Biathalon actions?

PDA

Lupinus
February 12, 2006, 01:09 AM
As some of you probably know the winter olymics have started and this morning they had the biathalon.

Anyone know what kind of action it is on those rifles? You have to manualy move it like a bolt action but you just need your finger and don't need to move your hand much, looks to just move the bolt strait back and springs foreward agian on its own.

Anyone know what it is? Looks interesting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Biathalon actions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pbhome71
February 12, 2006, 01:56 AM
I believe that they are all straight pull action.

-Pat

Sactown
February 12, 2006, 02:02 AM
One of the straight pull actions is called a Fortner made by Anschutz.

Lucky
February 12, 2006, 04:21 AM
The targets look big, on tv, but the part they have to hit is like a nickle.

Lupinus
February 12, 2006, 09:17 AM
yeah the total target is the size of an orange but they need to hit the center of it and that is the size of a silver dollar roughly. And they needed to hit it at 50 meters. Forget what that translates to in yardage but IIRC a meter is just a litter more then a yard so Im guessing somewhere around 55 yards. Thats a long way to hit such a small target with a 22LR which is I'm pretty sure what they use. And to hit it consistantly without a scope, fancy irons but I don't think they are allowed any scopes, thats good marksmenship.

And I figured it would have something simple name like strait pull lol but who knows sometimes. That action looks interesting and could be fun to play with. Also like what the one guy had, same basic thing but a knob on it that he twisted rather then a level to be pulled cause he had hurt his thumb or something.

Pappy John
February 12, 2006, 10:19 AM
I watched that competition yesterday also.

I feel pretty confident that I could clean those targets offhand at 50 meters with my tricked out 10/22 that carries a 6-18X42 AO scope.

BUT JUMPIN' COWS!!!! They was doin' it with IRON SIGHTS all while their heart rates were ticking along at 165-150 BPM from the skiing!!!!!:what: :scrutiny:

Whewww!!!

Awesome!

Lupinus
February 12, 2006, 10:27 AM
not sure if you catched it but about the heart beats they said something yesterday.

It is better for the heart to be beating really fast in the 165 and above range because at that high the beats are more shallow. But when it slows down below 150 or something like that it beats harder and moves you more. Not sure of the exact numbers he said so I'm guesstimating them. And yeah with a scope it would be easier but five targets the size of a silver dollar at 50 meters that quick could still be a challenge. But them sights were irons. Fancy irons but irons, thats what really made it interesting.

Pappy John
February 12, 2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah, Lupinus, I caught that part of the commentary. I also noticed the barrels bobbing up and down when they first got into their stance. Two or three breaths and the bobbing abruptly stopped and the muzzles became rock steady. :confused: Amazing!

Langenator
February 12, 2006, 12:34 PM
I wish they had a counterpart-distance running and rifle shooting-at the summer Olympics.

US might actually get some medals in that.

Lupinus
February 12, 2006, 12:38 PM
that would be cool lange

Mk VII
February 12, 2006, 12:52 PM
The late Malcolm Cooper could depress his heart rate just by sheer willpower

Mal H
February 12, 2006, 01:41 PM
"... looks to just move the bolt strait back and springs foreward agian on its own."

I Tivo'ed what little they had of the Biathlon. Playing back the extreme closeup of the action as the shooter worked it in slow motion, it looked like he pulled it back with his (gloved!) index finger and pushed it forward on the rear of the action with his thumb. It didn't look like it went forward under spring tension. At any rate, it is a very interesting looking action.

Oh, and calling the sight system on those rifles "iron sights" is like calling the shifters in a NASCAR racer a "stick shift". ;)

RecoilRob
February 12, 2006, 04:18 PM
http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/bi-7.shtml

Saw one of these at the last gunshow in P'burgh. Neat stuff.

Cosmoline
February 12, 2006, 05:27 PM
An Alaskan, Jay Hakkinen just broke the previous US record with a 10th place finish overall.

http://www.adn.com/sports/story/7440942p-7351756c.html

His finish was the first top 10 for an American in an Olympic biathlon race. Previously, Hakkinen's 13th place in the biathlon pursuit at the 2002 Olympics was the American standard.

Perhaps most impressive, though, was the way Hakkinen competed.

His ski time was the second fastest on the challenging course among more than 75 biathletes.

