback" and the like. (Oh, and I only came into this thread when alerted to the potential problem).

spacemanspiff
April 15, 2003, 12:31 PM
oleg, i doubt you've ever been described as 'fat'....maybe in the homeboy community you could be 'phat', but thats another story.... :evil:

Schuey2002
April 15, 2003, 12:41 PM
Just when I was about to send off a MO ... :(

OF
April 15, 2003, 12:41 PM
Well, it's the thought that counts and you now know the thought, Oleg.

Happy Birthday buddy :)

- Gabe

Penman
April 15, 2003, 12:51 PM
Well, there's an envelope on the way to cslinger, dropped it off this morning. There is a card for Oleg, happy natal day anyway!

Steve Smith
April 15, 2003, 01:04 PM
Sheslinger or anyone else...don't do ANYTHING. This isn't over. This thread will hopefully resume in a VERY short time.

Schuey2002
April 15, 2003, 01:13 PM
Just tell me where and when to send the check and I will...:)

Steve Smith
April 15, 2003, 01:15 PM
Ya'll keep yer checkbooks (paypal account) handy. If there's one thing an ____hole of a moderator can do, its throw a fit.

STAND BY YOUR TARGETS!!!!!

cslinger
April 15, 2003, 01:25 PM
Hey all, this was simply meant to be a win win situation for everybody.

It was meant to get a nice gift for one of the driving forces behind this site and RKBA in general. I figured the members would also get a hoot out of being able to come together as a community and contribute if they wished.

Please don't let this turn into a split with one group being angry at the other group. Can't we all just get along.

As somebody else said it truely is the thought that counts and we will pass on any cards, and all notes that were or are being sent to us but we want to respect the wishes of both Oleg and the sanctity (for lack of a better word) of this site. So I really feel like we should refund all the money we have received.

I in no way wanted this to be a "you have to pay to play" or you should contribute to keep this site running kind of thing. She and I just figured it would be a rather cool thing for all involved.

If anybody is now or was offended in any way or if anybody thinks that we had any alterior motives I am truly sorry and if necessary will be available for public whipping on April 22nd for a small fee of $5 per lashing. :D

Anyhoo happy Birthday and I hope we didn't cause too much of a ruckous. Really we had the best intentions for all in mind.

Now since this was going so well and Sheslinger and I do have credit cards to pay off and we are in no way affiliated with THR just keep those checks and donations coming to the "HELP THE SLINGERS PAY OFF THEIR DEBT AND HAVE A CHILD ACCOUNT" care of.............Just kidding.:D
Chris

OF
April 15, 2003, 01:29 PM
I am truly sorry and if necessary will be available for public whipping on April 22nd for a small fee of $5 per lashing.PayPal sent.

- Gabe

cslinger
April 15, 2003, 02:10 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am truly sorry and if necessary will be available for public whipping on April 22nd for a small fee of $5 per lashing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PayPal sent.

- Gabe

Ouch! Now that is just wrong.:(

Where is the love? Where is the love?

Chris:D

Steve Smith
April 15, 2003, 02:15 PM
Oleg and I have had several e-conversations today and one on the phone. Oleg's concern is that he is seen as being "in charge" or having rank here. He doesn't want folks to give him things because of who he is or what he has done here. I find that incredibly honorable. However, when I sent money, I didn't do it because of any of that. I didn't even think of it. I did it because he's a good guy and I wanted him to have a cool birthday gift. I know a lot of others here feel the same way. When he said what he did, I PMed him and told him that I'd been insulted that he wouldn't take my gift. Do you know what he did? He called me and apologized! Now, just between me, you, and the fencepost I don't know anyone else that would do that. In my opinion, he deserves a GREAT birthday gift because he is a real friend and an honorable individual...even to folks he doesn't know well. Not to mention a tremendous force in the RKBA effort. Amazing.

So, if you sent money as some type of payment for THR, then ask for it back, because Oleg isn't "THR" and THR isn't "Oleg" and he doesn't want it. If you wanted to just give a great guy a gift, press on. I don't want my money back.

Gewehr98
April 15, 2003, 02:19 PM
Ya'll keep yer checkbooks (paypal account) handy. If there's one thing an ____hole of a moderator can do, its throw a fit.

As somebody from the other camp who saw Oleg's reasonable response coming from a long way off... I have to ask: Whaz'up?:confused:

[Edited afterwards, Steve was typing his response at the same time I was asking]

Answered my question already. Sent my e-mails already, re: wrong appearance.

Steve Smith
April 15, 2003, 02:21 PM
What a great time to have your post at the bottom of a page. Ya'll go back to the bottom of page 3.

BTW, if you hadn't figgured it out yet, that ____hole of a Mod is ME!

Sven
April 15, 2003, 02:25 PM
Money sent

cslinger
April 15, 2003, 02:28 PM
As an off topic aside or break from the action as it may be.....