Only legendary Ole Einar Bjoerndalen, the Norwegian silver medalist, was faster. Bjoerndalen thrives on hilly, high-altitude courses such as the one set up for these Winter Games in Cesana San Sicario, Italy. Bjorndalen's ski time was 52:39 compared to Hakkinen's 53:10.9.

HerrWolfe
February 12, 2006, 06:09 PM
Had seen that the Biathlon was on Saturday but could not find it. What nework was it on, if anyone would be so kind. And was it from satellite, cable or on the air? One of my favorite competitions, and I messed up somehow.

pbhome71
February 12, 2006, 06:16 PM
http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/bi-7.shtml

Saw one of these at the last gunshow in P'burgh. Neat stuff.

This one is definitely on the list of gun to have. :)

-Pat

JohnKSa
February 12, 2006, 10:48 PM
WARNING! BEFORE reading farther, please read the disclaimer at the end of the post.

CDNN has some Biathlon type rifles for sale. I think they're all out of .22LR and are down to just .22WMR.

rust collector
February 12, 2006, 11:58 PM
The Izhmash biathlon basic is a far cry from the rifles olympians are using. Most of those will be Tanners, Anschutz, Walthers and the odd upper end Izhmash.

It is a serviceable straight pull .22, however. Don't know if they're being imported anymore, but were quite common for awhile.

Lupinus
February 13, 2006, 12:02 AM
mal-

those guys were fast so that might very well be.

Either way though it looks like a very cool action. More accurate them semi-auto, but faster then bolt.

Fly320s
February 13, 2006, 12:10 AM
I remember seeing a rifle action that was worked with the shooter's palm. The stock that made up the palm swell (pistol grip type stock) was a lever that worked the action with a twist of the palm. It was a very fast set-up, yet I haven't seen it since.

Harry Tuttle
February 13, 2006, 12:14 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40802

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=435227

Langenator
February 13, 2006, 01:14 PM
I read on someone's blog that Hakkinen (very Finnish sounding surname, BTW) would have earned the bronze if not for one of his shots hitting the target but failing to knock it over.

Another case of not "Using enough gun?" :uhoh:

JohnKSa
February 13, 2006, 11:00 PM
WARNING! BEFORE reading farther, please read the disclaimer at the end of the post.

All biathlon rifles are .22LR, so you have no caliber choice. The targets (at least the one's I've seen) aren't really "knock-over" targets. There's a small target area which will activate a pop-up paddle to cover the target area when hit. I don't know exactly how they operate, but your post was the first time I've heard of one being hit but not operating.

Lupinus
February 13, 2006, 11:04 PM
did it hit the actual taget?

The target is only the middle of the black area. Black area is the size of a coffee cup saucer, actual target is the size of a silver dollar

Omaha-BeenGlockin
February 14, 2006, 06:39 AM
Caught the womens biathalon last night---not only could they shoot---a couple of those gals were kinda hot too---or maybe is was because they could shoot????:D

And yes---those actions were quite interesting.

Michael Courtney
February 14, 2006, 10:14 AM
I've got an Izhmash Biathalon: sort of a sporterized version that came with a weaver scope mount instead of the aperature sights. I ordered it through Gander Mountain last year for under $200. It is a very nice 22LR and I've shot NRA smallbore qualification scores as high as 199/200 at 50 yards with it and I am almost always above 190/200 unless it is windy.

Michael Courtney

Langenator
February 14, 2006, 03:29 PM
RE: Hakkinen hitting the target but not dropping it

His collapse in the 10km only makes his 10th-place finish in the 20km race more painful. There, a split bullet that hit the target but failed to drop it cost him the bronze.

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/biathlon/news?slug=ap-bia-hakkinenstorment&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Apparently he had a really bad day at the firing line in the 10km...missed all five targets on the first set, finished 80th out of 90.

toivo
February 19, 2006, 02:40 AM
RE: Hakkinen hitting the target but not dropping it

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006/biathlon/news?slug=ap-bia-hakkinenstorment&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Apparently he had a really bad day at the firing line in the 10km...missed all five targets on the first set, finished 80th out of 90.Right--if you don't hit solid in the target area (if you hit "on the line"), the target won't go down.

If you enjoyed reading about "Biathalon actions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!