How do you pronounce Gewehr and is it German for assault rifle or rifle or what?

Chris

spacemanspiff
April 15, 2003, 02:31 PM
isnt 'sturmgewehr' german for assault rifle?

4v50 Gary
April 15, 2003, 04:38 PM
Cslinger: check your PM.

Don Gwinn
April 15, 2003, 05:04 PM
I could care less why anyone else is doing it. I just like Oleg for some reason. I would have loved to have been involved in the Sebenza purchase back in the day, but I wasn't around for that. I would point out for anyone who still has doubts about this that when TFL took up a collection to buy Oleg a Sebenza, he was not in a position of any power or influence. He was just another member of TFL then, but there's something about him that makes people want to give him things. Maybe it's because you can tell he's not asking for anything from anyone.

I've gotten some shocking gifts from ArmySon, Rich Lucibella, and some others. I was sponsored as an NRA member by TheBluesMan. Recently I was able to pass along a cheap item I no longer needed to another friend from these forums, and it was a good feeling.

If you wouldn't have sent Oleg anything for his birthday without being asked, then there's no reason to send this either. But if you were thinking of sending something, would you rather he got 100 $10 gifts or a P7?

Peetmoss
April 15, 2003, 05:44 PM
I am in for 10 sent paypal

DeputyVaughn
April 15, 2003, 05:47 PM
I'll concur with Steve Smith's on the bottom of page three. If all else fails I'll consider my money payment for all of the cool wallpaper I've got in my computer now thanks to Oleg. Seriously, Oleg if your peaking, we think the world of you as a man and a friend. The gift is only for that reason. Just be humble and say thanks and enjoy it. I don't believe anyone has felt like there was pressure to send in anything.

Scott A. Vaughn

spacemanspiff
April 15, 2003, 06:06 PM
no one cried foul when glocktalk needed voluntary donations to keep it afloat. this is just a way for us to say thanks to oleg for his work in support of the Constitution. if people dont want to contribute to a nice gift, no big deal. doesnt mean they are less thankful than those who are in a position to contribute.

maybe its just me, but those who complain about this, it sounds like a touch of jealousy.

Preacherman
April 15, 2003, 06:21 PM
See my post in the "cat out of the bag" thread. I'm still in. Check's on the way.

(Puts on preacher's "collection" mode...)

"Dearly beloved, GIVE TILL IT HURTS!!!" (Notice I didn't specify WHO it would hurt... :evil: )

Gewehr98
April 15, 2003, 06:50 PM
"Gewehr" just means "rifle" in German.

Gewehr98 was the official military designation for the Mauser 1898 service rifle. On pre-WWII 98 Mausers, it's even stamped into the left side of the receiver, behind the forward ring. ;)

Has something to do with the dozen or so 98 Mausers in the safes around the house. :D

I know what the intentions were, but it's already becoming a divisive thread:

maybe its just me, but those who complain about this, it sounds like a touch of jealousy.

Betty
April 15, 2003, 08:03 PM
so, ummm.....

am I allowed in here? :uhoh:
cslinger, sheslinger, somebody PM me to let me know.

I only read the last page, I swear.... :p

I've heard little bits of things hitting the fan. Is there anything I can do?

Intune
April 15, 2003, 08:10 PM
Fellow MEMBERS, please temper your responses to this thread. The worst gift we could give this kind soul is dissension within the ranks. A pall would also be cast upon the slingers, good people who have shouldered a commendable task and should not be made to feel uncomfortable for that effort. No one is at disfavor with the other on this matter. The procedure has been outlined. The Golden Rule and the Hippocratic Oath might fare all of us well here.

Sven
April 15, 2003, 08:21 PM
OK, what kind of engraving? Which artist? ;)

cslinger
April 15, 2003, 08:24 PM
A pall would also be cast upon the slingers, good people who have shouldered a commendable task and should not be made to feel uncomfortable for that effort. No one is at disfavor with the other on this matter. The procedure has been outlined. The Golden Rule and the Hippocratic Oath might fare all of us well here.

I'm not exactly sure what you said but I think I like it. You and those SAT words, hippopotomus oaths and golden calves.:D

Really thanks for the attempt at mediating. Now grab a helmet and get down.:what:

pax
April 15, 2003, 09:37 PM
I am closing this at Sheslinger's request.

Everything that happened here, happened with the best of intentions. No one set out to hurt anyone else and no one wants to see anyone else hurt.

Please, before you go firing off annoyed PMs to each other, take a break. Step away from the computer, take a deep breath, and take time to remember what the High Road is really all about.

pax

Without forgiveness life is governed by an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation. -- Roberto Assagioli

If you enjoyed reading about "An idea for Oleg's birthday. Effort back in swing...Oleg keep out! ;)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!